Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why is there human life on earth?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 meowzing
Msg: 1
Why is there human life on earth?Page 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
These are very basic philosophical questions. What do you personally believe to be the reason for the existence of humanity? Would the world not be here without man? Is there any scientific evidence proving that man needs to be alive on earth?
 meowzing
Msg: 2
Why is there human life on earth?
Posted: 5/16/2017 7:21:46 PM
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2007/10/steven-hawking-.html

I found the above article to be pretty gosh darn entertaining...
 CressB
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2017 9:43:47 PM
I do not like to do the same work twice. Perhaps we could use this as a jumping off point, for any discussion involving me. Concerning the philosophical meat of your question, I would call your attention to paragraph "11". I would also recommend that you review the other comments I made in the thread that the following posts were taken from, for further perspective on my views on the nature of mankind (there are only a few other posts, and they are relatively small compared to this one. They are also all contained on the first page of the following thread):

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16273486.aspx

basilisk123 wrote:

Cress, aren't you assuming that other sentient life would think like us?

The following post has been edited for clerical and conceptual errors (all the ones that I could easily spot anyway).

CressB wrote:

1. Yes and no. What I assume is that, as I have said before, the universe is really quite simple/functions according to a set of rather simple rules/laws, like: mathematics, gravity, entropy, electro/electro-weak, strong, conservation of energy, conservation of information, speed of light as a constant, cosmological constant (maybe), etc. Let's take this from a perspective of a material based universe - well, because at this stage in the evolution of our understanding of the universe we really have no choice - the antithesis of which may be to introduce the concepts of dark matter and dark energy, but I'll get to that shortly. For the moment lets say that life is limited to the material and that the perception or influence of any as of yet imperceivable elements of the universe are irrelevant or have no real or relevant consequential affect/baring on the development/outcome of life. Well, there are certain things that we know that intelligent/complex life must do: it must develop around a source of gravity because it is highly unlikely that complex life can form in the vacuum of space, hence a planet or planetoid is most likely required. It must perceive some fraction of the EM spectrum, in one way or another, in order to navigate, necessarily to perform work and at least understand its immediate place in the universe (ah, but you might say, snakes and bats are blind; well snakes are not actually blind; they perceive the infrared spectrum through their tongues, and while bats are truly blind they do have a medium of perception - sound - though I do not think that this method of perception would be inclusive of forming sentient life capable of understanding its place in the universe). Complex life would most likely have to consist of autonomous but highly similar individual, as opposed to an amorphous blob, in order to minimize risk; evolution is a long road. These individuals would necessarily need a way to communicate with one another. These individuals would necessarily need to be cooperative in order to maximize ultimate survival potential for a progression forward in knowledge.

2. Lets discuss the value of strong gravity in the evolution of complex sentient life first (this is actually my favorite evolutionary topics). The evolution of life, as we know it, is essentially a very slow chemical rebellion against gravity and an eventual mastery and or (ultimately) a conquering of it. So lets start off slow and with land/atmospheric based life, as in the entire evolution of life on this planet no known complex/sentient life capable of high productivity has ever been know to be marine based. Quadrupedal locomotion is a highly efficient/successful mode of transport. But what happens to a species that becomes overly successful through this means of transport? Lets take the rodent for example. Rats are highly successful quadrupeds, but in the rat we see some very interesting things happening. The rat has become so successful as a quadruped, that it has begun to experience down time - time while awake but inactive. And how does a species deal with such inactivity? They sit still alert and on guard but ready for action. Though locomotion is highly efficient through quadrupedal means, siting is very inefficient because of the angle it puts the spine at. With the rat we can see evolution beginning to address this inefficiency, as rats have begun to develop an up right or bipedal sitting posture. In the rat, and many other rodents - perhaps most prevalently among small rodents like the squirrel - we can also see another evolutionary side-effect of being highly successful. The beginning development of the opposable able thumb.

3. As has already been said, a highly successful species is one that has "down time". And what does one do with down time? Do they just sit? No. They begin to inspect their environment. They investigate/inspect intriguing/unknown elements of their environment that do not necessarily fall inside of their particular necessity for survival - like potential alternate food sources and shelter - this is one of the natural elements of the rat that makes it so successful. They paw things. They attempt to grasp things for closer visual inspection and better tactile inspection. While one is inactive (siting) if one can grasp an object one can then achieve two goals: rest and inspection, including not having to be on all fours for it to smell something (you see this a lot with rats: they will approach an object, grasp the object then fall back to their sitting position to inspect it, check their surroundings, then either eat or move on). This is the beginning of the development of a new tool with which to accomplish high manipulation of the environment. It begins with articulated wrists and grasping with both hands, and moves on from there to better digital manipulation.

