Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > 'Serious' Music      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
view profile
History
'Serious' MusicPage 1 of 1    
Though we are conditioned to respect or even extol formal music, is it deserving of such praise?
For those of us that fancy that much of literature may be a fraud on us, shouldn't music compositions come under greater scrutiny? For example, J S Bach's works abound with overbouncy rhythms or too much ornamentation. And much of such efforts come from times when consumers of such products were easily satisfied
 WakemanR
Msg: 2
view profile
History
'Serious' Music
Posted: 5/28/2018 4:41:23 AM
I'm not sure it's worth entering into a discussion with someone who is already so opinionated on the topic. I mean, you've both asked and answered your question yourself, at least to your satisfaction. You've also given that opinion in such a way that it doesn't invite debate, but rather comes across as fact.

When it comes to "serious music" - which is itself a term that should be defined so we all know what you mean - there is no reason people should like it just because it was groundbreaking, or innovative, or popular, of whatever. Of course, Bach was of his time, but I'm not sure you fully understand his audiences.
 WakemanR
Msg: 3
view profile
History
'Serious' Music
Posted: 5/28/2018 4:41:31 AM
Duplicate for some reason.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > 'Serious' Music