Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Would your politics affect your shopping choices.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Paulinenbeans
Msg: 1
Would your politics affect your shopping choices. Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
There are supermarkets that donate to the tory party. Asda and tesco definitely do. Wetherspoons donate to the tories as well.
The major supermarkets are also replacing the saltire with the union jack on a lot of Scottish products. I know a lot of people who have decided to boycott because of that specific issue. Aldi and lidl mark Scottish products with the saltire. M and s and sainsbury also give to Israel.

Would knowing that certain businesses funded a political party that you are opposed to influence your shopping choices?
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 2
Would your politics affect your shopping choices.
Posted: 11/1/2017 11:09:33 AM
...............no...........

10ky
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/1/2017 12:08:51 PM
Well a bit aye. I am extremely against imperialism for instance (hopefully, I won't be abducted by the Mossad for having said that). Giving to the tories, well, is ok; lets say. The union jack rubbish is provocation I would say but then again, most people are unionist in Scotland so the majority prolly love this shite.
 Paulinenbeans
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/1/2017 12:17:04 PM
2014 has gone.

I don't agree that most people are unionist now.

Why would you say it's ok to give to the tories if you are let's say a labour voter? The point is a lot of people don't know that certain shops are Tory donors. They'll shop there not knowing.

Why the hell should haggis be parcelled up and sold as British haggis! With a big Union Jack on the side. Marks and spencer are selling Scottish whisky as English whisky. Also with the union flag on it. It's made in Scotland

It's made in Scotland ffs! It's about trying to remove Scotlands identity and I won't shop in places that are doing this.
 10ky
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/1/2017 12:21:19 PM
2014 might be gone but the consequences of the ref are still with us and if you think that brexit has changed anything in Scotland regarding independence, you are as mistaken as Sturgeon. Mark my words.
 Paulinenbeans
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/1/2017 12:26:43 PM
I said nothing about Brexit. Where exactly did I mention Brexit? You don't need to tell me the consequences of the referendum are still with us. I'm perfectly aware of that. And they've impacted me personally as I'm sure they have mahy others.

Support for independence is polling 15 percent higher than prior to the last referendum and its higher than the vote was in 2014 according to the polls.

That's before any campaign. Anyway. I didn't post this because of referendums. It's about Scottish produce being labelled as English or British. And here as well as elsewhere in the U.K.
 look4welshFriends
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2017 1:01:28 PM
yes, but my politics is things like fairtrade and not buying palm oil except Fair Palm because of the deforestation of the asian rainforest
 Squareslice
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/1/2017 3:41:02 PM
Wouldn't touch tesco even wi your purse, Pauline. Utterly loath that shower o keech.
They have destroyed communities.
 6jellybeans
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/1/2017 4:05:09 PM
Lush donate to certain organisations who are anti hunting etc... Sadly those organisations also promote their members going out in balaclavas and attacking people, animals etc all in the name of whatever it is they are trying to promote. Somehow I don't think battering a horse or a dog with a baseball bat can be considered protecting Gods creatures but there you go...

I love Lush products but I will not buy from them while they continue to support organisations that promote and encourage these activities.

So yes. My politics do have an influence on where I shop.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2017 8:17:16 AM
Politics..No
Ethics..Yes
 scareymush
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/2/2017 5:19:27 PM
I've not thought to think about the politicking of the supermarket chains I shop in....I just buy Irish and with veg and fruit, I'll avoid anything produced in Israel. I'm fussy about where tuna fish is fished from and how and won't buy honey which might have been sourced from China.

These links are worth a read especially coming up to Christmas or any consumerist holiday really.

http://www.monbiot.com/2012/12/10/the-gift-of-death/

excerpt:

Researching her film The Story of Stuff, Annie Leonard discovered that of the materials flowing through the consumer economy, only 1% remain in use six months after sale(1). Even the goods we might have expected to hold onto are soon condemned to destruction through either planned obsolescence (breaking quickly) or perceived obsolesence (becoming unfashionable).

But many of the products we buy, especially for Christmas, cannot become obsolescent. The term implies a loss of utility, but they had no utility in the first place. An electronic drum-machine t-shirt; a Darth Vader talking piggy bank; an ear-shaped i-phone case; an individual beer can chiller; an electronic wine breather; a sonic screwdriver remote control; bacon toothpaste; a dancing dog: no one is expected to use them, or even look at them, after Christmas Day. They are designed to elicit thanks, perhaps a s or two, and then be thrown away.

The fatuity of the products is matched by the profundity of the impacts. Rare materials, complex electronics, the energy needed for manufacture and transport are extracted and refined and combined into compounds of utter pointlessness. When you take account of the fossil fuels whose use we commission in other countries, manufacturing and consumption are responsible for more than half of our carbon dioxide production(2). We are screwing the planet to make solar-powered bath thermometers and desktop crazy golfers.

http://storyofstuff.org/movies/story-of-stuff/
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2017 3:55:55 AM
I must admit to looking askance at some of the stuff we needlessly consume especially as we keep seeing more evidence that we need to do something about CO2 more than we are doing, Halloween being a recent example.