4. From here we move up a notch in the evolution of species to the marsupials. Here we find a highly developed highly articulated set of clamping tools, highly developed for extreme manipulation of the environment (some scientists say the greatest tool ever conceived). Also we see a further development of the hind extremities better suited for movement in a vertical spine position, or resting position. And as we know by study, the vast majority of these animals have A LOT of down time.

5. From here we can continue to move up the line of this evolutionary trend, primates, sapiens, where the rest position and the ability to manipulate the environment is continued to be further maximized.

6. Along with the maximization of these two traits also comes curiosity and a further development of the pattern recognition faculties of the brain (e.g. Rats use about 5% of their brain function to focus on higher thought, such as problem solving, and about 95% to focus on motor skills; with humans it is about the opposite). And further maximization of these traits also allows for further maximization of said traits (if success is proportionally linked to these two traits then further maximization of said traits will lead to further/greater ability to maximize said traits which leads to exponential growth of maximization.

7. So here is my question to you. Given that gravity is a universal, inescapable, fundamental element of the universe, can complex sentient life evolve any other way? Well let's look at some potentials:

8. Let's go back to marine life for a moment. The smartest thing that we know of to ever be produced in the oceans is the octopus. The octopus has a very high functioning set of problem solving faculties. They exhibit very decent social skills. And they have good vision. The problem though Is that they were never able to develop the ability to manipulate their environment to a high degree. The gravity is to low, in their environment, to ever have developed such a thing, thus the system that could have produced exponential growth has broken down. Curiosity has become stunted because extreme manipulation is not possible to develop in that environment.

9. What about molecules based on an element other than carbon? Well the the other element that we know of that we think would be suitable for life (silicon) has a few engineering problems: such as: silicon bonds are quite a bit more strong than carbon bonds, which means that you have less decomposition over time of compounds. Now initially this may sound like a good thing but it is actually a bad thing. Less decomposition means less mutation. Less ability to mutate to the natural processes that occur in a given environment (which only occur at one speed: the speed set by natural law) is very bad thing. So we don't think that abiogenesis is possible with silicon. However synthetic life is a great possibility.

10. What about a right handed form of the DNA molecule, or a molecule with four base pairs rather than two, or 256 base pairs? well, a molecule being left or right handed does not exempt it from the law of gravity. So mint tastes like caraway, I don't see how this could be game changing enough to produce anything different than we have already observed with life. As far as more base pairs goes, as far as we know, the universe trends toward simplicity, and while more base pairs are a possibility it is far more unlikely to occur in nature. However, there is an element of the scientific community called synthetic biology to which the scientists involved are attempting to create synthetic life with more base pairs.

11. Perhaps the only real purpose of naturally evolving life is to create an immortal form (or at least far more durable than we are) of synthetic life that is vastly more capable of conceptualizing the nature of the universe. Perhaps we are not as natural as we suppose we are and the universe is just an incubator designed to create intelligence, first in a rudimentary or natural form, then in a more complex form through synthesis via the initial rudimentary form (for what ultimate purpose however I cannot say).

12. Lets take a look at Titan. Many scientists are interested in Titan because of the dense cloud, largely composed of tholin (a fundamental chemical component thought, by current scientific consensus, to be necessary in the natural formation of DNA/carbon based life). But there is a problem here; titan is to cold. It is important to have the right amount of energy in the system: to little energy and things can't get started or if they do get started they proceed to slowly to really achieve anything; to much energy and things become two unstable. Which is why earth is often referred to as being in the Goldilocks zone: just right!

13. So, once again I ask you: given all of the above, is it possible for complex sentient life to have evolved any other way?

14. Let's move on to dark energy and dark matter.

15. We are going to skip over dark energy because very little is known about it and it is the current scientific consensus that dark energy is more than Likely Einstein's cosmological constant,

16. Dark matter on the other hand is very interesting. Is there a spectrum of matter, each one in the spectrum imperceivable by the others in the spectrum? We know that the relationship of matter to dark matter in the universe is about 5 to 1. Could there be 5 other universes with different spins on matter stuffed into our same universe? Or is this just the final/most numerous form of material that populates the universe? In the former case it is conceivable that other life may exist according to an almost entirely different set of rules, except three: it must still exist in space, it most still exist in time and it will still be subject to gravity.

