Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > a pointless wail about the lack of soundproofing in dwellings      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 1
a pointless wail about the lack of soundproofing in dwellingsPage 1 of 1    
Yet again I find myself serving 5 days "at my employers pleasure" in yet another hotel room that has rice paper for windows and air bricks for party walls.
It is proven that inadequate sleep does cause poor health, it's not just a nonsensical claim of the most idle. So, why is it that the majority of dwellings have inadequate sound proofing?
Here's a scenario. Person denied sleep last night has to go to work today. Driving their 32Tonne truck they have a momentary loss of concentration which results in them ploughing into a BMW driven by a house builder. The car driver is seriously injured and dies 2 days later...
Police reckon that at least 10% of all accidents are caused by or significantly attributable to tiredness.
In fact after several high profile crashes over the last 15 years, the police have become more willing to investigate a driver's alertness, and prosecute if there is evidence of tiredness as a factor.
So, under the health and safety act, should anyone erecting a dwelling take all reasonable steps to ensure that all sleeping areas have adequate sound proofing from all other areas? Tiredness is implicated in various conditions including heart disease, diabetes, depression and other mental health issues and even cancers.
Contrary to the usual suspects of lack of exercise, high fat diets, high carb diets, bad genes, poverty, hormones or thyroid problems, it is believed by an increasing amount of experts that obesity can result from tiredness. The logic is simple: you feel tired, you eat something to pick you up. You're not actually hungry, or in need of food, so the extra food you eat goes to fat in your body because as you're tired you're hardly likely to run it off. You later feel even more tired because the energy boost wears off, so you eat more. And so on, until you put weight on, feel tired more of the time, do less exercise, and start to develop pre-diabetes.
Tiredness is also bad for the economy as tired people can't work as hard, they make more mistakes at work, and end up taking more time off sick. They also aren't as creative in work, so fewer great ideas originate.
Tiredness is also obviously bad for the economy if people have more accidents, have you never dropped something, or slipped or banged against something while tired? How many hospital admissions are attributable to tiredness rather than alcohol? It would be ironic if new research revealed that there was more accidents etc caused by tiredness than by drunkenness.
So does it in the end analysis make good business sense to skimp on adequate sound insulation when building sleeping accommodations? From a builders point of view, it is considerably more difficult to improve the sound insulation of an existing building than it is to design it in, in the first instance.
I know some people will say without a moments reflection that you have a choice to stay there or not, but should hoteliers be allowed to even have hotel rooms that don't meet satisfactory standards. Should house builders be allowed to build houses that don't meet standards - i.e shouldn't building inspectors actually verify that a new house does have adequate sound insulation.
vvvvvvv
one hotel I was put up in had amongst other delights, squeaky floorboards. I used to creep around, and mark the quieter zones.
Waste of time though as in the adjacent room was a couple, coupling. Oddly enough, I swear I recognized the same woman's voice in the same room, another night, but with a different man's voice.....
I wouldn't have minded but they were at it until gone 2am
vvvvvv ... vvvvvvv
Ah yes, the curse of the hotel curtains. Lightweight efforts that don't even overlap in the middle, and/or aren't wide enough for the window so one or other side isn't entirely covered.
Trust me (because I'm a whingey old git) I could go on for ever about hotels. Did I mention the fire alarms that go off at 3.07am or how about the sudden swarm of mature flies that appear from nowhere. Cold hot water, and warm foul smelling cold water anyone?
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 2
a pointless wail about the lack of soundproofing in dwellings
Posted: 8/19/2018 4:05:33 PM
There is nothing worse than staying in a hotel with paper thin walls listening to the sound of people shagging.

I was in Spain two years ago and of course it had to be me who had the room below the champion shaggers.

Earplugs, Pauline, earplugs

Actually, I was in spain last year and I don't think I got more than two hours sleep a night thanks to really loud German party animals and when I say loud, I mean it went on from around 10pm to 5 or 6 in the morning. Outside.

Stupidly I didn't ask the hotel to move me rooms, I really should have.

