Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Get Togethers  > Considering starting an event - input sought      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Starion
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Considering starting an event - input soughtPage 1 of 1    
I just came across this after seeing zero events remotely close to SWFL, just Tampa, Orlando, MIA, or further yet.

Have any of you set one of these up?, and if so, I'd appreciate some input.

I'm concerned about it being a DUDEfest, as has happened with other meetups, and Match events. Also concerned about keeping ages within a reasonable pool. I'm 36 and in FL, so I'm looking for a group of potential daters reasonably close to that despite my living in what many so tastefully refer to as "Heaven's waiting room". ;-)
 SLAFFA
Msg: 2
Considering starting an event - input sought
Posted: 5/10/2017 9:11:58 AM
Click on USA FORUMS, then Florida, then Florida Singles events. Scroll down the list and find a host with many events/a good track record and write directly to them for advice. Most of them would likely be more than happy to give you the ins and outs/inside scoop and get you pointed in the right direction. I believe there is only one event mod now for all events but not sure.

I don't believe it's in any way "legal" per event rules to specify ages for an event.
 JoeyT2870
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2017 9:34:04 AM
Like I posted on my thread, POF does not allow you to "exclusive" a event to a certain age group, and you cannot put limits on people coming to keep the male/female ratio somewhat balanced. The Idea that was said of contacting a party planner close to you for ideas sounds like the best thing you can do, although after seeing your location, I can see that you have a lot of the same issues as I have here in Vancouver with location. If I can help at all just post and I'll reply
 SLAFFA
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/10/2017 11:44:55 AM
I might have added (unless it has changed in the last 4 or 5 years) is that "larger/more established/more busier nights" places don't want to risk scaring off (sounds stupid/lame to me) their regular clientele so they are reluctant to allow a PoF event unless they have a very slow certain night a week and/or they have a separate room. <<< This is what numerous party hosts have told me. It may account for why so few events are held IN Tampa but many within 20 minutes.

Taking pics AT an event is one of the major pluses for attending IMO. This is something you need to be clear on with management if it is on your party wish list. I have had "issues" at some places with the management being wishy washy.
 JoeyT2870
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2017 1:57:13 PM
Agreed......most bars that have regular clientele are very hesitant to "piss off" their regulars on the weekend. I asked about 6-7 bars around me if they would be able to host a party, and was told that even though they KNOW that they would have 100-150 people coming into the doors to spend money, they would not have one due to not wanting to alienate their regulars......might be better to rent a cheap hall and hire a DJ, but then that creates expences
 Starion
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2017 1:52:12 AM
Thanks all. Sounds like there's not much that can be done about items I asked about. Free-for-all & cross the fingers I guess.

I figure giving it a good 2-3 weeks advance minimum would be a good idea to build interest over time.

You'll laugh, but there's a bowling alley centrally located that the owner sunk $2million into the place including a swanky lounge/bar that doesn't get much action for their weekend karaoke. I'm considering an open bowling invite ,then officially start event around 9 at the bar for singing/darts/socializing. Great food and they'd prob. offer specials for the POF crowd. If a hit, can seek other locations like roller skating, SkyZone, a beach day between water & a sponsoring bar/restaurant, etc.
 JoeyT2870
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2017 9:31:07 AM
If you haven't already, talk to the owner and get the OK for it 1st, and ask him about food/drink specials. That will help for sure. The idea of early bowling a a mixer sounds fun, as people can get to know each other there, and then go mingle in the bar for karaoke and more time together after......Keep me posted as to how it's going and how it went for you
 JelleyBean1956
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/11/2017 5:59:11 PM
I'll show you the party I just put on the board about 8 days ago..

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16619732.aspx
 SLAFFA
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/11/2017 8:30:04 PM
Very nice write up on your party JB. I did not want to post to your thread. If this is a state or county park they don't allow alcohol. At least they don't here in Fl. unless things have changed. You might want to mention this? You will still have plenty of folks sneaking stuff in. Also, I am guessing the event mod might not be happy if you decide to delete people w/o pics.

With almost 5 weeks left, you should hit 300 or more!
 jelli_fish
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2017 10:09:56 PM
I am also intetested in hosting an event myself in Los Angeles. Glad you got some positive responses. Ill look into some local venues in my area as well as check back here with those that have done events.
 chongpeace
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/26/2017 1:51:04 PM
Are you still considering hosting events? I am in Jacksonville, 3 hours away from Tampa. I may join if you host events, especially those hiking, sight seeing events :)
 seekinganactiveone
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/5/2018 3:55:50 PM
I've hosted several events....

But I enjoy hosting events at public events which are already planned so I can meet singles and not cliques.
Sounds like Meetup.com but in the meetup groups I've met too many cliques. Adults who are introverted and too shy to step out of their circle to say hello and start up a conversation
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Get Togethers  > Considering starting an event - input sought