Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Movies unwatched      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CatManDo1959
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Movies unwatchedPage 1 of 1    
Just want to run this by. Over the years, I've picked up movies from Blockbuster closing, pawns and yard sales. Most are fairly well rated, as I try to look at the Amazon reviews beforehand. But, once I have them, I don't feel as inclined to watch. By myself anyway, unless I have company. Same with books, but I don't get more until I've started on the ones I have. If it's a video rental (a dated reference now) or borrowed from the library, I'm on the clock and I make time to view/read. Times are, I have gone back and binge watched my,say, Sledge Hammer (tv series) video collection, or the first year or so of Babylon 5. And watched most of the good current movies in the city's final run theatre.
Anyone else? comments? I have severely curtailed any more acquisitions unless it's -really- compelling.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Movies unwatched
Posted: 9/30/2017 6:00:47 AM
Well, I sort of do that a little.
I suffer from a couple of "curses." One is probably due to having been born to lower middle class parents who survived the Great Depression. I have to fight off the urge to buy or hold onto things, simply because they are ridiculously inexpensive, and "MIGHT be useful to someone later." The other is more positive, which is that I am a lifetime student of history and human nature, and so I have a very large film collection which includes not only films that I directly like, but also films that I know are historically important or are uniquely popular to OTHER people. I keep them as I would reference material.

For example, I bought a copy of Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I have never watched. I bought it on sale a very long time ago, because of the cult following others indulge in over it. I don't know how many DVD's and blu rays I own, just that it's in the hundreds. I rarely use them for personal entertainment, but I hang on to them just in case.

My "defect" turned out to be a bit lucky in one way. I have a severely handicapped son who can only really enjoy himself, watching films; but he's very picky, and very selective. When he's here, I NEED to have a big library of possibilities in order to please him. And since I'm "defective" in the way that I am, I do.
 DDSearle
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Movies unwatched
Posted: 9/30/2017 6:46:42 AM
Isn't this similar to the way in which we're effectively conditioned to treasure certain books? Many of us will have acquired these required works, which often go unread. After all, who needs or reads Rachel Carson, J D Salinger, Shakespeare, Charles Díckens or the First World War Poëts? Ernest Gordon Biaggini had it right: in hinting that most of literature may be a fraud on us. At least that is what, in his guarded times, I think that he said. Such is also so of music
 bobbyjo101
Msg: 4
Movies unwatched
Posted: 9/30/2017 10:46:32 PM
Yes. I have over 100 VHS tapes that I don't watch. I've considered puttting them in boxes and outside storage for later usage, but I don't need the shelf space they are taking up, so there they sit, taking up space. I have read a book called Fast and Furiously Organized. It helped me to stop keeping stuff. It basically says throw every fu*king thing away. I also watch Youtube videos on Minimalism and how people only have 150 posessions in their entire household. Its like a hotel room. It feels so nice to check into a nice hotel because it isn't cluttered and the drawers are empty. I constantly seek a way to purge my junky possessions.

Edit: I have watched 98% of the movies I own.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Movies unwatched
Posted: 10/1/2017 5:53:49 PM

Isn't this similar to the way in which we're effectively conditioned to treasure certain books?

I'm sure it can be, but it certainly isn't for me. I set my OWN standards for what I "should" own copies of, plus, I limit sharply how much I will PAY to have something in my library just to know it's there. I never pay anywhere close to full price for a 'reference film."

And I disagree with the Biaggini quote (or semi-quote). I studied a bit of why we DO teach literature, and why we DO assign some things as being important milestones for people to be aware of, and it's certainly NOT a fraud, by any stretch of the imagination. Now. Any given single work, might not really be as brilliant as some teachers or reviewers or "experts in literature" would have us believe, but that's a separate issue.

Sticking with films as the subject, there are plenty of films I have seen, which are considered classics or are described as pivotal for the history of film-making or story telling, which I recognize to be the most dreadful muck I've had the displeasure to sit through. However, the fact that a film actually IS garbage, often has nothing to do with why it is considered either a classic, or an influential creation of art.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Movies unwatched