Im a very light sleeper and I am also bothered with light as well, first hint of daylight and Im awake, which is why I have blackout curtains in my bedroom.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/19/2018 4:17:47 PM
Totally agreed on sleep. I was doing night shift for last 4 years until recently and I do think I'm better of now by far plus not sleeping at correct times of day can have bad health consequences as your body does maintenance during the night and if your awake working well it's not happening. Night shifts shave years of your life.
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/19/2018 4:29:08 PM
I used to work crazy shifts. In one job we did a week of nights every 8 weeks. They used to have night-shift staff but promoted them and we had to share them. I then worked a year of nights. A four on four off pattern. 8pm to 8am. I was at uni part time and used to take leave when I was at uni which was 2.5 days a fortnight. Needed a job and that was it.

Most of the other staff used to sleep on shift but I wouldn't have been comfortable doing that for more than one reason and managers kept coming in early in the morning to try and catch them out.

Hated it and don't know how I lasted as long as I did. I had permanent dark circles under my eyes.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/20/2018 12:00:41 AM
I personally couldn’t work crazy shift patterns.
I’m early to bed and early to rise, it’s always been that way.
If I have a period of not sleeping sound I can go for about 5 days on auto before I burn out.
I’m fortunately one of those people who sleep like I’m dead.
My drunken neighbour drove his van through his front door one night when his wife locked him out. Every neighbour on the block was up, me? slept through the police helicopter, vans, dogs.
I hate black-out curtains. Who wants to wake up to darkness? Bad enough in the winter. Gimme rays of sunshine gently warming and waking me up anyday.

So I guess people’s tolerance of noise levels differ.
Tripadviser/reviews should make people aware of these things.
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/20/2018 2:07:51 AM
Blackout curtains are the difference between me getting a good and a crap nights sleep so that's why I use them.

I'd also love to wake up to rays of sunshine but I'm in Scotland :)

I was away for a few days recently. I got around 3 hours sleep a night

acrosstheplains
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/20/2018 2:48:23 PM
Trouble is Roxy, we sensitive bairns are outnumbered by the sound sleepers. Which is precisely why my thread is almost pointless. Though it's possible more people are affected by noise than they themselves realise. Not enough peeps care about the minority who are "different" Though when something happens to them and they too become "different" then it's a major disaster. And the thing is there's so many things that can happen to folk. Diabetes is on the rise and if badly managed, that can lead to nerve problems and hence amputations due to not feeling a growing sore until it's become dangerously infected. A whole generation is at risk of deafness due to listening on earphones at wail too high a level. Believe me, tinnitus, which is often the first sign, isn't a laughing matter.
As a society we're too intolerant, as evidenced by sexism, racism, homophobia, disablism, and a whole range of other intolerances. Half the row about brexit stems from intolerance of johnny foreigner, it's more than the cry of "they're taking our jobs" ( have you done veg picking? - it's backbreaking miserable work )
You can get alarm clocks with lights that glow brighter over a few minutes. Seems a logical way to get the best of both worlds. We naturally went to sleep not long after night fall because we didn't have maglites 4000 years ago. Now we have street lights and neighbours' security lights shining through our bedroom windows.
Disturbed sleep patterns are linked to depression precisely because of the light aspect. Our pituitary gland is regulated in part by the light received by the retina. So our hormones go out of kilter if we're exposed to light at the wrong times.
I did think up a spiffing explanation for dreams once, but went and forgot by morning. very annoying. I had linked Schizophrenia to sleep disorders. I must try and remember what rot I had thunked up.
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/20/2018 2:58:27 PM
Dreams are apparently your brain just dealing with the rubbish your brain has been thinking about during the day. I did a course on dream analysis a few years back.

I have never been someone whose head just hits the pillow then I am out like a light. My mum doesn't suffer from insomnia as a rule although like me when she is stressed her sleeping pattern goes. Ive had to see my GP in the past for chronic insomnia and they gave me medication for it. It was brilliant, just two weeks worth though but it helped regulate my sleeping pattern even temporarily.

My mum could always nap during the day, when she came in from work she would always go for a nap. My brother does it as well, when hes on an early at work he always goes for a sleep before he goes out to play football at night. I cant do that, I really struggle to sleep during the day even if Im very very tired.

The best nights sleep I have had in a long time was around 3 years ago when I was doing bootcamps. The instructor used to work you so hard you just came in and crashed out. Im doing another one just now and its not quite as tough but tough enough and my sleeping pattern has improved, but I dont think I will ever be the person who goes to bed at 10 or 11 and wakes at 7. I wake several times during the night, thats just the way I am.

Im not sure about schizophrenia being linked to sleep disorders to be honest. Chemical imbalance in the brain I would think is caused more than just lack of sleep.

