Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Is the right to free speech ending in America?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is the right to free speech ending in America?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Those of you who follow the news will know that a few players in the American NFL refused to stand for the playing of the national anthem in protest at the racist attitudes still prevalent and particularly at the disproportionate number of black people being killed by the police - I think I have that about right. Not wishing to be unpatriotic they knelt down in stead - reported as "took the knee".

America was founded on the idea of freedom for people, free from religious persecution and the right to free speech.

Those protests didn't go down well with Trump, he called them sons of ****es. The argument has ben going on for 2 years or so but now the people who run the NFL have decided they will fine clubs who allow their players to protest in this way. They are asking instead that the players and staff remain off the field while the anthem is played. I can imagine that some people who would not otherwise have protested joining in. Surely the right to make a peaceful political statement knows no bounds?
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 2
Is the right to free speech ending in America?
Posted: 5/24/2018 7:42:31 AM
Yup - now try it at the gates of Number Ten......
......be sure & let us know how you get on......
:)

Justanotherchap
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 8:06:31 AM
Somewhere or other I have a photo of me and my girlfriend standing outside No 10, the actual door, way before the gates.
 malinhead
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2018 7:24:39 PM
I see people on the political forums asking the same question of the U.K. with the arrest of Tommy Robinson,aka Andrew McMaster,PAul Harris real name Stephen Christopher Lennon??
 WakemanR
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2018 3:45:09 AM
We live in times where paranoia is prevalent. Everything's a conspiracy, the powerful want to crush the weak, etc. etc. If it's not Reptilian aliens, it's the Flat Earth. If it's not a Flat Earth it's NASA faking the moon landings. Conspiracy conspiracy conspiracy.

Free speech is as free as it's ever been. The mistake people make is that they interpret "free speech" in the broadest possible terms, usually in ways that trespass on the rights of others. But hey, they feel entitled - it's all FREE SPEECH!

Take this Tommy fellow. He was sentenced of Contempt of Court last year. He got a suspended sentence, meaning he stayed out as long as he didn't break the law again. Obviously this was too difficult for Tommy, who not only put himself in the front line again, but managed to get himself arrested. As such, he's due no sympathy. He's been foolish. He should have known, and been fully prepared, for what might come his way. What's he crying about now? it's all narcissistic attention grabbing, imo.

Free Speech is more in danger from people who seem to think they should be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want, and whether is affects others, than it is by legislators. Our governments do some terrible things, but these ridiculous situations draw attention from them. Tommy will get what he deserves.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2018 6:47:58 AM
It's all explained very neatly here: https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/05/25/what-has-happened-to-poor-tommy-robinson/
 vlad dracul
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2018 9:50:12 AM
"I see people on the political forums asking the same question of the U.K. with the arrest of Tommy Robinson,aka Andrew McMaster,PAul Harris real name Stephen Christopher Lennon??"

So the geezer has not been an angel throughout his life. He uses pseudonyms. His birth name was actually Yaxsley. His mother married again and he took his step fathers name of Lennon.

His use of the name tommy robinson is understandable. He motivated 1,000's of citizens to march against islamists.

He has received 5 (i think) credible osman warnings from the police. These are given out when there is a chance you may be murdered.

Now a lot of our more snowflake citizens would love nothing more than seeing the laddie get murdered for speaking out against islamism. They of course being in Dhimmitude themselves.

Maybe some posters on here should pay a bit more attention to what is happening in working class areas where folk are fvckin sick of the political class shying away from actually DOING something to alleviate their fears.

The so called 'better educated' like nothing better than sneering at what are valid concerns by working class folk. So if the political elite will do fvck all then more tommy robinsons will put their heads above the parapet and SAY what folk are thinking whilst our political elites introduce more draconian laws to silence folk.

10's of thousands marched this year in various cities in the uk under the flag of the football lads alliance.

Numbers any of our political parties would love to be able to muster. Mainly working class who would have at one time voted london labour. But they are lost to london labour as corbyns party now want wealthy snowflakes.

Tommy robinsons book is very good in my opinion. He tells of his life in luton. His relative who was groomed them taken to her parents door and told to say goodbye as they would never see her again.

When he was in jail and they put him in a room with 3 convicted islamist terrorists and turned the cameras off and locked the door.

He is seen as a hero by many working class. And who is responsible for this? Step forward political elites. Those prepared to turn a blind eye to mass torture and rape because they want that 'communities' vote.

Oh and he is white working class. Whats not to hate eh?
 WakemanR
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2018 1:49:26 PM
Yeah sorry, you've clearly bought into the narrative.

