Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Do you save stuff like pictures/cards from past relationships?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Do you save stuff like pictures/cards from past relationships? Page 1 of 1    
I've had two long relationships. One was 5 years and the other was 13. I have boxes full of pictures (back when we used to develop them :) ) and cards. I don't want to toss them. Probably because those women were a big part of my life. I've got rid of stuff from women I've dated for a short amount of time. They meant something to me when I received them but had no value after we stopped seeing each other.
Do you save stuff like pictures/cards from past relationships?
Posted: 7/28/2018 9:16:47 AM
I have a box full of cards and letters from a previous relationship that I've been keeping around for some reason. Was just thinking to myself the other day that I should throw them out the next time I clean up the spare room. That box use to bring me a lot of anguish when we first parted ways, now it just reminds me of a different time in my life.
 CBGB77
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2018 9:49:34 AM
I have through out most of the stuff like that except I have a photo album from about 30 years ago when I lived in Japan with my first wife.
 from site to sight
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/28/2018 10:26:46 AM
All of that stuff went to the same way as the marriage-in the garbage. Besides, I was never a momento person.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2018 2:30:30 PM
I'd toss them in an isolated box, along with pictures you don't care about but don't want to throw away, and put it in your garage/attic. If you feel or more than just a couple folks feel you're not over your Exs -- or boxing them up in the attic along with who-cares stuff is too "big" a step for you -- throw them away in the trash can.

The only pictures one should have of their ex that are readily available in a photo album nearby -- would be in family photos where they're among a large group, or pics of the kid where they're in them, too. Couples photos? Just them? Box up and put away for good (go all out trash if that's hard to do).
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/1/2018 3:06:17 PM
I have kept the most important things such as wedding pictures... they don't take up much space. There are no longer any emotions involved, so there is no compulsion to either throw everything out or sob over it.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2018 4:34:26 PM
I pitched those sometime back.

My married years, I'd like to forget.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/1/2018 6:34:13 PM
I used to, but I save a lot of things. I'd like to transfer my old family movies from VCR to DVD, but there's no one after me to watch 'em, unless whatever lawyer for the state is curious when s/he goes thru my estate. Tossing it all away would be a sense of closure, but I don't need one. They're just....things.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 9
view profile
History
I kept my ex as a friend and it's a blessing
Posted: 8/2/2018 4:49:24 AM
I have some mementos like jewelry, e-mails, tangible photos, and even some theater stubs. Some of the things I couldn't bear to keep I gave to family members, others I still have. What I value are experiences and friendships.

I have an ex-fiance who is still in my life for many years after we parted, so you could say I also have their strict friendship with an undying, unconditional love I have so much for him I want to see him happy in other relationships and enjoying life (while I keep a respectful distance, of course).
 2ufo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2018 11:33:42 AM
I save far too much stuff... as does my family. I'll probably be packing up boxes for Good Will for the next 30 years.

*sigh*
Gotta go do some more getting rid of stuff.

Very little of it is memorabilia of prior relationships
 MsMicki
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2018 2:25:45 PM
I have the dog I bought my ex for Valentines Day 14 years ago...got rid of him...kept the dog!!

I have some pictures from my marriage...
and I did keep a few things of Bart's after he passed...his favorite drum sticks...a guitar pick...and his cowboy hat that I wear occassionally....
 ssm508
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2018 7:01:04 AM
Depends. If the relationship ended on relatively good terms, then I might keep a few things in a storage box. Otherwise everything would be put in garbage.
 Tom├ísIasan
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2018 9:14:17 PM
I have a candle and a teddy bear I got one time for valentine's day that's it. No pictures no other mementos they never gave much to begin with. I have pictures of me and my kids one might be in or me and my family nothing else.
 sun___flower
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2018 9:30:02 PM
MsMicki
a guitar pick

I have a tin of guitar picks. :-)
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/6/2018 2:56:12 PM
I'm with mahwahgirl on this one,

I have kept the most important things such as wedding pictures

My wedding day was a beautiful /happy day. The wedding was in a park, 90 people attended, everything went splendidly. Our 3 layer Strawberry Cheesecake was to die for. Most pictures include other family members. I haven't looked at the pics since the divorce but I know where they are kept.
 sun___flower
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2018 4:10:04 PM
LadyInRed
Our 3 layer Strawberry Cheesecake was to die for.

I've never heard of that as a wedding cake - how original. Even your wedding cake was red! :-)
 NewYorker58
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 9:12:47 PM
I don't save cards. I have a ton of pics, because I love to take pics, and I'm always doing something, going someplace, where I'd want to take pictures. Most are scenery, and are not the exes. I'm always the trip planner. I don't want to get rid of pics of places I wanted to go to, planned and successfully executed.
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2018 12:08:11 AM
When much younger, I kept what I would call 'memories'... and even kept them 'discretely' tucked away when I was married... only for my 'then' husband to find them... and fly into a fury that I had kept them. (that was a massive red flag I missed but in my 'messed up emotional mind', I didn't know any better)
Sadly, I took a day to destroy them... needless to say, the marriage only lasted 6 maybe 7 years living together (and even that was a trial and a half) and another two for divorce...

Now-a-days... I make it clear I'm not into 'sentimental/commercial/syrupy', and I watch carefully if 'he' is inclined to 'gift' something... I'm not into 'photos' or 'records'... it's almost as if I feel that if things go south - there's less to insta-delete and shred/burn... Well, that's what happened 3 years ago because nothing has happened since then.
 cooldog65
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2018 8:25:24 AM

Our 3 layer Strawberry Cheesecake was to die for.

I would have taken an entire layer. A piece? Puhleeze!
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/8/2018 5:56:26 PM
LOL cooldog, My wedding pictures are in an album. I don't have any in files on my laptop. The closest pic I could find, https://www.wilton.com/3-tier-wedding-cheesecake/WLPROJ-10.html

The cheesecake was 5 inches thick, with additional whipped topping/frosting on the sides made to look like basket weave, and loaded on top of that, fresh Michigan strawberries. (very little gel ) The 2 lower cakes and also an additional one would feed 125 people. We had 90 guests plus bride and groom. The cheesecake was all gone in about an hour!

OMG, It was simply sinfully delish!

And yes sun_flower, I wore white with red roses on my dress. Bridesmaids wore red. I asked the cake maker for the cheesecake with strawberries because it is my very favorite sinful delight!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2018 7:07:16 AM
I have wedding pictures and vacation pictures and lots of pictures
of all of us together. I wouldn't get rid of them just because we are
divorced...those were happy times.

I don't have any pictures of anyone I've met since my divorce. I've
only had one long term relationship since then,
and I shredded any pictures I had of him/us. Ugh. Unless of course it
was a nice picture of myself...then I chopped him out.

Your wedding sounds lovely Ladyinred...and yummmmmm to Strawberry
cheesecake. I could probably eat an entire layer with just myself and a spoon.
 sun___flower
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2018 3:27:22 PM

And yes sun_flower, I wore white with red roses on my dress.

Oh LadyInRed, this sounds gorgeous!
 julystorm22
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 2:41:28 PM
I don't really have very many pictures of us as a couple, maybe one pic when I was 9 months pregnant and a couple family pics. No cards or anything. I just put the pics in a folder for my kids when they grow up.

My mom gave me all her wedding photos and pics of my parents together and mementos and stuff when I moved out. I appreciated getting them. She had no use for them and it did weird her out that I hung a family photo up in my livingroom.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Do you save stuff like pictures/cards from past relationships?