Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > That Annoys An Oyster      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
That Annoys An OysterPage 1 of 1    
Oi ! What (particularly in the media, music, politics or society) that can be put right without excessive cost or effort, perturbs or displeases us? One wouldn't wish to go to war over it; and it may be less-than-obvious
 DDSearle
Msg: 2
That Annoys An Oyster
Posted: 10/7/2017 5:30:26 AM
I'm annoyed by the authorities and their pals in the media (that know what is expected of them) conditioning us to regard what I hold to be frauds as heroes. Some are willingly persuaded that we can hardly do without the efforts (if that's not too-grand-a-word for it) of, say, F D Roosevelt, J F Kennedy, M L King 'Junior', F V Zappa, 'Lady' D Spencer-Windsor, 'The Beatles', F 'Freddy' Mercury, David 'Bowie', W E Houston, or A J Winehouse. History makes such judgements for us: but it can take so long so to do that the manipulators are provided with a broad interval in which to tell us otherwise. Aren't we just too gullible?
 gtomustang
Msg: 3
what annoys oysters...makes pearls we pay a lot for
Posted: 10/7/2017 5:47:08 AM
the general problem with news is, they have to sell commercials. So they publish what attracts attention. Or they cater to a specific audience, so that they can charge advertisers for having specific audiences (Age range, etc) and the advertiser isn't wasting money casting a wide net over a wide audience to gain a few customers.

Then there is Facebook etc, using algorithms to decide what is news, and cater it to whatever other interests we supposedly have.

The point you raise about hero worship is interesting...which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Before today's media, we probably worshipped whoever in the village could throw the caber the farthest, or who made the best pie. There may always have been a part of the population who worships an entertainer for how they take our mind off our problems, or a sports celebrity (Babe Ruth?) we only know thru Movietone reels. The media might just be catering to that, and then we figure if they're catering to it, that's proof its normal behavior.
 DDSearle
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/7/2017 6:07:15 AM
But it hurts me to hear of vulnerable schoolchildren being told by, say, a teacher, who ought to know better, that studying Shakespeare is an excellent means of learning the English Language; B H Obama 'II' is an intellectual with an in-depth knowledge of The Law &c. In the U K or a country with a state-broadcaster that's funded by legal constraint via a tax upon the common people, the media and the establishment-figures that work in it, such as the BBC will pander, at times with false-news, to what it takes to be the interests of those that are forced to fund it. That may be why it tends to fill with soccer, what happens in the U S A &c. Sometimes I feel like an oyster that's assaulted on opening my shell
 MsSkeezix
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/7/2017 6:41:46 AM
^^^
Sometimes I feel like an oyster that's assaulted on opening my shell

In time you'll become a lustrous pearl of a man~
 DDSearle
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/7/2017 6:51:53 AM
Why, thank you Ma'am –
But pearls are for girls
And I am low on lustre
Though that doesn't stop me lusting
 deetristate
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/7/2017 7:47:20 AM
if you trust the television
what you get is what you got
cause when they own the information
they can bend it all they want.

----
waiting on the world to change
john mayer

i see delete-itis at work here.
huh.
sad.

better to just open an old thread.
 backcreek7
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2017 8:00:28 AM
~ you have a valid observation my friend ...

Although, I would suggest > that people in " the know " are aware of the true reality of themselves, their surroundings and others behavior. You may fool us once, even twice possibly, but - ultimately " we " will dig up the truth. A big problem though, is spreading that particular truth, among our fellow citizens. Unfortunately, this may result in mud slinging - or even worse. Seems that there are MANY of us, with very low mentalities - those who react, but don't think things through. They follow the crowds, like lemmings .... Un- fortunate & sad, may be the polite terms, to describe this truism.

S
 DDSearle
Msg: 9
That Annóys An Oyster
Posted: 10/7/2017 8:09:30 AM
And being told that, say, The Beatles are some of the greatest musicians ever occupies so much media space that it leaves little room for celebrating or remembering those whose efforts and influence are really great, such as Rosemary Clooney, Buddy Holly, Sam Cooke, Mary Wells, Bobby Bland, Solomon Burke, Bo Diddley, Etta James or Chuck Berry. But I don't have the patience or longevity to await History's confirmation. Meanwhile, Barack Hussein Obama 'II' gets the Nobel Peace Prize. It isn't fair, is it? Too much Witless Hooting
 MsSkeezix
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/7/2017 8:54:57 AM

I would suggest > that people in " the know " are aware of the true reality of themselves, their surroundings and others behavior.

Really!?! You give them a lot more credit than I~
 DDSearle
Msg: 11
That Annóys An Oyster
Posted: 10/7/2017 10:09:18 AM
It would be nice to have a topic here that could be 'bumped' about a dozen generations hence, in which we could put questions now to History and what it will come to establish. For instance, I would ask it to confirm that, despite what we are told, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is a greater show than James Bond, for the former uses cool skills or style whereas the latter employs uncool or nasty aggression
 gtomustang
Msg: 12
That Annóys An Oyster
Posted: 10/7/2017 2:00:24 PM
I'm certainly no music historian, so people are certainly free to contradict me...but I think of the Beatles as one of those phenomenon, in nearly any field, that learn to eclipse their field and become a household name. Their movie, A Hard Day's Night, I think came out after they were popular, but how many other bands had a movie that was about...them? not them playing a character or a plot that they had to fit into? It was maybe the first music video, predating MTV by a long shot. I'm sure they had to be popular first, for investors in the film to consider the risk. But did it move them from "just another band" into a thing unto itself? They seemed to outlast change, as they went from that era to, say, Sgt. Pepper's experimentation.

of course, singers before them (Esp in the age of silent movies) probably didn't have the access to such mediums that help a group move outside of their field. I can't think right now of a good example that everyone's familiar with, but it strikes me there are entertainers/writers/etc who seem to have benefited from advertising, who are recognized names by consumers not even interested in the field. They may reach a level at which they are so recognized, its worth satirizing them (The Monkees, anyone?) and the general public is "in on the joke".

or maybe i'm off in left field myself :)
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
That Annóys An Oyster
Posted: 10/7/2017 3:22:04 PM
I get really really angry about news media, and how people buy in to it. There's one sensational bit in my region that I do believe may be costing lives, and it has to do with the fentanyl crisis. Simply put, the media is running with these stories of first responders and such who believe they've been affected by accidental exposure to fentanyl. I've seen first hand, persons unwilling to perform first aid on unconscious persons who have overdosed, because of this ridiculous hype. It frustrates me to tears.
 gingerosity
Msg: 14
view profile
History
That Annóys An Oyster
Posted: 10/7/2017 4:53:02 PM
Perpetrator identity for some crimes (eg. mass murder) shouldn't be publicised immediately, where infamy may be a primary motivator or may provide motivation for copy-cats, and where it isn't necessary to appeal to the public for information. They should be given a code name like 'Loser#758' for the first hundred years or so. Internet crackpots will always think such crimes are 'false flag' events anyway, regardless of disclosure.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > That Annoys An Oyster