Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > scammers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 originaltigger
Msg: 1
scammersPage 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
So far, all I have seen are scammers. This place seems to breed them. Had 3 in the first week and that does not include the need this site says to 'upgrade' to premium all the time. I just wonder how many have fallen victim to these people. I am a little more discerning and have caught them in lies as well as other stupid mistakes. It helps having been a prison guard in both the US and Canada as I am used to people trying to con me. It is probably just a pipe dream trying to find honest and sincere people on these sites who are not just trying to hook up, but doubt I will continue further, especially since all 3 scammers were with the same site, this one. Disappointed, but not really surprised.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 2
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/3/2017 5:44:33 PM
If a woman contacts you first then you need to be wary of an agenda for sure. This site is not the place to meet genuine decent people in the main and most realise this after a while and leave. Scammers are everywhere I am afraid. As for upgrades, a total waste of money and makes no difference to your desirability or others. Smoking is a no no to most people and that makes it harder for you. Is there such a thing as an occasional smoker or is it every occasion???.
 spot4username
Msg: 3
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/3/2017 5:48:36 PM
There are scammers everywhere. It does not matter if it is a free or a pay site.

I believe you would benefit greatly from a profile review. Head over there and take a thick skin with you.
 Seki1949
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 1:26:05 AM
In my experience here, scammers are easy to recognize and avoid. Photo/age mismatch. profile written in Nigerianish, or professing true love from near astronomical distances. Match has a much worse problem.

The upgrade to this site is useless as you gain very little of value. Match, on the other hand, is unusable without the paid upgrade.

Lots of nice real people on this site (at least in my age group).
 Seki1949
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 10:38:14 AM
Why are people voting to delete this thread? OP's posting history is light. He probably doesn't know that he's expected to dig up a thread from 2008 and add his post to it.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 6
scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 12:20:08 PM

Disappointed,

Welcome to the club.

this site says to 'upgrade' to premium all the time. .

No need to pay for rejection.
There's an abundance available for free.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 7
scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 12:29:27 PM
I have a sure fire way to detect scammers
Send me $28.99 and I will share
Send before midnight tonight and receive a bonus CD of Goats singing Queens songs.
Perfect Father Day gift.
 Seki1949
Msg: 8
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 4:14:47 PM
$28.99. Canadian or US?
 gtomustang
Msg: 9
scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 4:53:55 PM
Send one of each, just to be certain.

O's post reminds me of a sign at a flea market, "Free Advice $1". I didn't buy the advice, but i'll bet I know what it was exactly. Funny, tho, only the old timers, old enough to have wisdom, chuckled at it. As an older man, I now know why old timers laughed at young men so much when I was growing up. Young people who know everything must be fun to watch. Less fun to have under one's roof, tho.

I always thought a box of condoms was the perfect Father's Day gift.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 10
scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 5:31:06 PM
I'm not greedy, USA funds would be double :)
Poor Dad gets socks... I always thought a surprise child would be a rocking FD gift
Hi, I'm your 32 year old son
 forumslady
Msg: 11
scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 6:07:22 PM
originaltigger- Me being passive/aggressive happens about as often as a package you are waiting on to come in the mail arriving on time, but every now and then I get devilish and play with these types.
"Oh, you need 100 dollars? Well, I can spare that, give me your address and I'll send it tomorrow."
I don't like risking checks or money in the mail, can you send it Western Union, or money gram?
"Western Union, money gram, what's that? ATM's are easier, give me your number, I'll call later and give you my pin code."
Um, a pin code won't work without your card, you could give me your card number.
"Sure thing, 8675309."
Pins are only four numbers, that can't be your pin.
"Yes, it is, it's my pin, I know my own code."
Just ask someone to tell you where a Western union is, they're everywhere.
"Darn it, I live in the South, not the West, sorry."
NO! Not where you live, it's western union.
"Well, if it's not where I live, why did you ask me?"
How about this, you can purchase an airline ticket and I'll come to you, you can pay for that directly.
"Sorry, can't do that, I don't fly, I like to drive."
No, not a ticket for you, for ME.
"Ok, hold for a second, I need to write down your address."

CLICK!

Well, darn, some people just have NO patience. :D :D
 meowzing
Msg: 12
scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 6:35:56 PM
OP- You do need a sense of humor, and a very thick skin to internet date on any site. Put all the members of this site into one pool, and you get all kinds of fish swimming around. Its not impossible, but with the right bait you might just get lucky enough to catch a keeper. Life does some pretty gosh darn strange, silly and wonderful things. Sometimes even at the same time :)

Keep the faith. I believe God knows what we need when we don't.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 13
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/4/2017 8:05:08 PM
I rarely get scammers here, but did get a flood of them a month ago. They like to refer to you as "dear". No need to remember names that way and they may think it's an endearing term. I have to say, on Dr. Phil, the women fall for it every time. They also like the phrase "my love" and come on strong fast.

A scammer will want to move the conversation to e-mailing and texting right away. Many times they will say they're in the service. It's pretty easy to spot a scammer. They also tend to hit on women older than them and focus on very lonely people. The ones that get scammed seem to have some mental issue with discerning reality from fantasy. Even though they are told and shown the person is a scammer, they refuse to believe it. It's a huge money making business scamming.

