Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > English language      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 10ky
Msg: 1
English language Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
While I cannae deny that I find English pretty tough, I must also admit that I find any language tough, and that has been that way since I was born. I cannae really spell was it not for the spell-checker and I've never even bothered with grammar and shite like that because I was busy doing other stuff. On here, I've been bashed a lot in the past for my inadequate use of the English language despite my best efforts. I suppose I'd be pissed off too if someone had to butcher my language although I have no direct experience of that. I have now decided to try and improve.

Would you, as native speakers, be kind enough to comment (ideally honestly) on my English and offer tips on how to improve in an efficient way (I cannae dedicate a lot of time to this unfortunately)?

If you happen to be a pretty, please let me know whether you give pronunciation lessons too.

Danke in advance. x
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 2
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/2/2018 4:20:49 AM
If you had spoken to my Mother using the words you wrote above she would have told you off.

"shite" is unacceptable. "pissed off" is not too polite either. "Cannae" is some sort of butchering of english to appear scottish. "Danke" is german.

I think you can manage english very well if you choose to.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 3
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/2/2018 5:13:31 AM
I agree with Chap. I think it has less to do with an inability to use English effectively, and more to do with an unwillingness to openly acknowledge that your wordplay is deliberately rude and childish in order to seem either humorous, or dahn wiv da kids innit. If indeed you are working on a doctorate, I'm sure any university would look down on such poor language if used in everyday speech. After all, who would take a research article seriously, written in such a way? No, I believe you're deliberately trying to look stupid for our benefit, in order to gain some kind of sympathy. News just in - it isn't working. It just makes you appear an idiot.
 squareslice
Msg: 4
English language
Posted: 7/2/2018 5:25:39 AM
you ask about English then say "Danke".... make yer effin mind up wee sac....

Calmly awaits the usuual ageist shite from the wee troll.....

Chappy, I say cannae, but it's my native dialect... not summat put on.

Also say dinnae dae that n other stuff.... Scotland has a wealth of dialects.... Ah cannae unnerstaun the Doric of Aberdeen n Vlad takes salt n sauce on his chips.... bloody heathen!

Hope ye all realise this is the troll trying to get his name on all the top posts yet again
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 5
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/2/2018 6:05:24 AM
Fair enough Square - I do understand that but putting dialect into written english is pretty impossible, I accept your choice though. One example I'd give you is Stevie Gerrard's version of Liverpudlian - something youse'll be gerrin used tae - how do you write a "K" which sounds like a throat clearance prior to gobbing into the spitoon?
 Jacknher
Msg: 6
English language
Posted: 7/2/2018 12:30:18 PM
The English language....like all the others....is a means of communication.

No matter how good your spelling and grammar are, if you still can't communicate civilly you might as well be illiterate.

And the bottom line 10ky.....is that you don't communicate civilly. So improving your spelling and grammar is a bit irrelevant really.
 10ky
Msg: 7
English language
Posted: 7/2/2018 1:00:28 PM
-Jack
Do I not, jack? Oh, well, I'm actually a 'tad' disappointed.
 billybonds
Msg: 8
English language
Posted: 7/2/2018 7:03:44 PM
Greetings from ireland...I'm coming home tomorrow. Yes, i might miss england being knocked out... have to say I find ky much misunderstood.... he's naughty... but why don't more people concentrate on their opinions rather than his after all he's just saying....also he did change pauline's opinion about him. They met up and I'm sure she expressed a physical attraction for him. Let's not rewrite history. Also this latest girl seems interested in him. Let's not be envious now. Personally I'm not interested in youngsters. I think they are saddos with their tedious gigs and their revolutionary posturing. Give me a tank top, a conservative hairstyle and a 24 carat gold coin any day. In short i believe a man should be a man.

