Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Supermarket etiquette      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquettePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I forgot to do the VAT and it is due in today or a nice big fine. Hopefully you're all enjoying the sunshine though I gues afew of you might be working. How's sunny Torquay Bunny?

Anyway - etiquette in the supermarket. There are loads of things which I find amusing or annoying depending on my mood. One of them is the famed British? English? reputation for queuing. This might only apply to Aldi where they suposedly keep costs down by using the checkouts staff to fill the shelves too. When the queues get too big at the checkout they open another lane and announce it via the tannoy. atthat point one would expect everyone to let the person who has been queuing the longest take the first space. But no, it is dog eat dog, with the fleetest of foot winning the race. So much for British good manners.
 hey_suze
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/7/2018 2:17:25 AM
This is true, they do call that on the tannoy , but in Aldi, the checkout person isnt actually sat down yet...
So, the quickest sprinter is smiling at the front of the queue, for now, tapping thier toes, trying hard not to get annoyed as the queue they were in gets smaller...karma is a **** 🤣
 feirene
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/7/2018 3:45:16 AM
I usually stayed in the queue i was already in because the first one to the other till always seems to be feeble and take ages or have a massive amount of items in their trolley.

Ordering the food shop from home is way better, been doing that instead for a few years now.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/7/2018 3:51:33 AM
Gosh - I've got more to look out for now!

I've done the VAT and paid it so just coming up to 12, I can relax now and go home via Aldi!

My life is so damned interesting............I'll let you know how the bread rolls are today
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 5
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/7/2018 3:52:23 AM
Cheers Chappie - Torbay is amazing, from what I can see
standing at the counter :)
Supermarkets - what is it with morons who tie up a whole
self-service till with enough shopping to feed a Scout group?
(sigh)

_Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/7/2018 3:56:39 AM
We also queue in Canada which is probably one of the reasons we're referred to as polite Americans. Well sometimes we're polite. It was 730 am and only one checkout open at Walmart. I go to the till and the person in front has a full cart so it's going to be a long wait. Up walk two managers, easily identified by their gold vests, who stop about 30 feet away and start talking and laughing. Obviously not busy and obviously oblivious to customer service. I look behind me and there's four more people waiting each with just a few items. That's when my shyness kicked in and I yelled loudly, "Can you open another till?" Out of the store in two minutes.

As for etiquette, I always try to keep my eyes at eye level so as to avoid staring at a woman's melons no matter how ripe they may appear.
 Hotbeaching
Msg: 7
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/7/2018 10:19:46 AM
Aldi pay their assistants very well, I like Aldi, I have one five minutes walk away therefore I often walk over, pick up what I need in a box, if there are a couple of long queues I always ask them to open another till which they are happy to do. Imagine the chaos if everyone was ....after you....no after youoooo, I’m sure this was comedy sketch.
So karma is only a bitch if you are, he he, I go right to the front ;-)
 Jacknher
Msg: 8
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/7/2018 10:54:27 AM
In our local Tesco there is usually a staff member hovering near the checkouts to keep an eye on things. If another till is about to open she will pick someone out of a nearby queue and suggest you might like to come with her as they are opening another till.....then lead you over the just as the cashier steps up to log in.

One thing I do like about our Tesco is that although the car park gets really busy.....particularly on a Friday evening and a Saturday or holidays.....the locals seem to mostly (except for the occasional rude git) take turns as everyone funnels towards the main exit.
Ie. There can be a queue of 20 cars on the main run out of the car park and almost everyone lets a car from one of the side lanes cut in, then goes themselves, then the car behind them lets someone cut in, then then they go themselves. Quite often I have let at least 3 or 4 cars cut in front of me before I am out of there......but 3 or 4 cars will have let me cut in front of them too.

My nephew from Oz was gobsmacked He said no way that would have happened in Brisbane....there'd have been horns blaring and people swearing and major road rage.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/8/2018 3:00:40 AM
Doesn't work like that in our Aldi Hotb although most people are polite in the car park jsut like in jack's civilised part of the country.

I thought there'd be more observations but maybe it's just me? Have you noticed that when you are in the queue, peoplw behind you often won't unload until you've put that little aluminium sign behind your stuff? Try it - delay for a few seconds. That sometimes gets a response of people behind pushing through to grab one of those signs. It's hardly as though I'm going to pay for the next persons trolleyload? Just weird.

