Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do women want to be judged on their looks?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Do women want to be judged on their looks?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
"When you think about it they do in general and that is why they were makeup to enhance their looks, spend a fortune on clothing, haircuts, manicures, pedicures, hair waxing, breast implants, facelifts etc."
"Why do a number of women contradict themselves, by claiming they don’t want to be judged by their looks, when they go so far out of their way to not only grab the attention of men, but also compete to look better, than other women?"

"Can we all admit that, Makeup was invented for women to attract men and cover up their imperfections? Can we admit, that women do want to be judged on their looks? Can we admit that women feel the need to wear makeup to make themselves look better and attract men? Can we admit that attractive looking women can get away with just about anything?"
 cotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Do women want to be judged on their looks?
Posted: 7/17/2018 12:37:06 PM

"Can we all admit that, Makeup was invented for women to attract men and cover up their imperfections? Can we admit, that women do want to be judged on their looks? Can we admit that women feel the need to wear makeup to make themselves look better and attract men? Can we admit that attractive looking women can get away with just about anything?"

I note that you are quoting some one or some thing. Who or what?

I find it ironic that you are posting this thread but you ...
1) ... do not have a picture of yourself posted
2) ... prefer not to say what your body type is
3) ... hide your religious affiliation
4) ... have no apparent interest in seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment
5) ... are apparently very secretive about what you do
6) ... can't say if you drink or not
7) ... can't say if you want children or not
8) ... can't say if you have a car or not
... and you are concerned about women using make up to attract men and cover up their imperfections?

Makeup was invented for women to attract men and cover up their imperfections?
What about women who don't wear make up that "covers" something up ... just draws attention to (for example) their eyes?

Can we admit, that women do want to be judged on their looks?

Can we admit that men want to be judged on their looks when they post pictures in bare-chested poses or speedos?

Can we admit that women feel the need to wear makeup to make themselves look better and attract men

Can we admit that some women are quite naturally beautiful without make-up and still use it and that maybe they do it to "feel pretty" about themselves?

Can we admit that attractive looking women can get away with just about anything?"

Can we admit that men with money and in a position of power can get away with just about anything?
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 3
does this post make my ass look fat?
Posted: 7/17/2018 1:47:32 PM
in the past,when I've raised this subject, I have been told that certain women are out to impress...other women. If so, then your assessment is right, just the wrong audience is doing the judging.

"A poll of 2,000 debunks the myth that they spend hours in front of a mirror on a Saturday night to impress men.
The truth is, two thirds are trying to encourage compliments from their peers. Six out of ten women aged between 18 and 30 said they had their girlfriends in mind when they chose what to wear on a big night out. And more than a quarter said the most genuine compliments they received came from women they don’t know – not men. Yesterday a spokesman for Simple skincare, which commissioned the report, said: ‘There is an assumption that women go all out to impress the opposite sex, but this research has revealed this isn’t always the case. ‘The fact that so many women care about what their peers think of their appearance is only natural.’ She added: ‘On the whole, women are much more in the know when it comes to clothes, make-up and style, so it’s not a surprise that girls go out to impress other women as opposed to men.’
Two thirds of women believe that men say they look good regardless of what they look like and just say it as standard, without thinking. And 48 per cent of women polled actually prefer to get a compliment from a female stranger as opposed to a man. More than half of women say they have never got themselves ‘dolled up’ purely to snare a man and 22 per cent claim a man’s opinion doesn’t matter to them at all. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002391/Sorry-chaps-women-dress-impress-other.html

https://www.girlslovestyle.com/women-dress-to-impress-other-women-not-men/

https://www.bustle.com/articles/68594-who-do-we-dress-up-for-other-women-men-or-ourselves-the-great-debate
Posted: 7/17/2018 4:58:23 PM
^So u expect make-up companies, that make billons from women, to tell the truth about the reasons why women wear make-up lol"
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2018 6:45:54 PM
What about all the men who wear make up...and have through out history.
 Vannili
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2018 6:04:58 AM
Most women enhance their looks to have a nice and pleasing personality to the public.. As a woman I don't want to be judge by my looks but by my intellectual ability on how I mingle with people. I put "makeup on and to dress nicely to please myself. See here ,the Hookers attract a man by exposing their wares, is this makes sense to you ?
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/18/2018 6:44:29 AM
"When you think about it they do in general and that is why they were makeup to enhance their looks, spend a fortune on clothing, haircuts, manicures, pedicures, hair waxing, breast implants, facelifts etc."
I don't know about others, but I am older & my skin needs some hydration.