Tommy Robinson is a problem, not a solution. His politics and beliefs are divisive, hateful, and he walks a fine line of legality at times. Being "working class" doesn't give you carte-Blanche to be hateful and to try and marginalize a people.

Now, when he goes to prison he's in danger? And? Just about anybody that goes to prison is in danger. They don't tend to put well-reasoned, calm individuals in prison. Usually it's the dregs of society in there (of which Tommy is one). So my heart bleeds that he has a hard time in there. My suggestion to him is that next time he's on a suspended sentence - where he's specifically told that if he he's charged again he'll get serious prison time - that he listen and change his behaviour accordingly.

As for all the "politic elite" crap, well itr's par for the course in discussions. It doesn't really mean much, and frankly it's just tiresome. Without a doubt the British people have been let down by a succession of governments. The rich have gotten richer, the poor poorer. Inequality is rampant, and not enough is being done to set things right. There's a fag-paper between Tories and Labour these days. It's a disaster. But you lose me when you prattle on about the "political elite" - you sound like yet another who has drunk the right-wing cool-aid. Don't even get me started on your use of the term "snowflake", which pretty much confirms where you've chosen to get your education.

I've not read Tommy's book, and I can't see myself reading it. I honestly don't care what he says or thinks. I don't know anyone who thinks he's a "hero", quite the opposite. Tommy is hated not because he's working class, or white. He's hated because he himself preaches hate and division. It comes right back at him - are you surprised?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2018 2:24:55 PM
Wakeman

Here I've just had a Paul on the road to Damascus type revelation.

If it wasn't for dead clever folk like you telling thick stupid folk like me what to believe what WOULD I do?

The Daily Wail in Oxford reckons folk like me need the 'right wing tory press ' to tell me what I should do.

Then another 'intellectual ' tells me that someone protesting islamism is divisive.

Here was me thinking islamists wanting to kill citizens were divisive as well.

How stupid of me.

But rest assured I shall consider Dhimmitude as a solution. Just like you have.

I feel liberated now someone ITK has pointed out the error of my ways.

I salute you with a pint of Stella and a bag of plain crisps.

Others be warned. Don't buy into narratives. Like I did.

Or wakeman does.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2018 9:59:09 PM
Apologies are not being accepted when someone says something they shouldn't, as in the case of Roseanne Barr. You can't free speech any negativity and not have it effect your job, so her show, "Roseanne", was canceled.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/business/media/roseanne-barr-offensive-tweets.html

As for football players, their silent protest is during our anthem with military present on the field, and they are sometimes singing the anthem. It's a slap in the face to our military and the country. Who can protest at their job about something unrelated to their job? No one. The new NFL, national football league, rule is players must stand or the team gets fined, and possibly the player.
 WakemanR
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2018 12:46:36 AM
Well, what's clear is that you, and some others, have been radicalized. Your views swing from extreme to extreme, with no middle ground. Where you see black and white, I see shades of grey.

Let me give you a simple example. You've made a post on a public forum. I have responded, and I don't agree with you. You therefore stick a label on me, hoping all the baggage that comes with it will stick. You could have simply debated the issues, but when you've been radicalized, there's little room for that.

I can say with certainty that I am not more "clever" than you or others here. If I had to guess where I stood in such banal standards, I'd suggest it's somewhere in the middle. I assume the same is true for yourself. I don't know who these "thick stupid folk" are, although reading your post it appears they're anyone who doesn't agree with you. Go figure. I mean, it's you that uses the word "Dhimmitude", which I'm so sure is part of your every day vocabulary. LOL

You're also not too good at irony. For me it goes without saying that anyone who wants to kill people on the streets of Britain are the enemy. Whether they be from Islam, Christianity, or a Cricket Club. All the same. But as a Christian committing murder doesn't condemn all Christians, so a believer in Islam who plots/kills doesn't condemn an entire faith. Every Christian believes non-believers are going to burn in hell. Same with the Jewish persuasion. In fact, non-believers of every faith have some bad things coming to them. Why pick on only one?

People will make up their own minds. I just think it's a shame when they haven't really thought it through, and instead rely on knee-jerk reactions, or extremists, to get "evidence". Often they don't check sources for smear campaigns, and usually they're more at the extreme end of whatever philosophy they've bought into.

There are lots of problems with the media. Weirdly, you touch on none of them. Equally weirdly, you've substituted big media for small media. In other words, simply swapped one out for the other. You'll simply end up in the same place.

This Tommy fellow is a fool. His rhetoric is one of hate. He has spent a good period of his life trying to persecute and spread hatred about races, and religions. There is no peace down his road, only war.

