Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Change of life      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Change of lifePage 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I'm in dire need of changing my working life for financial reasons and I am desperate to destress my life to enjoy it more. No one wants an old person and my IT skills are out of date. The only thing I've come across which suits my needs is to train as a driving instructor. Should be easy huh?

The course itself means passing the same sort of tests but at a higher level with fewer mistakes as you would do for a driving licence - so highway code test, hazard awareness test and driving test. Only then can you begin instructor training. Partt way through that it is possible to teach under supervison followed by a final exam within 6 months of that point.

So far so good but before I even begin all that I need to get a criminal records check. To do that I need to complete a form listing documents proving who I am and then present all that to someone at a Post Office. This to me is where it is all bonkers. I need to show things which prove I am who I say and live where I say. Such things as my driving licence, my council tax, bank statements, utility bills. But hold on, I know that the DVLA, DVLC, banks, HMRC and electoral register are all connected. So for example, my driving licence which the DVLC sent to me to my address I now need to take to the post office to prove they sent it to me?

I also need to update my driving licence with a recent photo which could take 5 weeks apparently - really, five weeks? And then, only then, can I apply for permission from the DVLC for permission to start training. Bonkers beyond belief.
 billybonds
Msg: 2
Change of life
Posted: 5/18/2018 7:52:38 AM
There will be others chap. Quite a good idea, young girls
mini skirts long golden legs on leather. Or circa 1983-84
a routinely hung over George Michael fanatic.... I failed three
times before taking my A game into a less populated area.

What about a funeral director. Being 6' people will take you
for someone with gravitas and dignity. I instinctively feel
your personality could fill all the tip toeing around duties.
It's recession proof... And I feel posting will be easier....
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 3
Change of life
Posted: 5/18/2018 9:02:15 AM
Actually funeral work is quite a good gig, the pay is good
& the customers don't come back & complain.........
I've never known one (& I've known a couple)
who disliked the job - plus - you never run out
of customers.........

vlad dracul
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/19/2018 3:15:27 AM
Chapster
I'm the opposite mate. I need to re stress.

The cheque I got for £3,345 from rbs due to the plevin ruling has cleared. Nearly £18,000 I've had returned from them over the last few years.

I'm down in Dorset working on a hoose right on the cliffs edge.

The mist is lifting and it is sunny.

My mate had to go back up the road last night so I'm here on my jack jones.

The hoose is around the £4 million mark.

Just me here till Wednesday. Working away today so I can sit glued to the telly this afternoon.

Both cup finals are on telly.

And I'm getting paid for it. So I'll just carry on regardless.

But the funeral director job sounds quite good as well though.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/21/2018 8:10:30 AM
I always joke I’m going to go into business for myself renting out deckchairs on a beach somewhere warm.
Maybe branch out into dodgy watches, bags and glasses.
I think sometimes of going back to Spain and getting a job somewhere.
Why I’m scared to do anything too adventurous is beyond me.

Now....back to you chap :)
I think driving instructor is a good idea. Loads of work.
Not sure that would be a de-stress though. I gave 2 of my niece’s lessons in my car. One drove up a drive and towards someone’s living-room, no joke. I panicked but pulled the handbrake up and stopped inches from their window.

Ok really back to you:
Never too late to retrain.
while some professions favour the young, many see the benefits of us older folk
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/21/2018 10:07:53 AM
It has been a real drag so far. I've managed to get the Disbarring form done, finally found the right paperwork and been down to the Post office in Gloucester to have it verified. Even though it was scanned in it has not yet appeared on the computer system. Am just about to post off my driving licence to get that renewed. Once those two are complete I can apply for permission to be allowed to train and take the theory tests. Clearly this was designed by someone whose experience never got beyond quills and parchment.

Got a meeting coming up on Thursday with the training people. Long haul.

Thanks Roxy.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/25/2018 4:06:37 AM
All looking positive. Just need to make the decision to jump now.

My DBS (criminal records) check is in process. There are 3 lots of places they look, I'm surprised, I thought it would all be on the central police system but there are others too apparently.
 Jacknher
Msg: 8
Change of life
Posted: 5/25/2018 9:57:53 AM
Well done Chappie........and good for you.

