Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Racial/Ethnicity preference for profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Akeya416
Msg: 1
Racial/Ethnicity preference for profilePage 1 of 1    
Is there any way to add African-American as my race/ethnicity? I've noticed that there is an option for Caucasian (not white), Asian (not yellow), and Hispanic (not brown)...
I think it's time for POF to update their settings to keep up with the times.
 cindi_rella
Msg: 2
Racial/Ethnicity preference for profile
Posted: 7/9/2018 9:56:54 AM
The option for 'Black' is there. It may not be politically correct but you can select that.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 2:22:40 PM

Message: Is there any way to add African-American as my race/ethnicity? I've noticed that there is an option for Caucasian (not white), Asian (not yellow), and Hispanic (not brown)...
I think it's time for POF to update their settings to keep up with the times.

You are so right! POF should keep up with the times---in this age of identity politics, it's important for everyone to know from whence we all came---I'm Swedish/Norwegian American with a splash of Saami---'white' does not even begin to describe me. I really hate being pigeon-holed.Wake up POF!

Wait. Is this still a Canadian site?
Never mind.
 Akeya416
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/9/2018 11:39:16 PM
It wouldn't be stick a problem if the options for white, yellow, brown and red were there as race.
 Akeya416
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/9/2018 11:42:13 PM
I'm not "black." I'm African-American. Why do other races/ethnicities actually get a geographical heritage?
The option for Asians is not yellow.
The option for Caucasian is not white.
The option for native American is not red.
If you're Caucasian, you get to choose Caucasian...not white.
 Akeya416
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/9/2018 11:44:27 PM
*such
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/10/2018 2:54:33 AM
I'm not sure if you're aware but this website is not based in the USA.

It wouldn't make sense to have a category called "African American" because a huge number of black people on this site are NOT American.
 spot4username
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2018 3:08:04 PM
I guess I am easily amused but it gives me a small chuckle to read a person chastising a website's technical failures when said person can't even post correctly justified photos.

POF is Canadian eh AA would just be odd for all those non-American users.
 Akeya416
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/17/2018 8:21:00 PM
Hmmm, odd. Describing one's race as "black" is an American social construct.
 Akeya416
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/17/2018 8:21:50 PM
Can't, or didn't?
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Racial/Ethnicity preference for profile