Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Travelling alone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 6jellybeans
Msg: 2
Travelling alone Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I have friends all over the world that I don't see anywhere near as much as I want to... So my holidays tend to be to go and see them. I have gone all over the place on my own. No worries about it at all. But then I tend to either know where I am going because I have done it so often or I am being met at the airport by friends and family.

The only thing I do have is that I get pulled and frisked a lot. I would also say make sure you get someone female in with you if a male is doing it as I had a bit of a nasty experience with a guy checking my luggage... Seemed he was just rummaging to check my underwear. I ended up calling over a female security guard who was passing and asking her to stand with me as I felt uncomfortable. He got a bit more professional after that.

I haven't had what I would call a proper "holiday" for years. Its something I would like to do. I have no qualms about doing things like that on my own. Been on my own too long now to let silly stuff like peoples opinions bother me. Some pity me and some think I am very brave. Its not really a concern of mine these days. I just get on with it.
 10ky
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/14/2017 1:31:16 PM
I almost always travel alone actually. I rarely travel for holidays though. It's always for work purposes, so, I guess it's normal to travel alone under those circumstances. Dunno.
 10ky
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/14/2017 1:44:57 PM
-pauline
Well, aye, I know what you talking about. I traveled for the first time when I was 18. Bought a ticket, hopped on a plane and landed in Italy. Spent a week going around there and eating out in restaurants; then went back home. Didn't do much else. lol. Some people find that brave. I felt a bit tense but it didn't exactly feel as if I was landing in France back in June, 1944. hehe.
 quicktyper
Msg: 7
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/14/2017 2:11:10 PM
I've flown alone though there was someone to meet me at the other end. I've done a few holidays just me and the kids. Not that I'm wishing their lives away or anything but I'd love to get a holiday by myself.
 Squareslice
Msg: 8
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/14/2017 2:27:58 PM
I'm often happy in my own company.
Dinnae dae abroad keech. Far happier seein ma own land.
Got a wee bolt hole that takes about an hour to get to. Love it. Pitch up, make a brew then sit at the river n breathe.
 heavenlivesnear
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 12:20:57 AM
never been in holiday by myself but am seriously considering it this year...

ive done a bit of travelling for work and enjoy it.... no problem eating in restaurants alone. adults just seem to accept a single person eating alone but children are very curious. i think they feels a bit sorry for me... i sometimes wonder if i look like someone who has been stood up... i take a book with me now to avoid the sympathy looks.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 3:00:54 AM
love going on hols on my own. First time I did it I was 16 and flew to Finland to stay with a penfriend. Didn't contact my mum and dad for a fortnight even to say I got there safely. Well I did try once and the call didn't seem to work so blithely carried on enjoying myself regardless.

Two summers ago my boy went off to Switzerland to scout camp for 10 days . I realized I hadn't had a single holiday without him since he was born( apart from a few weekends with his dad when he was little and before we split) so took myself off to Sweden. Flew to Gothenberg and drove up the west coast and into Norway , doing a mix of camping, hostelling, guest houses and airbnb. Twas great. Just being able to sit and have a coffee and look at the view without a restless boy dragging me to my feet the second I took my last gulp was brilliant. Since then I have made a point of getting away without him and it's usually on my own.

There aren't that many people , however much I like them that I would consider going on holiday with.Me and the boy go away with my sister and her husband for a few days sometimes and just me and my sis have gone away occasionally in the past.Other than that a couple of friends is all and then it's tying down a date. Much much easier to suit yourself.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 3:18:12 AM
Just had a woman contact me through Meetup. She is travelling singly and using that system to find people where she is going who can show her the local sights.
 patriciaanne55
Msg: 13
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 5:20:04 AM
I went to Tenerife alone for the first time quite a few years ago.
Did NZ, travelled around the North Island then visited my friend in Raglan....heaven on earth, I would happily live there.
Visited my friend in Ch Ch just after the earthquake, very sad.
Then I went to Oz to visit another friend in Brisbane.
A couple of years ago I went to mainland Spain for the first time but stayed with friends for a week. I have spent the last two winters in Spain by myself, but near to where the friends live, I've met many new people over there but have decided I wouldn't like to live there permanently.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 5:43:45 AM
Nothing beats sharing those "isn't this fabulous?" moments for me, so no solo holidays for me.
 patriciaanne55
Msg: 16
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 9:17:17 AM
'Nothing beats sharing those "isn't this fabulous?" moments for me, so no solo holidays for me.
When I went to OZ my BF met up with me in Cairns, should have been a holiday of a lifetime but he was a petulant and childish....oh dear.

That may be the case but so much to miss if you just wait for 'next' I need a holiday.
I've not worked nine to five for many years so had loads of time to travel. Loads of photos to bore everyone with.

It was interesting, my friend and I went to Peru, one couple in particular had been traveling for some months and they were at the stage where they'd had enough really. He said it get a bit like, 'oh look another waterfall' they both looked thoroughly bored
 scareymush
Msg: 18
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 4:03:25 PM
I had to catch a connecting flight from Frankfurt too some years ago...It's a huge airport but thankfully I had time between flights to avail of one of their smoking booths, strange little constructions of clear perspex and littered with half empty cans and coffee cups all with fag ends swimming around in them, my fellow puffers and I chain-smoking and deeply inhaling, nobody said hello, too busy murdering our lungs. I think Frankfurt also provides beds, at least I think that's what they were.

