Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Tesla releases details of its solar roof tiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LOLTrump
Msg: 1
Tesla releases details of its solar roof tilesPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
This is the future, not coal.

Tesla releases details of its solar roof tiles: cheaper than regular roof with ‘infinity warranty’ and 30 yrs of solar power

Tesla released today all the information to order its new solar roof tiles products – starting with the smooth black glass tiles and the textured glass tiles, as reported earlier today.

Of course, the most important information that people were waiting for is price. CEO Elon Musk first hinted that it would be cheaper than a regular roof after accounting for energy savings, and later said that Tesla’s solar roof could cost less than a regular roof – even before energy production.

Tesla pretty much delivered on both depending on how you look at it.

Of course, the most important information that people were waiting for is price. CEO Elon Musk first hinted that it would be cheaper than a regular roof after accounting for energy savings, and later said that Tesla’s solar roof could cost less than a regular roof – even before energy production.

Tesla pretty much delivered on both depending on how you look at it.

The company says that the “typical homeowner can expect to pay $21.85 per square foot for a Solar Roof.”

What is important to understand is that not all tiles on the roof would be solar tiles. It depends on the energy needs of the household and shading coming from structural items such as dormers. For the house pictured above, all the tiles are from Tesla, but only some of them have solar cells in them that can generate electricity – though it’s not visible from street view.

The $21.85 per square foot price point was calculated for a roof where 35 percent of the tiles are solar (solar tiles cost more per square foot than non-solar tiles). During a conference call with journalists today, Musk said that in some cases, depending on the roofs, customers will be able to have up to 70% solar tiles, but in most cases, it will be about 40%.

https://electrek.co/2017/05/10/tesla-solar-roof-tiles-price-warranty/
 malley
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Tesla releases details of its solar roof tiles
Posted: 5/10/2017 6:44:28 PM
I'm curious to know if these would withstand Newfoundland winters.

This is the future, not coal

True.
Maybe, some day, the powers that be will shift their focus to using all renewable resources.
 gtomustang
Msg: 3
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/10/2017 8:06:00 PM
Ronald Reagan, the man who tore solar panels off the White House, is rolling around. Trumpets are up in arms, they wish to make America Great Again, and going backwards is the only way they can see to do it. Coal and oil can be the only way to do it. Letting those "libtards" create new jobs with new technology can't be done for...some reason. Oh wait, b/c Obama used to want to sponsor things like solar companies.

we must fear change. we can only go backwards.
 427cammer
Msg: 4
view profile
History
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/10/2017 11:51:50 PM
gtomustang:

Letting those "libtards" create new jobs with new technology can't be done for...some reason.

At one time you quite often showed desire to be reasonable with people in your posts... nowadays I just see rare glimpses. You're building a strawman here... most people (and I'd say especially consevatives)want efficient energy and have no problem with green alternatives if they are workable.

Last year I built a 2500 sq ft shop at my place and this summer I'll be insulating and heating it. I'm going to be doing floor heat which uses a boiler pushing heated glycol through plastic lines in my concrete floor. My plumber is recommending a high efficiency wall mounted boiler and I will probably go with that but there is some hesitation... in many ways I prefer the old fashioned low tech boilers. There are still a lot of boilers around from 40 years ago that are still churning out heat (the house I grew up in for one), from asking around these new ones usually conk out at about the ten year mark. Still, I'll probably go with the high efficient one, partly because I don't trust that the old style ones they are still building will last like the genuine old ones. Also the new one will take up less space in my parts room and I like that I can run a 3" plastic line out my back wall for exhaust instead of cutting a 12" hole through my attic and roof and give more plces for the rain and snow to creep in.

I think an awful lot of people don't realise that all of these eco-friendly corporations are primarily in business because they want to make boatloads of money.... which is why all the high efficiency appliances (and in the future... electric autos) people rush out to buy are dead within 5-10 years. They are by no means more evil than oil companies... but I certainly wouldn't say they're any better.

gto... is there anyting here that you may want to discuss?.... or have you become just like all the rest of the libtards here and only want to whine and b*tch about Trump?

