Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Vegan Diet and Recipes, Making the change?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PennyAnte
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Vegan Diet and Recipes, Making the change? Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
My daughter has recently decided to become Vegan. We watched "Cowspiracy", "Forks over knives", "Earthlings", What the Health" and "Veguacated" to name a few of the documentaries that made us want to make the change.
I have some recipes but for staples I have only been using rice and pasta. I've searched for other recipes on Google but the vegan products are expensive and some I try are just not good substitutes for cheese, mayonaise and butter.
While I didn't have to much trouble giving up meat... I am stuck on dairy substitutes and still crave butter and ice cream. I would love to know if any others here are practicing a Vegan diet and some Vegan recipes or how you transitioned. I can maintain the diet for several days, sometimes weeks but then I always cheat. Any helpful advice, experience, recipes would be very much appreciated.
 Mz_Informed
Msg: 2
Vegan Diet and Recipes, Making the change?
Posted: 8/23/2017 3:58:07 AM
Pretty quiet around these here parts, Penny. I know advice from other users would be beneficial, but have you looked at any of the sites online? There are lots and they look to be full of recipes, tips, and anecdotes.

And good luck kicking dairy, I couldn't even imagine life without "real" ice cream!
 PennyAnte
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:31:33 AM
I cheat. I have a scoop every now and then. My favorite summertime thing to do is take my 3 year old and 5 year old grandsons for ice cream.
I have googled articles and have watched many youtubers who advocate for the diet and the documentaries I have mentioned.

I am just struggling and wondering if anyone here had the same conflict when they decided to go Vegan. I've been mainly a vegetarian since I had my heart attack,(2008) occasionally having a nice piece of salmon or haddock. rarely having chicken.. but the whole shebang and completely cutting off all dairy has been so hard. Maybe someone in this ghost town of a forum went through the same and found ways to cope.

Google is awesome but there is nothing like having a struggle and someone saying "me too".
 Molly Maude
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:26:14 PM
... not vegan here but after 30 some years of being sick and watching my 2-year-old daughter cough, vomit multiple times a day, my sister, an R.N., convinced me to go dairy-free for just 3 days ... my daughter stopped vomiting during that 1st day ... it WAS a challenge ... but I had a LOT of motivation ... not having anaphylactic reactions daily ... hang in there!! sorry the forums are so dead ...

incidentally, my biggest hurdles were chocolate milkshakes and pizza! it passes ... also Ben & Jerry and So Delicious now make wonderfully delicious ice creams that I find more than acceptable! decades ago, it wasn't so!
 Mz_Informed
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/24/2017 7:01:49 AM
Huh. Ben and Jerry's have vegan ice cream, cool. I'd post a link but some times they skew the thread format. Just google it.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2017 5:49:20 PM
Yes. I love chocolate milkshakes and frappes. My favorite desert is Japanese fried ice cream. There is no point in getting a pizza without cheese you may as well just make a sandwich. Thank you Molly. It may never pass. I have been sober for years and I still think about a drink once and awhile. I can't imagine never thinking about butter again. :(

Yes anything Ben and Jerry's is good.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2017 11:42:51 PM
Penny, if you want to have ice cream sometimes or pizza, just have it unless you have a big objection to it. Following a vegan lifestyle doesn't necessarily mean you have to adhere to everything they do all the time. People do craft their own vegan diets with not being totally vegan.

For myself, I am not a big meat eater and rarely have meat during the year, but if I feel like it, then I do. I have ice cream and butter and cheese. I just don't have a taste for meat. If you want to avoid cheese, you may have to try those cheese substitutes and some can be found in health food stores, but you may not like them and it could be a waste of money but that's what people do sometimes when they want to try new things.

