Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Great bands from the 1980s?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Great bands from the 1980s?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
"The 1980s is considered to be the most popular era of music and a lot of music to this day is used in adverts on television. Queen and their live performance at live aid in 1985 blew the crowd away and they could not get enough of them
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Aid
Live Aid was a dual-venue benefit concert held on 13 July 1985, and an ongoing music-based fundraising initiative. The original event was organised by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to raise funds for relief of the ongoing Ethiopian famine. Billed as the "global jukebox", the event was held simultaneously at Wembley Stadium in London, England (attended by 72,000 people) and John F. Kennedy Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States (attended by about 100,000 people).[1]
On the same day, concerts inspired by the initiative happened in other countries, such as the Soviet Union, Canada, Japan, Yugoslavia, Austria, Australia and West Germany. It was one of the largest-scale satellite link-ups and television broadcasts of all time; an estimated global audience of 1.9 billion, across 150 nations, watched the live broadcast.[2]"

"Now which band do you think had the biggest impact in the 1980s and which bands do you still listen to from that era"
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 2
Great bands from the 1980s?
Posted: 11/9/2017 11:08:55 AM
"Queen and their live performance at live aid in 1985 blew the crow away and they could not get enough of them"

Personally, I don't place too much value in the opinion of a bunch of CROWS

I mean....they're only birds !
Posted: 11/9/2017 11:12:29 AM
lol indeed a mistake and thanks for pointing it out
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/9/2017 11:14:07 AM
No problemo

Btw, you look familiar.....weren't we sworn enemies about 1000 years ago, give or take ?
Posted: 11/9/2017 11:19:10 AM
lol, Nope not here to make enemies and just here to post about subjects on the threads
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/9/2017 11:21:19 AM
No, I'm saying we were enemies a long time ago

...isn't your name ....Coban ? Cogan ? Something like that ?

And didn't you have a nickname like....Cogan the librarian ?

I swear you look familiar

( shrug )
Posted: 11/9/2017 11:28:09 AM
I doubt I could be a librarian with my grammar lol...no I have just started posting after a break and never had any issue of any kind with your good self
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/9/2017 11:29:59 AM
Ok, just thought I'd ask
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/9/2017 2:48:41 PM
If we are speaking solely of hard rock, I would have to say Van Halen. Their first release was in 1978, but their influence carried over into the 80's enormously. You had a singer who became the template for rock band frontmen for the entire decade and a guitarist who could arguably be placed on the Mount Rushmore of most influential in rock music. Two huge factors here.

How much 80's rock music do I listen to today? Very little, actually. I am always on the hunt for something new, particularly in the progressive genre.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2017 10:36:37 PM
There currently is a Midwest regional cover band that started in Minnesota / Fargo area that has been growing in popularity to the point where they play arenas pushing 10,000 capacity. Their 'angle' is having 4-5 lead singers that switch out costumes to appear like the traditional 80's lead singers we once knew - Axl Rose, Prince, Steve Perry, Freddie Mercury and others. Each singer does 4-5 covers from that band, then they switch to another. Makes for a fun night.

It's hard to say what bands had the greatest impact. Some wildly popular bands at the time (like Van Halen) are not even recognized by younger generations. If you go by extended life, you gotta include bands like U2, Aerosmith, and others who have made popular hits in multiple decades. That's how artists like Prince and Tom Petty got their almost mythical status.

Something that happened in the 80's that also changed music was the birth of the "Classic Rock" music format for radio stations and the like. It's wasn't just Top 40 Pop that did well in the 80's and 90's -- it was re-playing even older hits by the Eagles, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and others who had peaked decades earlier.

I graduated high school in 1989 - and have the massive tape cassette library to prove it - but a lot of what's on those tapes I digitized into MP3s - and a lot of what didn't get transferred over is gathering dust in my garage. What was cool about the 80's and music was soooo much variety. 100 kids could have 100 favorite bands - and everyone would know who they are because they ALL had a hit or two that charted.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/10/2017 5:21:09 AM

It's hard to say what bands had the greatest impact. Some wildly popular bands at the time (like Van Halen) are not even recognized by younger generations.

He did ask which ones made the biggest impact *in the 80's*, though. Not to mention, Van Halen was introduced to a whole new generation with the silly Rock Band/Guitar Hero video game craze a few years back. I was surprised by how many younger people were at the last reunion show that came to town.

In terms of extended life, love them or hate them, Bon Jovi is certainly up for consideration, as well. I don't believe they've ever been reduced to playing anywhere but arenas since becoming a headlining act. If we include metal, Metallica is an obvious choice.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2017 6:51:38 PM

He did ask which ones made the biggest impact *in the 80's*, though.

By that nature, you could include plenty of 'Glam' artists Like Madonna, Boy George, George Michael, Duran Duran or Michael Jackson for inspiring fashion styles and wardrobes, even if their music wasn't extremely popular. I was a little too young to care about fashion for most of it, but from what I can recall, people sure wanted to mimic them. Guys had a single earring and crap like that. Who made the Mullet popular, anyway? I didn't mind the pastel suits from Miami Vice, but the spandex wrestling singlet and heavy eyeliner was never, EVER a good look.
 Cynderella
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2017 11:37:27 PM
Not the greatest band but one of the
coolest records when it came out.
Split-Enz
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/12/2017 9:03:18 AM

but the spandex wrestling singlet and heavy eyeliner was never, EVER a good look.