....from a guy who has shingled roofs before, $21/sq ft is still much more expensive (doing the work myself I think it's about $1.50/sq ft for shingles and felt). Also in the summertime we're getting up to 18-19 hrs sunlight a day... in the winter... when it's minus 10 to minus 40 and we need energy... we're getting 8-10 hrs sunlight.
 Maleman999
Msg: 5
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/11/2017 5:34:56 AM

Tesla released today all the information to order its new solar roof tiles products – starting with the smooth black glass tiles and the textured glass tiles, as reported earlier today.

I can foresee a number of issues with this product, especially when retrofitting to an existing roof. First of all, how do these glass tiles hold up in places with adverse weather conditions-like places where there is regularly a foot or two of snow on the roof for all or part of the winter, or preventing cracks or leaks at the joints when going from extreme heat in the summer to extreme cold in the winter.

Would there be enough solar power to allow a person to come off of the grid and rely strictly on the solar power, or would home owners still have to rely on the conventional power source at times? To store solar power to be used at night or in cloudy weather, that would require some sort of battery system. How big would this be and where would it be stored, and how long would it last before needing to be recharged? If it's a battery system of any size, I wouldn't feel comfortable having that inside the house. A person better check their city's building codes first, before altering the power source to a house, to be sure it can be legally done.

Another cost to consider, if it's not built into the initial cost, is the cost of rewiring the house to connect the power from the solar system to the rest of the house, or having a system where the power source can be alternated between solar power and the conventional power source from the utility company. Any kind of electrical work is pricey, if you're not a handyman who can rewire a house.

Like with any new product (even though solar power is not new), the people who initially jump on board will be the guinea pigs to test the product out, and see if there any problems that have to be worked out, or decide that the business is a bust. It's best to wait to see if this takes off and finding out if there are problems with it, before jumping on board-unless you like guinea pig food.

gtomustang
Msg: 6
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/11/2017 5:59:20 AM
Thanks for the compliment, 427cammer. You are right, Rick Perry saw the light about wind farms in Texas. People of both parties are finally understanding that efficiency is the way to go. Partly that is due to technology, but of course the technology could have been discovered decades ago if it hadn't been so dismissed by those with their heads in the sand. We might have taken longer to create the microchip if the government (ie, NASA) hadn't paid to go to the moon rather than wait for the version of Elon Musk or Sir Richard Branson to come along (maybe Howard Hughes?).

Individuals are capable of creating technology, but as we know, industry tends to stay with the way things are--its cheaper, until its finally not cheaper. How many times did you hear that government regulations were going to strangle the automobile industry, now we have 6 cylinder engines making 300 hp and getting great gas mileage due to being dragged kicking and screaming. Who would have thought that was possible when we grew up? We were still talking about 100mph carburators and only diesels benefitted from direct injection. GM had Rochester Fuel Injection from 1957 until I think 1965, always wondered why they didn't throw it on the corporate 305 in the late 1970's and evolve it from there. some mechanics didn't understand it and confused ignition issues with fuel delivery issues, solved when they pulled both off to change to a carb and intake.

My late father's got a collection of Mother Earth News from the 1970's looking into solar cells and wind power. Gas was cheaper then, except of course in 1973. We seemed to forget even and odd days of being allowed to get gas. Focusing on alternate energy sources would have helped, the technology was rough but so were carburators. Even now, we still talk in politics about coal mining, when natural gas is outpricing it. There's a lot of technology that gets tossed aside b/c its "libtard" technology. We could be less reliant on foreign sources of oil. The military has been using solar cells for its commando units who invade a foreign territory and don't want to exactly leave a trail of extension cords, so the technology has been working for a while, the beta test phase is coming to an end. Will there be some "adjustment" for consumers? Likely the same that was with home computers and electricity replacing gas lamps inside houses.

the argument, of course, is we didn't have the technology "then". But we never do, we have to try and experiment and use economies of scale to get the technology to work. When NASA went to the moon, there was a massive development of technology we take for granted today. Pretty soon we won't worry about solar panels in the winter b/c we'll store the energy generated while homeowners are at work, in batteries or maybe some fuel cell to be used later in the day. I know people who have the panels on the roof, they claim the snow slides off so they don't have to climb up and shovel it off. but the panels can be located elsewhere on the property, typically dependant upon where the sun shines. And there has to be a minimum amount of electricity used for there to be a savings.