Ps I saw pauline on sky news the other week being interviewed about her love of Theresa May. Or universal credit. Not sure which one. In fact I saw her pussy. In fact there were several. Stop it. Jo's still missing. He got banned before with chuzz and I but this one is well lengthy plus he needs a new profile. I think I am right in saying the jews were involved in his defenestration.

On topic ....it's the best language in the world ...ive been eating out every day and kitty kellys remains my favourite.....economic prognostication...it's not good ...but ...... I still haven't watched love island. ... ive got a tan ...the tarmac has melted on some roads you know...byeeezzzzz
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 9
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 2:41:41 AM
Holiday, work, family.....or have you been hanging out with Scarey too?
Have a safe journey home Billy
 10ky
Msg: 10
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 3:14:00 AM
Well, thank you for your input folk. I'm not trying to appear Scottish by using cannae. It's just that it's kind of cool/funny. I like Scottish lingo sort of. Sounds cool, yeah? (shrugs)

English or German, they're essentially the same innit? One derives from the other. Although English -just like German- is packed full of Latin vocabulary, the structure of both is Germanic, and thus they are both barbaric (i.e. of the barbarian) languages as far as I (a Roman/Greek) is concerned. The only reason why I want to stoop low enough to learn English (believe me, am not trying to be a c0ck or anything but that is the way it feel to me sometimes) is because it is the language of the *moment*. In other words, exclusively for practical reasons.

As an aside, Bond is always rather cryptic innit? Only allah knows what sort of an antikythera ticks in his skull. haha. I love the dude though. He's a good chap. He's catholic after all.
 billybonds
Msg: 11
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 6:30:55 AM
Thanks Roxy xx it's two flights on the first now ....mum ....
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 12
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 7:30:49 AM
Saying you're a Catholic means zilch. In fact, you're as far from being one as you can get, Tena. A true disgrace to that religion. And I should know...
 10ky
Msg: 13
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 7:37:18 AM
... and why's that pa? Is it cause I love t1t n arse n such? As if you don't youself, aye, pal? Can see you peeping and sniffing filthy-used panties in true Happosai style. xD xD

Oh lordy lord.. the shite you make me say on here xD xD (craps pants laughing)
 WakemanR
Msg: 14
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 9:48:43 AM
I'm pretty it's because you are, quite clearly, deranged. You actually think acting the asshat on a dating sites discussion forum is entertaining.
 10ky
Msg: 15
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 9:56:31 AM
-wake
Yet another idiot ole sheep joins the herd. Ehh. Dear allah, did you have to create ohhh so many wnkers on this planet? mopes about)

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread. Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 16
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 10:54:31 AM
Because I was born and raised within a Roman Catholic family who were heavily involved with charity in their community, had a father who trained in a seminary for two years and a grandfather who was a curate in an inner city parish. Safe to say that I know how a good Catholic should behave, and you are far removed from that.
 squareslice
Msg: 17
English language
Posted: 7/3/2018 6:33:29 PM
Chappy, just learn to pronounce Loch or Lough n the K thing will work

As for you, Orange, you may have been born in to a RC family, but you were not BORN a Catholic. Like me, you were baptised in to that religion. Against your "free will" that they like to harp on about as a get out clause when ye point out their god is all seeing and all knowing....

A wee aside... a catholic priest was visiting a hospital ward n noticed all but one patient had P above their bed... the other had RC, so he homed in on that one and sat talking to him.
The patient said, "Why bother with me, I'm Protestant? The RC means I want rice crispies... all they tims want porridge!"
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 18
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/4/2018 1:50:14 AM
That made made me laugh and reminded me of a wedding I went to in Norway (I may have regaled this before?). The reception and blessing after the wedding were on a boat heading up one of the fjords. The priest came over to talk to us, a group of 4 obvious couples. He talked about the wedding then asked the first couple how long they'd been married, They replied that they weren't. He turned to the second couple, same response, same reaction. Trying a different tack he asked if anyone was a Catholic to which my other half replied yes. He then ask how long we'd been married - I couldn't help feeling sorry for the bloke as he walked off to the bar!
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 19
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/4/2018 1:56:56 AM
Could have been worse - I could have had my weenie mutilated without my express consent...