I don't think I'd have the patience/energy/nous to re-train at this stage. In fact the whole idea is more than a little bit scary.
Just did the online Pension Forecast thing and if I give them another £145 now.......I can retire on a full pension at the beginning of 2022. So as long as I can keep going till then....and I make sure I am in a much smaller and much lower maintenance house by then......I am happy enough to spend that time ticking along sitting at my desk.
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/29/2018 12:28:12 PM
Just wanted to post this to wish young Chappy all the very best of look with his change of direction career wise..

Bryan
 WakemanR
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/30/2018 12:59:45 AM

I'm in dire need of changing my working life for financial reasons and I am desperate to destress my life to enjoy it more. No one wants an old person and my IT skills are out of date. The only thing I've come across which suits my needs is to train as a driving instructor. Should be easy huh?

The course itself means passing the same sort of tests but at a higher level with fewer mistakes as you would do for a driving licence - so highway code test, hazard awareness test and driving test. Only then can you begin instructor training. Partt way through that it is possible to teach under supervison followed by a final exam within 6 months of that point.

So far so good but before I even begin all that I need to get a criminal records check. To do that I need to complete a form listing documents proving who I am and then present all that to someone at a Post Office. This to me is where it is all bonkers. I need to show things which prove I am who I say and live where I say. Such things as my driving licence, my council tax, bank statements, utility bills. But hold on, I know that the DVLA, DVLC, banks, HMRC and electoral register are all connected. So for example, my driving licence which the DVLC sent to me to my address I now need to take to the post office to prove they sent it to me?

I also need to update my driving licence with a recent photo which could take 5 weeks apparently - really, five weeks? And then, only then, can I apply for permission from the DVLC for permission to start training. Bonkers beyond belief.

Sorry, I'm late to this thread.

My first reaction to this post is to question this statement: "No one wants an old person and my IT skills are out of date".

You can't do anything about your age (LOL), but let's set that aside for the moment. Let's talk IT skills. I don't know what your skills are/were, but I do know that building upon previous learning is easier than taking up completely new subjects. IT is a vast ocean of things these days. Is it truly out of the question that you could skill-up?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/30/2018 1:59:20 AM
Thanks for your interest everyone. I seem to have passed the first hurdle, my criminal record certificate is on it's way.

I'd rather be back in IT Mr Wakeman but trust me, once someone finds out how old I am, interest suddenly disappears. But if you know of anyone who could use a COBOL programmer I definitely would be interested.
 WakemanR
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/30/2018 2:08:37 AM
You were a coder? How about spending the time updating yourself to newer/more popular languages? Then maybe doing the consultancy thing, where age isn't seen as a negative?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/30/2018 3:48:51 AM
Coder - we used to call it programmer

Yes, most of the time Analyst/Programmer but usually ended up doing analysis and project leader though never getting properly paid for it.

Can't stand C and Java nor the stupidity of so called object oriented programming which is just more bullshit bingo.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 14
Change of life
Posted: 5/30/2018 8:59:53 AM
There's good money in the freelance (temp) Testing sector,
but I can see that the variety of the driving thing
would have a lot of appeal..........
Good luck, I hope it's everything you want it to be.......

Justanotherchap
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/31/2018 1:28:08 AM
Testing what Bunny? Bungee rope? Self medication books?

Joking - I'm open to ideas.

Stage 1 reached. I now have my enhanced security certificate for Driving Instructor and Child Workforce. Sounds like I am cleared to be a gangmaster for Victorian workshops as well?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/31/2018 2:21:50 AM
Chapster
"Stage 1 reached. I now have my enhanced security certificate for Driving Instructor and Child Workforce. Sounds like I am cleared to be a gangmaster for Victorian workshops as well?"

Now a gangmaster sounds like a good career move. The john gotti of the uk forums with bondsy as your 'financial' geezer.

Good luck with the driving thingy though.

My arm now has a scabbed up sore where i got burnt by the stupid sun. I'm no used to heat like that so stupidly wore a vest whilst working on the roof painting a cable.

If you need someone stupid for your gang i now fit in that category because of the stupid sun.

If you pass all the shite needed to become a gangma eh driving instructor can you freelance or do you need to be part of a company?

Do you have to jump through hoops to get the license needed?

Ive put up an article before showing where lorry drivers or would be ones need to pay fortunes to get the required papers to drive a truck? There does not seem to be much help out there.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 5/31/2018 2:33:06 AM
I keep telling you Vlad - Ardbeg is the best - buy a bottle with your PPI winnings.

