Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Science Says Finding Your Soul Mate Is Basically Impossible      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CBGB77
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Science Says Finding Your Soul Mate Is Basically ImpossiblePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So Let's Just All Give Up Right Now
"You don’t need me to tell you that finding your soul mate can be, well, a little difficult — science can tell you instead"

https://www.bustle.com/articles/41818-science-says-finding-your-soul-mate-is-basically-impossible-so-lets-just-all-give-up-right
 CBGB77
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Science Says Finding Your Soul Mate Is Basically Impossible
Posted: 8/15/2018 4:33:09 AM
I just love that gif "Just because some cute girl loves the same bizarro crap you do,that doesn't make her your soulmate".
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2018 1:13:13 PM

I cringe every time someone brings up that old saw 'There's a Lid for Every Pot'

Human beings are not cookery sets. Give that one a rest.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 3:46:30 AM
I have three "soul mates" that don't involve romance or sex. I love these people unconditionally without expectations and without expecting anything in return (but they willingly and unconditionally love me, too - such a gift).
 purplerider1200
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 5:50:29 AM
I never bought into this soul mate business. Think about it for a minute. A soul mate would have the same experiences, lifestyle, and views that you have. It wouldn't take long for you to get bored with the conversation.

Soul mate, is sort of a buzzword. One that puts you in tune with the rest of the world. I learned to to despise those, and never use them. Like, awesome. (Nuts! I can't even spell it right) Turbo was another dumb one. Chill out. ( yuck!) Homies. The latest- the dark side, or web.(P.U.) Want to make yourself sound dumb in my mind? Use those in the course of a conversation. There's zillions of words to use, why use those that everyone else does?
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 9:00:00 AM
I think extended healthy lifespans - and the ease of finding others on the internet - redefine "Soul Mate." The prospects of having potentially at least a couple decades of healthy living at at age 50 tests the human urge for variety in their lives. The internet makes that satisfying that tendency easier.

In the past, people were more sick and broken down at 50, and died earlier, so they were in no position to look for another mate, even though they were tired of their current one. If Sally at the Post Office wasn't interested, you just hung onto what you had, out of necessity. Not to mention social mores against divorce.

Personally, I think "soulmates" and marriage (outside of providing a stable framework for raising kids) is an anachronism in the modern age.

Everyone and everything is much more replaceable now. Including "soulmates."
 2ufo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 10:13:57 AM

Soul mate, is sort of a buzzword.

I've always thought of words like that as 'shortcut' words or 'donut hole' words. (Donut hole coming from the idea of you can't explain/ don't remember/ word doesn't exist for what you're trying to explain so you explain around the concept). Simply a quick and easy communication mode.

The problem becomes when people mistake the idea for the object.

To me, the idea of soul mates is more complicated than a simply tab+slot or statistical analysis of 1 person meeting a totally random person out of 1 billion equally anonymous people. It includes brushes of reincarnation, personal gravitation towards like interests, synchronicity at work, quantum mechanics... and all sorts of other interesting things.
 from site to sight
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/17/2018 10:44:22 AM

True. If someone thinks they found their soulmate, and the couple gets divorced/break up, do they still consider the other person their soulmate? I never heard someone who considers their ex as still being their soulmate. That means soulmates are as disposable as dirty diapers.
 CBGB77
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 1:09:00 PM

Posted By: From site to sight on 8/17/2018 1222 PM
Subject: Science Says Finding Your Soul Mate Is Basically Impossible

True. If someone thinks they found their soulmate, and the couple gets divorced/break up, do they still consider the other person their soulmate? I never heard someone who considers their ex as still being their soulmate. That means soulmates are as disposable as dirty diapers.

Or worse yet: what if your soulmate dies before you and you meet someone else? You are gonna have alot of splain'n to do in the afterlife.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 1:39:28 PM
msg#10:
Or worse yet: what if your soulmate dies before you and you meet someone else? You are gonna have alot of splain'n to do in the afterlife.

"But Baby, I was high---don't count if you're high"~

hahahaha
 julystorm22
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 4:04:35 PM
I think people can have several soulmates. Its like for every 100 people, there's maybe one person that you would mesh really well with. And I think people give up too easily on someone in times of trouble rather than sticking it out and figuring it out. Most strong couples in their 60s and older will say they had hard times too but they stuck them out and got over them.
 MsMicki
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 7:34:54 PM
Sigh....my soulmate existed in the form of my best friend...
32 years of true and pure friendship...
Been gone 3 1/2 years now....and I can still her the sound of her giggle...and the beauty of her voice when she sang...

