Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Spacebook to open dating pages later this year      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hemingway234
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Spacebook to open dating pages later this yearPage 1 of 1    
Spacebook (Facebook) is launching a dating platform later this year.... people will be able to have a separate dating page, just like you can have separate personal pages, business pages, and group pages at this time. They claim the pages will not be linked to your personal page, and only first names will be used.

A spokesperson from Tinder/Match said they are not worried.... they claim most people want to keep their Spacebook accounts separate from dating.

One thing they should do is make it a swipe site like Tinder, but with more comprehensive profiles like POF and Match - that could be the best of both worlds - one of dating's biggest problems is women getting unsolicited messages from men. Yet, Tinder profiles are too sparse.

What do you think? Will it succeed? I have a love/hate relationship with Spacebook, but even I use it. It could become the biggest dating site ever - more people are already on Spacebook than just about any other platform, and people play where they are.

This could be a historic change not just for online dating, but for dating as a whole. What if in a few years, Spacebook can claim that most marriages came from their site?
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Spacebook to open dating pages later this year
Posted: 5/14/2018 12:24:47 PM
I'm not a member so getting no dates there will be a lot easier.
 blackbeauty744
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2018 1:42:34 PM
Some already use FB for dating but I see your point. I have a Fakebook and will continue to utilize Plenty of Fish because of all of the awesome forum users!
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/14/2018 3:29:38 PM
I don't think it will go very far. I think facebook is too late on that market, they could have thought of that maybe 5 years ago. Also, many people use facebook groups, which some have found to be a successful way to encounter other potentially eligible matches. I think facebook may already be able to stake that claim regarding marriage, but not due to the dating aspect of it. There's a group that I'm in with over 60k members and there have been about 3 weddings and several relationships.
 BretIAm
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/14/2018 4:36:29 PM
I don't think it will catch on due to privacy concerns relating to perceived proximity.

I think people use Facebook for friends, family, business, and networking. They use dating apps for, well, dating and finding relationships, and never the two (Facebook & dating apps) shall meet.

Of course this is just perception. How hard is it to find someone on Facebook if you see him/her on a dating site? Not very. But it may be (too?) difficult for people to accept the idea of using Facebook for dating.

Wait and see I guess ...
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/14/2018 5:27:01 PM
unless they are doing it to bring back customers, there will probably be a need to make money at it. The good news is, you can show interests, which reveals personality...to those who care, of course :) I would like to think that for mature daters, being able to watch videos of the person, can tell you if you like their voice, or how they act in situations (are they a nerd, suave, etc).

I think it will capture those who are on FB. Those who have left, may not come back just to get laid. They may find Tinder is doing a fine job.
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/15/2018 1:03:00 AM

I don't think it will catch on due to privacy concerns relating to perceived proximity.

I think people use Facebook for friends, family, business, and networking. They use dating apps for, well, dating and finding relationships, and never the two (Facebook & dating apps) shall meet.

Basically what he stated. Even if they say that it'll be separate from the main profile, I personally wouldn't do it because that is just way too close for comfort. I use Facebook to mingle in groups and to keep up with people that I know/am interested in. It's not something that I'd use to find a date. Hell, if I'm being honest-I don't even use this website to find dates.
 wadeinwaves
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/15/2018 8:33:45 AM
At first glance I thought Spacebook as related to outer space and then I read on. What I've noticed with multiple dating sites is the same people are on them with he same profiles and the flipside is they too are also seeing me. This will be no different. I used to think if I used different dating platforms that my odds of finding someone would increase. It didn't.

I haven't met anyone off of POF in almost a year. People either flake, or I flake, or I realization that the distance between us is too much or I find out the person has four kids.

Everyone says its easier irl. I put this to the test this past weekend as I was grieving the loss of a loved one and felt void and have no support around me to help in the grieving process. The family who lost their loved one (who I share their loss with) have each other. I took it upon myself to go to a bar by myself to be around other people and connect with them. In the first five minutes of sitting down an attractive man approached me and talked with me. After that I saw this other attractive tall black man who I fancied and I talked with him for the remainder of my stay. I went back on Sunday as in the day time it is a bar/restaurant and I met another man.