I still like a meat flavor in some things like beef stew and a meat flavored spaghetti sauce. What I do is use low sodium Better than Bouillon Beef flavor. It is beef, but I don't have to eat pieces of beef to get the flavor of meat in those recipes. This is what works for me. Do what works for you
 PennyAnte
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2017 8:12:19 PM
@ New Yorker... Yes, I did try many cheese substitutes and ended up throwing them away. Neither my daughter or I could acquire a taste for the difference. They are expensive too. I might buy organic or free range and only animal by products. I can't eat meat.
I am still experimenting. I have become my daughters personal chef. She is working full time and going to school 2 nights a week and on Saturdays so I try to help her out and do all the cooking for her. She is gun ho! She already lost 7 pounds and she had acne which is gone.
My daughter that has survived cancer is maintaining a vegetarian/vegan diet which allows cheese and milk and some dairy. So I may find a fine line in between that works for me. I like your suggestion NewYork.. I hope to find what works for me.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2017 11:42:25 PM
I have been vegan for about 6-8 months now but I'm not militant about it. Ice cream is one of my weaknesses but I've found a few different vegan brands made with coconut or cashew milk. They've all been very good. I make my own cashew yogurt that is also pretty good - only 5 ingredients and about 5 minutes. Veganaisse mayo has been a lifesaver because I prefer mayo on sandwiches and burgers; spread on bread and grilled under the broiler tastes almost like swiss cheese so that's how I make bread to go along with vegan spaghetti. Haven't used dairy milk for several years and have tried cashew, oat, rice, soy, almond, and hazelnut milks. Didn't like rice or soy at all. Almond has become my go to for daily use in smoothies and on cereal.

Haven't found a meat substitute that I like so I don't even try anymore; I just use portebello mushrooms or boca burgers. I tried making my own vegan burgers last weekend (rice, lentils, onion, some other stuff I can't remember) so way cheaper than store-bought but they were only ok. I'll probably try again but more herbs/spices and cook on the grill instead of under the broiler. I've tried a couple cheese substitutes that were ok in recipes like burritos and cheese sandwiches but I've been trying to find recipes without cheese so that I don't have to bother with substitutes.

Mostly, though, I'm going with the whole food plant-based diet (not raw) so I can get a lot of food for less than the equivalent dollars of either meat or faux-meat/cheese foods. Usually on Sunday I prep a big batch of something (beans and rice, lentil stew, vegetable soup, spaghetti sauce, etc) and then package into 1-2 serving sizes. Freeze half and eat half over Mon-Wed. By now I have enough variety of packages in the freezer that I don't have to eat the same thing every day.

YouTube has been my friend for finding recipes and encouragement - High Carb Hannah, Pick Up Limes, and Caitlin Shoemacher are my favorites. HCH because she seems the most realistic, Pick Up Limes because she has great recipes, food prep lessons, and I like her approach to minimalism, Caitlin because of her 'grocery haul' or 'what I ate for $25/week' lessons. Otherwise, when I need a recipe for a particular purpose or to use up an ingredient, google always finds something tasty. Pickles n Honey is one of my favorite sites http://www.picklesnhoney.com
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2018 1:01:23 PM
I have found that as I age I need less food. I don't think I could eat a whole vegan at one sitting anymore.
I don't buy as much meat anymore and this forces me to create meals that are vegan. I fall back on meals I learned to make in colledge and hung around more people doing some version of meatless cooking.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2018 1:43:07 PM
You need some bean dishes for the protein. There's soy, but 90% is said to be gmo. Nuts are good too.
 curvylady1965
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2018 4:39:43 AM
I went vegan for a couple of years. Although it was a billboard display of a juicy burger that did me in, it was avoiding dairy that was the toughest. It was quite an education to see how many products contain whey. This was several years ago. More recently, I've found it increasingly difficult to profess to love animals while ingesting them, knowing what happens (some of what happens) to bring them to my table. I am a long way from where I want to be, however, I've found it helpful to consult with some of my colleagues at work who don't eat meat for religious reasons and were raised that way. They have a lot of talent with different spices and share some of their dishes with me. I used to cook a lot but basically gave it up since I don't enjoy cooking for one, so while I have no recipes to share, I would recommend turning to friends of different nationalities who have never been meat eaters due to religious reasons because I've found them to have a wealth of talent and information.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2018 10:31:05 AM
Indian food has a lot of tasty vegetarian dishes. All cultures have dishes that don't include meat. Spanish have their rice and beans, and dishes using native veggies. Irish colcannon is delicious. Italian pasta primavera. Countries where they grow veggies are good to look at like Mexico. Down south (southern east coast US), they do as lot of greens with their food, like mustard greens, kale, etc. It's good to include beans and nuts to bump up the protein. Pasta e fagioli, bean stew, bean soups, ecarole and beans. Good time of the year now for butternut squash soup, lentil soup or with pasta. Minestrone soup. Soups and stews are great for throwing in things that you would enjoy eating and not following some standard recipe. Pizza with veggies.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2018 9:05:27 PM
I like to experiment with Indian recipes and put a European touch to them. Aloo Gobi is my favorite, but with bratwurst spices purchased online. I also get a barley flour based hickory smoked flavor (like smoked almonds) and bake zucchini slices in the oven till crispy for BLT's. You can also make BLT's with tofu fried with this flour sprinkled on them.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2018 9:06:39 AM
Anyone try the cauliflower pizza crust
2 cups cheese(any blend you like)
2 cups cauliflower Grated
2 eggs
combine ingredients (add a few teaspoons water if needed)
cover pizza pan with parchment paper and spread out to the edges of pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or browned to your taste.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2018 3:44:17 PM
Hippy, I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting. I love egged, breaded, cauliflower that I bake and sprinkle lemon on them. Then there's the cauliflower grilled cheese that looks interesting: http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51638/cauliflower-grilled-cheese-recipe/