I've since moved away from organised religion, but my education left me with a respect for other people's right to express their beliefs within humanitarian and ethical structures, and even more respect for those who practise true beneficence and active nonmaleficence, whether they be theist, agnostic, or atheist.
 squareslice
Msg: 20
English language
Posted: 7/4/2018 6:41:48 PM
Please, then, Orange, stop reacting to 10 lube as if you are comparing your pricks. Does you utterly no favours in your alleged counselling. Makes you look like a wee prick.

Chappy, my Ma was wed twice before I was 7... n 2nd time to 7 years younger... My staunch Catholic Ma had better values... divorced the first proddy cos he was a violent drunk. The second was a great choice... I paid to take his name officially afore I got wed (Scot law is diff for name changes... nae deed poll)

I miss my (to me) REAL Dad
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 21
view profile
History
English language
Posted: 7/5/2018 3:33:55 AM
^^^ The irony is always lost on you, Square, isn't it? A good friend of yours used to tell me that you were reasonable enough until you went on the sauce. I'd heed their words if I were you. I've seen the long term effects of alcohol on cognitive abilities and it isn't pleasant.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 22
English language
Posted: 7/5/2018 6:54:12 AM
^^I only became aware of alcohol induced dementia the other day.
I’d no clue such a thing existed. And can happen when relatively young.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 23
Wrote the profile well?
Posted: 7/9/2018 2:53:18 PM
I wrote the manual on how to write bullshit on profiles. So I'm reckoning unless "
x mille why "had someone else write his profile, id be pretty certain his native language is English.
 squareslice
Msg: 24
Wrote the profile well?
Posted: 7/9/2018 9:49:49 PM

^^^ The irony is always lost on you, Square, isn't it? A good friend of yours used to tell me that you were reasonable enough until you went on the sauce. I'd heed their words if I were you. I've seen the long term effects of alcohol on cognitive abilities and it isn't pleasant.

Pray tell who... you're so full of judgement, you will never make even a half decent counsellor. Try summat else,
 Jacknher
Msg: 25
Wrote the profile well?
Posted: 7/11/2018 11:41:18 AM
Speaking of the English Language..........I think the Nigerian Scammer who just messaged needs Google Translate......

Nice man, posed, want to meet new people on this site and why not find a real woman, with whom to share his life. I'm looking for someone serious and fun, desire to invest, not afraid of commitment, to share, build things for two, finally flourish with two.
If you do not know what you want, if you are not aware that you are registered on a dating site, then do not contact me, Lol. My name is not brad, George, judge or Adam, I want to clarify!

Since chance does not always make things right, I came to provoke it online!
Could someone enlighten my lantern? Is it me, or do male-female relationships really degrade themselves? Are women in their fifties and sixties, balanced, healthy body and mind etc.? are endangered?
I always hope to have the immense honor of meeting one of these existing specimens, I have no doubt.

Originally, the man was a sphere, which the facetious Zeus saw fit to cut in two; Since then, we search the world for our missing half, which is probably waiting for us somewhere (according to the founding myth of Plato). It speaks to you.
In addition, if I can define myself: a dose of humor, a pinch of charm, a hint of vivacity, a touch of sport ... we go all shaker and the result is a surprising personality! Ready to take up the challenge? I will read you with great pleasure.
Who knows what the future holds ...

What could be more exalting and restrictive than having the freedom to introduce oneself and to express one's tastes in terms of affects?
But I think we're all here to see if anyone can match who we are. Here is the list of some "small" wishes ... Smile
If you like to bask in front of the television like a pasha, privilege the rebroadcasting of one of the episodes of "Secret Story" or a football match to an exit, that the humanity and the affection
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > English language