Unfortunately, Trump may cut the tax relief that spurs the recent growth of this industry:

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2017/04/27/trump-tax-cuts-could-hit-solar-project-finance/

"Industry leaders fear the tax credits may not survive a Trump administration which has vowed to cut $100bn (£80bn) of climate spending, and will need to find more savings to fund $6.2tn (£5tn) of tax cuts."

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/dec/21/trumps-solar-renewables-future-industry

that would be a pity to cut an American growth industry.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 7
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/11/2017 8:49:17 AM

They are guaranteed for lifetime as a tile and 30 years to generate power, so no worries.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 8
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/11/2017 8:49:25 AM

They are guaranteed for lifetime as a tile and 30 years to generate power, so no worries.
 cotter
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2017 10:11:40 AM

Tesla releases details of its solar roof tiles: cheaper than regular roof with ‘infinity warranty’ and 30 yrs of solar power

When I made the plans for our home in Europe, I purposely designed it so that solar panels could be put in at any time and the home was also placed so that optimal roof space could be exposed to the sun. In addition, I saw to it that all the water lines were installed to accommodate the solar heat. We also had a state of the art (at the time) heating system installed that recycled heat from the home back into the heating system.

Instead of water lines running through the floor circulating hot water (very popular back then in Europe), we used a special heat-conducting cement and installed our air vents in that cement in the floor. The floor was heated and the vents were strategically placed to circulate the air in the home to all areas of each room.

I have been contemplating solar panels for my current home ... have good roof exposure to the sunnier times of day ... east, south and west. I think it would be an easy conversion.

I'm also considering a whole house natural gas generator for when I lose electricity. I am not interested in the mess of broken water lines in winter and am further not interested in losing food when the electricity falls out in summer. A fireplace is not a consideration for me because most are useless if there is no blower function and without electricity there is no blower option.

A free-standing stove is not practical for me the way my home is set up.
 hopefulhunk
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/11/2017 11:13:59 AM
Look out cotter.
Because you posted here.... she is going to think solar power is antisemitic!!!

Never heard of heat generating cement.
How long ago was that?

You might be surprised what a Rocket stove mass heater can do.
Mylittlehomstead on you tube has some good videos.
They do a series on earth friendly building and alternative technology.
Pretty neat.

Tulakivi fireplaces work on the same principle.

Passive solar makes for great heat in sunny climes.

Folks are working to make use of solar stirling motors too.
They have a pump for irrigation... seems like a generator would work too.

Imagine that... buy a machine that powers your home with no cost... other than initial.
The irrigation pump is about $1200? Pumps 100k gallons a day.

Free electricity, heat, water! All fairly possible.
Not needing to put gas in the car... imagine.

Why don't we develop that? NASA holds a patent for this technology. Why not?

oh... big business.
It might change the world.
Too bad for our savings.
Too bad for the environment.
Good for ..... who?
 cotter
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2017 2:04:57 PM
Message 10 ...
hopeful ...
Look out cotter.
Because you posted here.... she is going to think solar power is antisemitic!!!

Oh well ... shit happens ... eh?

Never heard of heat generating cement.
How long ago was that?

Heat-conducting cement. It is called estrich and apparently has elements in it that is conducive to conducting heat ... allowed the heat from the small ducts we laid in the floor to spread throughout the floor. The ducts were perhaps 5" by 2.5" and were spread out through the room on the floor and then all lead to vents at strategic areas where cold was expected to enter the room ... under windows or at the front door, back door.

The main part of the home was all open ... living room, dining room, kitchen ... no doors on those rooms so air circulated freely. Also, we had open stairs ... again to allow air to circulate between the levels of the home. (Timber on steel frames.) The cold air return had a system built into it that recycled the heat back into the heating system with special vents strategically placed in rooms that traditionally generated more heat ... i.e. the kitchen had one right above the stove.

We also used special blocks on the exterior of the home made of a clay mixture that they put little Styrofoam balls into the mix and then when it baked, the Styrofoam melted and left air pockets that created a block that was more insulating than just a regular old concrete block.

