Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Progress?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KPOL52
Msg: 1
Progress?Page 1 of 1    
Through the miracle of modern technology, this message comes to you from 40 thousand feet courtesy of Jet Blue. As I type this I am enroute to Boston to watch my niece run in the Boston Marathon..

Ok, I tried from 40k. It kept telling me I was connected. Maybe Jet Blue has something against PoF.

It's s amazing how far we have come in so short a time. When I was little, growing up in Nashville, we had one channel on the tv. Remote controls were years away. One had to get up out of their seat to adjust the volume. Later when we got a second channel, you needed to adjust the rabbit ears each time you changed the channel but you were back at the tv anyway.

Today just 60ish years later, we have smart phones, the internet and hundreds of channels and thousands of movies at our disposal using nothing more than our fingers.

Some may remember or still have some 8 track tapes or players. Not a good stretch in time for portable music but it was a start.

Still there is something to be said for those simpler times.

People seldom needed to lock their homes or cars for one.

Surely there were other pluses from years ago?
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 2
Progress?
Posted: 4/15/2018 8:41:49 PM
My late godfather had a refridgerator magnet that declared:

THESE are the good ol' days.

Still, from 1945 until the mid 1970's, America's currency was linked to gold and it had few economic competitors. That led to some flush times as we waited for the Commies to nuke us away. There was room for a middle class. Now we are returning to the 1920's as far as wage gaps are concerned. We shared things as a nation--everyone watched Carson at night. Now we have choices for nighttime comedy, if you're even watching that (I just spent a rainy icy day catching West Wing on YouTube).

The interesting thing about the past is, we never knew how bad it was. The 1920's was an amazing time of invention--cars, planes, electricity in houses. We thought the world was our oyster. We thought telegraphs were amazing until we had phones. 20 mph in a Model T down a bumpy horse path was considered freedom.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 3
Progress?
Posted: 4/16/2018 3:50:36 PM
I grew up and was part of a large family(#8 of 10)
We were fairly poor and I thought it was great to be raised in that day and age.
I can remember carrying water from the well in buckets, no electricity, out houses and later we had party phone lines.
I went to a one room school with 3 classes in it. We got the strap when we misbehaved.
Walked a good half a mile to the bus stop.
I can remember our first record player and my mom bought 5 Hank Snow albums...lol
Later one of my older brothers...bought some Dave Clark Five etc....omg.

We had chores everyday and no allowance. When we got old enough...we worked at picking berries, beans or babysitting.
We learned good work ethics and manners.
Even though at the time....I hated the strictness and was the rebellious child.

I miss the old days but love the new technology of today.
I would be lost without my connection to social media.
I do think it's harder to raise children in this environment of today.
And my god...talk about a high maintenance society...nowadays.
With the nails, micro blading eyebrows, hair pieces, plastic surgery....you turn 16...you get a car.
imo.

Boston marathon...How great!
I have a niece that runs....
 from site to sight
Msg: 4
Progress?
Posted: 4/16/2018 7:39:12 PM

Later one of my older brothers...bought some Dave Clark Five etc....omg.

Did he tun into a Devil worshiper? That's what a lot of religious people, way back then, said would happen if kids started listening to that Devil's music called rock'n'roll. I wonder what the Devil thinks of rap music.
 cooldog65
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Progress?
Posted: 4/20/2018 10:50:36 AM
I love technology, but we've had too much too quickly. I only use what I feel is useful to me.

I have no social media, but I have used online shopping to build my music collection from all over the world.
 Jo van
Msg: 6
Progress?
Posted: 4/20/2018 12:02:59 PM
We "romanticise" the past quite a bit too...
During my lifetime (here, uk) homosexuality was a crime you'd be sent to prison for. (Along with all the other homosexual men. -they didnt really think that through, did they?)
Men still beat and/or raped their wives with impunity.
(A wife couldn't bring rape charges against her own husband until comratively recently, but I can't be arsed to look it up.
Policemen would walk away from spousal abuse, logging it as a "domestic dispute", and none of their business)
We still had "apartheid" colonies.
Cigarettes were sold as "good for you".
We had lead water pipes, and paint,
We had mercury fillings,
And everything was made out of the new wonder material: asbestos.