I totally agree with Scarey's article about Christmas gifts. I have 3 young nephews and nieces to buy for. They have more than enough and I was shocked and disgusted by one nephew opening his presents and then just chucking them over his shoulder into a pile. He's 4/5 years old and I can't really be annoyed with him. I believe he did play with the Star Wars figure I gave him but later saw that he has a big boxful of the things. I approach Christmas with trepidation not just because I'm not at all sure what to buy but I see the thing as a whole wasteful exercise that I will have to join in with to keep everyone happy.
 Paulinenbeans
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/3/2017 4:15:29 AM
Apparently tesco are backtracking on the saltire issue because there's been a huge boycott threat from Scottish shoppers. I've seen lots of people on my twitter thread say they'll be shopping in aldi and lidl instead.

I do boycott certain products due to politics and I'll be boycotting more I think as time goes on
 scareymush
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/3/2017 7:43:38 AM
@ justanother,

That article was written by George Monbiot from the Guardian, I've only recently discovered what a great thinker and hugely talented writer/journalist he is.

@ Pauline,

It slipped my mind to reply to that bit about claiming haggis and whiskey as British by those shops....you'd wonder if they were being deliberately provocative. If I were Scottish I'd have a fit about such awful misrepresentation...cheek!
 Squareslice
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/3/2017 8:30:39 AM
I'll stick to avoiding tesco.... along with the other big names. I get my fruit n veg for the week at the Saturday market.
Cheaper n fresher with the bonus of boot sales

Scarey.... it's effin whisky, not whiskey.... even more exact, uisge beath
 Paulinenbeans
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/3/2017 9:03:50 AM
It's about negating the identity of Scotland and it's being done deliberately

We are British now. Major Tesco boycott going on up here and rightfully so.

Lots of Scottish shoppers saying they'll only shop in Aldi or Lidl now
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2017 9:22:51 AM
I went off spirits a long time ago. Used to love single malt whisky but my tastes changed and tend t prefer a brandy or even better an armagnac. But my sister bought me a bottle of the best scotch I've ever had - Ardbeg. Smooth and very moreish. Even so, a bottle lasted me a year.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/3/2017 12:23:21 PM
"Major Tesco boycott going on up here and rightfully so.

Lots of Scottish shoppers saying they'll only shop in Aldi or Lidl now"

1) Who fvcking cares ?

2) Aldi/Lidl - yeah great Highland brands they are...............

Paulinenbeans
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/3/2017 12:31:48 PM
I care. And so do many other Scottish people.

24000 boycotting tesco at the last count

And no. Lidl and aldi aren't Highland. If thats what you mean by Scottish

But they sell Scottish produce with a saltire on them and not a union jack.
 Paulinenbeans
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/3/2017 2:17:19 PM
I live in the West of Scotland.

Not the Highlands.

15 miles from Glasgow. It's about food being produced here being not only labelled as British.

But as English

Let's see how England feels about English produce being sold as Scottish

It wouldn't be done. Would it.

Sorry I don't have any sarcastic smileys to put on the end.

I don't give a **** what you think quite frankly.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2017 4:54:53 PM

Researching her film The Story of Stuff, Annie Leonard discovered that of the materials flowing through the consumer economy, only 1% remain in use six months after sale(1). Even the goods we might have expected to hold onto are soon condemned to destruction through either planned obsolescence (breaking quickly) or perceived obsolesence (becoming unfashionable).

But many of the products we buy, especially for Christmas, cannot become obsolescent. The term implies a loss of utility, but they had no utility in the first place. An electronic drum-machine t-shirt; a Darth Vader talking piggy bank; an ear-shaped i-phone case; an individual beer can chiller; an electronic wine breather; a sonic screwdriver remote control; bacon toothpaste; a dancing dog: no one is expected to use them, or even look at them, after Christmas Day. They are designed to elicit thanks, perhaps a s or two, and then be thrown away.

The fatuity of the products is matched by the profundity of the impacts. Rare materials, complex electronics, the energy needed for manufacture and transport are extracted and refined and combined into compounds of utter pointlessness. When you take account of the fossil fuels whose use we commission in other countries, manufacturing and consumption are responsible for more than half of our carbon dioxide production(2). We are screwing the planet to make solar-powered bath thermometers and desktop crazy golfers.

Can't plus 1 this enough.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2017 8:10:40 PM

Politics..No
Ethics..Yes

What she said.
 lushbucket
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2017 2:18:43 AM
I go where ever its cheapest , that's why i frequent any spoons pubs.
 rekirked
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2017 3:12:41 AM
The only thing i detest on an equal par with politics is shopping but i don't have to vote, i do have to eat. I have never stopped to consider what i buy, where i buy it from, where it came from or what flag is on it. Life is hard enough.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2017 8:34:29 AM
I alter certain purchases due to politics and actions of governments of country of origin.

i think nationalism per se akin to tribulism .

i buy locally produced stuff whenever i can because of the carbon footprint, so when in scotland, scottish stuff etc.

Not because i am so up my own arse like some on here
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Would your politics affect your shopping choices.