I am naturally very pale/blonde so I look washed out/ill w/o some added color. I also like my lips hydrated.

I like nice clothes, they must be comfy & machine wash- no iron & inexpensive- on sale or 2nd hand or cheap to begin with. I have no issue w/ Walmart, Kmart, Sears, Penney's or Amazon dot com/Ebay.

I spend little on haircuts or hair dyes but use clip in extensions. If they are quality (remy) they last forever & look brand new, if u take proper care of them. Much easier to camoflauge gray roots, or wash, condition & style hair that is off ur own head. At my age, the less heat damage/chemicals to my bio hair keeps it in better condition/longer. Wigs are great for special occasions, formal nite on a cruise, etc.

I find manicures at a salon painful, due to my R.A. so I use 60 second nail polish at home maybe 1x a week if that, for going out to something special.

Pedis, if done right, are like a medical treatment & I believe in reflexology, a good pedicurist will integrate that into the grooming of the toes/cuticles, etc.

I do not know about waxing being naturally not hairy.

Implants? No thank you, but if a woman has suffered thru breast cancer or feels the need who am I to judge?

Facelifts? up to the individual---I know of 1 woman who had 1 done 2 yrs ago, it made no diff IMO.

"Why do a number of women contradict themselves, by claiming they don’t want to be judged by their looks, when they go so far out of their way to not only grab the attention of men, but also compete to look better, than other women?"
I think some of it is evolutionary/subconscious & some of it is societally ingrained. I wouldn't go FAR out of my way, I'd just do my own standard of grooming

"Can we all admit that, Makeup was invented for women to attract men and cover up their imperfections? Can we admit, that women do want to be judged on their looks?" I'd prefer for a man to be attracted to me by the whole package, my intellect, looks, character as a whole, like a TRIPOD.
Can we admit that women feel the need to wear makeup to make themselves look better and attract men?

Can we admit that attractive looking women can get away with just about anything?"
Hell no, if a man allows that, he is a fool.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I note that you are quoting some one or some thing. Who or what?" agreed

"I find it ironic that you are posting this thread but you ...
1) ... do not have a picture of yourself posted
2) ... prefer not to say what your body type is
3) ... hide your religious affiliation
4) ... have no apparent interest in seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment
5) ... are apparently very secretive about what you do
6) ... can't say if you drink or not
7) ... can't say if you want children or not
8) ... can't say if you have a car or not
... and you are concerned about women using make up to attract men and cover up their imperfections?"

Hell yes, looks kinda misogynistic to me!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we admit that men with money and in a position of power can get away with just about anything?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A poll of 2,000 debunks the myth that they spend hours in front of a mirror on a Saturday night to impress men.
The truth is, two thirds are trying to encourage compliments from their peers. Six out of ten women aged between 18 and 30 said they had their girlfriends in mind when they chose what to wear on a big night out. And more than a quarter said the most genuine compliments they received came from women they don’t know – not men. Yesterday a spokesman for Simple skincare, which commissioned the report, said: ‘There is an assumption that women go all out to impress the opposite sex, but this research has revealed this isn’t always the case. ‘The fact that so many women care about what their peers think of their appearance is only natural.’ She added: ‘On the whole, women are much more in the know when it comes to clothes, make-up and style, so it’s not a surprise that girls go out to impress other women as opposed to men.’
Two thirds of women believe that men say they look good regardless of what they look like and just say it as standard, without thinking. And 48 per cent of women polled actually prefer to get a compliment from a female stranger as opposed to a man. More than half of women say they have never got themselves ‘dolled up’ purely to snare a man and 22 per cent claim a man’s opinion doesn’t matter to them at all. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002391/Sorry-chaps-women-dress-impress-other.html

https://www.girlslovestyle.com/women-dress-to-impress-other-women-not-men/

https://www.bustle.com/articles/68594-who-do-we-dress-up-for-other-women-men-or-ourselves-the-great-debate
Younger women are more malleable as a whole & more open to be exploited by the cosmetic industry. Older women like myself, as a whole, are more opinionated & set in their ways. There is also GEOGRAPHY & income level as part of the demographics of potential cosmetic consumers.
Posted: 7/18/2018 7:06:15 AM
^I am very surprised by the detail u went into n it was an interesting read TBH, but u did not need to add the copy n paste nonsense of other posters though...I can see what they wrote already lol"
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/18/2018 7:35:17 AM
"but u did not need to add the copy n paste nonsense of other posters though...I can see what they wrote already lol"