Traveling alone is a doddle when compared with traveling alone with three young children. I got the fright of my life when I spotted a man in a bright yellow turban manhandle my six year old, I'd only taken my eyes off him for a second and suddenly I saw a man wrap his arms around him in a hug....I hope it was an innocent thing but one never knows.
 patriciaanne55
Msg: 20
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 11:25:56 PM
'I'm useless at travelling alone as have no sense of direction and no common sense so get lost all the time . That said, I have done it a bit over the years and it's always been interesting.'

I'm just the same flutter but moreso when I'm with someone, I let them do the leading. On my own it's a different matter, I have no choice but to do it.
 Damilovely
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/16/2017 3:53:33 AM
I just returned 2 days ago from my first solo holiday.
It was getting too difficult synchronising dates with friends so I bolted.
It was simply awesome. I did the Amalfi Coast and a number of others. I'll do it again.
 patriciaanne55
Msg: 23
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/16/2017 5:07:46 AM
'I was at Gatwick recently shouting at the Easyjet automated bag drop terminal because it wouldn't let me check in...then it dawned on me i'd already checked in online and i didn't have a bag to check in either, felt like a bit of a twat.'

Ha ha, I was the opposite for my flight to LA enroute to OZ. I didn't know then you checked in on line, the desk sorted me out and I was upgraded. I went up the escalator behind Gwyneth, Chris and entourage and sat just behind them, they were first class separated by a curtain, wouldn't have known they were there, they separated off and went in a different door
 billybonds
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/16/2017 2:49:22 PM
Go ....AL. ANA or stay but don't vacillate on your companion as this is otiose
 Squareslice
Msg: 27
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/16/2017 3:32:39 PM

Oh fcuk that'll be me. Or I'll miss my plane wandering around looking for the wrong bl00dy gate or something. I am a total liability and will merrily hand the directing of direction over to someone else.

eff you!
 dragonbytes
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/17/2017 9:27:30 AM
I never ever plan to go on holidays alone, though inadvertently I did go to Bali by myself. Wasn’t the plan, but it just worked out that way.

For business where someone else is paying the full Monty, I have traveled extensively alone, spending a month at a time for over a year in new cities across the USA. This was business travel as an engineer, I enjoyed it nearly all the time, got to date a few lasses in different cities as I am there roughly 3 months, long enough to start to feel like I live there. Pick novel places to eat, wonder around the city/area, etc. After that I spent a year where I got to pick new cities (from a list) to teach a one week course in, more time being alone.

A couple of negative being alone, holidays like Valentine’s day in a nice restaurant all alone is kind of a bummer, amusement parks by yourself aren’t very amusing, a King size bed seems like a waste of space and not much point to be in an upscale hotel. Sometimes it’s hard to remember what car I am driving, especially if I go a bar, and it’s a weird feeling to wake up after a long night out with a girl, fall asleep in my car and then not know what state I am in and how to get back to my hotel?? Asking the local gas station where am I, they tell me a city but then I have to ask, but what state?

I don’t count the travel portion of a holiday as being alone, especially when taking a plane, in the continental USA it’s only 1-5 hours to anywhere (though to Thailand It’s 17 hours flying with 3-5 hours in airports.) So going to meet someone for a holiday is a trivial example of traveling alone. Though I was surprised to learn my mother is a little afraid of solo plane travel as she had never done it in the past. However she has taken a non-stop flight to see her other son who is currently in Las Vegas.

I really never go anywhere on holiday by myself, so if I not in relationship I just don’t go and have little desire to see the sites at someplace new. I didn’t date for 6 years after my divorce, and pretty much never went more than 50 miles from home.

The issue for me is mostly why spend the money on a holiday by myself?

If someone is paying the full tab, sure, I can hop the next plane to anywhere and stay a few days-months taking care of business by myself.

I spent a month in Alaska with my brother, for 10 days we were in a very remote wilderness 50 miles from any other human. It felt very different to be cut from civilization where even cell phones won’t work. Now I do have a bit of a desire to experience total isolation for a month in a tent someplace like Alaska. Just to see how it feels, but I doubt now I will get the chance to do that.
 heavenlivesnear
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/21/2017 12:43:21 AM
google is so good nowadays that there isn't any real reason to actually get off my arse and move. i'm going for a swim in a minute, when i get back i'll put on a load of washing and will do route 66 while i'm waiting for it to go round.

if ive got enough time this evening, i'll do venice... got to hoover first though.
 Jacknher
Msg: 30
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/22/2017 9:23:46 AM
This year will be the first time I have travelled alone since 1988 when I packed a suitcase and headed to Australia.

Not going as far this time......London for a week on my own next month, then a Comic Con type thing in Blackpool in August on my own.

Then a band I like has announced gigs in London, Leeds and Dublin in September/October. Think I might buy a ticket for the Dublin one when they go on sale........as it will give me an excuse to go to Dublin for a few days. Never been there before.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/22/2017 11:51:25 AM
^^^^Have a great time, could be a great adventure.
I've never been to Dublin myself but I would like to go.
I used to travel a lot on my own, all over. Haven't done it in years now, shame.

vvvv.....lol, no doubt it'll be taken off soon.....
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 32
Travelling alone
Posted: 5/22/2017 11:53:25 AM
^^^^

Roxy, no offense, but that's not a good look for a woman

Just sayin
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Travelling alone