Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > reflective eyes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Inicia
Msg: 1
reflective eyesPage 1 of 1    
seems animal eyes reflect in light- but humans don't sure very basic science to this- however, i wonder why it is this way-protection for human- animal-classification??? any theories- i do not mean physiological reasons!
 fatatata
Msg: 2
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/13/2018 5:17:04 PM
Some animals reflect ligjt..dogs..wolves etc. But all animals? I haven't googled it but I doubt it.
 gingerosity
Msg: 3
view profile
History
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/14/2018 12:41:10 AM
It helps them see better in the dark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/14/2018 3:38:31 AM
Some animals developed reflective eyes so that they can scare humans in the dark.
 gingerosity
Msg: 5
view profile
History
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/14/2018 3:46:17 AM
It gives Jawas +1 to droid detection.
 Inicia
Msg: 6
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/14/2018 12:22:22 PM
lol- i think it helps humans detect and hunt them- i know it is an evolutionary extra film behind retina for them to capture as much light as possible for hunting(friend guido googled it- lol)
however , trying to understand evolutionary selection to continue/ and what other traits came with it to protect the nocturnal predators-
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/14/2018 4:33:39 PM
It's not evolution. The animals made it themselves. They have secret technology.
 Inicia
Msg: 8
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/14/2018 6:31:34 PM
^funny, smile

gingerosity
Msg: 9
view profile
History
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/15/2018 12:48:47 AM

trying to understand evolutionary selection

Ok, I'll spell it out.

A long time ago, there were primitive people and animals doing their things. One day, a random mutation occurred that made a person grow a small flashlight, just by chance. This helped catch animals at night who had developed especially sensitive (and it turned out, reflective) eyes to stop them bumping into things in the dark. Since the mutant was able to hunt these animals better, it was able to provide more food for its offspring who also carried the flashlight mutation. So during the long winters, the droughts, the floods... those descendents with the flashlights survived and proliferated while others didn't. This continued right to the present day, so now all surviving humans have at least 4% flashlight in our DNA.

Now don't get me wrong... the headlight mutants and the camera flash mutants also did very well. That's because there were plenty of sabre-tooth cats to go around back in those days.
 Inicia
Msg: 10
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/16/2018 6:15:48 AM
LOL- survival would indicate survival only of those mutations that prevented reflecting/revealing eyes contained in body to predator with flashlight lol...
 gingerosity
Msg: 11
view profile
History
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/16/2018 10:52:24 PM
The reflectiveness side-effect of light-sensitive eyes was not a problem until we developed night lights very recently on a genetic timescale. It has had no time to be selected against, even if it was a net negative.

But in fact it is more likely to be selected for, because of humans forcing animals around the world to become nocturnal to avoid us and survive. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6394/1232
 feirene
Msg: 12
view profile
History
reflective eyes
Posted: 6/20/2018 6:11:01 PM
I jut googled about it and found out some animals have different colours of reflection, which of course i hadn't noticed because of my boring human eyes.
 lnitia
Msg: 13
view profile
History
reflective eyes
Posted: 10/29/2018 8:33:03 AM
Wow- i have seen red-green-yellow with orange tint and bluish white-you know what until you mentioned this i had not thought of it.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > reflective eyes