Never met a man that made me feel the depth of love I felt for that woman...
I have met a man that makes my soul happy and content....and I am good with that.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Science Says 1% Like It Anal on Camera; 6% off Camera
Posted: 8/21/2018 8:45:13 PM

I never bought into this soul mate business. Think about it for a minute. A soul mate would have the same experiences, lifestyle, and views that you have. It wouldn't take long for you to get bored with the conversation.

Well, it's a soul Mate -- not a doppleganger that shares the same soul. Reminds me of the "Twisted Sisters" strippers who make out on stage...

I agree with the basic concept that an Very Ideal Match is hard to find. For most. It's harder to find later in life, because I believe we're more hardened + more people are taken (even if not happy in their LTR/marriage). We'll change With someone, so our compatibilities & how we flow will evolve with them better when younger, than older.

But YMMV based on who/how you are. There is not "the one", but they Become "the one" after you've gotten to know each other. Which ones in which that can happen? Timing plays a role too. Essentially, if one wants to find someone who "fits" high-potential of becoming "the one" -- I would say get to know a lot of (social) people as your main aim.
 LovingLoner2
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Science Says norwegianguy456 Likes It Anal on Camera
Posted: 8/23/2018 4:36:08 PM
Science?
Illogical.
You can't predict or calculate love.
 beercookies
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2018 10:08:31 PM
Who said a soulmate was so literally one person for life? I think it just means for the person valuing the idea--usually a woman, sometimes a guy, that the love has an intensity that feels rare, deep and meaningful and is transforming-maybe you feel understood and accepted in a way you never had before, etc...

Being that rare wonderful connections are unique, one can have more than one soulmate, if lucky, and the character of the relationship will differ. The thing they may share is the transformative nature and depth of connection.

Most so called relationships are half assed, people are rarely constant and selfless, but those type of traits could be signs of such a deeper bond.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2018 12:55:31 AM
I refuse to disbelieve in the idea of soulmates, sounds magical
Poems, stories, songs....if they’re willing to go there....I’m on for the ride :)
 CBGB77
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2018 9:06:55 AM

Posted By: RoxyMoronic on 8/24/2018 231 AM
Subject: Science Says norwegianguy456 Likes It Anal on Camera
Message: I refuse to disbelieve in the idea of soulmates, sounds magical
Poems, stories, songs....if they’re willing to go there....I’m on for the ride :)

My girlfriend of 4 months says I am her soulmate
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Science Says Loner Sports a Boner on Camera every Tuesday
Posted: 8/24/2018 12:31:44 PM

Science?
Illogical.

All "science" is, is a method of being accurate. It's a method that's the antithesis of illogical...

You can't predict or calculate love.

Well, depends on what you define love as, as it has it's varying definitions. But once honing in on one definition, sure, you can. Just because something isn't exact, doesn't mean it can't be measured at all. And what about those people who say "We love each other more and more each day"? You should say to them "You can't calculate love, you dimwits!" :) After all, if you literally can't calculate something -- which means on ANY level in ANY way -- then you cannot increase or decrease "it". :)

And I could predict you would NOT fall in love with someone I'd throw at you. And I could predict you'd have strong feelings for a gal in an experiment (if I could find said gal; would need lotsa $$) to date you who would have a great personality+looks, where you'd fall for her (hitting a definition of 'love').

It's just that you can't Always -- or most of the time -- predict it on a 1st date, of course. I totally agree there. Because you're basically at that point trying to guess who's going to win the Conference before the season's started. Too difficult too early.

Who said a soulmate was so literally one person for life?

I agree, it's silly childishness to Literally think that.

Most so called relationships are half assed, people are rarely constant and selfless, but those type of traits could be signs of such a deeper bond.

I would say "half-assed" is a little exaggerated when it comes to most Relationships that work out. I would instead say most are not what one would call "soulmates" even though many that are not felt that way to some degree in the honeymoon phase. But there are true lock-in Relationships where they are truly meant for each other. But since that is very hard to cum by, people "settle" -- because settling-down isn't "settling" to them, but something they want, with someone they can get along with and be more-than-platonic roomies/buds with.

My girlfriend of 4 months says I am her soulmate

It's called the Honeymoon phase. It may pan out that way, but unless you've known each other before all this for some time, it's just an estimate-felt-true (which is common).
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 20
Science Says Texas has millions of empty KY jelly jars in the trash
Posted: 8/25/2018 6:39:31 PM
Twin Flames: is a person who you are destined to feel connected to on a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual level. Your twin flame represents your friend, lover and teacher in this life. He or she is the catalyst of your spiritual growth and the mirror of your deepest desires, needs, and fears. Your twin flame will reflect back to you all of your inner shadows, but also your deepest beauty and greatest strengths. In this way, your twin flame helps you to access tremendous emotional, psychological, and spiritual growth.

