Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Isn't This The Only Universe?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
Isn't This The Only Universe?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Isn't it arrogant to presume that there's a 'multiverse'?
After all, isn't the Universe big enough already? And to contend that there are others – perhaps, that have their origin in decisions that are other than those taken in this one – is more presumptuous than scientific. And why should anyone require that there be another, let alone an infinite number of them?
 hakkata
Msg: 2
Isn't This The Only Universe?
Posted: 8/19/2017 3:25:25 PM
The better question is why you think ours is the only universe. Very arrogant and presumptuous of you, to think that our our universe is so important as to be the only one
 DDSearle
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/19/2017 3:40:33 PM
False-scientists &c appear to assume that this is the universe in which understandable decisions have been taken. Thence, they'll presume that those that are not have caused the coming into being of other ones, in which we are meant to expect that the occupants would be acting other than in their interests, no?
 hakkata
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/19/2017 3:54:42 PM
If you can translate that into English for me, I'll try to respond
 DDSearle
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/19/2017 3:58:49 PM
Is each universe a pond?

If you can translate that into English for me, I'll try to repond

And may I stay in this pond?
 hakkata
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/20/2017 7:54:03 AM
Where ever would we be,
Without such perspicuity?
 Inicia
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/20/2017 10:31:49 AM
I personally do not think it is arrogant to presuppose anything, we just throw human ideas out and examine them, from personal points of view! Yet it may be arrogant to presuppose and disregard any non-confirming input!

Think of all that is contained in one human body, everything then multiply it by the population of humans, then all living creatures, then all plants, then all non living things, then everything in each element chemical or atom, now centralize it to this particular planet, wow.... it is astronomical just what is in this one, place: so the idea of multi, bodies, or pan bodies is really not super outlandish we have and have been studying our prime human example of reducing to similarities and differences of class categorization, from the beginning of our human history. Is it arrogant to believe their may be others that consider their existence prime or possibly are even aware and have knowledge of being a factor of a more expansive existence??? In numbers we accept primes however prime is just a limited system created from binary, linear logic.
 DDSearle
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/21/2017 9:15:52 AM
Do you know – in their scheme of things,
There's another Universe out there, in which Hakkata or LOLTrump do not exist
 Inicia
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/21/2017 10:07:08 AM
well i am glad everyone in my universe exists. Even if i find some a blessing and others difficult- we learn from whatever experience we have- some of the best growth comes from our most painful experiences- these are the experiences that induce change in self, yes sometimes growth, sometimes reducing or letting go of long held ideologies or principles. And while i do find a bit of irritation when a nonsensical, non supported, argument is presented in the guise of supposed intelligent discourse: this is far from painful. LOL,
here is an idea: another universe may exist wherein, we are everything we oppose or resent in this universe! lol switching spots and stripes!
 hakkata
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/21/2017 10:24:55 AM
Actually, there are an infinite number of universes and I'm in an infinite number of them. Unfortunately, so is babbling lolahole.
 Inicia
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/21/2017 11:38:46 AM
^ lol, chuckle, little snort too! Good to know you reside other places as well! I am a bit humble and feel my existence is limited, and have just one place of existence- hopefully i am short sighted! Maybe in another world I am a heroine of social change!.. In another the heroine of health care and longevity. Still yet the heroine of Love, and acceptance, then again one a fierce defender of all that is natural etc., or maybe everything in just one other world, a utopia of my own ideology getting my cape now...or Captain Kirka beam me up Scotty!
And with some of my recent experience beam me up might be the only proper response.
 aremeself
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2017 9:43:57 PM
Multiverse is only an idea.
There is no evidence to suggest one exists other than it has to be so because there is no chance that this very organized universe would arrive out of nowhere in one shot, or even a billion shots.
So,
An infinite amount of universes covers that.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/24/2017 6:09:21 AM

There is no evidence to suggest one exists other than it has to be so because there is no chance that this very organized universe would arrive out of nowhere in one shot, or even a billion shots.

Very organized?

