Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How serious do people believe Reality TV like the Bachelor(ette)?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How serious do people believe Reality TV like the Bachelor(ette)?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
As a guy who basically has been disconnected from network prime time TV for several years, The drivel and commentary I see regarding these dating and courtship shows is very much the same allure that Daytime TV Soap Operas had in their heyday 20-some years ago. People naming characters by first names only and stuff like that. I'm assuming the prime audience is mainly women, but I can't tell if it's both married and singles or what the true demographic of that show is all about. I see it very much like a soap opera - first and foremost: is a fictional story - with mostly very beautiful people dressed impeccably and appearing as flawless as possible, only to break down into emotional messes on-cue.

Do younger generations believe this kind of appearance or behavior is supposed to be the new 'standard' for dating in our culture? Sure seems like there are plenty of my Gen-X'ers and older getting glued to the TV sets every time ABC puts another piece of meat up for ratings. What kind of impact has reality TV caused to people and their social connections and beliefs? How has Movies and TV twisted your image of a happy couple? Are you willing to admit it HAS been changed?
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How serious do people believe Reality TV like the Bachelor(ette)?
Posted: 8/7/2018 3:20:46 AM
Shows like that are insipid, vapid, unmitigated mind garbage that shouldn't be allowed to broadcast its shit. It's garbage. People use it as mind candy to get their feeble minds off of the reality that our country is going down in flames (and reality, in general) -- even worse.

I don't know any Generation-X'ers that worship this crap.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 4:40:42 AM
Hey Buddy, quit dissing the soaps! At least they give employment to real actors and writers and have actual story lines and intricate plots.

It's 'apples and oranges' as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, lots of fires out west. Does not mean the whole country is going down in flames~
 Tom├ísIasan
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 5:02:06 AM
Never seen any reality t.v. show unless you count edt.v. back when it came out. I watched shows that were filmed in front of a live studio audience though once upon a time.

I want reality t.v. I actually go outside some real good stuff happens all kinds of action, drama, love story, heartbreak just some great stuff to observe and it all happens at my place of work. I chased thieves had a lady who didn't like opinion on something throw shit at me and threaten my job cause well that's what they do when you negate their shit. They ignore facts like you weren't there to buy anything just to cause a dramatic scene to begin with. No employer in his right mind is going to fire an employee when the lady has been showing up for the last 12 weeks and bought 2 packs of gum on a deal in all that time cause she can't afford anything else.

Watched 2 people meet fall in love which ended in heartbreak and hatred such an interesting and sad tale of life you should hear how it played out brings tears to the eyes.

Did I mention the police chase car crashes or fires that 48 people lost their home such a tragedy, I see how people are so wrapped in their t.v. world now trying and live in the real world for awhile.
 spot4username
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 6:02:17 AM

I can only speak for myself. I have never watched any of those sorts of shows. In my circle of friends no one watches them.
 LoveOnAShip
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/7/2018 7:44:51 AM
I don't have cable TV anymore.

I got one of those TCL Roku Tv's and watch stuff for free or on Amazon Prime.

You wanna see real crappy trash? Rock of Love with Bret Michaels.

Heard there was a guy in the forums who stole Bret's extensions...bwa ha ha!
 daynadaze
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 9:34:21 AM
LOL. Come on, you cannot gage someone's intelligence or morals, etc., by what shows they do or don't watch. You aren't a better or worse person if you read or play games or hike or fish, people from all spectrums enjoys different things, why box them into little prejudice cubes. I happen to like several reality shows, while I can't stand other reality shows, never once have I believed that these shows are about my actual life. Most people go on these shows to win money, get exposure, and maybe meet someone. There have been reality shows on TV as long as there have been TVs. When I was was a child there was Queen for a Day, the contestants had to cry, wring their hands and tell the audience how absolutely awful their home life was so they could win a refrigerator or a washing machine. Right now I am watching The Price Is Right, what does that say about me?
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 10:22:49 AM

Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I constantly look out my front window to see if any limousines full of gorgeous women looking for a rose have pulled up in front of my house.
The roses keep wilting.

How has Movies and TV twisted your image of a happy couple?

"I wish that I had Jessie's girl
I wish that I had Jessie's girl
Where can I find a woman like that?"
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/7/2018 10:23:07 AM
I never watched either show until last month. I decided to check it out on youtube and watched a little. Looked very fake to me. Something like early nineties soap operas.
 hemingway234
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 11:51:36 AM
Reality shows have deteriorated over the years. The people in them are heavily coached, and the things are scripted.......the people can be seen as amateur actors.

One of the original shows I liked was Blind Date, it was very real. it's available on youtube. Watch how some of the guys are crude and talk about sex too much early on, and how many are generally too easy, pushy and fast. It's a huge problem in today's dating world, turns women off real fast. If some of these guys were more sophisticated and acted like a gentleman and keep the jokes clean, they would have landed the girl.

If you use your intuition/gut feelings/radar, you can tell how some of the dates are going to go within seconds of opening the door.......sometimes the attraction is just not there from the very beginning.

Some of the women are not the catch of the day either.......one woman was farting and yawning throughout the date - how gross, lol
 CBGB77
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 12:00:22 PM

Posted By: Clytemnestra on 8/7/2018 642 AM
Subject: How serious do people believe Reality TV like the Bachelor(ette)?
Message: Hey Buddy, quit dissing the soaps! At least they give employment to real actors and writers and have actual story lines and intricate plots.

