Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What is your max distance?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
What is your max distance? Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've dated women that lived 5 minutes away and have gone as far as an hour. That ride can be longer with traffic. I find about 30-35 minutes is the most I'm comfortable with. Especially when one of us goes home after a late night.
 CBGB77
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What is your max distance?
Posted: 5/24/2018 8:43:25 AM

Posted By: Endless_Summer_Nights on 5/24/2018 1021 AM
Subject: What is your max distance?
Message: I've dated women that lived 5 minutes away and have gone as far as an hour. That ride can be longer with traffic. I find about 30-35 minutes is the most I'm comfortable with. Especially when one of us goes home after a late night.

I'm the same,30-35 minute drive is my limit and mostly toward the south-west. When I started looking for someone on POF I was restricting my search to woman within 10 miles of Minneapolis and wouldn't even answer messages from woman who lived east of me,in St Paul(a bridge too far). I made an exception for my girlfriend who lives 20 miles away(but south west) because she mentioned The Replacements and Robert Johnston in her first message to me
 BretIAm
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/24/2018 9:24:43 AM
The most I have had to drive is 35 min. I don't drive that far anymore. Of course I'm limiting my options, but I'm fine with that.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 9:58:45 AM
I prefer bumping into people or tripping over them or sometimes running over them with my car and dragging them home. I don't travel to meet people unless I'm headed that way anyway.
 blackbeauty744
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 10:11:45 AM
Thirty minutes
 JGL209
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 10:25:10 AM
Ideally in my own city or the neighboring ones . I don't like the idea of driving an hour to meet someone. So 20-30 minutes max.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 10:29:13 AM
Apparently, people are into "settling" for the best they can find within 30 minutes, rather than the perfect person for them, wherever that person is.

I must have missed the memo that said the perfect person for me resides within 30 minutes?

What happens when someone moves for a job? Does their perfect person that they haven't met yet, also move at the same time?

It's the same as the artificial 75 mile limit.
You would drive 75 miles for someone "OK", but not drive 76 miles for someone "perfect" for you?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I take it on a case by case basis.
 siisaa
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 10:54:45 AM
^ good that I don't seek "perfection". I've outgrown fairy-tales.

That being said, the traffic where I live is horrible and the freeway system is trash. My range is 15-20 miles.
 BretIAm
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/24/2018 11:02:01 AM

I've outgrown fairy-tales

This sums up the reality of most peoples' lives perfectly!
 spot4username
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 2:40:29 PM
The farthest was Savannah. That's a couple hours and some change away. We had a nice little summer fling.

My dates are usually around an hour or so away since the vast majority take place in the nearest city.

If I only dated close to home I would rarely date.
Posted: 5/24/2018 3:12:09 PM
Wherever Mach Mustang lives.
 MsMicki
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 5:36:02 PM
I did the hour away thing for a few months....got old real quick when it quickly went to me being the one doing the hour drive.
No thanks....
 ozarkguy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 6:04:50 PM
I don't mind an hour's drive, but after the first few dates, if she doesn't put in the effort to make the drive once in awhile.......then that's a deal breaker. Usually you'll find that they don't put in much of an effort in other areas of the relationship either.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 6:09:12 PM
a distance of 30 min max
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 7:35:39 PM
1870 miles (3000 km) for a wonderful three weeks only to realise neither of us could move.

420 miles (675 km) One year relationship. neither had to move.

350 miles (565 km) 6 month relationship. Last time I drove there she broke up with me that same day. 350 frickin wonderful miles home that same day
 Coma_White
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2018 9:20:02 PM
My max is 7,281 km. Anything more than that is too difficult.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2018 6:13:38 AM
I don't. I don't travel for dates. I let the men come to me. I'm comfortable in my own familiar surroundings. I'm comfortable in my own town. I dated a man for 4 years that lived on the cape. He drove 2 hours to see me and 2 hours home. Never complained.
I dated another, He was near "Woostah" about an hour away . I never went to his house or town for our dates. He always brought it to me. That's what I like. That's what worked best for me... and he was very accomidating.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2018 7:11:44 AM
15,000 miles. That's my maximum distance.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2018 7:13:34 AM

I don't. I don't travel for dates. I let the men come to me.

And don't accept less. Sure, it's nice to travel to meet people, even if it's on their own dime. But, if he is asking YOU out, he meets you where you are.
 hemingway234
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2018 7:43:12 AM
I don't know mang, I get carsick real easy!

I don't. I don't travel for dates. I let the men come to me. I'm comfortable in my own familiar surroundings. I'm comfortable in my own town. I dated a man for 4 years that lived on the cape. He drove 2 hours to see me and 2 hours home. Never complained.
I dated another, He was near "Woostah" about an hour away . I never went to his house or town for our dates. He always brought it to me. That's what I like. That's what worked best for me... and he was very accomidating.

- how do you know they were not married (that said, you are a smart lady and there are other ways to tell) ?

The big problem is, long distance relationships seldom work. For every fairy tail you hear about that works, there were several thousand that did not workout.

But what is a long distance relationship? I would say a good starting point is.........if you can drive there for a date and drive back in the same day, it might not be too far.

But ultimately, the distance you will travel for your lover is something you'll have to decide.
Posted: 5/25/2018 8:38:27 AM

And don't accept less. Sure, it's nice to travel to meet people, even if it's on their own dime. But, if he is asking YOU out, he meets you where you are.

I usually meet the woman in her area if she’s not close by. Some offer to meet in the middle and I’ve had some offer to drive to my area for the first date. That shows me she doesn’t think it’s all about her.

I’ve also had first dates where we meet at one of our houses. Those are rare.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 22
view profile
History
What is your max clearance?
Posted: 5/25/2018 9:05:15 AM
I'm in the half-hour commute camp, as well (and blushing at what someone posted :) ).

I used to have my father's frequent flyer miles to cash in (prior to 9/11 and TSA), but flying into a new place to get laid for a weekend and then flying home, twice a year for vacation, well....BTDT. Its fun when you're young, I don't regret it. You see the place thru their eyes, maybe catch an event in their area that you didn't even know was on your bucket list....but there's a lot to be said for calling someone on short notice and saying, "hey, I just thought to do X, you want to join in? great, since I live a short distance away, let's go!"

And if your partner can't get ready in 30 minutes...:) I know, I know, that's not fair for the single parents. But i'm talking perfect world scenario here. that's why a half hour drive is a nice distance if you like spontanaiety everyone once in a while in a relationship.
 Coma_White
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2018 10:34:21 AM

Do you mean accommodating? Most men don't want a woman they're seeing to know where they live so that's probably why it worked out well that way.
 2ufo
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2018 11:18:44 AM
I'd go about 238,900 miles.
But I always did have a thing for astronauts.

As for driving...
I enjoy driving. After mumbly-mumble years, I've figured out to drive east in the evening, west in the morning, and avoid cities during rush hours.

ETA: But not every day.
 MizBellaDonna
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2018 11:27:21 AM
Since I don't drive myself for me it's pretty much in the same city. Even if he is willing to drive to see me (which yes is sweet) I wouldn't want him to be closer to where I live. I'd say a max of 20 to 30 minutes would be ok. For one anything further and it becomes too much of a hassle for him to make the trip (not fair to anyone) and it makes it a lot harder to see the person you really hit it off with on a more frequent base.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Bella Donna
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What is your max distance?