I find it interesting how I can't meet three men in one year on POF but in a period of two days I can meet three who I find attractive. Of course the one had a recent break up so is not a good candidate. The other is waiting to bring his family over to Canada. The other has been divorced for some time now and is available. So just like on POF there will be good candidates and not so good ones. Now that I know going to a bar can bring any woman luck in meeting men I will pursue this venue.

About Spacebook or other online dating platforms? Nah, I'm sticking to real life.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2018 10:39:51 AM

Now that I know going to a bar can bring any woman luck in meeting men I will pursue this venue.

And you are just discovering this now???

Were you raised by wolves in the forest?

The oldest pub (short for public house) in England claims to date from the time of the Crusades (1100's)

People have been meeting in pubs (also known as "bars") for hundreds of years already.

Some of those people also drink too much.

And some are even (gasp) alcoholics.

Should be an interesting pursuit for a novice.

Just one more concept for "Spacebook" to excel at without drama.

Not.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2018 10:53:38 AM
^^^I wonder if dating exploits will automatically show up on your facebook?
That would save a lot of time reposting.
 from site to sight
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/15/2018 2:42:17 PM
Face who? If I don't need it, I don't have it.
 wadeinwaves
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/15/2018 7:20:53 PM
"And you are just discovering this now???

Were you raised by wolves in the forest?

The oldest pub (short for public house) in England claims to date from the time of the Crusades (1100's)

People have been meeting in pubs (also known as "bars") for hundreds of years already.

Some of those people also drink too much.

And some are even (gasp) alcoholics.

Should be an interesting pursuit for a novice."

I've never gone to a bar alone and I did try to drink but got indigestion from my brown cow and couldn't drink it so ordered gingerale. I did notice drunk people in there and just avoided them. The gentleman I had a conversation with wasn't a drinker either so we were able to talk. Not everyone is a drinker or enjoys drinking so I might find someone similar to myself as well as get to know folks who are local. If I find too many people getting drunk I may realize this venue isn't for me, but in the meantime it will be an interesting pursuit.
 hemingway234
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2018 6:10:57 AM
Whatever you do, don't have sex early on - you don't know where they've been! Heck, I don't know where I've been either!
 purplerider1200
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2018 3:31:53 PM
I rarely, if ever see a woman walk into a bar by herself. It always seems like she just has to have a couple girlfriends with. Well, guess what, I never approach a bunch of women sitting together. I don't need an audience, I have been run off by groups of women----So---- If you can't go in by yourself, you must not want to date that much.
 feirene
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2018 7:31:30 PM
I think loads of people will use it because they use facebook and that's sh1t.
Then they will just be whinging about how sh1t it is but continue to use it in the hope of finding love anyway.

But married men won't use it because they'll be paranoid their wifey and friends will see them on it, maybe some will chance it and not have any profile pics. But it'll be sh1t because that's just how online dating is.

And excuse me as i go off to my inbox as one of my ex fbs is pretending he wants to date again. Let's play guess how many messages before he invites himself round for sex and does not offer me a date at all. I'm gonna guess 5, a couple more than usual as he might be learning i don't entertain him within 3.
 south_city
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/17/2018 7:24:58 AM

I rarely, if ever see a woman walk into a bar by herself. It always seems like she just has to have a couple girlfriends with.

Sometimes I have seen women at a bar alone. But they usually don't stay that along. They might have 1-2 drinks or some appetizers.
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/17/2018 1:47:43 PM
On a personal note, I wouldn't be open to try it as I've been hacked on facebook and phished once; not to mention the privacy concerns that a couple of people brought up, which is something facebook is already facing several class actions suits and was in court for.

The privacy concerns alone are enough for me that I don't even use the app. I remember when they had a debacle with facebook uploading everyone's contacts to their server and that was when I stopped using the app altogether. I don't think anyone should have to pay to use facebook as a dating site - there are so many groups on there that are targeted to dating, interests, etc. Some people have had success in meeting someone that way.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2018 12:38:15 AM

Let's play guess how many messages before he invites himself round for sex and does not offer me a date at all. I'm gonna guess 5, a couple more than usual as he might be learning i don't entertain him within 3.

Is wagering allowed?
 feirene
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2018 4:52:43 AM
No money is involved. I haven't replied, he hasn't even read my profile.

Is wagering allowed?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Spacebook to open dating pages later this year