I went through tons of Aqua Net, but even in my days of playing in various 80's rock/metal bands, I never once wore eyeliner or spandex. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
 cooldog65
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2017 5:19:02 AM
I graduated in 1983 and a couple of bands that were popular in my school were Def Leppard and Journey. Heard them over the boomboxes plenty of times.

Since Heart and Loverboy were from the Northwest region (I'm including British Columbia), they were pretty popular, too.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/15/2017 12:30:49 PM
I also graduated in 1983 and had a friend who was the spitting image of the drummer of Def L. ( Rick Allen ? )

He wore Union Jack shorts every day of the summer of 83 and spoke in a phony British accent.

One of my greatest achievements was not killing him
 Cynderella
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2017 8:52:39 AM
I am fond of the Royals
King of pop MJ
Queen (Gaga got her name)
Prince
(throw in a virgin) Madonna

But I must say some of the greatest
memories are with Metallica and
Guns and Roses playing in the back
ground.
 Manofsubstance1970
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2017 9:30:26 AM
Cynderella, Metallica and Guns and Roses are very good bands:) I'm not one to throw compliments at just any lady, but I must admit you look beautiful in your photos and the camera sure does love you.

Michael Jackson was such a talented singer and had so many number one hits...you just can't compare any other musical era to the 1980s, because it blows them all away
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/29/2017 9:37:28 AM
Um.....the 80s blows the other decades away ?

You're joking right ?

The 60s is when music started getting interesting with the emergence of bands like the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Cream, Zeppelin, Motown.....

I mean .... come on
 Manofsubstance1970
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2017 9:59:31 AM

Um.....the 80s blows the other decades away ?

You're joking right ?

The 60s is when music started getting interesting with the emergence of bands like the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Cream, Zeppelin, Motown.....

I mean .... come on

You name a star list of great bands, I would add Hendrix and the doors to that list
I won't dispute that great bands existed in the 1960s, but I do think the 1980s introduced new types of music and had such a diversity of different music types. They started to use computers in the 1980s and cds were also invented in the 1980s, so the music quality was also far superior to audio cassettes, but also records

I got a bit carried away and I don't think it blows away any other musical eras, but I think it is better than any other era

At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and those reasons for our choices

Cheers
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/29/2017 10:07:24 AM
"You name a star list of great bands, I would add Hendrix and the doors to that list "

I could've added those and more but I figured I didn't need to go on and on

" I do think the 1980s introduced new types of music and had such a diversity of different music types. "

The 60s didn't ????????

"They started to use computers in the 1980s and cds were also invented in the 1980s, so the music quality was also far superior to audio cassettes, but also records"

Quality of SOUND and quality of MUSIC are 2 different things.

Yes it comes down to personal choice and IMO the 60s and 80s aren't even close ! With the shite new wave bands to the vomit inducing hair bands to artists being way less than they were in the 70s ( Bowie, Elton and QUEEN , for example )

Cheers
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2017 7:06:58 PM

Cheers

A dominant TV sitcom of the 80's - you keep mentioning it at the end of post with content about other decades. Just sniffing a bit of irony...
 Doubleknotspy7
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/8/2017 11:58:40 AM
No comparison between the 60's and 80's.
There was also a huge leap in technology in the 60's most utilized by the Beatles.
Along with the British Invasion you also had Motown, Folk, Psychedelic Rock, Surf Rock, Garage Rock, Blues Rock, Prog Rock...
Not many of the 80's acts had the lasting appeal of the 60's acts.
I would rate the 70's ahead of the 80's.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2017 5:32:05 PM

"Now which band do you think had the biggest impact in the 1980s and which bands do you still listen to from that era"

The opening poster's question wasn't really supposed to be about their opening statement and Live Aid - it's a question about a particular decade.
It's too easy to start a flame war about whatever bands we loved growing up as teenagers being the 'best', whatever decade that may have been.

As far as music LPs owned - mine is a huge variety. Which kind of exemplifies the 80's - it wasn't totally dominated by ANY one, single act - or style.
I started my music collection with mainly movie soundtracks from the 80s because they HAD that variety of songs and artists. I kind of wonder is there is a study out there putting movie music soundtracks in their own category versus any particular artist. Top Gun, Footloose, Beverly Hills Cop, Dirty Dancing - they ALL had massive sales numbers in the 80s.

As far as what I listen to now... the main playlist is still a hodge-podge of old and new. If I did a count, I'm sure Prince, Queen, Billy Joel, and Eagles/Don Henley would have more Mp3s than most, but I really hold no place of honor amongst them. I would mostly desire to see Pink Floyd again, but really, that was because of the concert spectacle, not so much their music.
 CampSeed
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2017 2:26:15 PM
No one has even mentioned Journey? Come on folks. I could name a ton more great band but what kid now a days doesn' t know the song " Don't believing?" None that I have met and I'm a Youth Program Director. They all know that song even th 5 year old. Think about how many shows that song has been on and movies.

Kids do know a lot of 80's now because they are in a lot of children movies like Minion movies , and mega minds etc. They also know them from guitar hero etc.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Great bands from the 1980s?