There's all kinds of things you can do to save energy / preserve heat / save the environment ... however, it might be anti-Semitic to do it. Hell it's probably anti-Semitic to even talk about it ... eh?
 forumslady
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/11/2017 4:22:44 PM
hopefulhunk- Why don't we develop that? NASA holds a patent for this technology. Why not?

oh... big business.
It might change the world.
Too bad for our savings.
Too bad for the environment.
Good for ..... who?

Good for people with a vested interest in making sure we rely on the same energy sources that we have been for a long time now.

We are going to have to eventually, if for no other reason than some of the sources will run out.

Why think about the future when they are making millions now?

@ cotter- You better stop, you're gonna get in trouble, or burn in hell. How do I know? Cause the bible tells us so. :D ;) (sorry, couldn't resist)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/11/2017 4:52:10 PM
Someone somewhere is trying to figure out how they can buy the Sun.
WE can clone dinos again, fuel problem solved ( for a bit)
What do Greens and Vegans have in common? They have to announce the fact moments after meeting you.
I had an organic scone yesterday.. tastes like a reg scone. Butter came in a paper container that has to be trashed. Stir sticks instead of spoons to stir the coffee ( but they did have a lot of brown sugar to sweeten the coffee)
I think I nearly yelled where is the damn sugar?
Scone was $3.50
Someone green from my paper :)
 congupnaroad
Msg: 14
view profile
History
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/11/2017 6:08:44 PM
MSG 5

I have solar panels and they are mounted on the roof. What happens is during daylight hours even if it cloudy they generate enough power so that you are not drawing power from the grid. Excess is fed back into the grid and you get credits from the power company.

Obviously at night they don't generate power and you are drawing from the grid. There is no need to do any rewiring to your house at all.

Tesla now has a battery system that allows people to store power to be used at night and they can be totally independent from the grid. However at present that system is really expensive and out of reach of a lot of people, however in time that cost will most likely come down.

I can also tell you that the transition away from coal fired power stations to renewables such as wind turbines has not been a positive experience here in Australia. In South Australia they shut down 2 coal fired power stations and what happens is that in summer they have massive blackouts. In short that means they made a rash decision.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/11/2017 6:09:14 PM

Someone somewhere is trying to figure out how they can buy the Sun.

No, someone is figuring out how to sell it.

WE can clone dinos again, fuel problem solved ( for a bit)

We do not have a fuel problem, we have a emission problem.

We need to start using fuels with fewer emissions.

And between the Sun and the Wind we have have infinity more than we could ever need, but we need to get better at storing it.

So for now, we also need to see that micro grids make more sense than macro, as we should not need to build new power sources if we just reduce the demand by supplementing it with solar.
 427cammer
Msg: 16
view profile
History
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/11/2017 10:18:21 PM
gtomustang.... if someone tells me I used to be good looking, I wouldn't take it as a compliment. Constructive criticism maybe. You have been completely amicable in this last post... thank you.

Individuals are capable of creating technology, but as we know, industry tends to stay with the way things are--its cheaper, until its finally not cheaper. How many times did you hear that government regulations were going to strangle the automobile industry, now we have 6 cylinder engines making 300 hp and getting great gas mileage due to being dragged kicking and screaming.

I think private enterprise provides much more innovation than anything the government could ever do. NASA isn't the same agency now as it was in the 60's... it has become a slow moving typical government bureaucracy... if the race to the moon were to start tomorrow it would be won by somebody in the private sector. The best minds in the world are already working on ways for us to leave carbon fuels behind.... these smart people know that if they can build a battery that is safe and reliable and powerful then they have the world in the palm of their hand.

People who think that throwing more money at this will provide solutions are lying to themselves I think. Batteries will only get so powerful and we might already be nearing that limit.... just like a gallon of gasoline can only do so much work and that is all (never believed in the urban myth of the 100 mpg carbeurator). Frankly, new technology leaves me unimpressed... as far as changing peoples' lives, I think much more was accomplished between 1900-1970 than the years since.

There is no sense in shutting down coal fired generating plants until other sources are ready to replace them... <<<< this would seem to be a simple concept but I'm amazed at how many people don't know this. Just like some seem to think that if pipelines are not built to transport oil then people will quit using oil I guess.

