Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Organising a Pof event - an eye opener      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Organising a Pof event - an eye openerPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Anyone who has done this knows how stupid people can be. I have just sent out an email which has right at the top an apology about me not having control of where the emails go to, how far away the recipient. Within the email is a link to the event. The subject is a "Grand Singles picnic"

I find it quite depressing just how dumb people are and how the heck do we defend giving them the vote?

For those who haven't organised one of these things, here are a few fun replies.

"They have messed up, I’m a straight man."

"Legend"

"When is this will pass on to my mother"

"Let me bum you"

"Are you 64?" and "Nice to meet you"

"Nice to talk XX"

"Wtf"

"Hey there :)"

"Hello there how are you"

"Are there any events happening in Leicestershire?"

"Justin you are cute" (from a bloke)

I've spent an hour so far answering replies and still have 130 to go.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Organising a Pof event - an eye opener
Posted: 4/28/2018 5:10:24 AM
That's three hours of my life I'm not going to get back. I did copy some more bizarre replies but pof has lost them and I just don't have the time.

Got a few invites too.
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2018 7:10:04 AM
Hey there Chappy,

As you can imagine I do totally and genuinely know where your coming from and its both a real shame but also quite shocking just how not so intelligent and how very rude some of the people are on here..

I`ve tried several different ways to word the mass event invite over the last month or two but all that comes back is the same lack of intelligence replies..

I have spend many hours doing my best to be polite and professional in explaining why these people got the invite...sometimes it works but sometimes all it does is fuel the fire...

Trick is not to let them get you down and above all don't be defeated..

Onwards and Upwards :-)
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/28/2018 7:33:21 AM
What's really worrying is:

These people have the vote

These people usually drive

These people are on here looking for partners
(or should that be carers?)

I run a shop - some of the mental dross that we
encounter on a daily basis is simply unreal...........

billybonds
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/28/2018 12:28:01 PM
This thread is high comedy gents, keep it up.

https://youtu.be/CS9OO0S5w2k
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2018 1:24:51 PM
We aim to please young Billy...
 1975smiler
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2018 7:46:05 PM
I get a lot of people messaging expecting singles nights to be swingers nights, also turning up on the night thinking the same, I also get a lot of ladies saying they’re not lesbians and guys asking me to partake in threesomes with their girlfriends - good job we have patience and a sense of humour lol xxxxx
 Squareslice
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/29/2018 12:09:47 PM
I'm doing a course... security (yes, they may let me get badged)... and some o the crap I've seen in clips make me ponder.
Knew already I was basically an unqualified social worker, but it seems more n more like care in the community.
When you see allegedly educated people approaching ye in a wobbly way, ye just know things are about to ruin yer day.
Had a dude collapse at my feet at 6am one morn begging for help.... when asked "What have you taken?" This guy in his 30s n well spoken said "I don't know... it was supposed to be speed" Not a daft wean, but def half of that.

Events... eff them....

So, have ye stocked up on lube for your knew anal allies? Mind, poppers are still legal... to help ease things along...
 donnylass411
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2018 8:08:52 PM
Ha!! Tell me about it ! Lol.
Most will know I ran the Doncaster night till recently...and for all the reasons you've stated..iv hung up my badge. 300 plus emails every month only 20% maybe to do with singles night..same as you all....
How much do I charge for a ermmm ? On nite
Do I do this coz I'm so old and fat I can't get a bloke any other way ?
When is it ?... Err read the email
Will I be only woman there ?
Biggest thing that used to get to me ?.... Being asked 100 plus times each month how many women will be attending.. How the heck do I know ? And ?...does it matter ?... If there were 100 women there they would still have to be attracted to you..grrr
For these reasons and many more I thought after a year enough is enough lol..pleased to hear you men get it too though :).... Its a bit of a thankless task isn't it?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2018 2:11:59 AM
More:

Sorry mate not in to men😬 1 slightly pissed off spread from brum (uk) that was from username Bellfield - hmmm he misspelt that

Sorry what this all about - from Robbie the student hairdresser

"Hi, lovely man. Wish you the best. But not with me. Sorry" to which I didn't respond so I got "Best wishes in your search" a day later. Why two emails. Anyway. I have asked her if I am too young for her? Jut for fun.

OTH - i have had a few nice ones like this "Yes I would like to attend and help in any way i can. Thanks"

"Hehe no he hairy biker type lol. We both ex army he signals me infantry n both looking for a special one . Will bring meat n drink for bbq n any help ya need we will do whatever ."
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2018 4:58:54 AM
How do you reckon I should reply to this one?

"Do u wanna wank together on cam" another one from Leicester which seems to breed them.

Justanotherchap
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 2:32:15 AM
I did get a "I'm coming with 2 mates" this morning from a female. The event notice quite clearly states it is a picnic so

"What are these parties like"

"What age group"

"Stay of my chat"

"Four please" - is that 4 tickets or what? I've asked

"how are you. Bob"

"hi ya " "hi ya" "you ok"

It's all fun in Pof world.
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2018 2:49:01 AM
Well I`m still getting the odd one or two replies to my event invite and they have all been questions asking why don't I run one in certain towns or cities to which I politely reply that if they care to look at the bottom of their inbox on here when they log in they will actually find the latest up to date list of up coming events here in the UK.