17. If this is the case, could this potential form of life really be that much of a departure from what we know?

18. If it is just another material particle, or series of particles, I think that it is unlikely to have anything to do with being able to support another form of life. But then I could be wrong.

19. So, the ball is back in your court. What is you perspective on what I have detailed here?
 meowzing
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/17/2017 5:29:47 AM
I was asking for everyone's views, not just yours in particular. THIS thread is NOT about reincarnation, or where we go when we die. Its about why human life is on earth in the first place.
 Jo van
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/17/2017 5:44:54 AM

What do you personally believe to be the reason for the existence of humanity?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
Followed by:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Would the world not be here without man?

It was here, without 'man', and will be again.(sooner or later)

Is there any scientific evidence proving that man needs to be alive on earth?

See above.
There is plenty of scientific evidence proving that the earth existed for millions of years, without mankind.
And:
"Man needs to be alive on earth" in order for any scientific evidence to be collected, collated, and analysed.
So it's a stupid question IMO.
You might just as well have asked: "Is it necessary for man to be alive, to prove that man is alive?"

The more you know, the less you'll "believe".
 CressB
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2017 5:46:31 AM
I didn't say that you were asking for just my view? Only that what I posted is my view (I am included in "everyone" am I not?). Also I am aware that this thread is not about reincarnation.
 meowzing
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/17/2017 6:41:13 AM
^My sincerest apologies...

Jo Van- Thanks for the info. Being man was not on earth for millions of years, why do you believe (with scientific evidence) man is on earth? This question certainly has not been answered by the links you provided.
 Jo van
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/17/2017 11:09:13 AM

Jo Van- Thanks for the info. Being man was not on earth for millions of years, why do you believe (with scientific evidence) man is on earth? This question certainly has not been answered by the links you provided.

I could be cruel here, and answer simply:"Because it's true"

But you're clearly struggling to make your own view clear, so I'll assume you mean "why is man on earth?", and not why do I believe it.
But you can figure the answer to this out yourself, if you simply ask (yourself) why any living creature or organism is here.
The answer to all of these questions is evolution.

Since the simplest, earliest organisms began to reproduce themselves, mutations have always existed, where a gene hasn't been accurately copied.
These slight differences are the basis for evolution. Some were beneficial, some disasterous.
The beneficial ones tended to endure.

But not always. Evolution hasn't always been some sort of linear sequence of progressive improvements, because often, disasters, or disease, or other forms of "bad luck" have completely eradicated some superbly "adapted" species, (to their existing environmental niches), and left only the shittest, as survivors.
If I remember correctly, all current mammals are descended from some ratty, rodent like, moley creatures, who ate insects, or roots.
They survived when everything "upstairs" had been trashed.
(There have been several such mass-extinction events)

So the real answer to your (intended) question, is that there isn't a single "reason", there are millions of "butterfly-effect" type reasons, which have all contributed to our, and all other creatures' existence.
Things fall into place, according to the laws of physics, chemistry, and biology, evolution, sheer luck, and the environment.

If some big meteorites hadn't smashed into the world, a few hundreds of millions of years ago, things might have been very different,
and you might have had a two-foot long, prehensile tongue.
(Something for the ladies to ponder on. )

Trying to look for a "why" is just a form of anthropocentric superstition, of the kind that created deities in the first place.
(Which based on your other posts, is what you're really alluding to.)

If nothing can exist without a "creator", then who "created" that "creator"??

There are some things we don't (yet) know, many things actually.
But that's no reason to attribute them to deities, like they did in the past.
It just means that we have to work even harder, to try and find them out.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/17/2017 12:27:27 PM

These are very basic philosophical questions.

Why there is human life on Earth is not a philosophical question, it is a biological one.

Evolution.

Would the world not be here without man?

Yes.

Is there any scientific evidence proving that man needs to be alive on earth?

No.
 lyinjovan
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/17/2017 12:46:10 PM
While everybody is pontificating on the issue of Evolution, I would like anybody here to explain how Life developed ex nihilo, and when you can do that, explain why the creation of man was an evolutionary necessity. What requirements of human kind were necessary for it to survive and thrive?

Remember..

But despite knowing approximately when life first appeared on Earth, scientists are still far from answering how it appeared.

"Many theories of the origin of life have been proposed, but since it's hard to prove or disprove them, no fully accepted theory exists,"

http://www.livescience.com/1804-greatest-mysteries-life-arise-earth.html
 LOLTrump
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/17/2017 1:30:55 PM

While everybody is pontificating on the issue of Evolution, I would like anybody here to explain how Life developed ex nihilo, and when you can do that, explain why the creation of man was an evolutionary necessity.