INGREDIENTS
1 head cauliflower, (to make about 4 cups processed cauliflower)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. finely grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 1/2 c. shredded white Cheddar

DIRECTIONS
Cut cauliflower into florets. Process cauliflower florets in a food processor until the texture resembles rice. Alternatively, you can grate the cauliflower.

In a medium bowl, combine processed cauliflower, eggs, Parmesan and oregano. Mix until evenly combined then season with salt and pepper.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray then scoop the cauliflower mixture into a small patty on one side of the pan. Repeat to form a second patty on the other side. (These are your “bread” slices.) Press down on both pieces with a spatula and cook until golden underneath, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the other sides are golden, about 3 minutes more.
Top one cauliflower slice with cheese then place the other cauliflower slice on top. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2018 5:06:05 PM
Wrongt thead. Neither eggs nor cheese are vegan
 Cynderella
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2018 5:50:47 PM
^^^That is what I was thinking!
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2018 6:43:43 PM
There are so many types of vegetarian diets. I don't try to tie both hands behind my back to eat less meat. Health should be the top concern over completely eliminating foods that easily provide essential nutrients.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2018 7:30:19 PM
There are locto-ovo vegetarians. Still, a person could use vegetarian cheese and make substitutions for the egg.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2018 5:33:41 PM
They made a cauliflower grilled cheese on "The Chew" (like I posted), and didn't like it.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2018 12:06:17 PM
I recently watched a you tube video about top ten diners and one featured was a vegan diner in Chicago. The main feature was a Rueben made with a meat substitute seitan. Anyone have recipes or more info on seitan?
 NewYorker58
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2018 7:23:40 PM
I've heard about it, but never tried it or don't recall trying it. I naturally eat traditionally non-meat dishes, so I don't look for a meat substitute. I have routinely bought veggie corn dogs and vegetarian chili, where they're using soy. I don't think soy is great, as most is a gmo product, and may have other issues. I know it's not good for dogs.

I watch the Jazzy Vegetarian sometimes on my Create Channel. Her food looks pretty unappetizing. She uses seitan and made seitan piccata that looks gross, partly due to her not following a traditional recipe, and blasting it with herbs that don't belong in there. I know she's trying to bump up the flavor, but herbs won't make up for not having fond to scrape off the pan bottom for the sauce. I'm making stuffed peppers for dinner for a friend this week. I'll stuff some with more meat for him, and more rice for myself. Seitan may actually work well in a flavorful dish like that.

https://vimeo.com/138208249
 GarrettG40
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2018 12:00:50 AM
HELLO there how is efegaresdgdafhgdsafhgfghdafrhgdfhsdagfhsfdghdfagadfgadfhgsadfhgdsafhgdf
 Inner_circle
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2018 1:13:40 PM
Personally, I didn't try to use dairy subs for a couple years after stopping eating dairy, because the subs are never as good as we want them to be. But after not trying any sour cream at all for 2 years, I found a sub that is more then acceptable to me. It seems I needed my tongue to forget what the previous stuff tasted like before it would accept the alternative. (tuffiti is my choice)

Nowadays I make my own cheeses and as of yesterday, my own yogurt too. (derived from my home made nut milks)

I am on pinterest and the amount of vegan dinner recipes there is outstanding. I would be lost without my board actually. I have a whole new appreciation for beans and lentils.

If anyone would have told me 10 years ago I would ever be a vegan...I would have bet the farm against it, but I have to say...I have never felt this good on my entire life! It may not be for everyone, but my all of my ailments went away!

I see folks I used to mock for being vegan and I have to humble myself...and apologize. I was wrong.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Vegan Diet and Recipes, Making the change?