Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Please Add New Category - Politics: Progressive, Liberal or Conservat      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NeytiriAvatar
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Please Add New Category - Politics: Progressive, Liberal or ConservativePage 1 of 1    
According to an NPR article:
It's not just an issue of party politics, it's about core values and finding someone who shares those values for a more solid and binding relationship.

Huffington Post, 8/26/2017:
Politics has become a huge hot button for single females looking for love online and offline. It’s brought singles together to coupledom and it’s shattered relationships of others who weren’t on the same political page. When it comes to politics and love, for many women, it comes down to shared values that mirror the different political views.

Differing Political Views are Deal Breakers:
A Match Singles in America Study released prior to the election said that study showed that singles who talked about politics on a first date had a 91% chance of getting to a second date. Dating a smoker used to be a top deal breaker while looking for love online. These days, singles can quit smoking easier than changing political parties.

A Modern Myths survey released by Tinder states that 71% of online daters consider differing politics to be a deal breaker, as compared to 66% of singles who don’t date online. As far as the top deal breaker, there was a time when geography, age, and religion were at the top of the list. Now, 23% of Tinder’s users say differing politics would be their number one dealbreaker, ading that profiles with opposing political views were getting left swipes.

Bottom line, singles who aren’t on the same political page can’t make it to the second or even third date.
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 2
Please Add New Category - Politics: Progressive, Liberal or Conservative
Posted: 9/9/2017 8:21:07 PM
This site started in Canada.

The phenomenon you speak of only applies in the US and places like Saudi Arabia. In most countries political differences can be deal breakers, but not necessarily.
 flyover_boy
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2017 9:41:38 PM
Ahhh...Identity politics. Have people of like mind meet others. We do that in other forms of dating and sure, it may contribute to our ‘bubbles’ more, but I can see the appeal. I have dated those self identified politically with me, to the Right, yet we’ve had vicious arguments as the Devil and details appear. I come to the believe I am better paired with someone A-Political. If you’re passionate about politics, we probably won’t get along too well. This goes with my saying, ‘similarities can be fractious while differences can compliment.’

I agree with you, that our private dating should not be subjected to ‘diversity challenges,’ and that doing such doesn’t make better pairings. Diversity in all things is not ALWAYS a virtue. One of the problems doing this, is in finding someone A-Political, might read someone with a political identity as too self righteous and inflexible.

Doing so too, may not be as simple as it appears. Andrea Tantaros penned a book called: ‘Tied Up in Knots: How Getting What We Wanted Made Women Miserable,’ she was a guest on Jim Bohannon last year. She mentioned successful liberal women in the entertainment business were privately giving the conservative narrative. They wanted the life of Middle America, picket fence and being a mom, not a righteous feminist...’hear me roar.’

By the way, this has been done on Chemistry for years, and even eHarmony has done it for quite some time.
 NeytiriAvatar
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2019 10:29:32 AM
Update, Jan. 2019: Evidently stats show a large majority of men on dating sites are conservatives. Apparently most of the liberal men are in relationships and happy at home! Possibly, this is why POF doesn't have a 'Politics' category.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Please Add New Category - Politics: Progressive, Liberal or Conservative