Hoops to jump through? Yes, loads. Government help - nope.

Have just applied for my Approved Driving Instructors license which is grander than it sounds. It just allows me to train to become an ADI. £140 to the government.

First step it to take the normal driving course all over again including 10 hours refresher training (£300), hazard perception test, highway code test (£81) and then driving test £111. All have to be passed at a higher level than allowed for normal car licence.

Then I can start the ADI training (£1700 ish)
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 6/1/2018 2:41:37 AM
Just got my criminal record check through yesterday and my updated driving licence this morning. The bureaucrats are doing well so far. Just waiting for my ADI license now. Progress.

Oh stop it!

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 10ky
Msg: 19
Change of life
Posted: 6/1/2018 7:44:23 AM
Chapo.. for allah's. You ought not even have a working life at you age. When's it that you're gonnae have a breather ffs? tsk tsk tsk. smh.

-everyone
Where's Paulette gone? Anybody knows? She still on here by any chance?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 8/11/2018 2:07:54 AM
Getting to be a driving instructor is pretty difficult these days. I've just passed my first theory and hazard test. I need to take an advanced driving test. As usual under this Tory government even getting that has become more difficult. The first and only one available in Worcester this year, my preferred location, wouldn't be until October so I've gone for an October date in Gloucester instead.
 rekirked
Msg: 21
Change of life
Posted: 8/11/2018 4:28:15 AM
I missed this one. Chap, all I would say is getting the quail is one thing (quite a hurdle by the sound of it) starting a new driving school will be a whole new challenge (apologies but you haven’t s said if you were doing employed of self employed in this field)

My dad was an ADI for many years, he started at BSM and was fleeced, he went onto another local school and got all the students the clique didn’t want. He finally went out in his own and was competing with idiots who will literally work for peanuts.

I wish you well with it but my instincts say look at something else.

Ever thought of training to be a counsellor?
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 8/11/2018 5:13:09 AM

Ever thought of training to be a counsellor?

The standard route into qualified counselling involves a minimum of more than three years training. Most diploma courses involve thirty hours of personal therapy at the student's own cost, and finding a voluntary placement to complete at least 100 hours of client counselling. At degree level, that increases to forty hours of therapy and 200 hours of client hours in a placement in the final year. You are also expected to be DBS cleared and a member of BACP (again at the student's own cost).

A psychotherapist normally trains for five years and is expected to attend their own therapy sessions once a week for the duration of the course.

Once qualified, a new counsellor in private practice can expect £30-50 per session. They would expect to see a maximum of 20 clients a week once established. If they were fortunate. They would have to pay for regular sessions with a clinical supervisor and pay for rooms, unless they were working from home. Continual professional development is expected as part of association membership.

Then there's the actual toll of working with clients to factor in. Counsellors have their own personal therapists to hand to deal with burnout issues.

It's a vocation. It's expensive, not exactly lucrative, and while it can be immensely rewarding, it's no walk in the park.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 8/11/2018 5:15:35 AM
I did think about doing the Mindfulness course to be able to teach but the involvement is too huge. I can only talk from my own experience but almost everyone on the courses I did were there because of depression of different kinds and most had some sort of money / not coping problems. Knowing that, I was rather surprised that most counsellors were asking £60 per hour to help people already struggling with money and life.

I've looked into the ADI rewards and so far the people I have talked to are positive. I think the tougher requirements and costs to become an ADI are weeding out people prepared to work for nothing.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 8/11/2018 5:41:12 AM

most counsellors were asking £60 per hour to help people already struggling with money and life.

In my experience, most counsellors are flexible with their usual rates and will accommodate people people with a real problem paying.

However, how far do you think you would get if you had a plumber out and told him after he'd done the job that you couldn't pay?

Counselling is a growth industry. People are reluctant to pay for it though. At an agency I do voluntary work at, the counselling is free and open ended. I've had clients for six months at a time. One counsellor had one for two years. All of my tutors had several jobs on the go, and none of them ran around in swanky Mercedes.
 rekirked
Msg: 25
Change of life
Posted: 8/11/2018 5:50:46 AM
The mobility business is booming around here, the grey pound seems strong. Plus You can usually buy a scooter back after bereavement for peanuts with hardly any use. much like campers and caravans. Morbid economics i know but everyone needs a living.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Change of life