...and everything is going to have a cost to the environment.... I would expect someone who wants natural gas generating stations to replace coal to be proponents of pipelines and well bore fraccing (which is how we spell it in the Canadian oilfield ... short for fracturing... though I suspect most Canadian journalists are unaware of this).
 LOLTrump
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/12/2017 7:11:53 AM

I think private enterprise provides much more innovation than anything the government could ever do.

Examples of which would be?

People who think that throwing more money at this will provide solutions are lying to themselves I think.

Then clearly you have no idea how pure science works.

Batteries will only get so powerful and we might already be nearing that limit....

This is based on what information?

Frankly, new technology leaves me unimpressed...

Well clearly that settles it then.

There is no sense in shutting down coal fired generating plants until other sources are ready to replace them...

This is happening where?

Just like some seem to think that if pipelines are not built to transport oil then people will quit using oil I guess.

Maybe some of those people understand that most of those pipelines are to ship oil that cannot even ben used domestically and is just to export dirty oil to other parts of the world and as such has no energy benefit to the USA and only goes to unnecessarily increase the risk to the environment.
 gtomustang
Msg: 18
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/12/2017 7:12:18 AM
Heck, saying I was once good at something beats being told I never was :) lol

There was a recent time when Americans believed government was the solution to big problems. War on drugs, on poverty, fixing waterways with dams and the TVA, etc. NASA began as NACA, and it may not be the agency it once was b/c it obtained its goal:

https://www.history.nasa.gov/naca/overview.html

and yes, it does seem to be searching for new goals in order to stimulate funding. Flying to the moon seemed to help big industry, but there's a lot of nothing out there, and how does that help create new products via R&D? Well, maybe the Cassini project, using nuclear power as it slingshot past the Earth rather than some other source of energy that wouldn't risk the atmosphere in case of miscalculation...

there are private businesses rethinking the battery

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/407207/battery-breakthrough/

and you're right, throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it...but it sure can sell a lot of stock certificates. As for shutting down coal fired plants, its simple economics--natural gas is cheaper. When Rick Perry was governor of Texas, he invested in wind power. Certainly not for environmental reasons :) Natural gas may just be a stepping stone to other sources of energy. And of course, there are efficient appliances...the demand for energy is decreasing. Old appliances may last longer b/c they simply didn't run at 100% efficiency. They weren't pushed as hard.

As far as being unimpressed with the new technology, even Luddites should take a ride in the new electric cars with their minds open. When I just bought my 4-4-2 the seller gave me a ride in his Chevy Spark...its amazing what they are doing now. he can program when its most convenient to charge (it can do the last bit just before he gets in, so the heat output warms the interior), it can charge up on coasting, its low center of gravity due to the batteries allows for better handling on skinnier tires, and so forth. Its a lot of engineering, even I got impressed. But, all the ability to customize/personalize it may make some feel even more than a transportation device is just another appliance :)
 LOLTrump
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/12/2017 7:23:26 AM
Germany Just Smashed an Energy Record, Generating 85% Electricity From Renewables
Written By
Kristin Houser
May 10, 2017

A Greener Germany

In this age of rampant global warming, the term “record-breaking” has started to sound a bit like…well…a broken record. 2016 delivered month after month of record-breaking temperatures, and the year as a whole was the latest in a series of record-breaking years. We’ve recently shattered records for rising sea levels, elevated ocean temperature, and carbon dioxide levels, and many of these trends continue to move in the wrong direction

Thankfully, we also have some positive climate-related achievements to celebrate, the latest of which is courtesy of Germany, which just set a new national record for renewable energy.

On April 30, 85 percent of the electricity consumed by the European nation was generated by renewable sources like wind, solar, and hydroelectric power. “Most of Germany’s coal-fired power stations were not even operating on Sunday, April 30,” Patrick Graichen of the Agora Energiewende initiative told Renew Economy.