It has also been popularly suggested that twin flames stay together for entire lifetimes. Connecting deeply with another person doesn’t necessarily guarantee that you will stay with them forever – this is dependent on your own level of conscious development and that of your twin flames. Also, in the spiritual community most people suggest that we only have one twin flame in our lifetimes. Such a belief stems from the origins of the concept of “twin flames” in Plato’s The Symposium dialogue which indicated that humans originally had two faces, four arms and four legs. Because of this, humans were once so powerful that they threatened to overpower the gods, so the mythic god Zeus split them in half. However, it is said that once we discover our other “half” again we are filled with a profound sense of wholeness. Whether this explanation of twin flames is out-dated or not is up to you to decide.

It is common for us to get really excited about meeting our “twin flame.” However, sometimes this jubilation results in romanticized projection, meaning that we paint an idealized image onto another person that might not be returned or welcomed by them resulting in severe disillusionment. Also, when we suffer from low self-esteem and a lack of self-love, it is natural for us to try and find a kind of needy acceptance outside of ourselves (hence the projection), so be careful of infatuation and idolization. Your twin flame is certainly not perfect – just like you.

CBGB77
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Science Says Texas has millions of empty KY jelly jars in the trash
Posted: 8/26/2018 12:45:57 PM
Two of Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfBdGT4dn4E
 LBJfan600
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2018 8:22:47 PM
in order to believe in soul mates you have to believe in a higher power
 Ñíçéßóý
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2018 5:28:05 AM

Such a belief stems from the origins of the concept of “twin flames” in Plato’s The Symposium dialogue which indicated that humans originally had two faces, four arms and four legs. Because of this, humans were once so powerful that they threatened to overpower the gods, so the mythic god Zeus split them in half.

Interesting stuff. I don't know what to think of this because modern depictions of Zeus are always in human form.

I believe the idea of a soulmate is embedded into the human psyche. People know it without ever being taught, so the classical (ancient?) Greeks couldn't have been the first ones come up with this.

For someone like me who's been romantically neglected his whole life, my belief in a soulmate has been essential in getting me through times of great loneliness. During those times I think to myself: if I'm this lonely right now, imagine what my soulmate must be going through. This is just one reason why I only like women who are completely alone in the world like I am.

Beyond that I envision that my soulmate would be harmonious to me in a way I can't even describe & would have trouble identifying. Someone who in a mutual moment of clarity I find out I share a divine connection with, as if we're both very last of our kind.
 Tech30
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:11:19 AM
: I never bought into this soul mate business. Think about it for a minute. A soul mate would have the same experiences, lifestyle, and views that you have. It wouldn't take long for you to get bored with the conversation."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you're very wrong.
While I dont personally use the word soulmate, my wife does . We both have similar experiences in life , but at the same time they are very different. We both travelled a lot but in different ways. She was travelling for work and I was moving with family.

We have both had similar experiences in relationships , we have similar ideas and thoughts but also see things differently and make each other see the same thing from a different side.

Conversation doesnt get boring as we talk a lot and always have different things to talk about.

As for people being disposable today.... thats only if you have the attitude making you think people are disposable. People are veryselfish and only think of themselves so when someone else doesnt meet your needs anymore its easy to get rid of. Though there are still people who arent like that, that actually dont want to just ditch people the moment they get bored or the other person cant give them stuff anymore.

Finding people disposable is a trait of selfish people.

There are people who fit so well that youd think soulmates are a real thing, the problem is that people try to force it too often even though you arent compatible. Then when things go bad you think "huh maybe she wasnt my soulmate" Mistaking a non soulmate for a soulmate doesnt mean they dont actually exist
 Carnival_Fishing
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:28:42 AM
In places/religions that have arranged marriages, do the parents believe they are hooking up their son/daughter to their soul mate, when they choose who their son/daughter is going to marry?

Most people find the concept of arranged marriages very bazaar, but the standard way of finding a life mate isn't working that well either-with about half of marriages ending in divorce-including the people who thought they found their soul mate..
 browneyesboo
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:57:39 AM
Well, even if you do believe in soul mates or a "lid for every pot",
what if your mate or pot lives in another country...how will you
ever find them?

I think it's mostly luck.
That and the quality of your snacks.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Science Says Finding Your Soul Mate Is Basically Impossible