Further, he was convicted of a crime, and got a slap on the wrist - a suspended sentence. Don't do it again, and he'll essential get off. Could he manage that? Clearly not. So, as a poster boy against an authoritarian state, he's a fail. As a citizen he's a fail. As a political movement he's a fail. The narrative that he's been jailed because of the Big Brother state is false - he was jailed because he was on a suspended sentence, and broke the law again.
 WakemanR
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2018 12:55:01 AM

Apologies are not being accepted when someone says something they shouldn't, as in the case of Roseanne Barr. You can't free speech any negativity and not have it effect your job, so her show, "Roseanne", was canceled.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/business/media/roseanne-barr-offensive-tweets.html

As for football players, their silent protest is during our anthem with military present on the field, and they are sometimes singing the anthem. It's a slap in the face to our military and the country. Who can protest at their job about something unrelated to their job? No one. The new NFL, national football league, rule is players must stand or the team gets fined, and possibly the player.

NewYorker58: There are no words to cover what Roseanne did, she's someone else who's been radicalized. She has a history of making such tweets, so I suppose it's not too surprising. The only shame is that she has denied others the chance to make a living (and I'm not particularly talking about the other actors here, but all the people behind the scenes who aren't earning mega-bucks.)

As for the kneeling - I can understand why it's a difficult one. If I had to make a stand, it would be on the side of those kneeling, but can appreciate why others would feel differently. My conclusion is due to a few reasons - firstly because although kneeling could be interpreted as being disrespectful of the military veterans at the game, they have expressly said it's not a protest against them. It's not open to debate, they're clear. Secondly, what were those veterans fighting for? I suggest it was for the constitution. As such, the right to Free Speech should reign here.

Trump has been vocal about how unpatriotic it is, but for me it rings hollow given he himself didn't serve, and by some investigations, no Trump has served in the last 150 years.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2018 1:43:13 AM
Vlad, you're just plain wrong on this one. Read the details in the link Orange gave us, it shows exactly why Tommy was jailed. Importantly he was trying to publish details about people who were on trial. If he had managed to do that the outcome could have been a dismissal of the case or at least a re-run of it, neither of which were in the interests of the public or victims. He only needed to keep quiet until after the trial. He is a stupid man.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2018 1:53:15 AM
We have a similar problem with our "national anthem", the press use it to castigate those people they don't like when they choose not to sing it.

I don't sing it either. The words are an absolute nonsense I can't ever believe in. Does that make me unpatriotic?

I wonder if there would be this furore with people demonstrating their frustration if they were white? A more inclusive president would not have condemned these people but immediately launched an investigation as to why so many black people, often unarmed, have been shot and killed by the police for no reason.
 generalthunder
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2018 6:56:08 PM
I tell you truly, if Crooked Hillary would have won, we would be not able to tell the truth and only phony news would survive. Thank GOD for TRUMP! Take a lesson over on that side of the pond and vote for someone who won't censure you or let immigrants take over your country. Like Trump says, You guys should BUILD A WALL!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 1:23:46 AM
Chapster
"Vlad, you're just plain wrong on this one. Read the details in the link Orange gave us, it shows exactly why Tommy was jailed. Importantly he was trying to publish details about people who were on trial. If he had managed to do that the outcome could have been a dismissal of the case or at least a re-run of it, neither of which were in the interests of the public or victims. He only needed to keep quiet until after the trial. He is a stupid man."

Yep he did make an arse of it. The fact he pleaded guilty shows he knows he was wrong. I read Oranges link. It was NOT written in an unbiased way. The contempt of court part? Yes that correct.

It then goes on to show complete contempt for tommy robinson and anyone who thinks he MAY have a point.

Remember we live in times where a political party, the police and social services HID the abuse, torture and sometimes murder of working class white lassies. The ESTABLISHMENT colluded and hid this atrocity. Why? Because of votes and who carried the atrocities out.

If not then what WAS the reason for the cover up?

Wakeman
I've no got time to reply to your post just now as we are trying to finish a job here in dorset. Then away to work in walton on the naze. But i shall when i get hame.

My main point of contention though is you assuming i 'buy into' something. I can make my own mind up on events.

Like brexit. I love the chaos it's caused. All over europe millions are voting anti eu parties. Have they also 'bought into' or maybe they do not like what they see?

Have those who voted remain 'bought into' the eu myth?

Anyway, aye i can fly off the handle. But as i said i will reply when I'm hame.

Bondsy
I see on off topic you said you are going to hamilton? Is that our hamilton up here?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 1:24:51 AM
We are an island you dumbass. Where would you suggest we build the wall?
 Jo van
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/31/2018 3:15:16 AM

Remember we live in times where a political party, the police and social services HID the abuse, torture and sometimes murder of working class white lassies. The ESTABLISHMENT colluded and hid this atrocity. Why? Because of votes and who carried the atrocities out.
If not then what WAS the reason for the cover up?