In 2015, Canada used renewable sources to meet 66 percent of its energy needs, and Spain, Costa Rica, and the United Arab Emirates are all making remarkable strides to end dependence on fossil fuels. Ninety percent of the new energy sources added to Europe’s power grid in 2016 were renewable, signaling the entire continent’s commitment to clean energy, and even the poorest nations in the world have pledged to transition to renewables.

https://futurism.com/germany-just-smashed-an-energy-record-generating-85-electricity-from-renewables/
 Maleman999
Msg: 20
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/12/2017 7:44:19 AM
(Msg 18): "...its amazing what they are doing now. he can program when its most convenient to charge"

I've got that program too. It's called looking at the gas gauge. Are people going to need a degree in computer programming to drive a car in the future? I had enough trouble programming a VCR when they first came out. I can't imagine it being easy to try to program a car.
 gtomustang
Msg: 21
raise the roof, people.
Posted: 5/12/2017 8:08:18 AM
I should have said, he can have the car charged immediately, or overnight during non-peak hours, or he can do it just before he goes to work so it heats up the interior of the car in the wintertime. and yes, like a gas gauge or a vacuum guage of the 1960's, he can see how much electricity he is using and determine whether he wants to extend his range or be a dragster. there is a bit to learn, but consider any new gas powered car out there with a computer screen...that has to get learned, too. or ignored. GPS? we learned that, or didn't. Internet? we learned that or we wouldn't be here quoting other people's posts :)

there is a learning curve, but its no worse than the learning curve of instruments we use now daily. Heck, i'm a dude who doesn't have a cellphone, and has a mower that says, "Gravely, division of Studebaker" on its gas tank. Its nice to have a foot in the old and in the new. Now, as someone who took care of elderly parents, I do wonder how all this technology will work for us when we are old and need to remember the password to operate the damn fancy coffee maker of the future....:)

we may find we reach a point where we want uncomplicated appliances, like a phone that does nothing but act like a phone. but we also may want to have some other appliances that have more features. some people will want a phone that also takes pictures and such, so that they carry one device not multiple ones. what is cool and trendy for a 20 yr old consumer, may very well be a nightmare for the 70 yr old consumer who can't read the $%#ing screen b/c its so small in order to make room for a keyboard they never intend to use.
 cotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2017 8:33:55 AM
Message 17 ...

427 (Message 16) ...
Just like some seem to think that if pipelines are not built to transport oil then people will quit using oil I guess.

LOL ...
Maybe some of those people understand that most of those pipelines are to ship oil that cannot even ben used domestically and is just to export dirty oil to other parts of the world and as such has no energy benefit to the USA and only goes to unnecessarily increase the risk to the environment.

That guy in Message 16 works in the oilfields ... he's one of the world's #1 polluters. No need to expect anything else from him but "drill baby, drill" ... eh? I doubt he cares anything about the pollution his work creates ... as long as he gets paid ... he could care less how much he pollution he contributes to. Greedy, money-hungry people also contribute in big ways to our pollution problem.

I can't imagine working for any company that would do this to the environment ... read the following!
https://www.desmogblog.com/top-10-facts-canada-alberta-oil-sands-information
Top 10 Facts About the Alberta Oil Sands

FACT #1: The Alberta oil sands have a huge carbon footprint.
According to government agency Environment Canada, greenhouse gas pollution from Alberta oil sands is expected to increase by 124 percent between 2010 and 2030 if left unchecked. By 2030, climate pollution from oil sands could make up 14 per cent of Canada's entire carbon footprint and some 60 per cent of the forecast rise in the nation's greenhouse gas pollution.

FACT #2: The Alberta oil sands produce lakes of toxic sludge.
A 2013 report concluded that an accident related to the failure of one of the oil sands tailings ponds could have catastrophic impact in the aquatic ecosystem of the Mackenzie River Basin due to the size of these lakes and their proximity to the Athabasca River. Also, according to documents from the Canadian government, the tailings ponds are leaking and contaminating Alberta groundwater.

FACT #3: The contaminated water produced while extracting Alberta's oil sands is so toxic that in April 2008 a flock (for the deaths of 1,600 ducks) of migrating ducks landed in a holding pond full of tar sands contaminated water and died..
http://oilsandstruth.org/dead-ducks-tar-canada039s-image-pm-says
Dead ducks tar Canada's image, PM says
The owner of the toxic tailings lake, oil sands company Syncrude, was fined $3 million in 2010 for the duck deaths. According to the CBC, “Syncrude lawyer Jack Marshall told the court that the company apologizes for the incident and recognizes it must do much better when it comes to protecting wildlife.”