I was born in the last year of rationing, after WWII (1954)
The year penicillin first became widely available, it saved my life.
We didn't have to lock our doors, -because we had fvck-all worth stealing.
I can remember listening to the big, brown, 'bacolite' valve radio, before we had tv., or a car.
I still have that radio.
(It'll come in handy if there's ever an EMP event...)

I've worked in "IT", (or simply "electronics", as it was originally called,) since the late 70s.
Computers, since the "Z80".
I remember when Microsoft first got the contract from ibm, and later, when the "PC" became generic, and Gates got$100 from almost every computer on the planet.
-He's no "genius"
I remember that other self-declared "technology genius", Alan Sugar, choosing that exact moment to launch a "PC", - which could only be used as a dedicated word processor.

Had my first "mobile phone" in 1985, -it slid into a mounting bracket in the boot, and became a "car-phone",
but mine was the fancy model, that you could carry with you, it weighed about 30lbs and was the size of a car battery.

-There was a big, yellow warning label, which said don't put your head any closer than 12ins from the aerial, or you might get fried!
(The "cells". We're so far apart back then, that the phone transmitter needed to be quite powerful.)

When tv became popular, they said it would corrupt the young etc etc.
They probably said that when telephones first appeared too.
Or cars...

I like change.
We all have fond memories of earlier times we've lived through, but most change is for the better, IMO.
Have a nice weekend.
 from site to sight
Msg: 7
Progress?
Posted: 4/20/2018 4:23:04 PM

I can remember listening to the big, brown, 'bacolite' valve radio, before we had tv., or a car.

I remember the repairing of the old cabinet style TV or record player, by checking the glass vacuum tubes inside the wooden cabinet to see which one looked scorched, popping it out, going to a TV repair shop, buying another tube, and popping it back in. That saved money by not having to make a service call, and have a TV repairman come to the house to fix the TV. Unless it was the picture tube, most of the time, the repair was replacing a burnt out tube.

Back when I was a kid, cards with pictures of sports figures were worth the cost of pack of gum they came in-5 or 10 cents. Nobody thought that one day, some of these cards would be worth hundreds or thousands of dollars. We used the cards to play knock down with-have one card leaning upright against a wall, and see who can flip their card to knock it over. If any cards got scuffed up, go get more by buying a pack of gum.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Progress?
Posted: 4/20/2018 6:01:56 PM
Remember when people got excited over Color TV? Heck, I shoveled coal into our home furnace. And my dad stoking up that, at 3 AM, when it got cold. Mom, was a homemaker. She actually went to college for two years to become a better one. (Her Mrs. degree) At 75,000 miles, people started shopping around for a new car. Tires went flat-FAST, because they had tubes. Bicycles, if you had a racy one, had 3 speeds. Kids had paper routes. (I had one for six years) Refrigerators were all metal. ( And lasted 30-40 years, at least) Air conditioners hung out of windows. When you got a cut or scrape, Bactine was squirted on it, then you got a plastic bandade on it.
 five-marie
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Progress?
Posted: 4/20/2018 6:14:47 PM
"Tires went flat-FAST, because they had tubes. "
No more tubes? Bicycle or car?
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 10
Progress?
Posted: 4/21/2018 7:33:11 PM
yep, fully remember cars being all done by 75,000 miles, and every gas station had a repair garage attached, not a convenience store. Odometers didn't go past 99,999 miles, due to the motor oil of the time turning quickly to sludge, the thick piston rings that dug up the sides of the cylinder walls and the lack of overdrive making the engine due 4,000 RPM at highway speeds. appliances in the house were built strong b/c metal was cheap, but weren't efficient so they did last longer. The Bakolite radios were neat, but if they got hot...
 Llove2LaughToo
Msg: 11
Progress?
Posted: 4/21/2018 7:52:06 PM
In the late 50's my father opened his TV and radio repair shop; we had one of the first "color" TV's in our neighborhood. To make our black and white TV into color he attached a transparent color plastic sheet over the TV screen. lol

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/34/73/5b3473f3b5f5c22dbd1bf4485e1858c0.jpg
 ghostata
Msg: 12
Progress?
Posted: 4/21/2018 8:41:22 PM
I remember all the above...but more...my dad had a car phone in the 1960s..you contacted the mobile operator and you were connected. We had computers in my high school..and electronic calculators around 1970 or so. Same time Bill Gates was in high school. I Remember those corny filters advertised in comic books to turn a black and white television into color.
 justinelle
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Progress?
Posted: 5/2/2018 3:49:55 AM
I too love progress and the plastic choking the oceans, the pollution and desertification of larger land masses and watching the million of displaced people as the mites run from the bombs and shell made and sold to sustain western economies. I love reading about the extraordinary rise in species extinction rates, as progress is the engine that fuels out inevitable future. I love the preparations being made to use nukes to reduce the human population to a more sustainable level.