Tommy likes to stand outside courts and "expose rapists" and "paedophiles", but you never see him standing outside any of the courts where members of the "christian" clergy have been convicted.
-Strange that, because there have been many hundreds of them, and many thousands of rapes of "white" [sic] working class children, mostly little boys, many who went on to commit suicide.
These rapes weren't just "covered-up" by "the establishment", they were committed by members of "the establishment".
And these rapes weren't committed by mere "followers" of a religion, but by the leaders of religions.
And covered up for years.
ALL religions are silly.
But no sign of Tommy at any of those trials.

Makes you wonder if it's not rapes and child abuse that he's really upset about at all, , but "muslims"....
Surely not?

-I liked "sing if you're proud to be gay" though.

Back on-topic:

Trump is trying to attack freedom of speech, by pretending that any criticisms of his incompetence, his ineptitude, his "racism", his tendencies to sexually assault women, and then brag about it, or his entire "campaign's" links to dodgy Russian oligarchs are all "fake news".
He lost what little brain he had, before he lost his hair.

It's been ruled that he can't block people on twitter.
The USA has some strange "freedom of speech" rules (IMO), it allows swastika-wearing and tattooed buffoons to march, shouting "jews will not replace us", rump described them as "good people", despite one of them driving his car into a crowd, and killing someone.
But then..... he is a homophobic, "racist" cvnt. [/Med. Term] So you can't really expect anything different.

Roseanne got fired, but at least she's still got her freedom of speech.

"Racism" is soooo passé.
And factually inaccurate.

One day, you'll all realise this, and then you'll say: "hmmmm old Jo was right after all, I wish I'd listened to him"
I'm just trying to give you a head's start.
You're welcome.
Have a pleasant Thursday.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 3:31:44 AM
"Tommy likes to stand outside courts and "expose rapists" and "paedophiles", but you never see him standing outside any of the courts where members of the "christian" clergy have been convicted.
-Strange that, because there have been many hundreds of them, and many thousands of rapes of "white" [sic] working class children, mostly little boys, many who went on to commit suicide.
These rapes weren't just "covered-up" by "the establishment", they were committed by members of "the establishment".
And these rapes weren't committed by mere "followers" of a religion, but by the leaders of religions.
And covered up for years.
ALL religions are silly.
But no sign of Tommy at any of those trials."

And the atrocities you correctly mention were hidden by ALL the political parties?

Because only one political party gets mentioned as hiding the rapes by adherents of the religion of peas.

Were the atrocities carried out by the priests, nuns, ministers etc hidden by the local police?

Were the atrocities carried out by priests, nuns, ministers etc hidden by social services?

If they were then you have a point.

If they were not then what the donald duck are you slavering about?

Incidentally the child rapists in rochdale were supported outside court by uaf dafties. You know them. Momentum type london labour fools.

And of course the child rapists from rochdale now have 'human rights innit' lawyers making bundles by stopping them being deported.

Pissing down with rain here today so a short day beckons for moi.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 3:48:46 AM
Jo, you'll love this program https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b5b4w8/africas-great-civilisations-series-1-1-origins

I think I'm in love - check out the stunning beautiful and damned clever historian at around 12 minutes! I could listen to her all day.

The top people have always been protected, I suspect it's no much different now except that it is more difficult to hide.
 Jo van
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/31/2018 5:24:04 AM
^^ I did love it, I watched it on bbc4, they have lots of great programs like this.

I checked out the woman at 12 mins, you're a sick man.
But it made me remember that I'd missed the first 11 mins, because that's where I started watching from.
So thanks for that.
The first 11 mins were very good too. (About the "mitochondrial eve") (that'll get the religiotards excited! )

Interesting about "Nubia" and the Egyptians I thought, and how their religions were transferred during conquests, then transferred back again.
It's what religions tend to do.
Eg African "christians" tend to be more "hard-line" and "orthodox" now than the English "christians" who forced their religion on the inhabitants to begin with.

I find it interesting, from an anthropological POV., the way that religions here have "sanitised" themselves here, and become more moderate, in line with the "zeitgeist", or as socially accepted mores have evolved.
All three "abrahamic" religions have a tendency to "victim blame" in rape cases, as if the man "really couldn't help it",
-and it's the victim's fault for being out alone, or just for being too damned attractive. (In the subjective opinion of a fvcking rapist! )
"God" says that women who've been raped should be stoned to death, apparently...

