Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Menthol cigarettes banned      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 elednuw
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Menthol cigarettes bannedPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Anyone know where I can get menthol cigarettes in in Kamloops,B.C. after Oct 2nd?.Canada is banning menthol and all flavored cigarettes. I wish the gov't would have better things to do than interfere with our social habits.They have safe shoot up injection sights for free but can't smoke the type of cigarettes we want.How ludicrous.
 LGL1975
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Menthol cigarettes banned
Posted: 9/24/2017 11:48:28 AM
The Indians got them. 200 smokes for $8 last time I drove thru the rez.
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2017 12:15:03 PM
Smoking menthol cigarettes is a popular hobby/pastime.
You should encounter no trouble finding them in your travels.
 cooldog65
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2017 3:00:54 AM
Sounds like you have about a week to stockpile what you can. Chop chop...get to it!
 deetristate
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/25/2017 4:16:13 AM
so they think that only having "unflavored" will encourage people to stop?

what is interesting is how we put people in power and how we allow them to stay in power as they micromanage the lives of their constituants.

just as bad as saying you must allow smoking in your bakery or party hall.
 poppata
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/25/2017 7:45:10 AM
^^^^smoking should be banned outright. The rest of us have to breath their polluted air, pay for their smoking induced medical care. Very sad.
 funchesf
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/25/2017 8:35:01 AM

Canada is banning menthol and all flavored cigarettes.

flavored cigarettes attract children so the ban is most likely the government's intent to lessen the next generation of smokers and/or reduce the drain it has on the Canadian Healthcare System

the motto of religion and the tobacco companies is .... get them while they're young and you'll have them for life in some shape form or fashion

I wish the gov't would have better things to do than interfere with our social habits.

the first rule of society is to acknowledge that all it's citizens (except me) are insane and are in need of protection .... from themselves ... funches 3:16
 poppata
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/25/2017 8:44:43 AM
^^^ Holy cow fun... you are making sense these days? See I've been good for you. :-)

Slight quibble though.... Society also needs protection from others, not just themselves. In this case, society needs protection from Smokers, who by and large are inconsiderate and would smoke anywhere regardless of the impact of their smoking on others. One of the best things to happen to smokers over the last decade or so is to lose their rights to smoke on planes, in restaurants and movie theaters. Given what we know about the dangers of second hand smoke, smoking near others SHOULD be a crime.
 funchesf
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/25/2017 10:09:06 AM

Posted By: poppata
Holy cow fun... you are making sense these days? See I've been good for you. :-)

or perhaps your dyslexia was cured

Society also needs protection from others, not just themselves.

in a society in which all the citizens (except me) are insane ...."others" would apply to the only sane citizen (me) ....

society needs protection from Smokers, who by and large are inconsiderate and would smoke anywhere regardless of the impact of their smoking on others.

this is partly society's fault for refusing to acknowledge what Habitual Smokers actually are ...Addicts

also Hollywood of Olde is at fault for helping to promote smoking as being something positive ...in the Movies they smoke around babies, they smoke in Hospitals, they smoke when pumping gas in the car, they smoked while disarming a nuclear weapon, they smoke while trying to escape a raging fire, they smoke when they get shot and about to die....they use their last breath to take that last puff
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/25/2017 10:12:14 AM
To be consistent though, you'd have to make driving near others a crime first. Far more toxins come out of the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle than a burning cigarette.
 poppata
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/25/2017 10:26:20 AM
^^^^no doubt air quality and pollution affects health, and many in polluted cities with significant amounts of particulate in the air causes, among other things, mini strokes in people. But, until the gas engine is replaced with electric engines, cars will continue spewing their pollution, and at least cars do have value to society...smoking doesn't, other than to tobacco company stockholder. Further, you can avoid breathing in exhaust fumes directly.
 funchesf
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/25/2017 10:49:47 AM

Posted By: halforhalfnot
To be consistent though, you'd have to make driving near others a crime first. Far more toxins come out of the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle than a burning cigarette

the ban is not about toxins or smoking near others...it's about tobacco being flavored to attract kids ....but for the sake of argument let's use your exhaust pipe toxin scenario .....sure there are kids that huff gasoline fumes ..now imagine a company selling gasoline that produced flavored fumes to attract kids ...it would most likely get ban
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/25/2017 10:53:07 AM
I wasn't responding to the menthol cigarette ban, but to the poster who wants to make smoking illegal because of second hand smoke.

