Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Help !!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Vannili
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Help !!Page 1 of 1    
I love rice and beans. but my pinto beans taste bitter .I wash and soak the beans and boil put a slice of ginger , chopped onions and smoked turkey's neck. It doesn't come out good. I want to learn how Lousiana cook their beans it is so delicious. I thank you in advance.
 Nyeahsers
Msg: 2
Help !!
Posted: 3/17/2018 12:46:39 PM
As someone who loves ham and bean soup, this makes no sense to me. The only thing I could think is, how big is that slice of ginger? And maybe cooking the onions for a few before adding them to the mix.
 MsSkeezix
Msg: 3
Help !!
Posted: 3/17/2018 2:11:47 PM
Did you boil the beans in the soaking water or dump it and start fresh?
I seem to remember something about the soaking water being bitter. I could be wrong. I just buy mine in cans!
;-)
Also seem to remember something about a pinch of baking soda?
 Vannili
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Help !!
Posted: 3/17/2018 5:12:30 PM
Thank you ladies , I did not dump the water I put a slice of ginger ,chopped onions , smoke turkey's neck and salt. In the Philippines we eat dried mungbeans, make into soup with leafy vegetables it is okay, but we can only buy it in Asian grocery here in the U S. we don't have those dried nice pinto, red or navy beans so I am not familiar with it. I will try to put a pinch of baking soda next time .
 Nyeahsers
Msg: 5
Help !!
Posted: 3/17/2018 5:29:03 PM
I never heard of the water being bitter but I always dump twice to rid of gas.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 6
Help !!
Posted: 3/19/2018 3:10:15 PM
https://iheartrecipes.com/red-beans-and-rice-slow-cooker-easy/
 Belleatrix
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Help !!
Posted: 3/20/2018 3:27:38 PM
There's a methods to the madness.

If you are making it all from scratch, here's how it goes: to soak the beans overnight in cold water. Don't dump all of the water, just some. Use some of that water to cook the beans in tomato sauce (or paste if you prefer), sazon (seasoned salt), cilantro, smoked ham, and whatever else you want to put in. Stir every few mins and voila after about 20 mins.

You can skip some of the seasoning if you premake your own. There's something we call "sofrito", and that's a blend of garlic, green and red pepper, onions, the little peppers (non spicy), olive oil, and voila. Use the blender, it should come out green or red, depending on which pepper is your favorite. You can freeze it and use it every time you cook, it saves you having to purchase fresh ingredients. How you know you did it right?, it smells unbelievable the minute it hits the pot/pan/skillet.

I've never put ginger in beans, that doesn't sound like a good combination (and I love ginger).

If you buy it canned, you just skip the soaking.
 SingleInChurch
Msg: 8
Help !!
Posted: 8/22/2018 3:43:34 PM
Try putting a little salt in and see if that helps. Salt often takes the bitterness out of things. We use a pinch of salt in with the fresh coffee grounds before percolating, and it removes any bitter flavor. Good luck!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Help !!