Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Problems that might happen with people's profiles.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IBup4it
Msg: 1
Problems that might happen with people's profiles. Page 1 of 1    
People get their notches in a bunch as they get lots of views with no responses or messages.

1. Profile skimming might be the cause, I have seen people upset because someone didn't read a profile and messaged them. It might have been a skim if it is too long some people will not waste their time reading it fully. They grab highlighted words that catch their eyes and reference it, or don't respond based on presumption.

2. Too focused on a particular thing pets, kids, travel whatever if you are talking about it excessively it could cause a problem.

3. Pictures might say creepy, spooky, unattractive, ****y, even crazy to them you don't know their mind though on those pictures so keeping them pleasant, fun and appealing rather than different eliminates that thought.

4. Over analysing things too much thought in a profile when read might cause an issue. Both writers giving to much and person reading analysing and over thinking it either one can effect the outcome.

5. The clichés referring to the same overused few lines people tend to use when talking about themselves on their dating profiles. They’re generic, obvious statements that appear time and time again in the profiles of men and women the world over.

6. Venting and unnecessary out pour of emotion about who messages you on a profile. It won't cast you in a favorable light just ignore the small stuff and keep your profile about you not all those who pissed you off.

These are ones I think of off the top of my head.
 spot4username
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Problems that might happen with people's profiles.
Posted: 10/5/2017 6:34:24 PM
It is amusing that you believe you are in the position to give people profile advice.
 IBup4it
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/5/2017 6:59:08 PM
It is amusing that you would throw bait to try to gaslight a reaction out of me. Considering it's not about me it's about giving ideas for people to think about a different perspective to think outside of the it's this way and only this way idea.

I just want people to look at all possibilities that might be factor, to think for themselves. But close your doors don't look for new perspective and stay in that constricting comfort zone of yours it's been doing you wonders.
 spot4username
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2017 7:47:14 PM
lulz I guess you are wildly successful in the OLD arena due to the mass appeal of your profile. Help us Obi Wan!!

But close your doors don't look for new perspective and stay in that constricting comfort zone of yours it's been doing you wonders.

*head tilt* You must have me confused with someone else. I very rarely utilize OLD. My profile content is moot as it is without photos and hidden. I stick to good old fashioned real life. All it takes is eye contact and a smile. Easy peasy for "doing wonders".
 IBup4it
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/5/2017 8:32:42 PM
Yup I am so unsuccessful can't help no one glad we cleared that up. Another woman I wouldn't give a squirt of piss for and laugh at as she complains about the guy who cheats. Thinking she is entitled to something and will complain about what she doesn't have and try to get others as miserable as she is. If she was truly happy with her dating real life she wouldn't be here attacking me for no reason. Except an opinion which she can't give say anything on, it's always about the posters with them always will be.
 Invaniam
Msg: 6
Unfavourable light that might happen with people's forum posts.
Posted: 10/5/2017 11:51:53 PM
"6. Venting and unnecessary out pour of emotion about who messages you on a profile. It won't cast you in a favorable light just ignore the small stuff and keep your profile about you not all those who pissed you off."

This might be a good practice to apply to forum posts as well, eh?
 spot4username
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2017 5:02:45 AM

and laugh at as she complains about the guy who cheats.

Dude who are you talking to? You have me confused with someone else. I have never had a guy cheat (that I was aware of) on me ergo I have never complained about such a scenario.

Your supposition of my "dating misery" is in error but by all means keep projecting that nonsense onto me.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/6/2017 5:53:48 AM
I know very few people actually believe me, but profile content other than the personal stats means next to nothing these days. Some of the novelists here don't want to hear that, but it's true.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/6/2017 7:36:57 AM

It is amusing that you believe you are in the position to give people profile advice.

*giggle snort*

I know very few people actually believe me, but profile content other than the personal stats means next to nothing these days. Some of the novelists here don't want to hear that, but it's true.