I choose how I post- not you, try to control someone else ;0P
 Better_ThanUR_Last
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/18/2018 7:45:49 AM
I think she's negging you Man OS.
 cindi_rella
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/18/2018 2:08:56 PM
Plenty of women like wearing makeup and dressing in pretty clothes even if they arent trying to attract a man. Everything a woman does isnt for that purpose. Get over yourself OP.
 MsMicki
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2018 4:32:46 PM

No...we don't want to be judged...
but we don't mind if it is noticed and appreciated if we do take some time to look and feel pretty....
Not hard to figure out that makeup was invented to enhance looks and cover up imperfections....and yes, to make themselves look better.
But where you go wrong is believing it is "only" done to attract men.

Women (and men) are like snowflakes....not one of us is alike. We all have different reasons for doing what we do.
Some go au natural (me 95% of the time), some go to great lengths with all the contouring and such....some are great at it....some not so much!!
Sally might wear makeup because it makes her feel better about herself....Nicole might wear makeup because she thinks men prefer it...Megan might wear makeup because she has freckles she wants to hide....Jessica might wear makeup because she is insecure...Janice might wear makeup because she is a powerhouse and is always in "impress" mode....every woman has a different reason for what she does.

If someone "judges" another person based on their choice to either wear make up ...or not...then that says a lot more about them then the person they are judging.

Can we admit that attractive looking women can get away with just about anything

Only if you are stupid enough to let them....
 Manofsubstance1970
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2018 10:24:21 AM
^You did not read my thread properly!!!" See below...taken from the written thread subject...."
"Why do a number of women contradict themselves, by claiming they don’t want to be judged by their looks, when they go so far out of their way to not only grab the attention of men, BUT ALSO COMPETE TO LOOK BETTER, THAN OTHER WOMEN?"
 MsMicki
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2018 12:48:26 PM
I believe your reading comprehension is the issue....not mine.
I clearly answered your question...with numerous scenarios as to why women might doll themselves up.

I take it you are only looking for answers that support your nonsense...and therefore, don't find any other answer suitable.
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/19/2018 1:14:50 PM
Once again, I agree w/ Ms.M in this thread.

I once had a co-worker who had vitaligo

And some ppl have a scar or a burn. They like to minimize such things...

Maybe lipstick makes some ppl happy

Who are we to deny happiness?
 lortaza
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/19/2018 1:33:10 PM

Can we admit that attractive looking women can get away with just about anything

Only if you are stupid enough to let them...

Give me a break....most women are very concerned about their looks...probably because they are concerned about how they are being judged by other people...men or women......and most attractive women very early on learn how to to use their attractiveness to their advantage...(opening a door with a smile so to speak)..... I agree it is stupid for men to allow themselves to be manipulated by attractive women...... but it is also understandable.
 MsMicki
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2018 3:00:48 PM

I agree it is stupid for men to allow themselves to be manipulated by attractive women.... but it is also understandable

what is understandable about it?
does it feel an egotistical need for the man and therefore it is ok?

most women are very concerned about their looks

wouldn't this be more accurate if it said..."most people"...
do you think women are the only gender that are concerned about their looks and learned how to use that attractiveness???

There is a huge difference between wanting to look presentable in public.....to caring if you compare to others level of attractiveness...
 franaza
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/19/2018 5:03:11 PM
"""what is understandable about it?
does it feel an egotistical need for the man and therefore it is ok?"""

Huh? What does innate attraction have to do with ego?

""" wouldn't this be more accurate if it said..."most people"...
do you think women are the only gender that are concerned about their looks and learned how to use that attractiveness???"""

No...because women are far more concerned than men and spend far more time at looking good before they leave the house. This is a self evident truth.
 MsMicki
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2018 5:20:55 PM
Time spent has nothing to do with whom is more concerned....
Sure, normally it takes a woman longer....mainly because she has more to contend with!

But there are just as many men that are taking time to groom themselves and decide what to wear too....
I've dated men that took far longer than myself to get ready!!
 chameleonf
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/19/2018 6:01:12 PM
Ya, I always notice how men in clubs and other public settings tend to go out to attract women and compete with other men dress in stained, smelly sweats, unshaven, bed head and extended beer bellies who aren't concerned about being judged by their looks.

If it were a different era, they'd be wearing powdered wigs, brocade jackets, lace at their sleeves, etc.

