Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is Attending University Necessary?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is Attending University Necessary?Page 1 of 1    
I think not
Now that interweb elements have expanded or matured, can not almost any subject be studied from home?
I think that it can
Even so, there'll always be those fields of study that are so important to a country that it could be dangerous to share them with non-nationals &c. But such strategic matters, which ought to be removed from university education, could be taught solely at state-run residential institutions, such as a military college. And that should leave the rest of us to become, as an enthusiastic amateur, a scholar of nearly anything. For example, many mathematical topics are each covered so well on YouTube that, say, the Fourier Transform is explained better there than at any university; and many UK physicians, on being presented with a baffling syndrome, will turn to Wikipedia etc
By studying more efficiently, the costs thereof could be reduced to near nil. And though it may upset those whose interests are vested in the continuation of the conventional system, the benefits would soon appear. That pernicious imposition on society, the seldom-repaid 'Student Loan' could be retired; and students, in general, would come to be more responsible
 LovingLoner2
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is Attending University Necessary?
Posted: 8/11/2018 7:22:45 PM
It never was necessary, as you could always visit university libraries and read all the texts books for free.
 hottasht
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/13/2018 8:29:57 AM
^^^ its necessary, at least in the US...for the credentials if nothing else. It is well established that those with 4 year degrees, then 2 year degrees earn far more money and face much less unemployment than those with merely a highschool degree or less.

What is not necessary is going to a private expensive University . Two years of community college and than on to a State School will serve most people very well.

Plus, sure you can learn things on your own without attending a University, but the typical person who does not attend a university will make little effort to learn anything other than what they need for their job...
 DDSearle
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2018 12:01:12 PM
The interweb's expansion has coincided with better access to books. For example, before twenty-five years ago it was as though a big deal to buy a book. Fiction was governed by fashion, such as that of no end of stories about an 'artist' that acquires the AIDS virus; and non-fiction, an 'understanding' between 'academics', publishers and examination-boards. A lecturer would be paid generously to write a textbook and the publisher would make a payment to the examinations-board or its members so that the board would insist that students of a particular curriculum predicate their learning on none other than the contents of that publisher's expensive book, on which the examination questions would be based. Many textbooks are poorly-written
But nowadays, books are considerably more affordable. And students can choose their preferred means of learning. And it is possible to research which would be the better means of studying
Another corruption is that employers, which tend to be university graduates, specify that their firm's employees each be a graduate. For potential employees that are not as formally-accredited, this is an unfair and vicious circle
 ployster
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/13/2018 12:32:12 PM
^^^ there is nothing unfair about an employer demanding a degree. Far more often than not, those who attend Universities are more intelligent, more curious, more ambitious, and better educated than their non university competitors. A University degree is a filtering mechanism. How is it possibly unfair to seek people who are better qualified for a position.

Now if your are talking about server jobs, hospitality jobs...yea a degree may not signify anything... and sure Gates didn't complete college, etc.... but those people are rare breeds. Intelligent, smart people will tend to do better regardless of their schooling, but the degree is a tool that helps get them on their way... gets them their first jobs to begin with.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/14/2018 2:01:55 PM
25 years ago it was normal to buy between 6 and 20 books a year at £100 to £400 for each year at university.
Anyone with a particular interest or hobby would get books about it, whether Astronomy, Photography or Railways. The explosion in web I think has dramatically reduced demand for books. The younger generation hardly read a book even at school. I did a short college course a couple of years ago and was amazed by the younger students willingness to use internet sources to reference their essays and assignments. I was able do to almost all my assignments using books I had on the subject and a few from the library. But you can't do that now as public libraries are closing or drastically reducing opening hours, and fewer people now have their own collections of books.
 abbara
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/15/2018 7:53:40 AM
Public libraries still open where I am, but yea, college textbooks outrageously expensive. Still going to college much better than not going.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is Attending University Necessary?