It is almost like you have no idea what you are speaking of.

or you have no idea what the word variance means.
 Inicia
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/24/2017 6:13:15 AM
Every constructed concept is an idea- entertain some concepts, discard others. Infinite is an idea...
 DDSearle
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/24/2017 7:17:54 AM
Why would there be a need for several universes?
This Universe comprises all that exists. Although it may not contain God or our imaginings,
is it not big enough for all of us?
 LOLTrump
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/24/2017 7:36:40 AM

Why would there be a need for several universes?

Why do you think there must be a need?
 Inicia
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/24/2017 8:05:22 AM
Everything that human perceive- we tend to put in causation- creating the idea of need for a specific result. It is an an aspect of the human condition- you hear children at around 3- 5 years old pose the question why ad in finite um. lol Even though they learn that answers will cease to be provided and out grow speaking the question- that curiosity remains.
 teekata
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/24/2017 8:55:50 AM

Multiverse is only an idea.

Its a theory...although there may well be some way to test those theories some day. Regardless... if there were particles flitting in and out of existence that allowed for one Universe.... it only makes sense they would allow for an infinite number of universes does it not? If there is a possibility of something happening one time, than given an infinite amount of time and space... it has to happen again and again and again. Anything that can happen will happen.
 DDSearle
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/24/2017 9:09:43 AM
But particles or articles may not be appearing and disappearing in the manner posited by speculative physicists &c
The model of such bubbeling is just a synthesis on statistical analyses
In other words, it may be flawed
 teekata
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/24/2017 9:35:45 AM
^^^ yes... it may be. I'm not as smart as Hawkins, who explained the spontaneous creation of the Universe in the Grand Design... my flitting in and out of existence particles come from his ideas.. But our Universe could be a creation of God, could be God itself...or like God, maybe never was created... but simply always existed????
 DDSearle
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/24/2017 9:48:09 AM
I think of the wall at the end of the Universe,
at which the forces that hold-together the æther, in no-more having to exert themselves in all directions, will concentrate in the horizontal or tangential plane, thereby to prevent anything from leaving us
 teekata
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/24/2017 9:59:45 AM
Well I suppose there is a wall of sorts... we will never be able to travel outside the Universe... in part because it is expanding quicker than the speed of light and we will never be able to accelerate fast enough to catch up... or perhaps there actually is a wall of sorts.... let us know if you ever get there?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2017 7:34:48 AM
There is more than one group of people who postulate multiverses. There are the "just for fun" groups, who really don't care, but find entertainment in fantasizing about it, and there are the hard scientists who have found that the mathematical problems of physics as we understand them so far, are solved better with a multiverse than with a single universe. And there are the ones who find that purely philosophical or romantic problems are resolved better for them by belief in a multiverse.

Applying emotional decision making rules, such as making a judgment as to how much "arrogance" is needed to put such ideas forward, requires one to first establish that a standard of relative arrogance exists (which cannot be done, without having the arrogance required to declare that a god exists, which some understand better than others). After all, is it more "arrogant" to say we are certain that only ONE universe exists, or is it more "arrogant" to say that there may be many? Either way, we are declaring that we KNOW something that is UNKNOWABLE.

But I guess the main point I want to make to the OP, is that "this universe is already big enough for all of us" is a purely philosophical concern, entirely unrelated to what the scientists and mathematicians are concerned about. Basically, it could be said that they do agree that a single universe is plenty big enough for us, but it's not big enough for everything that our discoveries and investigations to date, point to existing.
 DDSearle
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/26/2017 7:57:35 AM
Well
Let me pose the philosophical question
Are our dreams, wishes or any of our thoughts restricted to or even a part of the Universe?
Perhaps they exist outside it. But if they do, then other things would too – such as the 'original' version of a table, chair or music recording, no?
 DDSearle
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/26/2017 2:09:38 PM
Well, thank you for taking the trouble to explain all that
However, my instincts tell me that the real world is unlike that that you propose
And I have studied some of this; and would have more confidence in it if it were getting us there. But is it?
It seems too twee to me
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Isn't This The Only Universe?