Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Thoughts on scammer profiles: how to spot and how to prevent      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rambetino
Msg: 1
Thoughts on scammer profiles: how to spot and how to preventPage 1 of 1    
Maybe the POF staff are sometimes here, maybe not. But I think it's worth a shot.

It didn't take long for me to learn the ability to spot a scammer here in about 3 seconds:
1. Obviously fake pic - Usually only one pic. I'm not sure why this is since the pics are usually lifted from someone's online photo library (like an Instagram of the like). The shot is almost always perfect -a professional shot. How they haven't figured out yet that no one else uses pics that well done here I just don't know but at least it makes spotting them much easier.

2. Ridiculous profile description - Naturally there will be next to nothing in the "about me" section. But the rest of the info will just not make much sense. I like the profile with an Asian model who's profession is "welder"...

3. Links to off-site URL's - If not in the About Me section, in one of the earliest messages you get from them, they'll ask you keep messaging them on another platform for whatever reason. That or a "verification" site claiming needing to play it safe. In all instances, the final goal is the extract money from you.

4. Horrible English / grammar - Another big clue here. Both the profile and the messages you receive are clearly written by someone with a poor command of English.

5. Geography problems - An early spotter of these scammers is that they are VERY far away. Some have gotten better at it but most still don't bother to check how close they are to you...

Maybe there are some back-end indications that could be implemented to block this sort of thing. I'd like to mention a couple of ideas:
* I usually get these profiles reaching out to me in clumps. Anywhere from 2 to 6 different profiles all trying something nearly a minute or two apart. It's as if there's someone with a well-written script to automate the process. Maybe there's a way to detect multiple logins blasting out from the same location.

* I would guess that a lot of these operations take place outside of the US. While it's a simple thing to VPN in to the country and look like the originating traffic is within the area but I'd also guess that not all of them do this! Maybe there is already something in place to watch for that but you never know.

* I know that there's a simple method to report a single profile that is obviously just a bot or a scammer driving it, but I'd like to see an an easy way to report TRENDS in scamming. For instance, I've noticed just tonight that I'm getting a ton of fake scammer profiles adding me to their Favorites. That's all. I'm guessing that the goal is to get me to message them first. So far, it looks like they're trying to divert me to pofsnap.com. Anyways, it there could be an easy / simple way to notify the POF staff of a new scamming trend, maybe it could catch some of this sooner?

I'd love to hear more thoughts about this from you all...
 Werecow
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Thoughts on scammer profiles: how to spot and how to prevent
Posted: 8/20/2018 5:32:38 AM
Good thoughts but, unfortunately, I don't think you'll see any changes being implemented here. Since the Match.com buyout, there's been little evidence of anything but very basic maintenance on the site. The automated removal is the only thing I've seen working against the scammers/spammers, but I think that's pretty simple, only requiring 'x' number of reports to kill the profile.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/20/2018 5:58:54 AM
To be fair there was little evidence of anything but basic maintenance even before the match buyout.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2018 7:47:27 AM
I kind of like that POF 'handles' things on an individual basis.

If you know it's BS, click next. You're likely doing this with regular profiles that don't pique your interest anyway.
 Rambetino
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/20/2018 9:44:42 AM
Yeah, I have to admit, it isn't like the end of the world with these profiles. I am so used to them I don't even bother reading the profiles once I spot a certain kind of profile photo. It isn't really slowing me down. I think it's more of a thing where I'm just really annoyed that some people around the world feel the need to do things like this and I want to see them stopped as much as possible...

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's good to hear a more historical perspective of how this site has operated over the years.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2018 7:28:20 PM
You missed the most obvious way to tell if a profile is fake. If the person is much younger, much better looking than oneself, or both.

For Americans, you can tell by how the person is dressed, and what's in their pic that makes them look European. Ask someone what town they live in. Then tell them you've heard there's a beautiful lake there, and have they been there. They'll say yes, even though there's no lake☺ I had a scammer trying to friend me on Facebook, he said he was from an area in Washington state called Auburn, so I asked him what area of Auburn, and not realizing that there's an Auburn in Georgia, he mentions an area in Georgia, LOL.
 ungrokkable
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2018 12:25:24 PM
Match profile text against other profiles.

If profile text is updated run a search on all other profiles. If there are other profiles with the same text call them all fake. Don't count empty strings.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/22/2018 2:50:34 AM

If there are other profiles with the same text call them all fake

So if someone copies your profile, your profile gets deleted?

Great way to get rid of someone you don't like. Make a new profile, copy their text. BOOM both gone.
 buxy1964
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2018 2:00:06 PM
Yea ALWAYS ask them what county they live in. They have no idea! Ask them what favorite restaurants they don't know. If the list one say Oh weird i can't find that in your area What's the address? We can meet up there. What works for you? But the fastest way to get RID of a scammer is to tell them u have no intention of texting back and forth let 's meet up this week. What' works for you? If they say I can't meet up because I'm out of town whatever say ok get back to me when you are back and ready to meet! LOL
 apriloveswhiteroses
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/2/2018 4:53:55 PM

Great way to get rid of someone you don't like. Make a new profile, copy their text. BOOM both gone.

Really? .. That was one of my "wonders"..I now know how my profile is being deleted All the time.

Hmmm..Someone must "love me" a lot to be wasting their time making two profiles in order to delete one. (Mine)

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Thoughts on scammer profiles: how to spot and how to prevent