Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > POF = Plenty of Fakes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NCsc85
Msg: 1
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of FakesPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I've been on my share of dating websites and POF wins the cake when it comes to FAKE profiles.

I honestly can't think of a reason why POF won't do email confirmation (would at least slow the fakes) or individually approve profiles. Literally, 80-90% of the "meet me" matches I get are fake profiles. As in...very obvious. You know, the profiles with usually 2 pictures with one being of them either nude or with a bathing suite. It's incredibly annoying and POF staff if you're reading...you're losing a ton of people!!!!

POF doesn't stand for Plenty of Fish, it stands for Plenty of Fakes.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 2
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/1/2018 3:09:31 PM
Apparently POF is not losing people who complain about 90% of their matches being fake. So if fake profiles don't drive people away, I guess there's no real need to change anything POF is doing.

Besides, you can always ask for your money back.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 3
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/1/2018 3:55:32 PM
I live near a Military base, and there are a number of young women w/ profiles looking for sugar daddy.
Saw one of a young man w/ default pic was his junk.
 daynadaze
Msg: 4
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/1/2018 5:30:10 PM
POF is just as good and bad as any other dating sites...and it's free.
 NCsc85
Msg: 5
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 8:16:17 AM
POF as good as other sites? Yeah right!!!! POF has by far the highest number of fake profiles and because it's free...
 ohenryx
Msg: 6
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 9:10:02 AM
POF is technically garbage. Very poor software.

But they do a good job of trying to keep away the scammers. Definitely not perfect, but better than Ok*Cupid or Match or several others I could name.

As always, YMMV, but just my experiences over the last 8 years.
 from site to sight
Msg: 7
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 9:31:35 AM
The other dating sites that you consider better don't seem to be working for you either, since you're still on the hunt.
 siisaa
Msg: 8
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 11:40:55 AM
^ exactly. it's not the site. it's the person. if you're not all that great a catch, then it won't matter which avenue you use.
 south_city
Msg: 9
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 11:41:00 AM
There are flakes, jerks, cheaters, liars etc on every OLD website. That being said, I did have relatively more success on Match than POF. More emails, dates, and a couple of short term relationships from Match.
 NCsc85
Msg: 10
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 1:19:42 PM
Just FYI: I recently got out of a relationship with someone met on one of the other dating websites. The problem isn't meeting people of quality, the issue is all the fake profiles. It doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt if a majority of the active profiles are fakes just out there to scam you. Do you understand that?
 NCsc85
Msg: 11
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 1:21:13 PM
Yes, I would say that Match and Bumble probably do a much better job and attracting quality "candidates" in their own way and as a result most people find more success. One dating app i'm very impressed by is The League. It probably has the best quality out of them all but you have to wait several weeks for your profile to be approved etc.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 12
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 1:43:04 PM
www.top10bestdatingsites.com/Top Dating/2018

I admit it has been nearly 3.5 years since I last used an OLD site ......... for dating. When I did, I used approx. 7 different sites over a period of about 4 years, not consecutive, nor all at once.

During that time POF was the site with the fewest number of scammers.

The problem with a "pay for site" is you have no idea who can or can not reply to you, due to being a paid member, or not.
The other problem is who is......... on which site, where do they live.

For example. I tried E-Harmony for a few months Virtually every contact lived in Chicago. I live in Michigan. No.....I'm not driving to Chicago. See how that works?
 aintnodeal
Msg: 13
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 2:46:53 PM

One dating app i'm very impressed by is The League. It probably has the best quality out of them all but you have to wait several weeks for your profile to be approved etc.

If The League finds out you have a profile on POF, you will be automatically rejected. They have standards, you know, and it doesn't look good if you're hanging out with a bunch of "fakes".
 PollyR107
Msg: 14
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 4:17:49 PM
OP, I hear your disappointment about PoF.

I don't know about where you live but in the UK, there were a significant of people having been contact by computer-generated profiles. They're believed to be created by those paid sites to get people to sign up and pay for membership. Those sites, of course, denied.

Well, one might say that a small amount of membership paid isn't much because members will see more "quality" profiles. Yes, because of that small amount, scammers are known to be lurking on these paid sites also. If they're successful, they'll walk away with a much larger sum of money. There's no guarantee at all. I've also heard that members who have cancelled their membership found their profiles on the site(s) because the admin want to look like there are plenty of members to choose from. These profiles are known as dead profiles.

