Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Buying a home for your parents      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheAdventurousNerd
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Buying a home for your parents Page 1 of 1    
Hey everyone I hope you are all having success in your fishing!

I had a bit of a strange question for the forums as a first time poster.

Currently I’m selling my condo for a reasonable profit ( yay Vancouver housing market) and I’m using the proceeds to purchase with my parents. Due to an injury my father sustained he has a bankruptcy on his record and is unable to buy a home and my moms income isn’t high enough to qualify so i made the decision to help them buy which means I need to live with them( can’t afford 2 places) for a couple years until we can afford a second down payment.

Getting to my question I have had two women who I have been messaging back and forth with say that this is a dealbreaker for them. I’m curious as to what the world thinks

Is this something that would turn you off ladies of PoF?
 feirene
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Buying a home for your parents
Posted: 5/22/2018 5:48:23 AM
I think it's kind of you and tbh it's not that long to wait to get a home with you (say things went well). But i'm guessing these women either don't have their own place for you to chill at or they just don't want to feel used (if relationships are one sided they can leave people feeling like that).

Doesn't really matter what we think, what the women you're interested in is who you should care about what they say.
 TheAdventurousNerd
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2018 5:14:16 PM
Perfect thanks for your insight
 feirene
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2018 1:31:44 AM
You're welcome. Didn't think it'd be that helpful tbh.
 wadeinwaves
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/23/2018 8:53:43 AM
Your title should read 'Buyig a home WITH your parents'. There are lots of threads on 'Living with Parents' with lots of opinions. Check them out.

I know men up to 54 years of age who are living with their parents. Last weekend I met a sexy Rastafarian man at a pub and then when it was time to see him again he asked if we could hang out at MY place and I said the same back to him. He told me he lives with his mom and can't have women over. I told him I don't bring men home until something has been established.

I can entertain an bring anyone to my home, but I don't. It is a deal breaker when a man lives with parents because it means we will always have to hang out at my place. Sometimes I want to spend time at theirs. Also, what would happen if both the man and woman live with parents? Where would they spend time together? Would they have to rent motels on an ongoing basis, hang out at public venues and in the car? It's not for me.

Economically living with your parents will be easier on all of you. There are benefits to it such as companionship, mutual caring, and chores can be divided up. Normally the mom cooks and does laundry (from what I've seen with the men who live with their parents), the dads work even though they are past retirement age, and the guy contributes to the household by cutting the lawn, buying groceries, maybe paying for repairs, etc.

Like myself I'm sure you don't have the opposite sex lined up banging my door down so I am not sure if a person should place too much importance if living with parents is a dealbreaker or not. Do what's right for your family. The thing is the dealbreaker can highly depend on whether or not the guy is allowed to have women over....or not. So far I've not seen any situations where a guy can bring women over no matter how old the guy is except for one where the man was 28 years of age. I guess his parents were more open because they weren't as old as some other parents.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2018 10:02:22 PM
It would make a difference to me whether the man had his own space separate from the parents, like upstairs/downstairs with separate entrances, or a MIL unit. Many cultures have multi-generational homes so it isn't that weird a concept. However, I am not of any of those cultures. I would not date a man where I'd be bumping into his parents.

OP makes it sound all noble getting his parents into a house but didn't actually answer the question, why do they need a house? Why do they want a house? Where are they living now? Do they want to live with their adult child? Answering those questions would provide some insight into the kind of parent-child relationship here and whether the man is a little too close to his parents for me to consider a relationship.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Buying a home for your parents