I love to see the million of refugees pouring into other countries all trying to save their pathetic skins, in the rush unlike lemmings for survival. I love the lies and propaganda where peoples races and nations are vilified to justify the introduction of sadistic medieval practices.

Its great to watch all the human created suffering while downing a few cans of beer as its always a laugh to see genuine tears, and maybe there is a opening in bottling and selling genuine tears.

I love driving my diesel car, knowing people are going to choke on the fumes and die from particulate injection, as I am only interested in myself just like everyone else and could not give a dam about people I do not know or will never meet.

More recently I have enjoyed the videos of the snipers shooting thousands of Palestinians, and blowing the brains of children running away. The way those fragmentation munitions turn a leg, or back ito minced meat is truly fascinating, and its so funny to know that most of these morons will have amputations thus creating thousands of invalids hopping about unable to do much in life.

TV in HD today is a wonder to watch...pass the sick bag,...I need another beer!!
 ghostata
Msg: 14
Progress?
Posted: 5/2/2018 6:35:48 AM
You are mentally ill justinelli, the real deal...and a stupid douchebag too.
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 15
Progress?
Posted: 5/2/2018 9:24:08 AM

When I was little, growing up in Nashville

Surely there were other pluses from years ago?

The Long Hollow Jamboree is still there on Gallatin Pike on Saturday Nights w/ a meat & 2 for $5-6

My husband grew up in Lawrenceburg, then the family moved to Nashville, I would not be surprised if you had mutual acquaintances.

First he went to Lawrence County High, then to Antioch H.S. (it was diff back then I am sure, ugh poor Waffle House & the innocent people who were killed)
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Progress?
Posted: 5/2/2018 10:42:05 AM
I remember the dawning of the UNIVAC computer. Took up an entire building. Special A/C, Special Static proof mats all over the place. An army of card punchers to feed in the data. -- 64K total was entire capacity!!!!

I also remember the arrival of the worlds first calculator. Before then it was the good ol' adding machine. Just pull the handle 100 times to multiply.

Then came the FIRST pocket calculator -- $50 dollars (or $250 adjusted for todays' inflation. Whichever.
BTW where DID that pocket calculator ever go?

Oh, yeah, both the UNIVAC and calculator are now in my cell phone. (I guess the emojis that live in my phone are card punching). My TV is in there too. With my 1T SD card I have enough gigs left for a "super computer".

What happened to my friendly Main Frame Administrator? Oh yeah. That's ME now. Lol.
 justinelle
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Progress?
Posted: 5/2/2018 12:41:17 PM
Only 4.2 million deaths every year are a result of exposure to air pollution, so keep on buying and consuming.
So some activities that you are helping the death rateude:

Fuel combustion from motor vehicles
Heat and power generation including your boiler
Where some work as in Industrial facilities such as manufacturing factories, mines, and oil refineries
Your rubbish sent to waste incineration/burning
Residential cooking, heating, and lighting with polluting fuels. Around 3 billion people cook and heat their homes using polluting fuels (i.e. wood, coal, dung, kerosene) so go camping and help the polution, as it is helping to control population growth a bit.

So let us congratualte ourselves on progress and look forward to the future, and pretend its not happening, and talk about how wonderful it was i the past with segrigation, lynchings and lots more fun. Remember the napam in Vetnam didn't the children fry well. Its so good to pretend things were great back then. And not forgetting the wonders of agent orange and how it helped defornm thousands of children Our going away present!!

Coming up behind are 3.8 million deaths every year as a result of household exposure to smoke from dirty cookstoves and fuels

Are you one of these 91% of the world’s population lives in places where air quality exceeds WHO guideline limits, so YOU coulHuman activities that are major sources of outdoor air pollution, include:
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Progress?