Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > At the cinema      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 1
view profile
History
At the cinemaPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Film seasons come and go, but I've found myself watching a lot of movies this year. I'm male, so anything colourful, noisy and dynamic floats my boat, especially if it has robots and spaceships in it. However, over the last couple of weeks, I've also seen Mother! and Goodbye Christopher Robin. I like to mix it up...

Mother! was a film I saw blind, as in not watching the trailer or knowing much about it beforehand. It's a polarising film, and has split reviwers into those who think it's thought provoking and those who think it's pretentious rubbish. I found it very intense and claustrophobic, and the only film that I've wanted to stop because of that. It's an allegorical story, and one which you realise for what it is sooner rather than later. That helps in the last act of the film, which is graphic in the extreme, and not for the sensitive. Michelle Pfeiffer eats up her role especially, but the whole cast is very well chosen for their characters.

Mother! also stars Domhnall Gleeson, who is cropping up all over the place these days, and he also plays AA Milne in Goodbye Christopher Robin. It's a sweet, gentle film, which chronicles the writer's relationship with his son, who has to attend to the ordeal of suddenly becoming famous via the Winnie the Pooh books. As with a lot of period dramas, it's a bit middle class throughout, but there's also a bit of a nod to what can happen to children thrown into the limelight through association to their parents or siblings in these times of global celebrity.

Have you seen them? What else have you seen in recent weeks?
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 2
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 9:38:16 AM
No prizes for guessing.
 Hotbeaching
Msg: 3
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 10:31:21 AM
^^^my thoughts also, no not seen them neither do I know anything about mother, I went to see Dunkirk, not too impressed with it.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 4
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 10:41:50 AM
I saw that too. What didn't you like? I liked the way it was mapped out timewise.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 5
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 11:17:10 AM
The other day I watched the apey war one, can't think of the name right now. Loved it.
And the new alien one. Oh and expendables 3.
I'm starting to get back into the soaps now the darker evenings are coming.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 6
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 11:25:48 AM
"Apey war"? War For The Planet of The Apes, you mean? The reboot is great. Problem is that Caesar looked more like Andy Serkis than a chimpanzee. Angry scowl throughout. And the Exodus ripoff wasn't very subtle.

Alien Covenant: it's an Alien film, so big spaceship, smaller spaceship, big crew, 99% of whom end up dead, and a space monster. It benefited from a returning Michael Fassbender, not so much from Guy Pearce, who hasn't done much since Memento.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 7
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 11:45:53 AM
Isn't he just superb? (Fassbender)
I loved him in Assassins Creed.
I love the aliens, predators and alien vs predator films.
years ago before anyone even thought to put them together, I did.
 Squareslice
Msg: 8
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 11:54:45 AM
the Rocky Horror will never be matched
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 9
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 11:58:37 AM
Michael Fassbender always reminds me of a young Jeremy Irons, both in looks and in his acting style.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 10
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 12:00:33 PM

the Rocky Horror will never be matched

Not a film or show I've ever really taken to, and I'm a fan of a lot of musicals.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 11
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 1:01:00 PM

Michael Fassbender always reminds me of a young Jeremy Irons, both in looks and in his acting style.

Yeh I can see that

imanorangetiger
Msg: 12
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 1:53:57 PM
Question is: Are Michael Fassbender and Paul Bettany interchangeable?

flossiescratchwood
Msg: 13
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 5:51:28 PM
Spent much of the summer hols re-watching old action movies and thrillers with my son.

I love the aliens, predators and alien vs predator films.
years ago before anyone even thought to put them together, I did.

The main feature of the summer was just this.The boy decided we needed to do the lot. I'd seen all the aliens except the prometheus and covenant but of the others only predator, not 2 and 3 nor alien vs predator. I have to say the 2nd alien vs predator film is one of the most ridiculously funny thing I have ever seen.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 14
At the cinema
Posted: 10/3/2017 1:16:07 AM
^^^I know! Isn't it great!
Predator 2 was crazy funny too.
Apparently next year they'll be a Predator 4, and more alien films.

Are Michael Fassbender and Paul Bettany interchangeable?

No no no.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 15
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/3/2017 6:27:42 AM
Dunkirk. I thought it an amazing film but probably not unless you know the history of it.

Manchester by the Sea. I'm told it was just amazing and moving. I couldn't wait for it to end.

I was hoping to see Whiskey Galore but it wasn't shown around. It has Eddie Izzard in it so should be amusing.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 16
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/3/2017 7:04:42 AM
It'll be back to scifi for me: Blade Runner 2049, and Thor: Ragnarok up soon.

Justanotherchap
Msg: 17
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/3/2017 7:13:18 AM
I've booked in for Blade Runner but beware, it is almsot 3 hours long. Luckily, we have one of the best cinemas in the country near here. It's very civilised. They've chucked all the old seating out and replaced them with high backed rotating office style chairs, 4 to table. There are bars on both levels where food is also served and if you run out of drinks, just text your order to the bar and the waiter will bring it over!
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 18
At the cinema
Posted: 10/3/2017 10:34:30 AM
Blade Runner 2049....never said it or typed it before but OMG I'm sooo looking forward to this.

scareymush
Msg: 19
At the cinema
Posted: 10/3/2017 12:12:09 PM
I generally go to the cinema with my daughter (it's our thing), the last time we went we couldn't agree on what to watch and ended up viewing an animated movie called 'The Red Turtle', it was stunningly drawn in the classic style, the artwork so evocative and the story was beautiful...even now I'm thinking about how no words were used at all and how the message was universal, it was about love and ordinary human struggles of the emotional kind and I'm sure a hidden plea to protect the natural environment.

Before that, sometime before, we watched an Amy Schumer movie, that was great fun because two ladies of a certain age left the cinema in disgust because her jokes were too much for them.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 20
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/9/2017 7:47:15 AM
Blade Runner 2049 is every bit as good as the original. Loooong arty shots that allow you to soak in the atmosphere, a score that evokes the Vangelis original, and an ambiguous ending. Viewers really need to be familiar with the first film though.
 Jacknher
Msg: 21
At the cinema
Posted: 10/9/2017 11:24:17 AM
If I go to the Cinema I prefer escapist light entertainment action/comedy myself.

Thoroughly enjoyed both The Mummy and The Hitman's Bodyguard lately. Looking forward to Kingsman-The Golden Circle, Blade Runner 2049, Thor Ragnarok, Justice League and Aquaman. Gotta love Jason Momoa.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 22
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/9/2017 1:50:42 PM
If you enjoyed The Secret Service, you'll like The Golden Circle, although the shock value of gold plated establishment actors effing and blinding doesn't work as well as it did with Michael Caine the first time around.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 23
At the cinema
Posted: 10/9/2017 2:07:53 PM
Tiger!! you got to the pictures before me!
I'm gonna try and see it as soon as poss, if not it'll be some semi-shitty copy on the firestick.....never the same.

Justanotherchap
Msg: 24
view profile
History
At the cinema
Posted: 10/10/2017 1:33:29 AM
do you reccomend adults (me) going to se Goodbye Christopher Robin ? The trailers look inventive.

p.s. why are they called trailers?
p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?p.s. why are they called trailers?
 Hotbeaching
Msg: 25
At the cinema
Posted: 10/10/2017 2:07:06 AM
^^^^^ It's because it used to be shown at the end of feature films at the cinema, they tend to bombard you at the beginning of films these days, you can arrive half an hour before the showing time and still not miss any.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > At the cinema