Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Places to go in the UK      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 myjrny1
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Places to go in the UKPage 1 of 1    
I am in the preliminary planning stages of a trip to the UK, focusing on England and Scotland. At present, the plan is to spend at least two weeks there. I don't want to do the typical touristy stuff. I would really like to see the countryside. What places of interest would you have for me to focus on? I plan to use the rail system as much as possible to travel from location to location, and then probably rent a car to get around to see each of the local areas. Thanks for any input.
 feirene
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Places to go in the UK
Posted: 5/17/2018 1:45:02 PM
Yorkshire is nice, loads of countryside there. The Pennines there cross into Lancashire and i think you'd really enjoy a train ride from York to Manchester to view loads of countryside that way (in fact you'll see a lot of countryside using the trains in England anyway, not been to Scotland but guessing it'll be similar there too).

I used to be able to walk up rivington pike,it's very long walk but when i was younger it was feasible and in a car it would be easy. There is a festival every easter if you ever come here another time and want to go to it.

This was my original reply but think this is touristy? York has a museum that's in a castle and is huge and could take up your whole day just walking around it, and the town itself is beautiful if a little old fashioned still. And it only costs £10 to go in. Check it out if you like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Lg2WQ7nPE
 myjrny1
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Places to go in the UK
Posted: 5/18/2018 12:12:52 PM
Thank you, feirene. This is precisely what I am looking for. I appreciate the information.
 feirene
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Places to go in the UK
Posted: 5/22/2018 6:09:19 AM
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy your visit.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 5
Places to go in the UK
Posted: 8/14/2018 12:53:21 PM
Probably the best scenery in England is the Peak District. For instance Peveril Castle at Castleton is a ancient castle, drive there and there is turn after turn of jaw dropping scenery, if you're into rolling hills.
For serious hills, Scotland is the area. Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, Glen Coe and Ben Nevis. Although The UK is relatively small, because of the road network in Scotland, it does take a few hours to get anywhere. And if a road gets closed, it can cause re routes measured in hundreds of miles. Take protection though as it's a really rough area. I mean the insects. The biting midges, tiny flies from hell's gate.
A location popular for combination of scenery and good weather is the "English Riviera" area in the south west. It's a really pleasant area and good for visiting right into fall, unlike most of the north of the UK which son gets cold, wet, windy, dull and er, english.
English Heritage do a temporary overseas visitor's pass 9 or 16 days. Other organizations include The National Trust.
We also have a very strong enthusiast railroad tradition in the UK. There are dozens of preserved railways around. A few of the best include the Great Central Railway, The North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Severn Valley Railway, and The Bluebell Railway. Also the free railway museum at York.
Other popular things include aviation. A few aviation museums, though none as good as your Smithsonian Aeronautical Museum though, I visited that about 9 years ago, great!!!
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 6
Places to go in the UK
Posted: 8/14/2018 12:53:38 PM
Probably the best scenery in England is the Peak District. For instance Peveril Castle at Castleton is a ancient castle, drive there and there is turn after turn of jaw dropping scenery, if you're into rolling hills.
For serious hills, Scotland is the area. Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, Glen Coe and Ben Nevis. Although The UK is relatively small, because of the road network in Scotland, it does take a few hours to get anywhere. And if a road gets closed, it can cause re routes measured in hundreds of miles. Take protection though as it's a really rough area. I mean the insects. The biting midges, tiny flies from hell's gate.
A location popular for combination of scenery and good weather is the "English Riviera" area in the south west. It's a really pleasant area and good for visiting right into fall, unlike most of the north of the UK which son gets cold, wet, windy, dull and er, english.
English Heritage do a temporary overseas visitor's pass 9 or 16 days. Other organizations include The National Trust.
We also have a very strong enthusiast railroad tradition in the UK. There are dozens of preserved railways around. A few of the best include the Great Central Railway, The North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Severn Valley Railway, and The Bluebell Railway. Also the free railway museum at York.
Other popular things include aviation. A few aviation museums, though none as good as your Smithsonian Aeronautical Museum though, I visited that about 9 years ago, great!!!
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 7
Places to go in the UK
Posted: 8/25/2018 12:30:56 PM
Skye, Loch Lomond, Edinburgh if you want to do the tourist thing. Ayr. Glasgow, The Trossachs, Fort William, Inverness, Stirling

You can travel around Scotland by train and you can buy a pass that will make life easier for you
 myjrny1
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Places to go in the UK
Posted: 9/27/2018 6:23:21 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I really do appreciate them all. England may be smaller than the USA, but I am quickly realizing that I am going to have to focus on an area or two and discover everything there is to see. There is so much to see and do all across the country, that deciding on a particular area can be a bit overwhelming!
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Places to go in the UK