The quality of people on Match isn't different from those on PoF, IME. I had met better guys on here that I did Match. One of those guys is now my boyfriend.

I'm not saying which dating site is better or best. But one needs to keep their wits about when doing OLD.

Good luck.
 daynadaze
Msg: 15
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 4:18:12 PM
Why would you post this stuff?
 ohenryx
Msg: 16
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 4:21:09 PM

aintnodeal
If The League finds out you have a profile on POF, you will be automatically rejected. They have standards, you know, and it doesn't look good if you're hanging out with a bunch of "fakes".

Thanks for the laugh. That reminded me of the old Grouch Marx line, “I wouldn’t belong to any club that would have me as a member!”

from_site_to_sight
The other dating sites that you consider better don't seem to be working for you either, since you're still on the hunt.

Were you talking to me or the original poster?

If you were talking to me, then you’re making a huge assumption when you say none of the sites are working for me.

And speaking of “other sites”, I have noticed recently that Tinder and Bumble are showing me the same women, the same pictures. I guess women sign up for both at the same time, so …
 LGL1975
Msg: 17
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 6:28:00 PM

I've been on my share of dating websites and POF wins the cake when it comes to FAKE profiles.

You just joined. Scammers probably target new users. After you've been here a while they'll leave you alone.
 HanoverFella
Msg: 18
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 7:26:49 PM
So forget the fake date sites and get a mail order bride…problem solved
 purplerider1200
Msg: 19
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/2/2018 9:25:09 PM
Approve of you? Or your line of credit available? Is your job title, one they accept? (In other words, do you work for a Fortune 500 corporation?) Or do you work in "that other" group? (Eww!) Is your car less than two years old? Do you live in the correct section of town? From what fine family do you come from? Most importantly-

Did you include your dog's nose print????
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 20
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/4/2018 4:21:58 PM
not only free but has largest membership.... Dont waste money on upgrades either. Makes no difference.
 playingindirt
Msg: 21
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/6/2018 6:02:41 AM
any dating site that you go to or anywhere you go there are going to be fakes. when it comes to a persons authenticity it's no different then talking to anyone else that you don't know anywhere else. there are always going to be people that misrepresent themselves whether it's intentional or unintentional.
It's your responsibility to yourself to decide how authentic you believe them to be. If you think they're fake the simple solution is move on to someone who isn't.
 Nestaron
Msg: 22
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/6/2018 7:12:44 AM
Not fake profiles what in the world will we do try ignoring them and find real ones. There are fake, dead and unused, scammers, of all sorts of dating sites it happens just move on from it.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 23
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/6/2018 1:11:07 PM

Literally, 80-90% of the "meet me" matches I get are fake profiles. As in...very obvious.

If it's Very Obvious -- the reason it gets to you is because few gals actually want to meet. Getting a meet-me gets your hopes up, then, argh, it's a fake one. Frustrating when nobody real is knocking on your door. But it's not like you're going to be void of frustration if those fake profiles didn't pop up on the radar temporarily.

When I created my POF account, I had to do an email confirmation, btw. Dunno what it's like now tho.

In the end, girls you're attracted to aren't biting. That's your real frustration.
 NCsc85
Msg: 24
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/10/2018 11:10:23 AM
You're pathetic. I barely pay attention to the "meet me" feature. It was just incredibly annoying getting an email notification ever 20 minutes but I figured out how to stop that. I've been out of a relationship for about 2 months now and have gone one dates with 7 different women, and went on more then 1 date with 5 of those. The only thing stopping me from going on more dates is time. Looking at your profile I feel like you may have described your own situation, not mine. You know...only 1 pic from YEARS ago doing something to give the appearance that you're into fun things but no real substance? Yeah...it's ok, i'm sure you'll find someone someday.
 NCsc85
Msg: 25
view profile
History
POF = Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 2/10/2018 11:15:36 AM
Also...after a brief google search it seems as if POF not only allows all these fake profiles but that they're actually the ones behind them. POF creates these fake profiles to give people the illusion of much more activity then there actually is so that they can get the "real" profiles to pay for upgrades etc. It's quite a shame actually. But I guess it explains why POF ignores people that bring up this complaint.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > POF = Plenty of Fakes