Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > "_____" Wants to Meet You!! Emails - fake users      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Starion
Msg: 1
view profile
History
"_____" Wants to Meet You!! Emails - fake usersPage 1 of 1    
Are you all getting these emails?...I get multiple per day.

Most are fake accounts, which I know because I copy/paste the exact user name into the username search and it comes up blank.

Sometimes I get a person who is 150 miles away or more =P and 1-2 in 10 are closer, but generally well outside of my search parameters.

I'm venting to make a point that POF allows for fake accounts and what is basically spamming my inbox as a result, or perhaps these fakes establish/mass match/ and are killed off in mere hours?

Is there a way to block only these types of "____ Wants to Meet You" emails while allowing if I get an email or a "Meet Me" match?

~ Best
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 2
_____ Wants to Meet You!! Emails - fake users
Posted: 4/4/2018 7:09:12 AM
Yes, set an email rule to send messages with "___ wants to meet you" direct to your trash folder.
 feirene
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2018 8:20:50 AM
Yes i get them too and ignore them, even asked in the defunct suggestions part of the site for this feature to be turned off if we want to do that.

It's the easiest and laziest way of approaching multiple people, so ideal for scammers and the desperate.
 VeeDub_EVO_III
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/27/2018 10:46:27 PM
Nice to know I'm not the only one. This is quite the widespread problem?

I get probably 10 meet me's per day. All of them are fake. I search their username on a PC and investigate. And they're almost always fake. I'm amazed I haven't been nailed by a scammer yet successfully, but thousands have tried...

It's probably some weird guy from South America/Russia/Nigeria creating hundreds of fake profiles attempting to retire early on the misfortune of others.
 Railrunner
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2018 2:42:41 PM
Usually get them within 10 minues of logging in. My bet's that they are created by the site to try to get people to pay for upgraded membership so they can see who allegedly wants to meet them. There ARE still ways to do a username search though...
 Dontgethookdonme
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/18/2018 7:36:29 AM
I wonder why POF only sends these two men? I've never received any such message in all my 8 years of being off and on the site. What? Only men are gullible? And not women? Maybe I'm unique. I am unique. Perhaps I should get to know me and not just make assumptions about someone.. I mean, come on..., give me a chance
 Dontgethookdonme
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/18/2018 7:51:30 AM
What I'm trying to say is that perhaps I should be offended that Plenty of Fish is stereotyping me by not sending spam to me. Do they assume that, since im a woman, im not gullible enough to fall for it? And of course, like you men, i'm not. However, POF doesn't know that. They assume im like all (non- gullible, I guess) women, which im not! So I should be offended that im not receiving their fake messages, eh?
 _Traveller
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2018 11:37:55 PM
It's not POF - it's that scammers largely tend to target men, who they correctly assume are more likely to be either lonely enough or gullible enough to be able to be conned into sending money.

Women get targeted by scammers too, but in different ways.

I get the same kinds of fake messages too, probably three a day or so. (shrug) I can't figure out any way to avoid them, so I just delete them.
 feirene
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2018 10:46:31 PM
I think they are fake, i've been looking at the guys who do meet me lately, because i'm bored and trying to analyse them. And they all say THEY DO NOT HAVE MEET ME...so who is sending these meet me things out then?
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/19/2018 12:49:11 AM
It's not possible to not have meet me. It's part of the website. There is no way to opt out of appearing on the meet me line-up. Anyone who writes "I don't have meet me" doesn't know what they are talking about.

It's quite likely that someone would write this in their profile and then randomly click on meet me to see what it's all about, and find it fun to click "maybe" for 10 minutes.
 feirene
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2018 8:16:18 AM
I used to click maybe until i realised maybe meant yes.
 ForumLurker
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/22/2018 3:59:18 AM
About a year or two ago they added the “Super Yes” button on the Meet Me. They should have also added a button labeled “Oh HELL no!!”.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > "_____" Wants to Meet You!! Emails - fake users