There has been a pivotal shift in male pampering culture during the last decade. Men’s toiletries used to consist of shampoo, deodorant, shaving cream and not much else. But from London to New York to São Paulo, bathroom cabinets of middle-class homes now brim with moisturizers, facial cleansers, eye serums, bronzers, concealers, anti-agers and even mud masks—all designed specifically for men.

Men have begun to spend more cash on male-specific toiletries than on shaving products. Sales of skin care, in particular, boomed; and there is no going back now. More and more men are putting higher stock into looking good. It’s about self-confidence as much as anything else, and the desire to feel more attractive, more successful, and, increasingly, more youthful.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/287643/global-male-grooming-market-size/

What's interesting to note is:
It’s about self-confidence as much as anything else, and the desire to feel more attractive, more successful, and, increasingly, more youthful.

Why would those reasons be any different for women? Or is it that it's becoming less and less "a man's world" in that they can no longer just get by on dangling money as the carrot on the stick because women are more self-sufficient and the men are actually having to compete more with men to attract women? Women may just be becoming less interested in fugly Harvey Weinsteins when there is the option to have someone more well-rounded in all areas (especially personality) instead of an unkempt slug who has heretofore got by on the size of their bank account in the various levels of socio-economic settings.
 franaza
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/19/2018 6:13:56 PM
To the extent men have been taken in using all of that garbage, I am guessing they are more victims of marketing than anything else....bring in more men, expand your product use and profit. Personally I don't know any guys who use that stuff although admittedly it is never a topic of conversation.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2018 6:46:02 PM

"Can we all admit that, Makeup was invented for women to attract men and cover up their imperfections?

Make up was invented to be used for whatever reason a woman (or any person) chooses to wear it). It might shock you to learn that it is an unspoken requirement for women to wear in many professional careers.

Besides that, make-up was originally invented for MEN, as well as women.

Can we admit, that women do want to be judged on their looks?

We ALMOST All want to be judged by our looks -- to at least some degree. Most men want to be handsome or attractive as much as most women do.

Even people who pride themselves on looking like a gangsta', biker, tough guy,, school marm, or goth spend time in giving the appearance they choose to convey.

Still, SOME women and men could care less about appearances.

Some women and men do not find womens' (or men's) make up attractive.

Can we admit that women feel the need to wear makeup to make themselves look better and attract men?

No. Because not all women need or feel the need to wear make up. Some of us do it because that's just what we've learned to do all our lives. Some do it just to please themselves. Some do it because it's a work requirement in their office.

No.

-------------

And, btw, OP -- what's the big deal about women wearing make up?
Posted: 7/19/2018 7:52:50 PM

It might shock you to learn that it is an unspoken requirement for women to wear in many professional careers.

No, it's not shocking. That isn't breaking news. That is a problem though - makeup for women has become the equivalent of wearing a tie for men. People should think about the implications if they're concerned about what men and women are valued for, and gender roles.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2018 10:03:43 AM
Well, Drink --

Exactly why are make up and neckties a problem?
It's just something else you are "supposed to do" in order to look the part.

People who don't want to "play by (all the funny little) rules" are punished in any society.

I work in an office some of the time. Wearing make up is the least of many women's worries when it comes to ridiculous unspoken rules. The Number 2 most offensive things MOST office workers feel they have to deal with are Office Politics and "Difficult" Personalities.

Most of us get that we have to look our best in order to face the public.

But Why, Oh Why!! can't we just sit at our desks, do our jobs in peace, and be left the F$#% alone! Doing our jobs is what we came to work for.

Of course laid back offices where everyone gets along do exist. Just not everywhere.

And again to the OP -- What's the big deal about women wearing (or not wearing) make up?
Posted: 7/20/2018 6:02:13 PM

People who don't want to "play by (all the funny little) rules" are punished in any society.

Well, sure. But that doesn't automatically justify anything or mean that it makes any sense. Another reality...a good reality...is that many of us try to get everyone to take a second look at all of the things that people insist should be done. And that's often a good thing.

The Number 2 most offensive things MOST office workers feel they have to deal with are Office Politics and "Difficult" Personalities.

The Human race is riddled with bad people, people at various stages of maturity and growth, and people who just plain don't know how to communicate. So, you take an environment like an office where it is the norm and requirement for people to be in closer proximity with each other and have to communicate and work together more than in many other situations...and these realities of people are much less inescapable and can have a great effect on how things work or don't work.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do women want to be judged on their looks?