It didn't come out of nothing, it came from the base elements that are abundant in our universe, combined with the right conditions, bingo you get life.

The creation of man is not an evolutionary necessity, it is an evolutionary possibility, as there are many things that if they had not occurred would not have created the conditions for our success or even existence.

What requirements of human kind were necessary for it to survive and thrive?

The requirements for life do not exist because of life, their existence is the reason why we have life.

Ergo, the reason why we need water and oxygen is rooted in the fact that is it because those things exist.

Most people see evolution backwards and Darwin pointed this out with his Strange Inversions of Reasoning theory.

Dr. Daniel Dennett does a great job of explaining it here.

Darwin's Strange Inversion of Reasoning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgRQFSr7zf0

But despite knowing approximately when life first appeared on Earth, scientists are still far from answering how it appeared.

That is correct.

As science can walk back time to even before life existed on Earth, but before that it is a mystery.

Which means that we simply do not know what happened before that and does not mean anything more.
 meowzing
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/17/2017 7:04:59 PM
I don't have enough answers, and spend way too much time questioning everything... That curiosity thing.
I admit to not being a bright crayon, but I sure can paint some pretty awesome gosh darn canvases.

The more diverse the opinions the more I get from the picture.
 CressB
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2017 7:33:17 PM

While everybody is pontificating on the issue of Evolution, I would like anybody here to explain how Life developed ex nihilo

Sure, right after you demonstrate that you know enough about the chemistry and physics involved to be able to understand the answer (demonstrating that you would even be open to an answer to your question would go a long way also). Otherwise, why on earth would I waste the time. What benefit do I gain from giving over the hours of my time that it would require, to write something to teach you, especially when I have major doubts that you would even be open to or capable of understanding the knowledge? And it is not ex nihilo; matter exists, and the physical behaviors of matter are demonstrable facts.

and when you can do that, explain why the creation of man was an evolutionary necessity.

Man is not an evolutionary necessity. But if we modify your statement to be reasonable, I've already explained a good chunk of the facts behind "how/why man DID evolve" - you know in that big long thing toward the beginning of this thread, that nobody read - All that work and nobody's interested; you see what I mean?

"Many theories of the origin of life have been proposed, but since it's hard to prove or disprove them, no fully accepted theory exists,"

Evolution is not a theory. It is a fact. This is not something that is contested by the scientific community. We do not need to be able to synthesize life. This is in no way a prerequisite to evolution's status as being factual. Enough evidence in support of evolution already exists - an overwhelming amount in fact. The chemistry is simply an intellectual puzzle that has not been solved yet. The chemistry involved is mind bogglingly complex. But we are very close however. This sh!t isn't a Sunday stroll in the park man.
 lyinjovan
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/17/2017 9:01:18 PM
Tell you what cress...I am going to be really busy the next four days but I will give your lengthy post a read...if I believe you of sufficient intellect. .we will engage. Later.
 Coma_White
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2017 3:19:08 AM

These are very basic philosophical questions. What do you personally believe to be the reason for the existence of humanity? Would the world not be here without man? Is there any scientific evidence proving that man needs to be alive on earth?

These questions don't make sense. Why does there need to be a reason for humans to exist? Is there a reason for beavers to exist? The world would be here with or without man. That's already been proven since man has only existed for a fraction of the time that earth has existed. What do you mean "man needs to be alive on earth"?
Posted: 5/18/2017 5:14:24 PM
Maybe I'll take a stab at giving the same answers that have already been given using proper sense by others...for these questions are asked nonsensically:

The reason for the existence of humanity is that biological evolution produced that result. But it is not a personal belief...it is something which I know via science, pragmatically.

Via the same aforementioned, I figure that the world would be here without man...unless there is something to the idea that reality is consciousness-centric, such that maybe there really would be no sound from a tree falling in the forest if there is no ear to hear it; And indeed there wouldn't even be a tree to fall in that case.

I don't think that there is any scientific evidence proving that man needs to be alive on earth. I don't even think that anyone has tried to find any evidence for such a thing, unless they had/have a religious motivation or something like that.

And has also been stated already...these are not basic philosophical questions. But it's obvious to us that you're trying to imply and imbed some unsupported philosophic rhetorical twist in them.