I miss Dark Shadows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpr6IfYW5Lg
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 12:13:41 PM
FITL wrote:
Shows like that are insipid, vapid, unmitigated mind garbage that shouldn't be allowed to broadcast its shit. It's garbage. People use it as mind candy to get their feeble minds off of the reality that our country is going down in flames
We don't agree on much but this one we do. Most of pop media serves the same purpose, but basically these shows are just another opioid to keep the populace too distracted and numbed to notice that they're being ripped off by politicians and financiers, and that the American middle class is losing power/weath to said politicians/financiers courtesy of globalization and deregulation.

I do make a distinction between the "Bachlorette" type shows and the contest shows, i.e. "The voice," the "Idol," shows, "Dancing with the Stars," etc. At least these, most of the time, showcase true talent. I do see some value on these.
 moraima
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 3:51:11 PM
Bachelor(ette) bored me to tears for the couple of episode I watched part of.

Now Big Brother (Canada or US)...................I confess to being a superfan.
Team Tyler and Sam!
 MsMicki
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 4:30:03 PM
I find them to be entertaining...just like any other show on TV.
I don't watch a lot of TV....but when I do...it is so I can de-stress from "my" reality....

and I'm right there with Moraima...I'm a Big Brother fan!!
 five-marie
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 5:48:09 PM
I watched The Bachelorette once, years ago, after listening to co workers carry on about it. Saddest show I ever saw. All these women crying and upset because they believed they'd be the one.
Only reality show I watch is Big Brother. Was a big fan when it first came out, with real people appearing on it. Then it became full of star wannabe's and no one believable. This season seems to be more like it was when it originally came out.
People watch anything that will let them forget their/the world's problems for a little while. Nothing wrong with that.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 6:28:38 PM

One of the original shows I liked was Blind Date, it was very real. it's available on youtube.

I remember that - from the early 1990s I think. Yeah, the people on there were definitely a lot less artificial than the crap out there right now. Had plenty of crazy ups and downs and used cartoon "think" bubbles to enhance the drama instead of priming the contestants to cry on cue. It was still a little fake in the sense they condensed a date down to a half dozen sound bites and vignettes - but at least if they stuffed their bra or stuck a sock ball down their pants, it was their OWN doing - not planted by some professional "Image Consultant".
 daynadaze
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 7:31:11 PM
Big Brother fan too, most seasons I hate them all, but that is part of the fun. This season I am finding Tyler really interesting, and JC seems to be a good player too. No one is paying much attention to JC, he could steal this fron Tyler.
 ssm508
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 8:14:05 PM

One of the original shows I liked was Blind Date, it was very real. it's available on youtube. Watch how some of the guys are crude and talk about sex too much early on, and how many are generally too easy, pushy and fast. It's a huge problem in today's dating world, turns women off real fast. If some of these guys were more sophisticated and acted like a gentleman and keep the jokes clean, they would have landed the girl.

I did watch Blind Date in the 1990s and early 2000s. It was unintentional comedy watching people say and do dumb things on a date. I also watched Change of Heart around the same time period. It was a show where a couple was matched with singles and went out on their respective dates. A man would go out with a single woman and his girlfriend would go out with a single man.

Most of the time both people in the relationship would decide to stay together. But occasionally one person in the relationship would decide to stay together and the other person would have a "Change of Heart". I rarely watch the current reality shows.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/7/2018 10:29:08 PM
I don't believe today's reality shows to be real. Not at all. I've watched Love and Hip Hop, Real Housewives, etc. They're scripted, often poorly. My favorite reality show of all time is Cops because it's a true reality show. I think I bought all seasons available for sale, and now watching whatever earlier ones I can find on youtube with the awful quality. I like Cops more than its later versions such as Live PD and Police Women of Dallas, because the officers act more regular, they don't try to act like rock stars (which happens sometimes, not always, on the other shows). The show is very educational, and it's always comforting to see someone be a bigger moron than me. People get loud with officers, telling them what they can and can't do and are wrong? Nooooooo don't do that, you are SO not getting a break now.
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2018 11:56:00 PM
nope... bad scripts and chronic editing spoiled reality TV for me...
I will admit, I do have a tendency to gravitate towards the 'legal' shows (border securities and roadside cops)... as I'm trying to show my teen son about choices and decisions in life (let's face it, 'generally', most of the folks pulled over are male...) and how choices made when young, affect you later in life...

but I don't for once believe these 'bachelor/ette', 'MAFS', 'insta romance' 'build-a-house-in-a- week' or 'big brother/losers' numbers are actually 'real'...
I guess they just feed more of my cynicism...
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2018 4:29:47 AM
^^^those 'build a house in a week shows'<<<
I had to quit watching those 're- do your room/house/life' shows---I got depressed that it took me sooooo long to get any project done. They made it look so easy with their professional crews, speeded up photography, etc. while here I am plodding along by myself trying to figure stuff out. Certainly not any part of MY reality~ ;-(
 sun_water
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/8/2018 6:24:08 AM
I watched some reality shows such as the Apprentice and the The Biggest Loser. Never got into the Bachelorette.
 from site to sight
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/8/2018 7:03:30 AM

hose 'build a house in a week shows'
I had to quit watching those 're- do your room/house/life' shows..

What gets me about the re-do your house shows is, when the host/contractor asks the homeowners what kind of money are they giving for renovations, and they say $60, 000, $70,000 or higher. Who has that much money sitting around to be used for house renovations?
 CBGB77
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2018 8:06:53 AM
Seems like every time my girlfriend comes over my house we end up watching "Naked and Afraid" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De0XSVHLRBU
 CBGB77
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2018 8:11:11 AM
I was in the pool! I was in the pool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcovHHOCtpQ
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How serious do people believe Reality TV like the Bachelor(ette)?