FACT #4: The Alberta oil sands are holding Canada back on climate change action. Environment Canada projects that climate pollution for all of Canada except the tar sands is set to decline between by 28 million tonnes of CO2 (MtCO2).

However, climate pollution from the planned expansion of tar sands is predicted to increase by 53 MtCO2 between 2005 and 2020. This will wipe out the climate progress from the rest of Canada and cause an increase, rather than decrease, in climate pollution for at least another decad.

FACT #5: The toxic tailing lakes are considered one of the largest human-made structures in the world. Toxic lakes in Northern Alberta span 176 square kilometers and can be seen from space.

FACT #6: A barrel of oil from the oil sands produces around 14% to 21% more greenhouse gases than a conventional barrel of oil produced in the United States. In 2004, oil sands production surpassed one million barrels per day; by 2015, oil sands production was expected to more than double to about 2.2 million barrels per day. That number is expected to rise to 4.8 million barrels per day by 2030.

FACT #7: The oil sands operations are the fastest growing source of heat-trapping greenhouse gas in Canada. By 2020 the oil sands will release twice the amount produced currently by all the cars and trucks in Canada.

FACT #8: Indigenous peoples rely on healthy ecosystems for food, water and livelihoods, but the oil sands industry has decimated vast amounts of wildlife habitat AND polluted the region’s rivers and streams with toxic and carcinogenic chemicals.

FACT #9: Emissions from the Alberta oil sands increased 267 percent between 1990 and 2011, according to Environment Canada, although per-barrel emissions have gone down a reported 26 percent. The overall increase of Canada’s expanding tar sands extraction, however, has the nation’s total emissions set to increase steadily over coming decades.

FACT #10: Climate pollution from producing oil sands oil is projected to hit 104 Mt CO2 by 2020 - about double the current annual emissions from countries like Norway, Bolivia and Denmark.

Only the greedy really want that oil pulled out of the earth and burned!

Apparently there are more than enough people who are willing to work there to make it happen as well. Makes you wonder how they sleep at night! Apparently it makes no difference to people who are highly-paid to contribute to the pollution it creates as evidenced by the poster in Message 16.

The executives who monetarily gain from the whole process live far and away from the areas it pollutes. They live in their big estates untouched by the polluted water with special environmental monitoring devices to assure them they breathe only the purest of air.

In the meantime, they poison OUR water, OUR farmlands with the leaky pipes ... poison OUR air with the fires and explosions and just the mere extraction process. They have absolutely no regard for the people who have to live in the immediate areas of the pollution.

In summary ... of course the "oilfield worker" could care less ... what could any of us otherwise expect?
 congupnaroad
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2017 4:53:07 PM
MSG 22

And you pollute the atmosphere every time you turn your computer on in more ways than one.

How ironic you attack oil field workers without even realising that the machines that make computers need to be oiled which allows you to present your diatribe.
 cotter
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2017 9:21:57 PM
Message 23 ...
Rob ...
How ironic you attack oil field workers without even realising that the machines that make computers need to be oiled ...

That "oilfield worker" does not mine the kind of oil that is used on any kind of machine that makes computers.

Even if it did, I'd gladly give up my computer if it would make the mining stop. Can you say the same?

Let's see ... no children, no need to be concerned about the future environment. Is that it?

So bitter that you just don't care about anyone else's future generations?

Or is it that you just have no reason for why you don't give a shit about any of OUR future generations?

I'd wager that's it.
 congupnaroad
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2017 10:10:41 PM

That "oilfield worker" does not mine the kind of oil that is used on any kind of machine that makes computers.

Even if it did, I'd gladly give up my computer if it would make the mining stop. Can you say the same?

Let's see ... no children, no need to be concerned about the future environment. Is that it?

So bitter that you just don't care about anyone else's future generations?

Or is it that you just have no reason for why you don't give a shit about any of OUR future generations?

I'd wager that's it

Another STRAWMAN! Well done Maria!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Tesla releases details of its solar roof tiles