Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Bumble      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 siisaa
Msg: 1
BumblePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Has anyone tried this app? It's like Tinder but the women have to initiate contact. When you match with someone, the woman has 24 hours to contact or else the match vanishes. I like the premise but have not tried it. I think it would cut down on a candy-shop mentality & ego-boosting that inflicts many young women in online dating because it forces them to be decisive and initiate contact with the men first. Then again, maybe that's just idealism.
 spot4username
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/21/2017 6:27:44 PM
I have a gf who lives in Jax (nearest big city to me) who uses it and says it's okay. She says Tinder is better. I have had good experiences with Tinder. I think it is like any other app/site a lot of it depends on geography and age. One that has lots of options in one place may be dismal in another.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/21/2017 6:32:32 PM

Bumble

Bimbo?

Ohhh....Bumble.

Never used it. (or the other one)

candy-shop mentality & ego-boosting that inflicts many young women in online dating

I'm not convinced those are confined only to "young" women in online dating.

maybe that's just idealism.

Most likely.
 siisaa
Msg: 4
Bumble
Posted: 8/21/2017 6:43:32 PM

I'm not convinced those are confined only to "young" women in online dating.

LOL, true. I find it funnier (and more pathetic) when people who are past their prime still have outlandish expectations. The pond is already dried up considerably..it's like, 'have you SEEN the competition out there?' Delusions of grandeur indeed
 spot4username
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/21/2017 6:55:42 PM
^^
Again that has a lot to do with geography. Since I live in an area where a lot of the singles are older than me my view is different. The prime you speak of can be on a sliding scale. But yes, there will always be those who reach for the stars so to speak.
 gtomustang
Msg: 6
There's an app for men who fail to ask, called Fumble
Posted: 8/21/2017 6:56:38 PM
"maybe its just idealism"

>>>my math says, if a bunch of women on a singles website say yes, then your idealism is well placed.
 IBup4it
Msg: 7
There's an app for men who fail to ask, called Fumble
Posted: 8/21/2017 9:27:43 PM
Don't know how well it is or tinder for that matter can't swipe a desktop, hope it works for you though.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 12:09:59 AM

I find it funnier (and more pathetic) when people who are past their prime still have outlandish expectations.

It's not "expectations" - it's "hope", the same as they had in their younger days. Only true playas expect to score on a consistent basis. Other men hope, pray, pay, beg, plead, and try to bribe their way to some kind of attention.

I would expect such a "woman's choice" site to be pretty much D.O.A., because women generally don't want to chase men. They don't have to - and the ones that DO will be shocked to find men asking them to foot the dinner bill. "It's only fair."

Seriously, if you sent out messages to 10 guys and got 10 rejections, would you keep using that site? For men, 10 rejections is a drop in the bucket and business as usual.

Still....give it a go, and perhaps you will learn firsthand a little about what men go through to get a date.

Some Curious Reading on REDDIT:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bumble/
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 2:42:49 AM
I have not tried Tinder or Bumble,, but doubt would make a difference. lol
 PlutoLover68
Msg: 10
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 8:40:21 AM
I have a bumble account and am not a huge fan. I hate having to make the first contact every time. I'm a bit old fashion at times and occasionally like a man to pursue me. Also, I think there are a lot of fake profiles on there. Not fake scammer type, but ones set up by bumble to draw you in. Then, when you match with them they quickly disappear before you can message them. Seriously, I've seen more clean cut, good looking, wealthy "white collar" types on there than any other dating site. Very few profiles that just appear to be average joe in the suburbs.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:32:44 AM

I think it would cut down on a candy-shop mentality & ego-boosting that inflicts many young women in online dating because it forces them to be decisive and initiate contact with the men first.

I think the 24-hours-or-bust thing, regardless of who has to initiate contact, is the only thing that cuts down on the "window shopping" mentality. Not by a whole lot, though.

I hate having to make the first contact every time. I'm a bit old fashion at times and occasionally like a man to pursue me.

It has nothing to do with pursuit really... and it's not about anything old-fashioned at all (otherwise, don't do anything online, right?). It's a mutual Like -- but the gal just has to say the first words to show that she's going to pay attention. :) I mean, if you're on Tinder where there's a mutual Like that alerts both of you, and the guy goes "Hey, what's up?" -- how much of a real "pursuit" is that? :) All that is, is "I'm paying attention". An actual pursuit is keeping a conversation going (where it can easily fade out, online) -- and bringing up the notion to get together in person.

Bumble's pretty good. It's now a Real online dating site/app. I think it got it's popularity by giving some "power" to the gals, which attracts them, even though it's not so much "power" in reality -- but it is in some sense, as they aren't swamped with messages (even with mutual matches). It's a good app to use in the dating scene. But at the end of the day, if a guy can't get a date off Tinder, he's not going to see a world of difference using Bumble -- but it's definitely worth a try.
 hemingway234
Msg: 12
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:50:31 AM

I have a bumble account and am not a huge fan. I hate having to make the first contact every time. I'm a bit old fashion at times and occasionally like a man to pursue me.

- Bingo.

I suspect making women contact first is a gimmick. I think you'll find Tinder to be a more active dating app.
 siisaa
Msg: 13
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:57:23 AM

Seriously, I've seen more clean cut, good looking, wealthy "white collar" types on there than any other dating site.

