Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > POF webcam scam      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KaratekidII
Msg: 1
POF webcam scamPage 1 of 1    
I just had an experience with my first online scam on here! It was pretty funny, to me anyway! Lol, the purported girl and I messaged back and forth a few times, and that's where my inner alerts first started going off. "She" was responding to my messages, but it was like she wasn't reading everything I'd said, and only replying to some of what I'd written every time she'd reply. I tried to brush it off though because most of my experience with dating site or app scammers has been that they don't respond at all to what I say and just push right through to there agenda, saying things like "I'm so bored right now" Or jumping right into saying things like "I'm so horny"! (People have no decency anymore! lol)

So, I let the conversation go on, and then she asked if I wanted to video chat. I said sure, to which she replied that she tried to invite me, but that it wasn't letting her. She said I needed to turn on the setting, so I looked for a setting that allowed chat and could not find one. Then she said that you had to write the POF admin to get them to activate video capabilities. I couldn't find that either, so she said she'd do it for me and asked for my email address. I gave her my email figuring, hell, let's see where this goes! I then immediately got an email from POF "admin" regarding activating my video chat capabilities. Yet, the site link I had to follow, was on wixisite.com. Which to those of you who don't know, is a website that lets you build your own webpage. I immediately knew it was an attempt at a scam, so, being who I am, I messaged the person I'd been communicating with that they'd been outed, and gave them some helpful advice. That if they hoped to scam people and steal their credit card info, they needed to up their game, and at least create a believable card info stealing webpage! I was about to send a follow up message with the advice to not just copy and paste pictures and logos that are small and then blow them up larger because it looks pixilated and unprofessional hahaha, but when I hit send, I was informed that the account of the "girl" I'd been talking to had been deleted. Score one for me for not being born yesterday! lol
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 2
POF webcam scam
Posted: 5/1/2017 3:44:28 AM
Never heard of the webcam scam before, but have had a few scammers get in touch with me before and I just report and block them. The chances are the person you were talking to was a Nigerian male scammer and not a woman at all. The scammers know that some people on dating sites are lonely and have mental health issues, so they think they are easy targets and it's very sad people take advantage of the vulnerable. You need to delete that email address you gave to the scammer and create a new one, because you never know?
 Squareslice
Msg: 4
POF webcam scam
Posted: 5/17/2017 4:59:32 PM
chuckaway emails are easy.... hotmail is the prime one... I reckon the OP is savvy to that
 jim27106
Msg: 5
view profile
History
POF webcam scam
Posted: 8/6/2017 12:25:45 AM
>> gave her my email figuring,
risky. but I assume you are using things like Mailinator.com

>> gave them some helpful advice
Please don't give scammers and spammers hints. Candidly, I don't think most of them care to spend the time to learn. However, the better they get the worse it gets for the rest of us.
 Frogman828
Msg: 6
POF webcam scam
Posted: 10/20/2017 9:14:48 AM
Thanks for the info on this! I just received the same request for the same site. I knew it was fishy (no pun intended) so I decided to call POF. I saw this before reaching anyone so many thanks for the tip. I don’t give cc info easily.
 colebowl
Msg: 7
view profile
History
POF webcam scam
Posted: 11/18/2017 6:26:16 PM
I just had that happen today with that scam I gave my email address and then she deleted her account I didn’t put in my credit card information will I be all right
 Lpoolgent71
Msg: 8
POF webcam scam
Posted: 3/19/2018 11:16:47 AM
Just had _pretty_gurrrrrr a lady from Wrexham try the same scam, but the give away was she provided a g mail r mail for pof admin. Was I born yesterday NO asked if she had Kik which is safe. She blocked me then reported her hopefully be gone soon
 romzstein
Msg: 9
view profile
History
POF webcam scam
Posted: 3/26/2018 7:19:19 PM
Happened to me too.. just now.. reported her PrettyOlivia02612_
 VeeDub_EVO_III
Msg: 10
POF webcam scam
Posted: 4/28/2018 10:55:39 AM
That's a unique scam attempt. I've never had that one before.

Thanks for the heads up! I posted a thread trying to warn others about a smart-phone scam where you get billed for calling a number apparently... check it out.
 Marcsteve74
Msg: 11
POF webcam scam
Posted: 5/1/2018 8:26:32 PM
I just had the same thing happen to me the person was very opinionated about only using this website and wont deviate in the least from there plan also call you Baby and Honey a Lot this was a new one for me. I just reported them they have the opening line canyouhealmybrokenheart and claim to have been catfished and want you to do this to prove yoou are who you say you are they where, they where very convincing at first until they asked for my email. Short answer its a SCAM
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
POF webcam scam
Posted: 7/24/2018 10:01:23 AM
had something like it, used a yahoo email address, it has a couple of thousand of unread emails in it

not sure of the site, but it was free one, gave them card numbers off a credit generation site

would never offer advice to a scammer or spammer, but did have one who was using their isp to host their site and sent email, they lost that ability :)
 Swizzlestix18
Msg: 13
view profile
History
POF webcam scam
Posted: 8/26/2018 6:07:41 PM
People are still doing it. I had TWO on the same night at the same time trying the exact same thing. I’m guessing it was probably one person with two fake profiles. Tried to get me to agree to a video chat because they wanted to make sure I was who I said I was cause they had been catfished lol.

What I thought was unique about this was, it was long after conversation! We had been talking for about 10mins. You can usually tell by asking some weird question like “what’s your favourite colour?” But this time they had actually answered those..so you bring in a totally weird question..like “do you believe in Aliens?” Or “how old is your mom?” And you’ll see they won’t answer.

Anyway, keep your eyes open!
 MtRushmore1970
Msg: 14
view profile
History
POF webcam scam
Posted: 11/23/2018 1:32:35 PM

Please don't give scammers and spammers hints. Candidly, I don't think most of them care to spend the time to learn. However, the better they get the worse it gets for the rest of us.

It's not that they don't care to learn, they're willing to adapt and adopt new tactics from "hints".

Best thing to do is report them, block them, move along.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > POF webcam scam