Anyway I`m now to some extent looking forward to running the Wakefield night out tomorrow...
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2018 3:56:42 AM
Maybe we should start running (and charging) for them? I've had loads of people wanting an event in Coventry, eslewhere too but Coventry comes up a lot. In second place is Cardiff and Brecon. I know someone who runs a singles things on Meetup down in Bristol. They are simple get togethers in a bar / disco / winebar, she chrges £3 to £4 per peson and oftn gets a hundred or so people!
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2018 4:16:59 AM
Hey up young Chappy..

I`d often thought about going along the charge to enter line but then its been known in the past to be a very slippery slope to handle. There have been boat loads of previous organisers who have charged and just gained financially and now they are members of the lifetime ban club.

A good example of the not to charge scenario was my event last night which was the worst one I`ve ever had to organise and went down as well as the maiden voyage of the Titanic, I told folk that its a free to enter event hence it not been such a classy venue and they replied with they would have forced me to give a refund due to their un happiness with the whole evening...
 Hotbeaching
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/5/2018 5:29:30 AM
Chap, if you do hold an event in Coventry I’ll help if you like.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mosely+avenue,+venue&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:7208278853598658166,rc_q:Rialto%2520Reborn,ru_q:Rialto%2520Reborn
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2018 7:26:32 AM
I probably would if there was something in it for me but I do enough for free tbh. OK, I do get enjoyment out of most of it but there is often a lot of stress there too, especially in the Meetup side of things. The problem I think today, reference your post Brian, is that people expect so much for free and the internet doesn't help. Especially over on meetup, it is easy to stick your name down for something and then either cancel at the last minute or just not turn up.

We've got a guy, Brian, who always knows how we could have done it better. Last whinge from him was that the band didn't play enough dancey music in the first set. You just can't please everyone. we used to organise a monthly meet in our local Hotel du Vin. Numbers dropped off for some reason and people complained about the price - fair enough it could cot £12 for a large white wine. But they didn't have to drink the expensive stuff. Eventually after 4 years I moved it to a classy but cheaper place. People complianed that they prefereed the original so I moved it back and they didn't come. After 4 or 5 years I gave up.

As for your event Brian, what do people expect for free? It was a simple event to get singles together wasn't it? When we do those we have meeters and greeters to help the shy and move people around. Not sure what else you can do without charging.
 Hotbeaching
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/5/2018 8:15:27 AM
Well in my opinion anyone who complains has a serious problem. If they can’t go out and enjoy themselves without whinging and expecting the host to be in charge of their happiness ....
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/5/2018 11:13:13 AM
I ran entertainment events for years - I very quickly learnt
to do it my way, & fvck other peoples opinions -
they weren't paying the bills.........

Justanotherchap
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2018 2:36:10 AM
I keep giving out that advice to other organisers Bunny but they don't listen. I got a compliment on Sunday. We were sitting around in the sun down near the river at one of the most glorious pub spots in Gloucestershire. An organiser of a different group and a member of mine said she had total faith in me as she knew she could rely on me sorting out problems with other members. Nice to hear though having done this for so many years now I simply adopt a zero tolerance approach. Step over the line and you're gone. Works for me.

Today's bonkers reply to my invitation to a singles picnic

"Hello! I need to close my account on this site! How can I do that? Thank you!"
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2018 4:13:54 AM
I`m amazed at how many still rude replies I`m getting from my May event mass invite even though its almost a week passed...Odd too how its 98% the blokes who throw the abuse and not the women, they either just delete it or actually ask a question..

I`m not sure this time if I`m going to bother with the mass event invite and just let my advert run at the bottom of the inbox...
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2018 4:56:58 AM
I've only had one abusive post from a female which was about how far she is from this event. Eventually I did get her to understand that we have no control where the invite goes. I don't understand why blokes feel the need to bother replying, if they aren't interested why don't they just delete the invitation?
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2018 12:12:38 PM
Hey up Chappy,

I actually took time in my last event invite to let folk know that if they simply had no interest in this or any other type of event then just delete the invite and no need to bother with a reply.....And did they read and take heed....No..

I`m constantly spending hours upon hours trying to figure out a way to word the invite to make it easier for the POF folk to understand....
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/11/2018 1:34:13 PM
What you are both finding out is why Marcus decided
to put the 14+/- age limit on - most of the females just
continually screamed about old geezers (did they mean me?)
mailing them, when the mail preferences were hidden & selectable in plain sight -
cunning that.......no, you couldn't make it up.

acrosstheplains
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/12/2018 1:21:41 PM
You could answer the perennial question on almost every woman's lips. "I don't have 'meet me' so message me"
I gave up trying to help these confused.com who seemed almost indignant that they were getting all these messages from pof that x y z want to meet them.
You could make the emails a general information newsletter covering everything from not needing a voting card to go vote, to er, not needing a brain to vote
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Organising a Pof event - an eye opener