Yes, I've noticed that too. I was on it for about 30 minutes yesterday just to browse. It may have something to do with our region...all the Microsoft, Amazon and other tech industry employees. Every other man I saw was either in IT, academia or healthcare. That and my age settings were set to 40 & up.
 PlutoLover68
Msg: 14
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 11:16:01 AM

It may have something to do with our region

But wouldn't we be seeing this same demographic on other dating platforms if that was the case? I surely don't see this on POF or OKC or Tinder.
 hemingway234
Msg: 15
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 11:39:38 AM
It's true that some dating sites make fake profiles to populate their database. Usually the small sites.

And this might scare you - don't be surprised if you see your pic there someday. They have to get them somewhere!

I'd stick with the big sites such as match, pof, okstupid, and tinder.
 IBup4it
Msg: 16
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 1:51:18 PM
^ Yeah cause only 1/20 are actually human on those sites depending on where cleverbots are geographically located too. If you're in a small geographical area they need to balance out actual profiles so they create them to get business. The biggest players in having fake or dead, scamming, and bots are the sites Hemmingway mentions cause they are most used and most popular.

Ever have a conversation that can't keep on topic? You think that is human? It's not nor has it ever been and yet uninformed people complain and write topics about bots, and fake profiles? So yeah I just had to amuse myself because well that shit is funny to me. Bit assholish sure as it is their lives, yet humorous that they wouldn't even take the time to read on how to identify anything and still create and send messages. It's like those who can't follow simple instructions on a game or making something and complain how bad it is cause they just want to do it without a thought to how it works.

If you going to do something be aware of the surroundings and the environment you are in know identifying traits and markers so you don't have problems. It's why I get messages back I look and identify distinguish between bot and real and can skip majority of dead, or bot profiles and not waste my time and find real people faster. If you have a good profile, nice pictures even if your average you will be responded to but message humans.

There are websites and blogs that focus on identifying most cleverbots, fake profiles who to message who not to all you need to do is a little reading. That 10-15 minutes can save hours in your search regardless of the site you use.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/22/2017 7:13:39 PM

Also, I think there are a lot of fake profiles on there. Not fake scammer type, but ones set up by bumble to draw you in. Then, when you match with them they quickly disappear before you can message them.

This is the impression I got from reading the REDDIT posts. Women asking why so many men are ALL into tacos & craft beer, ALL mention working out, ALL have white-collar jobs. An impossible cross-section of humanity. Men asking if ALL the women on Bumble are models, because they seem to be. Is this the world's largest scam app? If there are no physical or job standards to become a member, how could everyone possibly be these ICONS of hotness & availability...???
 ohenryx
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:09:19 AM
I just went and signed up, and went through all available matches. There were probably 150 to 200 in my area, my age range. There were a few that might have been bots, or cam girls, or some such. But most looked like real people. I saw a dozen or so women that I know through Meetup, and another 4 or 5 that I have talked to or even met through Tinder or OkStupid or some such.

All in all, I would say that it's real, or at least as real as Tinder. But I have to agree with NorwegianGuy, if you can't get a date through Tinder, this is not likely to make any real difference.
 spot4username
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:37:20 AM

There were a few that might have been bots, or cam girls, or some such. But most looked like real people. I saw a dozen or so women that I know through Meetup, and another 4 or 5 that I have talked to or even met through Tinder or OkStupid or some such.

This ^^^ is the exact same experience that I have had (except w/ men of course). I see a lot of the same faces that I see on all the other sites meetup included. Since so many of the sites and apps have the same owner it is just logical to see the profiles shared across platforms. It says in the TOS that is a possibility.
 siisaa
Msg: 20
Bumble
Posted: 8/23/2017 11:13:44 AM
I browsed on there and wow....The quality of men was pretty top-notch. I swiped for an hour, matched with about 15 men. Messaged 8 and 7 replied back. From my limited experience, I like it because I'm more in control of who I talk to.
 spot4username
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/23/2017 11:23:49 AM
^^ That is very encouraging! I swiped through a lot of Tinder profiles last night. Sounds like I should give Bumble a try.
 siisaa
Msg: 22
Bumble
Posted: 8/23/2017 11:29:43 AM
Best of luck! I also don't use any lame openers such as "Hi _____", "Hi", "Hey, how was your weekend?", "How's your week coming along?", etc. If a man has nothing written on his profile, I swipe left regardless of how attractive he is. If there's nothing written on his profile, there's no way for me to connect with him via first message. In my openers, I mention something written on his profile so I think that's one of the reasons they've been very receptive to me.
 south_city
Msg: 23
Bumble
Posted: 8/23/2017 1:38:43 PM
I know men that used Bumble. They told me they got matches. But many of the women would not contact them without 24 hours ( or 48 hours if a man extended the deadline ). That sounds like a lot of people there aren't serious and are just looking for an ego boost. Not unlike Tinder or POF.
 forumfishonly
Msg: 24
Bumble
Posted: 8/23/2017 7:42:09 PM
^^^^ or Match, I had thought once that if they had to pay, they would be more serious...not so much!
 spot4username
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Bumble
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:02:40 PM
I downloaded Bumble. I went through every choice within 75 miles and -10 years and +15 years. I swiped yes on 3 of them. One matched and he and I have messaged back and forth a couple times. It has only been a couple hours since the download so I don't feel like I have enough data to make a real proclamation about how well Bumble does or does not work. We'll see.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Bumble