They will provide a number that does not match the state they say they live in. They will say to contact them thru their e-mail address, because they're not staying on this site. Just don't get involved with anyone that is not from your state. They're funny if you ask them where they live, like what town in their city. They're clueless when it comes to geography. I had one person list themselves as Auburn, WA. When I asked the area, they gave me a town in Auburn, Georgia. I guess they didn't know there were two when they tried to look up the area, lol. One said he was in TX, so I said near the lakes in the beautiful lakelands and he said yes. I totally made that up. Just trying to have a little fun with the person before I report them. Report them to POF. They'll take down their profile, for all the good it will do.....
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 14
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/6/2017 11:37:20 AM
There are scammers everywhere.

But dating sites have plenty of easy pickin's for men who say they want a relationship -- but only hope to get laid. Married ones who can't get out of the house to go lookin' don't have to any more. For singles, there's the numbers, thing.

Biggest scam I have gotten in the past is men who say they enjoy the same activities I do. But they actually have no life beyond PUA.

I'm pretty sure the sincere menfolk on dating sites have plenty of stories to tell about games women play, as well.

It only takes one. And it IS possible to find a good one on a site.

But it's also easy to get involved in some interest groups to find people who are really single -- and really do the things they claim to enjoy.

Also, you will meet them in person. No fake or old pics. No lies about height and weight.

BTW: I have NEVER to my knowledge encountered a man who tried to scam me for cash. Or was actually a Nigerian Phishing machine.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 15
scammers
Posted: 6/6/2017 1:36:09 PM

So far, all I have seen are scammers. This place seems to breed them.

That is only because your profile is a scammers dream.

You basically lay out all the things a scammer needs to hit your hot buttons.
 spot4username
Msg: 16
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/6/2017 2:45:28 PM
^^^^^ Yup. What he said. In spades!
If scammers have a what to look for training profile this guy would be a perfect example.
That is why at the beginning of the thread I suggested he head over to profile review.
 PollyR107
Msg: 17
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/6/2017 5:09:03 PM
There are scammers in every nook and cranny of the Internet. Not just dating websites, they're looking to con people in every way possible. I'm sure almost all of us have seen phishing emails, received phone calls pretending to be from you bank etc. One just has to be very careful and savvy enough.

I think I might have one scammer contacted me once. The profile said he was in mid 50s from the U.S., looking for someone to spoil and it'd make his day if I emailed him. Not a chance. Some scammers might see my profile as an Oreintal girl wanting to date a westerner for a better life or citizenship. I'm a British citizen with a good job so don't need a sugar Daddy or someone of a similar sort. I could be wrong though but the profile was just off. So I blocked and deleted the message straight away.

Sadly, there're still a number of naïve users who fall victim to these low life scammers. So they're bound to be here for a long time.
 daynadaze
Msg: 18
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/6/2017 7:23:02 PM
I've never fallen for one, they are way too obvious.
 Destinnie
Msg: 19
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/8/2017 6:12:22 PM
Yup .... this place is full of scammers.
Met one 10 years ago on this site, and he was an avid poster in the forums.
Took many women for money as he was running a ponzie scheme.
He now has a couple of warrants out for his arrest.
He's on the run, and I keep looking online to see if he has put up another profile to scam other woman.
You have to be very discerning on here.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 20
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/8/2017 6:38:53 PM
Dating scams are a multi-million dollar business. It's very profitable and really not hard to do. It's amazing that people keep falling for the scams, because they're all basically the same. I just inherited money, but I'm stuck in another country trying to get it. If you give me money, I will repay you enormously in return and marry you when I get back. How can someone believe that, lol??? It really makes me angry to think about people getting scammed that way, but when they're informed they're being scammed, they refuse to listen until they're broke and the scammer doesn't need them anymore.
 hearton64
Msg: 21
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/10/2017 5:44:15 AM

It is probably just a pipe dream trying to find
honest and sincere people on these sites who are not
just trying to hook up.

Everyone's idea of a "scammer" is different.

Garnering money or sex seem to be the motive for most con artists.

But are you claiming as a man
you are being conned into a
possible relationship only to be
considered a sex object by women
who want to exploit you for sex?

I'm sorry but I can't say anything beyond...

Welcome to the Club Vagina!

Most men here would give their
left nut to solely be used for sex!

And most of them are here scamming women!

My condolences on your plight.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 22
scammers
Posted: 6/10/2017 8:57:29 AM
I've had hookers contact me here.

A shame they were ugly as fvck
 ohenryx
Msg: 23
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/10/2017 11:14:38 AM

hearton64
Garnering money or sex seem to be the motive for most con artists.

Interesting. Now I’m a “con artist” because I’m interested in sex? That’s a new one. I hear “player” all of the time, but this is a first, calling me a scammer and/or a con artist.

ClooneysTutor
I've had hookers contact me here.

A shame they were ugly as fvck

I don’t encounter that much on this site (POF). Mostly on Tinder these days. Rather easily spotted, though. A picture that shows a young beautiful woman, and a stated age of 99 (or something else ridiculous).

In general, if she’s local, she’s a hooker or a sugar baby. If far away, then a scammer or a “cam girl”.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 24
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/10/2017 11:43:23 AM
Everyone is entitled to pursue what they want. The difference is, a person being fake to get what they want is a player. If you're not doing that, you're not a player.
 sugarlandguy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
scammers
Posted: 6/12/2017 12:04:34 PM
Well, if someone thought enough about her to leave her in Nigeria or where ever.... There might be a reason.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > scammers