Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > 'Having Issues' With 'Issue'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
'Having Issues' With 'Issue'Page 1 of 1    
My concerns are that 'issue' has come to be used so much to stand for difficulties of any sort that it is injuring the English language. And such thoughtlessness may lead to what is probably the world's most desirable tongue becoming as unwanted as cooked is ox-tongue. Taking pains to point-out such problems as our language being taken for granted may put-off the day that it comes to be supplanted. And so, I air my woes
 DDSearle
Msg: 2
'Having Issues' With 'Issue'
Posted: 9/8/2017 6:58:08 AM
'Issue' is worse that LOL
That's what it is
Still, it makes a change from once-pervasive 'transpires', which, I would say, denotes what a plant does with its leaves so as to utilise the latent heat of evaporation so as to stay cool &c; though that could, I suppose, be stretched into the connotation of to come out, whether literally or figuratively
I 'have issues' with other words and phrases, too
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2017 6:28:13 AM
I think the best way to fight back against the obscuring of meaning that results from the common misuse of existing words, isn't to try to fight the vast tidal wave of abuse, it's to calmly call for clarification in each moment of such misuse.

Lots of people, including the ones who are joining in to the misuse, are frustrated at the trouble they are having being understood. Lots of them don't realize that the problems they are having are due more to the way they are expressing themselves, that to the actual ideas that they are trying to voice. By carefully and patiently asking for clarification, you can help them find more accurate words and phrases to use.
 DDSearle
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/9/2017 6:59:17 AM
The lazy use of certain words can become so fashionable that even the suspect usage can seem acceptable. And one of the better things about fashions that trend so is that they will go away. The sooner the better, I'd say! But actually some will linger: and I will invariably point the finger at absolutely etc
 DDSearle
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/9/2017 7:12:34 AM
I MEANS TO KEEP THIS CLEAN,
Though, don't have no issue with tissues.
Expect that's because I use Kleenex
 Inicia
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/12/2017 10:36:54 AM
a means to keep it clean : tissue issue lol
 DDSearle
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/12/2017 1:35:05 PM
And I'm 'having issues' with you
You dish-up those LOLs out the blue
Don't you?
 DDSearle
Msg: 8
'Having An Issue' With 'Issues'
Posted: 9/12/2017 3:27:50 PM
I'm convinced now that the topic's title would be better if it were –

And a man that's allergic to 'issues'
May well sneeze through a boxfull of tissues
 2plunk
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2017 4:08:31 PM
Love it, great topic--
At issue ;
The paradox of --ancst. sm.

After 300 pages we'll still be at issue.
Issuing alternative issues..
 kornbluth
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2018 6:07:03 AM
"Issue" means outcome or to come forth. In common slang it seems to mean "problem" or anything other than a solution.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > 'Having Issues' With 'Issue'