Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Who Is Too Young or Too Old for You to Date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CBGB77
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Who Is Too Young or Too Old for You to Date?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I know there is a formula of "half your age plus 7" that some people point to when asked what is the socially-acceptable minimum age of anyone you want to date but I think that changes as you grow older,at least for men. My first wife was 20 and I was 35 when we were married and my second wife was 10 years younger than me but now I feel like it is inappropriate for me to try to contact woman that much younger than me. It seems like most of the woman who contact me first are my age or older. What do you think is the proper age range for my search parameters?
 spot4username
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Who Is Too Young or Too Old for You to Date?
Posted: 2/13/2018 7:56:51 AM

I know there is a formula of "half your age plus 7" that some people point to when asked what is the socially-acceptable minimum age of anyone you want to date

Honestly I would have no interest in a man that young. I prefer to date a man around +/- 7 years. Probably even less of a difference than that.

A person should date who they are comfortable with. For some age doesn't come into play but for others, like myself, there is definitely a comfort zone.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 8:06:20 AM
I'm wicked old so that +/-7 puts guys 73 in my range.
73 is 7 years from 80, which for most people is almost dead.
-7 years puts them in their 50's, which for most guys makes
me too old.

I'm in a weird position, and I don't mean that in a good way.

It's a good thing I'm wickedly cute, otherwise I'd need****ails
for lunch to blur my reality.
 CBGB77
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 8:08:46 AM

Posted By: spot4username on 2/13/2018 951 AM
Subject: Who Is Too Young or Too Old for You to Date?
I know there is a formula of "half your age plus 7" that some people point to when asked what is the socially-acceptable minimum age of anyone you want to date

Honestly I would have no interest in a man that young. I prefer to date a man around +/- 7 years. Probably even less of a difference than that.

A person should date who they are comfortable with. For some age doesn't come into play but for others, like myself, there is definitely a comfort zone.

Thanks for your reply. On other dating sites people post the minimum and maximum age for the people they wish to hear from but I don't see that on POF so I have to wing it when trying to figure out who to contact.
 CBGB77
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 8:11:15 AM

Posted: 2/13/2018 8:06:20 AM
me too old.

It's a good thing I'm wickedly cute, otherwise I'd need****ails

Lol
 Platinum_Blonde_Angel
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/13/2018 8:45:58 AM
^^^^^
WHAT HAPPENED TO FLU/SINUS INFECTION LADY???????!!!!!!
 ohenryx
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 8:54:34 AM

CBGB77
On other dating sites people post the minimum and maximum age for the people they wish to hear from but I don't see that on POF so I have to wing it when trying to figure out who to contact.

You’re either not looking very hard, or you’re using the phone app (which sucks).

You can specify an age range in your message preferences, and that will be enforced. Actually, whichever is more restrictive between your stated preferences for age and the site’s built in rules (+/- 14 years).

But if you’re going to participate here in the forums, I wouldn’t get too carried away with limiting who can message you. Instead, just state it in the body of your profile, in a nice way.

I prefer to date women close to my own age

Or

I would be most interested in meeting women from 55 to 68, within 25 miles of my zip code, 77021

browneyesboo
me too old.

It's a good thing I'm wickedly cute, otherwise I'd need cycktails

Some women that I have met look and act old when they are still in their 50’s. And I have met and dated women who are in their late 60’s and early 70’s who neither look nor act old. I’m sure there are women here who can say the same about men they have met.
As to whom you should approach, this becomes much easier in real life. If a woman dances with me, and smiles, and flirts, well then, I have a green light. Online, there’s not much way to tell unless she states it clearly in her profile.

And Boo, I would be very happy to share those cycktails for lunch with you, anytime!
 CBGB77
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 8:58:17 AM

Posted By: Platinum_Blonde_Angel on 2/13/2018 1058 AM
WHAT HAPPENED TO FLU/SINUS INFECTION LADY???????!!!!!!

I think she ghosted me,lol
 Platinum_Blonde_Angel
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/13/2018 9:04:11 AM
^^^ i THINK SHE "FLU THE COOP"

_Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 9:12:37 AM

Oh I imagine at your age you know a lot of weird and unusual positions ;)
 browneyesboo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 9:33:54 AM
^^^yes yes I do.

That's why I said "not in a good way."
I didn't want anyone to think I was posed
waiting for my romeo or shrek.

CBGB77
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 9:34:42 AM

Posted By: Platinum_Blonde_Angel on 2/13/2018 11:04:11 AM

yup
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 9:49:42 AM
Well OP I don't think we're to old or to young to date each other though I'm not sure how it would work out since neither of us is gay
 ohenryx
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 11:02:28 AM
Some days you just can’t win.

Back on January 17, almost a month ago, I got a reply on POF from a very nice looking woman. Short, but positive. I replied, same day, saying I was very interested in meeting her.

This morning, February 13, almost a month later, she replies, saying she would be willing to meet for a drink.

I reply, within the hour, telling her,

me
Yes, I would like that. How to make it happen?

You live in ____, and work where?

I'm going to be down at the Armadillo Palace on Kirby this evening. The Zoomers, a Meetup group that I belong to, is going.