Next up - stalking the prey!
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 10
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/8/2018 8:43:06 AM
So it's a while ago but
I was in Sainsburys with a fair amount of shopping
& the till bunny was trying for the world speed record.
I had asked her to pace it, but obviously I'm just another
pain in the arse to spoil her chat with the girl on the next till.
So I stop.
It takes her about a minute before she realises that something
has gone very wrong (the mound of static food helped).
She looked at me with that 'does not compute' stupid look......
I (politely) explained that I wasn't going to pack anything
thrown through the till at that speed.
Common sense eventually won the day, and the fact that I was
totally up for leaving the lot there. (I know they have till targets,
but please don't take it out on me!)

changemydestiny
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 5/16/2018 2:25:33 AM
I like the Tesco zapper, collect and pack your goods as you stroll round the supermarket. All your products neatly placed in shopping bags. Point your zapper at a barcoded till and watch your bill being produced in seconds. Pay and off to the car. No queuing , no frantically watching your food products getting squashed on route to the bagging area. Maybe I’ll meet a guy on here who will perform this weekly task for me? Isnt it just fab to have a sense of humour.
 Hotbeaching
Msg: 12
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 6/26/2018 10:19:36 AM
I’ve not noticed that problem in Sainsbury’s Bunny, more like Aldi’s the checkouts are under orders to rush people through. I have it down to a fine art, I’m never rushed, don’t like people packing my stuff for me, especially the scouts offering to do it especially after witnessing a lad doing a massive sneeze into his hands....stray of my ocd I think ugh
 NewYorker58
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 6/30/2018 1:13:14 AM
In my stores, when they open a new register, that person goes up to the next person in line that hasn't placed their groceries on the conveyer belt yet, and asks them to come over.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 6/30/2018 5:08:03 AM
Here too sometimes but the pressure is on the staff all the time. I use Aldi a lot. They pay the staff well but unlike other supermarkets who use older people, to get a job there you need to be superfit as you'll be working for the full time you are there.
 cooldog65
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 7/2/2018 1:54:11 AM

In my stores, when they open a new register, that person goes up to the next person in line that hasn't placed their groceries on the conveyer belt yet, and asks them to come over.

I've experienced exact the same thing. Since I shop in the morning after I have finished working, I'll let people in front of me who have less items and they may be on their way to work.
 rekirked
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 7/2/2018 1:58:49 AM
If you want to swim in the pit of human behaviour try shopping in Waitrose when the yellow sticker machine comes out, especially if it's pension day.
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 17
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/9/2018 3:31:12 PM
Aldi are much much better than Lidl in that respect, at least the Lidl in my home town

Its always busy and they very often only have one till open.
 Lorri55
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/18/2018 5:00:38 AM
Do you ever find yourself looking into another customer's basket or trolley and trying to work out their life story... Or is it just me and my vivid imagination ??
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/18/2018 5:04:54 AM
all the time otherwise queues are so boring. If someone has a cauliflower I ask them if they have ever eaten it raw which at least 50% of the British public haven't.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 Lorri55
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/18/2018 6:34:04 AM
I am one of the 50 %...don't like raw veggies, prefer them to be cooked al dente
Coleslaw is allowed though :-) ....as long as it isn't too short like this post !
 NewYorker58
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/18/2018 8:46:10 AM
I like looking in carts. People that are immigrants, like Mexican, they tend to have a lot good food like produce, and not processed food. Americans can have a lot of processed foods, junk food. Men tend to have easy to prepare boxed foods and frozen dinners and beer.

Some veggies are better raw to get vitamins from them, and some should be cooked, sauteed or steamed.
 10ky
Msg: 22
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/18/2018 9:18:25 AM
I always buy the same stuff. A dozen frozen pizzas, plenty of mozzarella and anchovies (to top em up), beer, some fizzy drink, bread. Loo paper and toiletries occasionally. Fags by the carton. Pet food and treats for H (H1N1; my chihuahua). That's pretty much it.
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 23
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/18/2018 9:25:31 AM
You've got a dug.

Lolz. You can't even look after yourself.

Poor soul stuck with you.
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 24
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/25/2018 3:32:02 PM
My local lidl the other night didn't take 30 per cent off as per, I got some random shopping for 20p and 70p per item.

(mostly stuff like kale and salad for my mums animals, but some pizza and hummus as well plus more)

I actually only went in for cat stick (called chewy stick in my house) and guess what I forgot?

I quite like lidls specials, around once a year they always do a limited edition greek range, they do vine leaves and pasta sauces, they have it in just now as it happens

Oddly enough my wee cat zeus loves lidl chewy stick but won't touch the aldi one

One thing lidl don't seem to be doing anymore at least not in my shop are high protein rolls which is a shame as they were great

Yeah, just googled, they have discontinued them, no idea why, they were brilliant.

There are other supermarkets who do high protein bread but nowhere near as nice as these were.

They do a low GI cob which is also v nice, but not as good as the rolls were.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 25
Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/25/2018 4:56:31 PM
I remember watching a study Pauline where they tested out protein on 3 different level 82g, 167, and 220g and there was no point to taking anything over the 82g. If I remember correctly Dr Eric Berg on youtube stated anything over 6 to 7 oz a meal gets metabolised as sugars as the body can't handle to much of it.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Supermarket etiquette