Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Proof of Blocking Error/Bug - sorted once, but happened again      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Darren_Lucky
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Proof of Blocking Error/Bug - sorted once, but happened againPage 1 of 1    
Hi,

So I’ve been messaging two girls and we were getting on well. Then on one of the chats all her messages disappeared and all I could see was my own. I was saying things to her, like “not sure what’s happened” etc. I could see she had read my messages. I sent one with my email address so she could reply. Then all of a sudden it says I was blocked. I felt awful, but couldn’t figure out why she would do that. I was about to delete my account as I was so fed up. Anyway, then I suddenly got an email from her saying I had blocked her (which I had not!). So, after some googling I managed to find the blocked user list and she was on it. I thought, but weird. I removed her from the list. Then emailed back and talked her through unblocking me which she did. We carried on talking on Kik instead.

So that’s proof that there is some issue/bug (or malice?) here.

So then exactly the same thing happened with another girl I was talking to today. I feel like it wasn’t intentional. Of course, it may have been, but it also may be the same issue as this has literally both happened today. So bit of a coincidence.

Is there a mod who could maybe message this other girl on my behalf and ask her if she blocked me? I know it’s a bit stalky, but feel like it’s the only way I’ll know. We were getting on really well, and I’m sad that a bug in the system would end it like that.

Any help with this would be awesome.

(Of course if it was intentional I’ll accept that and move on)
 Darren_Lucky
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Proof of Blocking Error/Bug - sorted once, but happened again
Posted: 7/4/2018 12:18:58 PM
P.S. I wasn’t clear in my post: I was on her blocked list too, even though she says she had not blocked me. Like I said, we’re still chatting so it’s definite that neither of us blocked the other one. The chances of us both blocking the other person by clicking the block button by accident are a billion to one.
 ForumLurker
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/4/2018 12:27:45 PM
Believe it or not, there are no moderators in these forums. The last one left years ago.

The POF staff never reads them either, let alone responding to requests. As I have said many times, these forums are in a Twilight Zone.

As to a user accidently blocking you see message 4 by that windbag J Cash in this thread…
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16714095.aspx
He actually nailed it on the head about the probability of being accidently blocked.

Mutually being blocked by the site and not each other? That is a new wrinkle. Also extremely unlikely. Possible but again, not likely.
 ForumLurker
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/4/2018 12:33:28 PM
Mr. Lucky,
You posted as I was composing.

Another point I want to make.
If this is some type of site glitch – they are many and common – we will surely see more postings about it.

You have been here three and a half years. Like all of us, you should be used to being blocked even by ladies who you seemed to be hitting it off with.
 Darren_Lucky
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2018 1:51:19 PM
Thank you for replying. I did not know there were no more moderators. Best I can do is ask a friend to message her, but I feel maybe I won’t. I think I will leave her alone, whether or not she actually did block me or not. My reasons are solid that she did not, bearing in mind what happened earlier today: two people, neither one knowingly blocked the other and are now still chatting in a positive manner off site and both of us adamant we didn’t block the other one..

Regarding my experience here and length of time registered. I was absent from this site for many years. My early experiences were not very extensive. I can honestly say I have never been blocked because I’ve never chatted with anyone until recently. I joined up in 2014, but actually didn’t use it much at the time.

My experience earlier today may not be rare. What if it is common - a bug that somehow blocks people that could be about to hit it off? It would cause an awful lot of people to waste their time and be left scratching their heads as to why they were blocked.

Worse case scenario is the site has been hacked. Tin foil hat time you may say, but it’s a possibility. It happens to companies large and small. I’m not sure where to go from here, but wanted to let people know this is a real issue.

Thanks again for responding.
 Darren_Lucky
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2018 2:23:18 PM
Also, you say we would see more postings about it, but why would we? Most people aren’t going to know that it wasn’t a block initiated by the other person; they’d just think the other person did it, even if they have no clue why they did. Besides, a search on this forum does reveal a few people stating they were blocked in very unfathamable reasons.

I think there is a problem, but no-one has had any evidence to prove it until now. If you like I can ask the girl who it happened to the first time (the one I’m still talking to) to give her account of what happened to corroborate my story?
 Mr_J_Cash
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/5/2018 4:17:50 AM

”… that windbag J Cash…”

Lurker, I know you follow me but such sweet terms of endearment really are not necessary. I appreciate your thought though.
 feirene
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2018 5:07:14 AM

Also, you say we would see more postings about it, but why would we?

I've seen a couple recently, one by a lady last week.
 feirene
Msg: 9
view profile
History
 Mr_J_Cash
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/5/2018 5:23:25 AM
That is the same thread Lurker posted a link to in his reply to Mr Lucky above.

She did not mention a mutual block, just that the other person blocked her, which is practically impossible to do accidently.

To be fair though she may not have looked to see if the other person was on her blocked list. She may not even know how to check for users she has blocked. If the other person is on her blocked list then Mr Darn Lucky has, just as he supposed, discovered a new glitch.
 Mr_J_Cash
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/5/2018 6:27:32 AM
feirene, I have been thinking about this.

In the thread you and Lurker referenced the OP could not be having this mutual site imposed block that Much Lucky is assuming. The OP of that other thread mentioned that the person she assumed accidently blocked her was sending her messages that she could not respond to. Had it been a “mutual” block, he could not have sent those messages.

So, Mr Lucky is, to the time of this posting, the only person who has made this claim. The other posters claim is still just a claim that she was “accidently” blocked. Again, not likely.
 Darren_Lucky
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2018 6:47:26 AM
Well the mutual block that happened to me yesterday wasn’t (or at least didn’t appear to be) simultaneous. The other party, I’ll call her Mandy (not her real name) was receiving my messages, but could not respond to me. I could see she had received and read them. The blocks happened, I would estimate, about 5-10 minutes apart. So it appears that the block on her happened first, followed by the block on me. (Mandy and I are still talking off site)

Another thing I should mention is that I did actually block someone else very shortly before the above took place. It was a no photo time-waster (scammer?) offering a meet up for a quick you know what. I get a few a day and block them ASAP. And I’m certain I blocked that person and not Mandy by mistake.

I’m concerned my account has been compromised so I’m changing my password.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Proof of Blocking Error/Bug - sorted once, but happened again