The response was that he doesn't smoke, but does drive. Ergo the former is bad, but the latter is good.
 chameleonf
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/25/2017 10:58:48 AM
^^^^ which always reminds me of those "healthy" runners who will cough and sputter indignantly if someone is smoking 20 or more feet away from them - outside, but will jog along busy roadways, sucking back the fumes with heavily working lungs.

vvvv they're bringing that up now as well. Some Canadian cities ban vaping wherever smoking is also banned.
 Kj521
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/25/2017 11:03:01 AM
"the ban is not about toxins or smoking near others...it's about tobacco being flavored to attract kids"

Does the ban include flavored nicotine pods and liquids for vape e cigs?

Cause it would appear that the new craze with the kids are...Juuls.
 poppata
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/25/2017 11:08:08 AM
"but will jog along busy roadways, sucking back the fumes with heavily working lungs."

Yes, not very smart...probably causing more harm than good. Running in NYC or LA is an iffy proposition for health imho.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/25/2017 11:52:34 AM

get them while they're young and you'll have them for life in some shape form or fashion

LOL !
That is the same motto ^...that Funch's dealer has tattooed on his chest.

in a society in which all the citizens (except me) are insane

This ^ is exactly what all the psychos say who get brought in to the emergency room in restraints by EMS...that everybody is crazy except them!

funchesf
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/25/2017 1:26:07 PM

Posted By: halforhalfnot
I wasn't responding to the menthol cigarette ban, but to the poster who wants to make smoking illegal because of second hand smoke.
The response was that he doesn't smoke, but does drive. Ergo the former is bad, but the latter is good.

breathing in one is consider suicidal breathing in the other is consider survival ...which is which... lies in the eye of the beholder

Posted By: Kj521
Does the ban include flavored nicotine pods and liquids for vape e cigs?

Cause it would appear that the new craze with the kids are...Juuls.

in this case.... the possibility of it exploding in their face is why the vape itself might get banned

Posted By: yule liquor
That is the same motto ^...that Funch's dealer has tattooed on his chest.

and that same motto "get them while they're young" is probably tattooed on the chest of your childhood Priest
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/25/2017 2:45:29 PM
::lights up a menthol cigarillo to pollute this thread::
 LGL1975
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2017 8:15:40 AM
Smokers are not a drain on the health care system.
 poppata
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/26/2017 8:18:31 AM
^^^^^ seriously? Do you have any idea how many health problems are caused by smoking? Goes far beyond just lung cancer and COPD. Many insurers now will not approve of surgeries unless a person stops smoking well before the surgery.... because of healing issues, and the health affects go on and on and on. You have to be sticking your head in the sand to make your uneducated comment above.
 cooldog65
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2017 8:25:48 AM

::lights up a menthol cigarillo to pollute this thread::

Swisher Sweet?

LGL1975
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2017 9:34:08 AM

^^^^^ seriously? Do you have any idea how many health problems are caused by smoking? Goes far beyond just lung cancer and COPD. Many insurers now will not approve of surgeries unless a person stops smoking well before the surgery.... because of healing issues, and the health affects go on and on and on. You have to be sticking your head in the sand to make your uneducated comment above.

Everyone dies. Compared to Alzheimer's or old age dying of lung cancer costs a pittance.
 gtomustang
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/26/2017 9:39:41 AM
its not just the final outcome that costs, its all the diseases health care pays for, rather than paying for other necessities, prior to that eventual event.

https://www.cancer.org/research/infographics-gallery/tobacco-related-healthcare-costs.html

There is a counterargument, that by dying sooner, smokers don't run up the bill for senior care and other costs of gettin' old.
 elednuw
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2017 9:47:59 AM
Thanks for all your great comments.If the gov't was so concerned about our our health(ya right),they would ban all cigarettes,not just menthols.Its too much of a cash cow.You have to be legal age to buy cigarettes,and when you are your probably not gonna buy menthols cause now you have a choice and most people don't like menthols.I totally agree that smoking is not good for you.I look at it as a social habit.The states who has a population of over 300 million doesn't have this ludicrouse ban on menthols,so why should Canada?.Menthol smokers close to the border will just cross the line to get them there.Canada will lose millions of tax dollars every year to the states from Canadian menthol smokers.If I'm a smoker(which isn't good) I should have the right to smoke what I want.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Menthol cigarettes banned