Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Concussions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
ConcussionsPage 1 of 1    
I recently had a concussion, and am having a bit of a struggle. I was hoping to hear some of other people's experiences with the symptoms. I know concussions are common and no big deal to a lot of people. I thought it might be of some comfort to know that some people out there have had similar struggles to mine, and eventually fully recovered. Thanks much.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Concussions
Posted: 8/12/2018 5:10:39 AM
Sorry to hear you're struggling, Whatsmattababy<

I've gotten wonked on the head more than a few times in my life. Mishap and misadventure, not by another human. 'Saw Stars'---I remember thinking one time, 'this is like in the cartoons, where the little birdies fly around the hapless characters head'---funny, but not.

Each time I was more or less alone and not anywhere near a hospital, so never got checked out. I remembered instructions to 'stay awake, check pupils' so tried my best to do just that. No after-affects as far as I know,but I guess I'd have to ask other people who knew me if I was 'dingy-er' than my usual.

What happened to you? Hope you're OK~
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Concussions
Posted: 8/12/2018 12:49:01 PM
Thanks for your response. I am okay. Sometimes I thought I wouldn't be though. For the first few weeks I couldn't read or hear noises, or even think without getting headaches. The worst was this persistant fear that I'd never get better and be able to do my job again. And then the weirdest thing: stress symptoms. I felt like I couldn't breathe, even though I knew it was psychological. Still dizzy sometimes. Still a bit paranoid, feeling like my associates at work are thinking I'm crazy. Still not one hundred per cent at work, but getting there.

I just can't help wondering if I'm a bit of a wimp.

But some humour for anyone who might be reading this: It happened while I was riding a Segway. I don't remember it, and nobody saw what happened. I remember being on a Segway, then in an ambulance. I remember telling someone my age was 32, and then thinking that can't be right. And then in the hospital trying so hard to remember something important I had to do, and then remembering (no joke) I was supposed to be hosting a little workshop on brain injury, with a facilitator coming to educate some teenagers. Ironic?

I was wearing a helmet when it happened, but my head must have hit the ground first because I had no other injuries.

Maybe I really was being a bit of a wimp, I don't know.
 hottasht
Msg: 4
Concussions
Posted: 8/13/2018 8:19:25 AM
^^^^ you need to understand what a Concussion is... it is your brain, floating in fluid..striking the inside of the skull...which is not smooth as some might think. You will probably be fine...but....people do suffer "traumatic brain injuries" from concussions. If you have issues with headaches...or memory or even personality change..you need to get to a neurologist for evaluation, maybe even to a neuro-psychologist for testing...to see if you possibly have more injury than you think. good luck
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Concussions