Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can I keep my Girl Friend if I have a Girlfriend?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CBGB77
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Can I keep my Girl Friend if I have a Girlfriend?Page 1 of 1    
So for the past 2 1/2 years my closest friend has been I girl that I first met on Ok****d. We dated for a while but it never went beyond a couple of goodnight kisses. After that we just became friends and hung out a couple times a week. More recently she got a boyfriend and I met my girlfriend. Her boyfriend doesn't mind us hanging out but I haven't really talked about her with my girlfriend yet because we just started going together. Is is weird to have friends of the opposite sex if you are in a committed relationship? My girl friend suggested that we could maybe get our sweeties together and I said "yes,a double date". Not sure yet what my girlfriend or her boyfriend will think of the idea.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 2
Can I keep my female Friend if I have a Girlfriend?
Posted: 5/3/2018 7:34:59 AM
it can be as weird as the other person makes it...but personally I believe the truth sets one free. beats having to sneak around the subject and hope you don't mess up and mention a female name you haven't mentioned before. also, your gf is new (you may wish to use the term "Female friend" to keep 'em all separate) and getting to know you, so there's possibly a "Work husband" or other close friend you haven't met yet.
 CBGB77
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2018 7:57:18 AM

Posted By: MachIMustangII on 5/3/2018 959 AM
Subject: Can I keep my female Friend if I have a Girlfriend?
Posted: 5/3/2018 759 AM
it can be as weird as the other person makes it...but personally I believe the truth sets one free. beats having to sneak around the subject and hope you don't mess up and mention a female name you haven't mentioned before. also, your gf is new (you may wish to use the term "Female friend" to keep 'em all separate) and getting to know you, so there's possibly a "Work husband" or other close friend you haven't met yet.

Ok thanks MachIMustangII,that's good advice!
 hemingway234
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/3/2018 8:18:07 AM
Yes, it's normal to have friends, lol! You go on group dates.
 julystorm7
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/3/2018 4:39:28 PM
You never slept together so I think it would be fine. But double dates or get-togethers as couples would be better than hanging out together on your own. Trust has nothing to do with anything.
 MsMicki
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2018 7:20:21 PM
Honesty is always the best policy!!
Tell her you have a close female friend that you would like for her to meet... you can even tell her you two went on a few dates but decided you weren't a good romantic match but valued each others friendship.
I would respect the truth....and I have a feeling she will too.
 five-marie
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2018 9:06:29 AM
MsMicki's right, honesty is the best policy. I dated a couple of men who had female friends, didn't have a problem with it until I found out down the road(from others) they had been more than friends at one point. That would have been fine too if they hadn't lied about it. If you're open and honest about it she'll see it's nothing to worry about.
 CBGB77
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2018 12:58:18 PM
Thanks guys(er..gals) That's good advice,I totally agree.
 from site to sight
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/4/2018 3:56:03 PM
If the other person is still good friends with an ex, that could be a problem.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Can I keep my Girl Friend if I have a Girlfriend?
Posted: 5/4/2018 6:28:20 PM
It's not weird at all to have opposite sex friends. I would tell her. People accept things they're told with honesty. I just hope this ex won't sabotage you by saying something on the double date to upset the new person. If you feel you can trust the ex, go for it if your new lady doesn't mind.
 cooldog65
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Can I keep my female friend if I have a Girlfriend?
Posted: 5/4/2018 7:18:13 PM
My policy has always been to naturally back away if a female friend got into relationship out of respect. I would not hang out with them at this point. I have strong strict boundaries and I expect the same in return.

But double dates or get-togethers as couples would be better than hanging out together on your own.

Great idea since you're both coupled now.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can I keep my Girl Friend if I have a Girlfriend?