I actually love the winter months because I sleep better. Its dark when I go to bed and dark when I wake up, which makes me sound like a dafty, but it is what it is. I sleep better in the winter.

I also struggle to sleep when Im away from home, particularly if I am in a room with a large mirror on the wall and a Tv on the wall as well. When I wake in the middle of the night it just freaks me out.

I sleep in my box room at home which has neither, the change in surroundings just gives me the heebies.
 mikeparkin2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2018 4:15:30 PM
When I was younger I used to do shift work but found I could sleep through just about anything.
The wife even hoovered the bedroom with me asleep !

I am a bit different now at 61. I tend to not get to bed until 5amp so tend to get woken up by the mobile phone or some at the door. I usually manage to get back to sleep ok.

My next door neighbour got her self a new bloke and he had disco gear !
For some reason he thought it was ok to play it from 10:30pm to 7am one night at full volume.
A quick call the next day to their housing association put a stop to it.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/24/2018 1:29:45 AM
Aloe.....I was strawberry and potato picking at the age of about 10. That’s about the age I technically began my working life :)

I read something once somewhere that links dreams to body temperature, like being really hot in bed (no jokes) can bring on a dream. Kinda makes sense when you think fevers can bring on a sort of delusional state.

I have some really cuckoo dreams but I’m highly susceptible to things around me, things I see, hear, etc. These things often play out in dreams. It’s why I try to shield myself from the horrors of life now. Oh and keep it cold in the bedroom :/
I’m the same when I see or hear someone yawn...it sets me off.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/24/2018 1:50:33 PM
ah, but don't forget the height difference between you and I

So there's further to bend over to reach peas, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, etc. Men tend to be less flexible, maybe because we develop our muscles more makes our tendons less stretchy, I don't know. Or maybe because women are genetically programmed to be more flexible so it's not impossibly painful to dilate when giving birth.... I imagine I'd die from the pain of childbirth.

I reached 6'1" by the time I was 15 and 3/4, as did 3 others in my school group. Whether in those days we appeared like a bunch of threatening yobs to little old grannies, I don't know. Though we were quite good natured, even when we went out on friday night pub crawl.

a few peeps have concurred about dreams been more colorful when you're warmer, so thats a good call on the connection with fevers.

From what I remember about my theory, the connection to schizophrenia is in reverse. OK, one of the symptoms of schizophrenia can be delusions and hallucinations.
So.... we normally dream only in the REM state in between deep sleep and waking state. Our dreams generally include some aspects of the previous days, although often in a mangled format.

What if, schizophrenia is actually a disorder of the dreaming process. What if when someone with schizophrenia hallucinates, what is actually happening is that their brain is partly firing up the dreaming state, and the resulting "dream" is getting overlaid on all the other conscious thought processes and stimuli inputs. Who is to say that precisely because the dreaming function has been damaged or corrupted somehow, that when malfunctioning it can't present just a few snippets of images, sounds or thoughts, rather than the usual rich tapestry of a full on dream.

As the person believed themselves to be fully awake at that time, they're not going to even consider that the extra bits are only a partial dream sequence, they're going to assume it is real life sensory input; i.e someone really is talking to them, or someone is there waving a plucked chicken in the air.

Who hasn't nodded partly off, and on wakening again seconds later, imagined something?

To support my wild theory ( 2362nd of 5493 limited edition wacky ideas ) I also thought about the suspected links between schizophrenia and drug taking, and head injuries. Docs don't know what definitively cause schizophrenia, but there does seem to be a higher prevalence in groups of people who have had serious head injuries in childhood, or repeated lesser injuries (such as being regularly punched in the head by care-givers) or in groups who have taken "mind altering substances such as LSD which itself produces dream like states and hallucinations.

I dunno but then neither does the establishment. They still don't fully understand mental health, let alone dreams, intelligence, behavioral problems etc etc

Paulineandzeus
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/24/2018 2:34:17 PM
I think auditory hallucinations are more than dreams. My uncle was never diagnosed but he ticked every box on the schizophrenia tick list. He wasn't a drug user, like many other male people who have it or similar, something changed in his teens.

And if someone who has it is medicated, which he wasnt as he wasn't diagnosed, they can often find that their mood levels so they won't have the hallucinations and paranoia that people who don't take the medication do. The problem is when people take meds, their mood levels, they think they are well and they stop taking it and the issues start again.