All three have mostly stopped the "animal sacrifices", though there remain some remnants of this in "feast days", (turkeys, goats, etc) originally there were human sacrifices to appease their "gods".

No knowledge, no education, and all "news" and any new information coming via "word of mouth", with all the attendant tendencies for exaggeration and "Chinese whispers".
I can see why they were frightened, it must have been terrifying to have lived back then.

Sometimes, from the things I see posted, I fear we're returning to that state of "rumour-driven" terror.
Although the internet is a wonderful tool for the availability of information, selective reading, confirmation bias etc., can turn it into a big, amplified, "echo chamber"
Chamber....
Chamber....
Hello
Hello
Hello.....
Have a nice day.
 calliopedreams
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 6:15:50 AM
There is a lot of confusion regarding the 1st Amendment in the US Bill of Rights, even among US Citizens.

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

All it really means is that the US Government (Congress) cannot interfere with a person's right to express him/herself.

As a matter of fact, we have actual Free Speech which does NOT exist in the UK and Canada, because the First Amendment protects Hate Speech in the US, whereas the UK and Canada have laws restricting it.

The First Amendment does NOT apply to employers or owners of establishments, businesses (such as websites, etc.), or any other private entity (restaurant, shopping mall, etc.).

This means that an employer like ABC (a broadcasting entity in the US) can fire Roseanne if she says or does something that they feel has a detrimental effect on their business/bottom line.

Same for the NFL players ... They can take a knee when wearing their uniform (at which time they are representing their team and the owners), but if their employers (the team owners) think it is somehow detrimental to their image and/or profits, they can take action, such as fining or firing a player, or "icing" a player (refusing to hire Kaepernick). After all, employers have their rights, too.

Football players can demonstrate all they want when they are not in uniform, but it seems disingenuous to use the platform they have as a televised football player, which would NOT be available to them, but for their "job," then complain when the employer, who has given them this platform, wants to have some control over it.

Now, Trump has confused the issue, because he is President, or as he seems to believe, Grand Ruler of All He Surveys, but other than chastising the owners on a personal level, he has no Federal role in this issue

Bottom line: just like in any other country, in the US, an employee can behave in any manner they choose while on the clock, as long as they are willing to suffer the consequences that may be imposed by their employer. The First Amendment does not (necessarily) cover such cases.

vlad dracul
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 6:29:55 AM
Calllope
That was an interesting read. And as american football team owners want supporters i suppose they look into that. At ordinary football games here national anthems are never sung.

I went to see this geezer speak the other week. McNeill of Tranent. The fastest man in the world of athletics. He spoke of racing the black geezer who done the black power salute at the olympics.

His salute didnae work out to good for him though.............

"McNeill’s world record for 120 yards stands to this day.

In ’72 he beat America’s Tommie Smith for what was billed as the world pro sprint title.

Smith, of course, had marked victory at the Mexico Olympics with the Black Power salute, but in unlikely Wakefield had to admit defeat to the black balaclava.

“We shared a hotel and he was a good guy,” says McNeill. “He told me the salute had ruined him commercially. Bizarrely, he’d come to Wakefield to try out for rugby league.

Even more bizarrely, I ended up playing a game for Barrow. I quite enjoyed it and the chairman wanted to sign me, but the town was grim so I didn’t bother.”

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/athletics/george-mcneill-tranent-s-one-man-fast-show-1-3644554
 calliopedreams
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 6:46:38 AM
Muhammad Ali was "ruined commercially" for many years due to his political views regarding the Vietnam War. At least he was committed to his perspective.

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/06/muhammad-ali-vietnam/485717/

I guess some protestors need to ask if their commitment to a political position outweighs their potential to make a living.

Ali showed that he was deeply committed to his beliefs. Kaepernick is whining about making himself unemployable. Now some of his teammates are considering not playing until he is rehired.

Report: Some “star” players consider sitting out until Kaepernick, Reid have jobs
Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2018, 8:18 PM EDT.

Interestingly, one of Kaepernick's lawyers thinks he can use Trump's comments to make a case for NFL "collusion."

I guess we will see how many other sports figures have the level of integrity of which Ali was capable
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 7:54:50 AM
Excellent explanation of the US constitution and 1st Amendment. It all makes sense. But when you get to the end, the conclusion is that rich people can tell poor people when and where they can protest. Nothing new there. That's what happens all the time with the newspapers and TV and now the internet. So where do people who want to protest about the disproportionate violence used against black people, or any other societal problem really, if their employers can fire them for having a viewpoint? I'm thinking here of the woman who stuck 2 fingers up as trump's convoy drove past. She wasn't in work clothes or at work but she still got fired.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Is the right to free speech ending in America?