Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you recommend OLD to a single friend?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Would you recommend OLD to a single friend? Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
A friend is starting to get back into the dating world. She's 48 and at the end of divorce proceedings. One of her friends suggested online dating so she created a Tinder profile for her. I saw her profile as I swiped right on her photo then thought "Hey, that was...." so I contacted her on FB to give her some advice. I feel she's a really nice person who will be in a pool of piranhas if she signs up on one of these sites.

I know someone will suggest I ask her out. I've been thinking about that and probably will. Just don't want it to be awkward if she isn't interested. We're not good friends but we talk on FB and when I see her out (graduated together). I don't even know if she'd be my type.
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 2
Would you recommend OLD to a single friend?
Posted: 7/8/2018 9:59:24 AM
Why ruin a friendship by asking her out?

Instead offer her advice!

"Would you recommend OLD to a single friend?'

NO

HELL NO

meet organically!
 grover14
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 10:26:13 AM
Sure, why not. I've met some nice women here, just not the right one. Of course, I've been way too picky. She just has to weed out the nuts and predators. You can advise her.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 10:42:15 AM
OP:
A friend is starting to get back into the dating world. She's 48 and at the end of divorce proceedings.

Tell her about the POForums---lots of free dating advice from various POVs to help her navigate her new single life.
 Coma_White
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 10:56:46 AM

Why ruin a friendship by asking her out?

Instead offer her advice!

Why? Because he's interested in her as a girlfriend, not a friend.

A friend is starting to get back into the dating world. She's 48 and at the end of divorce proceedings. One of her friends suggested online dating so she created a Tinder profile for her. I saw her profile as I swiped right on her photo then thought "Hey, that was...." so I contacted her on FB to give her some advice. I feel she's a really nice person who will be in a pool of piranhas if she signs up on one of these sites.

I know someone will suggest I ask her out. I've been thinking about that and probably will. Just don't want it to be awkward if she isn't interested. We're not good friends but we talk on FB and when I see her out (graduated together). I don't even know if she'd be my type.

I'd recommend online dating for women, but not for men. For men, it should be a last resort as most just get unanswered emails, no response if you ask to meet, and then last minute flakes when it comes time for the date.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 11:00:30 AM
LOL Endless, you overthink these things. Relax.

Yes, use POF ………..as a back up, it's free. Do some research, There are MANY options/ different sites one can use for dating. Different lifestyles, types of people and locations. Try one at a time. AFTER a breather from the divorce. Yes I highly recommend some downtime...……………..BEFORE jumping into OLD.

?Awkward? Good grief, Endless. You don't need to ask this lady to marry you! Just ask her to join you for a friendly chat, a walk in a park, a cold lemonade. NOT a date! Become reacquainted...……………...No stings attached, (LOL oops, I meant, "No strings")

Have FUN! Enjoy the day!
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 12:12:48 PM

Only if they have low blood pressure and need to raise their blood pressure level.
 ssm508
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 12:22:37 PM
I wouldn't tell someone not to use OLD. It can be used as an additional or secondary way to find dates. But I would recommend having low expectations and thick skin.
Posted: 7/8/2018 12:28:21 PM

?Awkward? Good grief, Endless. You don't need to ask this lady to marry you! Just ask her to join you for a friendly chat, a walk in a park, a cold lemonade. NOT a date! Become reacquainted...……………...No stings attached, (LOL oops, I meant, "No strings")

Thanks for the advice! If a person isn't interested, they sometimes try to avoid a someone who asked them out. When I ask someone out IRL, it can usually be taken either way unless I know she's interested too. I could mean just friends hanging out or a date.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/8/2018 1:30:26 PM
Based on my experience, no. My inbox has been empty for about 6 months. I don’t care much anyway because I’m not interested in most of my matches.
 JGL209
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 1:38:15 PM
Sure why not? This site has never failed me in finding a friend, a hook up or just someone to talk to. Love is hard to find OLD or in real life. My only complaint for OLD is that sometimes distance is a factor.
 MsMicki
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 1:48:29 PM
I say send her a message of FB saying you seen her on Tinder....and you would be honored to be her first online date...
and go from there!
if no chemistry sparks and you are put in the friend zone....then offer her OLD advise....
 feirene
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 1:58:19 PM
Hmmm interesting...
I feel she's a really nice person who will be in a pool of piranhas if she signs up on one of these sites.

And hmmminterestinger...
I know someone will suggest I ask her out. I've been thinking about that and probably will.

As to your original question. Women aren't stupid and usually not desperate enough to be conned (yeah there's some exceptions but generally they're few and far between). OLD isn't really for dating any more, it's for married men trying to cheat and flakey men who think they will be kneedeep in **** who are also not afraid to insult women for not being desperate or stupid enough to meet them. But no i wouldn't recommend any site for online interaction that is anything more than shallow unless they use niche sites.

I'd recommend it if she wants to moan about how crap men are these days and what a load of liars they are and you feel like listening to that until she gives up all faith in humanity and finally accepts that humans are the garbage of the universe and their purpose is suffering, not happiness but pain and misery and a pointless existence, and they want to extend that for some reason.
Posted: 7/8/2018 3:33:53 PM

I say send her a message of FB saying you seen her on Tinder....and you would be honored to be her first online date...
and go from there!
if no chemistry sparks and you are put in the friend zone....then offer her OLD advise....