Man is on earth, as I say above, because of evolution. The links provided should have provided the answer. If not, here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC9A6E807AD05C906

And then I'll offer a little bit of follow up:
(lyinjovan)

...explain why the creation of man was an evolutionary necessity...

I wasn't myself aware that the creation of man was a evolutionary necessity. Nor that it was a 'creation' in the first place...depending on what we want to mean by the term 'creation' here (The universe, evolutionary mechanics, and maybe a general intrinsic of reality to "be" could be accused of 'creating' us.)

Be patient. Wait for it. We'll figure it out, and then you can ask this question again and we'll tell you.

(meowzing)

I don't have enough answers, and spend way too much time questioning everything... That curiosity thing.
I admit to not being a bright crayon, but I sure can paint some pretty awesome gosh darn canvases.

The more diverse the opinions the more I get from the picture.

I'm pretty sure that you're just fooling around trollishly anyway with these questions. Acting a fool and getting us dudes stirred up.

I leave you with this gift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJE2OQsqhmo
 TheRevenant2017
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/19/2017 1:39:30 PM

That one is simple... it's the same answer as the reason for the existence of heavy elements (that is, heavier than iron.)

Starting at the "beginning", defined for convenience only, as the Big Bang... (it wasn't the beginning but it will be the beginning here)

1. the Big Bang occurs... countless number of particles are ejected into space... space itself may be a result of the big bang.

2. Over millions of light years, the particles ejected by the big bang (baryons, leptons, etc) clump together (the clumping effect has been experimentally verified)... into larger varying types of particles (leptons and hadrons) ...

3. from the clumping of lighter and heavier particles came elements such as hydrogen and helium...

4. the clumping of hydrogen along with the corresponding steady increase of gravitational force produced by the "clumps" eventually creates stars...

5. Thermonuclear fusion in the star creates elements heavier than hydrogen all the way to iron...

6. Once a star starts producing iron its days are numbered... the presence of heavy material (iron) causes a concentration of the star's gravitational field...

7. Soon the star's thermonuclear fusion cannot overcome the gravitational field of its heavy core... leading it to first implode... and then exploding (the star going nova)... during that implosion even heavier elements are formed... only to be violently (understatement) expelled into space...

8. The existence of heavier elements leads to the creation of solar systems with planets... such as ours.

9. Planets such as Earth and Mars end up in the "goldilocks" zone... a position in the system that causes the level of energy to be just right for H2O to be found in liquid form.

10. That "soup" continuously mixes particles .. causing energy to be stored in the structural complexity of molecules... eventually leading to RNA and DNA.

11. The constant exposure to the star (sun in our case) forces chemical structures to become more complex to store the additionally energy

12. These complex structures as a result of their continuous absorption of energy become ever more complex until they reach the point of being self-regulating energy absorption/dissipation mechanisms, i.e, life! (single cell.)

13. The first basic units of life become more and more complex over time as a result of the requirement to transform the energy they receive into ever more complex structures in which the energy can be stored.

14. Eventually, complex cellular organisms such as plants and animals make their appearance. Traces of sentience first appears in animals with a brain.

15. Increased structural complexity in animals - again resulting from transforming/storing our sun's energy, leads to animals with more complex brains and eventually leading to a level of sentience that defines humans.

Any living organism is just a self-regulating energy management mechanism. The result of a constant source of energy which causes an increase in complexity in order to store it somewhere. We' re just the sun's piggybanks.

Being human is no more magical than being a cat or a tree. The human obsession in thinking that we are "special" is absurd. It's quite likely that somewhere in the universe there exists beings endowed of something that gives them a level of understanding and awareness we are, by our structure, incapable of even imagining. Just like a cat can't imagine what comes with the intellectual abilities (or disabilities in some cases) of being human.

We're just the result of thermodynamic processes, just like a plant, a cat or anything else.

From the big bang to human life without crucifying anyone... science and nature are great :-)

meowzing
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/19/2017 5:10:59 PM
^ Thank you ever so kindly for being quite the gentleman sir, and for the informative post. :)
Everyone genuinely responding has been of a great help since my mother did pass this week.

THAT is why I WAS asking.
 Jo van
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/19/2017 5:27:57 PM
Sorry to hear that dude.
You have my deepest condolences.
My mum died when I was still quite young (24)
It's a tough time, for anyone, regardless of your age.