I personally think its more importance to have understanding of what it is and care about the stigma attached rather than care about what causes it. (like a stuck record, not like me, but its something that has affected my life and for the worse, its hard living with someone with the condition, its also very hard losing someone you love because of it, its torture to be honest).

There are many people who never get a proper diagnosis because you only tend to get a diagnosis if you are presenting with behaviour which could cause you or other people harm. Its a fallacy that everyone with these conditions can't cope in life, my uncle was a teacher and a published writer and when he was well he was very well but when he was ill he was very unwell indeed and it was the illness that caused him to end his life.

Its probably interesting to people who haven't known anyone with it or suffer from it themselves (I'm not saying anyone on here falls into that category), just that for someone like me, its irrelevant what caused it, just the living with it is hard and losing someone because of it is hard.

A family history can trigger it I believe.

Ive only started remembering my dreams recently and they've been pretty nuts tbh. Im also one of these very sad souls who feels the cold in bed. Earlier in the year I could walk to the shop, ten min walk, when it was snowing, four hours later, Im still freezing. I feel the cold badly.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2018 2:46:22 AM
I have a recurring dream, it comes in different forms but it is essentially the same. Three things are in it but all mixed up. Me and my ex leaving our home which was then in Norway, my ex leaving me at the same time to go and live with her new chap, and me being stuck in Norway with all of our possessions, too much to fit even into a car and somehow it is my responsibility to get them out of the country quickly because the landlord was not a happy chappy. Each bit has a semblance of truth in reality but they didn't all happen at the same time. I can't read dreams but I think it is one of frustration and the inability to solve the problems in my life.

We need someone who understands these things................could be interesting
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2018 2:52:37 AM
Oop - sorry. Back on the topic. I used to go skiing a lot and was staying in a nice hotel in Austria. There's no point getting up too early as the cable cars don't run unti lthe now is skiable. But this didn't faze my party loving young Norwegian gang of male funsters next door who though it highy amusing to shower together singing songs at the top of their voices at 7am. I told them I was not amused a couple of times. On the third morning I lost the plot, burst into their room to and made more noise than they did. it was a sort of Monty Python or Catch 22 moment when after telling them a thousand times it wasn't funny, they looked at me as though I'd been kidding all along. People are weird.
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/25/2018 12:36:22 PM
A recurring dream is stuff that you haven't dealt with apparently

I used to have a recurring dream that I couldn't get my front door to close, I used to think that was anxiety incase the cats got out (they are indoor moggies).

I also used to have a dream where I found a room in my flat that I never used, it had two single beds in it, clothes and shoes

I do have a bedroom that I don't sleep in, maybe it's that but I used to have that dream over and over

I had a dream the other night about potatoes, my mum is growing veg, in my dream I was saying to her, if you plant a potato in the ground do other ones grow

And I've obviously been posting way too much about Brexit as in my dream the other night I said to my mum, if there is a no deal Brexit will we all die
 try1more
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2018 7:33:27 PM
very short on topic vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3MNXI0phaw

well i was amused!
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/26/2018 1:54:53 AM
Funny you should choose that particular vid as the "hotel" I'm at right now is within a nailgun's throw of a building site with the full range of noise making activities during the day thus ensuring that any sleep lost over night cannae be recovered after 8am on any days off that we have.

this one followed on without me noticing....

https://youtu.be/gb_BUp4QSRo
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/26/2018 4:37:07 AM
My dream last night was someone on Facebook telling Donna Giffen who is a Zumba master trainer that she was crap. She’s brilliant.

My sleeping pattern is off just now. The last time I had a decent nights sleep was when I came back from holiday and only because I was shattered
 Theydidnotfixit
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2018 7:22:51 AM
I'm happily detached
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/26/2018 11:22:23 PM
I hate the way I’m always a twat in my dreams. If I need to use the phone or run in a dream my legs and hands turn to jelly. Can’t just be me though.
I used to have this dream all the time that saw me flying/soaring through the clouds looking down on everything. I thought it was kind of like a death dream. Rather cruel of myself considering I don’t do heights. I don’t have it anymore.
Last dream I had that I remember I was arguing/debating with someone on an expression.
They were saying it’s ‘adding insult to injury’ and I was arguing ‘no no it’s adding in salt to injury’.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > a pointless wail about the lack of soundproofing in dwellings