Actually, I pretty much did that :) I told her I thought I just swiped right on her pic on Tinder then asked if was her. We made small talk then I told her I was out but could give her OLD advice later that night. I also said - In the meantime, we’ll end up on a date if you accidentally swipe right on my pic. I don't have my kids next weekend so I'm going to suggest we get together. If anything it will just be a fun night out if we go.

As to your original question. Women aren't stupid and usually not desperate enough to be conned (yeah there's some exceptions but generally they're few and far between). OLD isn't really for dating any more, it's for married men trying to cheat and flakey men who think they will be kneedeep in **** who are also not afraid to insult women for not being desperate or stupid enough to meet them. But no i wouldn't recommend any site for online interaction that is anything more than shallow unless they use niche sites.

I'd recommend it if she wants to moan about how crap men are these days and what a load of liars they are and you feel like listening to that until she gives up all faith in humanity and finally accepts that humans are the garbage of the universe and their purpose is suffering, not happiness but pain and misery and a pointless existence, and they want to extend that for some reason.

Tell us how you really feel about OLD! :)
 PollyR107
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 4:15:02 PM
@comawhite

" For men, it should be a last resort as most just get unanswered emails, no response if you ask to meet, and then last minute flakes when it comes time for the date."

It's not only women who demonstrate this flaky behaviour. Men do it as well. When I was looking to date, I had at least 3 who flaked out at the last minutes by texting me to cancel the date less than 30 mins before or just didn't answer my text to confirm the meet. I never went to meet anyone without confirming first to avoid chances of getting stood up by these male flakes.

@OP, if you're interested in this lady friend, ask her out. So that you won't have the repeated "what if" questions in your mind later on. If it doesn't work out, keep going and looking for other suitable ladies.

I wouldn't actively advertise OLD but I'd recommend it to single friends if they ask me. I have had a very good outcome, meeting my BF on here. And so far, we've been doing well. However, one must keep their wits about and take care when weeding out the incompatibles and flakes. Don't take online failures too seriously. Learn from them and be patient.
 feirene
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 5:42:00 PM

Tell us how you really feel about OLD! :)

I hate it and stopped caring ages ago. I only have a profile because i like ignoring men.
 curvylady1965
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 7:56:13 PM
I second everything feirene said about OLD.
 siisaa
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 8:09:39 PM
For me it would depend on the friend. For a friend who is more introverted, likes to spend a lot of time at home with no interactive hobbies, I would recommend OLD but like ssm said, I'd advise them to keep their expectations low and skin thick. For a friend who is highly social, passionate and has interactive co-ed hobbies, I would not recommend OLD. If they used it, fine but chances are, they wouldn't be as dependent on it. Most very social people with interactive interests/hobbies meet their partners in the real world.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 8:36:59 PM
Depends on the sex of the person.

In ether case, expect nothing to happen. Don't get duped into believing that you'll be successful if you pay to use it's site. (I was going to say service, but they aren't giving anything out. This isn't service.)

No messages to you is normal. It doesn't matter how many you send out. Don't expect any replies. What you see, you will not get. Pick a site with forums. At least, you'll have some reason to log on.

For women, figure on at least 10 men to each woman. For men, go buy a lottery ticket- the odds are better.

I'm giving you information that took me two years to learn, in five minutes. What you do with what I told you, is your decision.
I'll let you make your own mistakes.
 reverendswine
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/8/2018 11:01:09 PM

I only have a profile because i like ignoring men.

Yes, because it's impossible to ignore men without having a dating profile.

Woman logic at its finest.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 12:21:32 AM
I would never recomend tinder. POF possibly yes but I'd forewarn them that men are desperate and a lot just want sex.
If it's a male friend I'd forewarn them that women can be flakey and disinterested but to not give up.
 feirene
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 2:01:27 AM

Yes, because it's impossible to ignore men without having a dating profile.

Woman logic at its finest.

Do i have to be logical according to your logic or something? Pretty sure it's not the only logic that exists.
 from site to sight
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/9/2018 6:44:42 AM

I would never recomend tinder. POF possibly yes but I'd forewarn them that men are desperate and a lot just want sex.

Men like having sex? Who knew. I thought when men meet women at a bar or on line, or any place in public, men were only interested in the woman's thoughts on the philosophies of Socrates and Plato, and to have someone to discuss Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
 reverendswine
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/9/2018 8:08:16 AM

Do i have to be logical according to your logic or something? Pretty sure it's not the only logic that exists.

No, it's not a matter of it being "my logic". It's a *bonafide fact* you can ignore men without a dating profile. Tell me how it isn't. The floor is yours. Go ahead. I'm all ears.

Why can't you women who complain incessantly about this site just admit you still love the attention? The alternate explanations for sticking around are as transparent as cellophane and as laughable as two monkeys fücking.
 feirene
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 9:05:47 AM
I'm not interested in talking to you and even deleted my social replies that i made before i saw the rest of your stuff today. Go attack someone that thinks they need to explain themselves and you might get the arguments you want.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you recommend OLD to a single friend?