Remember, we each carry the genes of both of our parents, and of all of our and their ancestors.
Her genes endure, in you.
I don't believe in 'afterlives', myself, but I find that quite wonderful.
It's what we are, and what we're 'for'.
You are the proof of her success.
best wishes.
 lyinjovan
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/20/2017 5:29:48 PM
Most rational, logical people realize there is more to life and consciousness than meets the eye. Evolution does not accounng for the beginning of life from nothing, nor does it account for sentience. We are all guessing at how this universe came about. If was more them radome events at work. That i's really the bottom line.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/20/2017 6:45:17 PM

Most rational, logical people realize there is more to life and consciousness than meets the eye.

Nope.

Evolution does not accounng for the beginning of life from nothing, nor does it account for sentience.

Nor does it have to, as evolution explains who life eveoled and nothing more, so it does not explain it for the same reason the theory of gravity does not explain density, as the two are not realted.

We are all guessing at how this universe came about. If was more them radome events at work. That i's really the bottom line.

Not everyone is guessing, as many really do not care.
 forumslady
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/20/2017 6:45:54 PM
Lyinjovan-" Most rational, logical people realize there is more to life and consciousness than meets the eye"
You state this as if it's fact, it isn't.
It's a belief, or an opinion.
Saying rational, logical people realize it was a thinly veiled, preemptive insult lest anyone have an opinion different than yours.

"Evolution does not account for the beginning of life from nothing"
You are asking for someone to prove a negative. No one can, including you.

"nor does it account for sentience"
Yes, it does. Sentience requires thought, thought requires a brain, the human brain is a result of evolution.

"We are all guessing at how this universe came about"
You're guessing.

"more them radome events at work"
I think you meant random?
From an article (Big Think).........
If you do the math, you find out that the sum total of matter in the universe can cancel against the sum total of negative gravitational energy, yielding a universe with zero (or close to zero) net matter/energy. So, in some sense, universes are for free. It does not take net matter and energy to create entire universes. In this way, in the bubble bath, bubbles can collide, create baby bubbles, or simple pop into existence from nothing.
 lyinjovan
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/20/2017 7:05:19 PM
I've read all the theories forumslady. I tend to agree with the multiverse theory...which allows for an infinite number of universes which means our universe was a forgone conclusion with an infinite number of similar universes. Still..it's something I just know inside of me to be a fact. There is a mysterious force behind all this. And remember, we don't even know what the great majority of the universe is made of. We call it dark matter...dark energy for a reason...so nobody knows anything substantial in reality about our reality.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/21/2017 7:20:16 AM

Still..it's something I just know inside of me to be a fact. There is a mysterious force behind all this. And remember, we don't even know what the great majority of the universe is made of. We call it dark matter...dark energy for a reason...so nobody knows anything substantial in reality about our reality.

That is know as "Self Deception"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-deception
 Jo van
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/21/2017 9:00:27 AM

Most rational, logical people realize there is more to life and consciousness than meets the eye.

Most rational, logical people don't get so angry and obsessed with what a stranger, in another country has said, that they change their name.

The only reasons people believe in "gods" is because they've been told to believe, based on the perpetuation of earlier superstitions.
Just about everything in the "Old Testament", which had been attributed directly to the actions of this "god" have been discredited, or explained by science.

They believed that when the "earth shook" it was "god" being angry, whereas now, we know about earthquakes, and what causes them.
"Fire and brimstone" could be someone who saw a volcanic eruption.
"Plagues of locusts" still happen, and we now know why.
"The flood"?? Well about 11,000 years ago, the ice melted, and there were lots of floods.

These are just the folk-myths which emanated from actual events, exaggerated, (or not) during the "oral traditions" of storytelling, which preceded the written word. (About 8,000 years ago)

If you don't believe that random events are ever possible, then "god" must also be responsible for all the bad things that happen to "good people" too.
All the things attributed to "god", we now know we're just "naturally occurring events".
There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of a "creator".

We know how the earth, and all the other planets were formed, and when.
We know how life got started, and when.
We know about evolution, and when various stages of it happened. (Our ancestors shared a common ancestor with chimps, about 6million years ago. That explains a lot. )
Now confirmed by DNA analysis. Vindicating 'hypothetical predictions' made by Darwin, just 150 years ago.
(Now that man was a fvcking "god"!!)
Darwin "sat-on" his "theory" for almost 20 years, because he was afraid of the religious implications and their reactions.

But hey, because I've written this, and you disagree, that makes me a "liar", right??
It's obvious you've never had to debate or convince anyone of anything, in real life.

Your debating style is woefully inadequate.
You should spend the time you're wasting learning about the "Talmud", on learning something factual, instead of filling it with bronze-age superstitions.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why is there human life on earth?