Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What is a Hedonist personality type?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Karenn1978
Msg: 1
What is a Hedonist personality type?Page 1 of 1    
Can someone please explain what it means when someone describes their personality as a Hedonist on here on their profile?

So what exactly is a Hedonist? What are their actions and what makes them a Hedonist.

This person is my ex. I'm on a dating site and happened to notice he is also on it. He chose Hedonist as his personality type. He professes to looking for a Long term relationship. He isn't a drinker due to having to abstain due to being an alcoholic. He doesn't have a lot of friends and from what I know after being in a relationship with him for a year he wasn't the type to party hard or anything, he did however lie, keep secrets and was inconsiderate of my feelings when making decisions and would not consult with me or consider my feelings in regards to certain things.

Is being in a relationship with a Hedonist a bad thing or destined to fail?
Don't quite understand this Hedonism personality type and now I'm curious to know how they are different from the norm.
 VeeDub_EVO_III
Msg: 2
What is a Hedonist personality type?
Posted: 3/30/2018 4:38:43 PM
he·don·ist
ˈhēdənəst,ˈhedənəst/
noun
noun: hedonist; plural noun: hedonists

a person who believes that the pursuit of pleasure is the most important thing in life; a pleasure-seeker.

Sooo... basically your ex really likes guilty pleasures....
 Karenn1978
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/30/2018 4:44:10 PM
What type of guilty pleasures could you be referring to? I really want to understand this well.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2018 4:54:16 PM
A hedonist lives his life for himself and everyone else can go fuck themselves. Basically.

quit creating new threads about it, there's no point
 VeeDub_EVO_III
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/30/2018 5:16:20 PM

What type of guilty pleasures could you be referring to? I really want to understand this well

Well... you stated that he's a recovered alcoholic... substance abuse is a guilty pleasure. Sex addiction. Whatever turns his crank that not necessarily everybody would agree with. A hedonist basically just wants pleasure in life.

I'd think that your ex probably doesn't even know what the true definition is. He probably just randomly picked the title during POF's sign up process without really giving it 2 thoughts.

But in the end... why's it really matter? He's an ex. You've moved on to bigger better things. :)
 PennyAnte
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2018 7:34:13 AM
Do you not have Google? There are articles, videos, images. A lot of information out there to explain this to you. Try it, enter Google and use the search engine. Hedonist. Simple and probably more effective than asking forum users that are not hedonistic.

Here on Wikipedia is one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonism
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2018 9:33:11 AM

Hugh Hefner and the Playboy lifestyle.
 hemingway234
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2018 2:06:39 AM
It sounds like somebody is on the rebound.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2018 5:57:10 AM
It sounds like someone doesn't have a dictionary and is looking for attention.
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/9/2018 7:01:14 AM
sounds like someone is stalking their ex...

HE is ON to the next IST (IMO)

oops where is the "D"?
 whiterose0
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2018 11:56:38 AM
OP, you really should consider removing that child's photo from your profile if your intention isn't to involve her in any hedonistic ventures.
 calliopedreams
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2018 7:49:58 AM
OP, your profile describes you as
"Personality: Adventurer."

So, you have climbed Mt. Everest, correct?
No?

Then maybe you are misrepresenting yourself, OR
maybe you should google "self-described,"
Since that is all the Personality Type indicates - a self-description.
Meaning it is up to each individual to define as applied to him or herself.

Me ... I would interpret the term Hedonist as code for NSA Sex.

calliopedreams
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2018 7:59:19 AM
P.S.

You may also want to google OBSESSIVE personality type.

feirene
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2018 7:00:00 PM
I bet he's a swinger.
 ponyelvis82
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2018 11:30:22 PM
Hedonism has nothing to do with sex. It's a concept that somewhat falls under virtue ethics, but somewhat opposes it

Hedonism is derived from virtue ethics, which is where moral value is determined by "virtues." Basically explained by a positive result. Hedonism says that virtue has no intrinsic value, instead, the pursuit of happiness is what drives moral values. Basically, pleasure vs pain. And pleasure meaning positive emotional response and pain meaning negative emotional response.

Hedonism basically questions: What will make me happy? Is it better to diet and exercise every day so that you can live an extra 5 years or is it better to just relax, eat what you like, and just take life as it comes? THAT is what hedonism is.

It doesn't mean no strings sex. If a hedonist doesn't enjoy sex with random girls, or feels unfulfilled from it, then he's just not going to do it.

To give a great example, watch the movie The Big Lebowski (written by someone with a bachelor's degree in philosophy). The Dude is the textbook example of a hedonist.
 LoveOnAShip
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/13/2018 5:49:43 PM

Hedonism has nothing to do with sex

https://www.hedonism.com/what-is-hedonism/what-to-expect/

WHAT TO EXPECT
Wondering What to Expect When You Arrive at Hedonism II?

Expect a personal paradise where you can explore and enjoy all your hedonistic desires. A place that feels like a second home complete with a friendly, helpful staff that’s ready to assist you as you discover all the sensual pleasures Hedonism II has to offer.

Expect to See Naked People
Hedonism II is a lifestyle-friendly, clothing-optional beach resort where you can do pretty much what you want when you want. Our dining areas require clothing, but, if you want to take it all off on our beach or pool areas, go for it. If you prefer a little cover up, that’s absolutely fine, too.

At the end of the day, life’s too short to wait for pleasures. Get those deep kisses, amazing experiences and midnight swims, or hot, lustful encounters while you can. Memories of all of it will bring a twinkle to your eye and have everyone guessing about where you went on vacation.

Expect the Chance to Enjoy Our Playroom
Yes, the rumors are true. We have a playroom. It’s called the Romping Shop. It is an environment purely designed for pleasure and play, a place for you to experience your deepest desires in a decadent, exotic setting. Imagine soft lighting, white flowing drapery, soft fluffy pillows on beds surrounded by waterfalls – perfect for stargazing through the open rooftop. It’s an intimate atmosphere, sultry, sexy and beautiful.

Expect the Vacation of a Lifetime
There’s a reason our guests come back time, and time again. Our pressure-free, no-judgment, pleasure-seeking utopia is a little slice of heaven on earth where people from all over the world to come together with the simple desire to pursue pleasure and live life to the fullest. Between the chance to make amazing memories with new life-long friends and our unwavering commitment to first-class hospitality and superior 5-star service, you can be certain you have the vacation of a lifetime! Don’t take our word for it, see what our guests are saying about staying at Hedo.

Hedonism has nothing to do with sex
 SupermanATX
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/17/2018 11:28:49 AM
The male part goes into the female part. It's called biology.
 LovingLoner2
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2018 9:14:38 PM

A hedonist lives his life for himself and everyone else can go **** themselves. Basically.

A hedonist is basically an ***hole then.
 LovingLoner2
Msg: 19
view profile
History
I'm too lazy to Google or just a couple tools short in the tool shed
Posted: 8/31/2018 7:50:41 PM
Posted By: PennyAnte on 4 / 27 / 2018 8 : 13 AM

Do you not have Google? There are articles, videos, images. A lot of information out there to explain this to you. Try it, enter Google and use the search engine. Hedonist. Simple and probably more effective than asking forum users that are not hedonistic.

LOL
If you made it this far into POF, one must have heard of Google.
After all, how did you find POF ?
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What is a Hedonist personality type?