{my email}
{my cell number}

Your friend,
Henry"

She replies:

her
"Thanks for the message, but I am not interested in hook up groups. Have a great day!"

I reply:

me
"Meetup is totally legitimate, and has nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with 'hookups'. I would be very happy to meet you, one on one, at a time and place that is mutually convenient. I am real, and I am interested in YOU"

Somedays it doesn't pay to get out of bed. Meetup is a "hook up group"? Why didn't anyone tell me? I've been doing it wrong all this time (4.5 years now)?
 CBGB77
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 12:07:24 PM
Haha,well you inspired me Henry,so I sent the woman formerly know as Flu Lady a "Happy Valentine Day" text.
 Like2dance
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 5:36:43 PM
Historically my LTR’s have been with women 10 to 20 years younger. Currently they are running 20 to 25 years younger.
 CBGB77
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 5:41:22 PM
5 minutes after I sent that text I realized ...D'oh! It's not Valentines Day Today!! Tomorrow is Valentines Day!!! I felt like such a jerk ...but about an hour later she texted back to thank me and wish me a happy V.Day too. I asked her again when she wanted to have dinner with me and she said she is out of town through Sunday but we can get together after that.
 CBGB77
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 6:56:47 PM
Ooh and I had another woman answer my message on POF. She is very pretty and shares many of my interests and more importantly...she owns a cat,lol. She is also age appropriate( only 6 years younger than me) and lives close by. Things are looking up!
 cooldog65
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2018 7:24:17 PM
Too young...Under 18.

Too old...Depends...
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2018 11:06:31 AM
Above: That was actually funny.

Anyway, about me. I've figured out what to do. My dilema is that I'm attracted to older men, but I don't want to be in a relationship and have the bloke die way before me. So I've decided to find an older man with a super healthy lifestyle, and I'll continue to live a mediocre one, thus evening out the life expectancy thing. Bam!
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2018 11:10:58 AM
^^^
Buy extra insurance just in case. Healthy lifestyle doesn't mean shit if he gets hit by a car. Bam!
 feirene
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2018 1:57:57 PM
i don't have a strict range exactly but hoping for someone no more than 5 years younger, and about the same older.
online i set my age ranges to younger than me usually because of people lying about their age and they always go younger, so i get like 60 yr old men messaging me pretending to be my age lol. wide age ranges put me off,they probably shouldn't but they give off the impression that someone isn't that fussy or is desperate even.
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2018 8:42:01 PM

What do you think is the proper age range for my search parameters?

Whatever YOU feel comfortable with.....
YMMV

*Personally - at that awkward age of 50, if I were to use the divide and add 7 number, I'd be seeking 'men' my daughter's age*.... uuuugh.... way tooooooo young for me....
if I were to go the upward range.... eeek, it was okay when I was past 34 and dating a fellow in his 50's.... but I couldn't go there now (never mind that my employment industry is aged care and I'd have 'implications' hanging over my head)

I have my PoF search parameters set to -6 years and +10... I am not yet ready to be a grandmother.... with my lad being only 13... so tend to I veer away from the grandfathers (I'm not ready to go through infants and 'babysitting').... but I'm also wary of the blokes my age who haven't had kids.... and probably don't want to be involved...
I recognise I have 'high settings' (for ages) and limiting my opportunities but yeah, I'm okay with that.

Disclaimer* my daughter's age if she had survived.
 CBGB77
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2018 6:24:56 AM

Posted By: TheEvolutionOfJessi on 2/14/2018 1001 PM
What do you think is the proper age range for my search parameters?

Whatever YOU feel comfortable with.....
YMMV

*Personally - at that awkward age of 50, if I were to use the divide and add 7 number, I'd be seeking 'men' my daughter's age*.... uuuugh.... way tooooooo young for me....
if I were to go the upward range.... eeek, it was okay when I was past 34 and dating a fellow in his 50's.... but I couldn't go there now (never mind that my employment industry is aged care and I'd have 'implications' hanging over my head)

I have my PoF search parameters set to -6 years and +10... I am not yet ready to be a grandmother.... with my lad being only 13... so tend to I veer away from the grandfathers (I'm not ready to go through infants and 'babysitting').... but I'm also wary of the blokes my age who haven't had kids.... and probably don't want to be involved...
I recognise I have 'high settings' (for ages) and limiting my opportunities but yeah, I'm okay with that.

Disclaimer* my daughter's age if she had survived.

Oh Jessi,so sorry for your loss.
 curvylady1965
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2018 4:31:35 PM
I'm very sorry Jessi. Just terrible.

Re: age, I have always preferred older. When all the other teenagers had Shawn Cassidy posters, I was drooling over Ricardo from Fantasy Island. The man I spent 30 years with was 17 years older. It was never awkward but I don't think that same age difference would have as much ease of success with someone twenty or twenty something these days. The rate/ pace of change is so accelerated now that I think a young person would almost always be more compatible with someone close to their age.
The thing with age at this stage of life is that there are so many variations. I find twenty is twenty and thirty is thirty and forty is often forty but fifty can be worn many, many, many ways. I find the variations persist. There are some in their seventies I find very attractive, yet there are some barely 50 who don't manage to wear it well.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Who Is Too Young or Too Old for You to Date?