I believe you.
My profile says nothing but a movie quote and I still get a couple of messages a day.
I mean it's not like they can even grasp my charming personality by what's in my profile.
 spot4username
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2017 8:06:25 AM
^^^
Right? At times I have put some really ridiculous stuff in profiles and gotten loads of messages. Those of you who have been around for ages may remember years ago when I put up a bikini photo and then filled my profile with nonsense -basically every red flag in the book. I posted a lot of the messages I was receiving and we had a fun time in that thread. It got me deleted

If you spend any time at all in other dating forums you know that they always refer to the Two Rules:
Rule One - Be attractive
Rule Two - Don't be unattractive
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/6/2017 8:09:15 AM

Those of you who have been around for ages may remember years ago when I put up a bikini photo and then filled my profile with nonsense

Dag nabbit. I missed it.
 spot4username
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2017 8:26:19 AM

Dag nabbit. I missed it.

OMG it was fantastic. I said I was a princess and that I enjoyed fine dining and wanted someone to take me on exotic vacations. I tried to put every obnoxious cliche' I could think of in the profile. It was red flag central. The messages poured in. I couldn't read them fast enough.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2017 9:00:57 AM
"Instant Chemistry" is everything.

If you're not good at conversation, make sure your American Express Black Card is on the table where your date can see it.
 from site to sight
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/6/2017 12:40:03 PM
^^^Does that mean there's a connection between Instant Chemistry and the amount of money a guy flashes on dates?
 IBup4it
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/6/2017 1:43:15 PM
People here have problems I look and see people's problems that "might" arise due to a minor fraction of people who like to read profiles.

Sure my profile matters so much here let me show you a headline on how much my profile matters and my grammar you tell me how many women are going to look you ready?

FRAGRANCE FREE

I am waiting.

If I only target the women I want the rest are irrelevant aren't they so anyone not in my targeted audience once I put that on my headline never sees it. No woman goes further who is not in that audience genius so the profile is then what he looks like, height, and body type.

I know because I get first question is "what do you do for a living?" <--- what the fvck? Breathe air what do you do?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/6/2017 1:48:19 PM
I hope the OP doesn't live near an airport,
because he seems to be missing the point of some
of the responses.
 IBup4it
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/6/2017 2:01:07 PM
@jelly I said I liked your profile but, because of what people do *cough* skim things they miss certain references they look for certain words and make judgments as you clearly missed where I said I liked your profile. and I didn't say "stalker" or "needy" thank you. Now who made things up? Show me where I said "needy" and "stalker"?

Exactly what I was saying people believe what they want to believe the way the brain processes things. Maybe you should go back and show me a quote where I said the "needy and stalker" Come on if you can't you did exactly I said other people do. Making you no different than the people who read your profile in their ideology on what is said to reality.
 gtomustang
Msg: 18
Thank you for playing.
Posted: 10/6/2017 2:10:48 PM
"people get their notches in a bunch"

>>>not to get your's in a bunch, but its spelled:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Gotchies

some people might get a look but no response b/c they're ucking fugly. :) Others might get the swipe b/c they need a trip to Profile Review. Some may attract flaky behavior b/c they attract flakes. Some may shoot themselves in the foot here for the same reason they do it in real life...which is what sent them here.

"Well according to OP my profile says I am needy, obsessive, clingy, bat shit crazy and a stalker..."

>>somewhere, I read that bikinis help.
 RonBurgundyLaw
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2017 10:30:34 AM
Complaining on their profile that they expect guys to say more than just "hi how are you?" with an opening message. That just comes across as conceited to me. Why put all the pressure on the other person to be imaginative?
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2017 10:55:54 AM

People here have problems

Now THAT is an understatement.

People here have problems

Indeed.

The State of California just refuses to pick the same numbers as I do when I play the lottery.

And Las Vegas slot machines just refuse to line up all the "7"s on the same line.

And I have to wear reading glasses.

And women are not pulling up to my house in limousines looking for a rose.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Problems that might happen with people's profiles.