Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Which Subjects Are A Science?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Which Subjects Are A Science?Page 1 of 1    
Some can be presented so impressively that they seem to be scientific, even though most of such may be false. True sciences would be the rigorous ones that are based on deduction, experimentation, observation &c. They'd also have to be academic – in that they wouldn't be prone to being influenced by correctness, politics, religion etc, or even common sense

Therefore, pure mathematics is certainly academic and probably scientific, whereas statistics would not be. Similarly, biology or linguistics is probably a science, though engineering or medicine would not be. And astronomy is a science, but theoretical physics is probably not; inorganic or physical chemistry is, but organic chemistry may not be. It could even be that geology or pharmacology is not a proper science

Anyway, these are my (untutored) views. But what are those of the students of such subjects? For instance, is a scientific subject somehow nobler than an other one?
 LovingLoner2
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Go to school please.
Posted: 8/21/2018 9:17:46 PM
Seriously dude
if you think engineering, theoretical physics and organic chemistry may not be a science
you would not be the one to confide in about what science would be nobler.
And I don't believe the scientific community has illogical emotions of nobility.
 gingerosity
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Which Subjects Are A Science?
Posted: 8/22/2018 1:04:41 AM
Like all fields of science, in organic chemistry the actual science happens at the frontier where the goal is expanding our knowledge of life, the universe and everything using the scientific method.

Merely repeating organic synthesis of known compounds using known reactions to make something you want is no more science than is building lego. When it does not increase our understanding it is only technical rather than scientific work.

Full disclosure: Organic chemistry major.

ps. Pure mathematics is not science. It is abstracted from reality rather than subject to empirical validation. It just happens to be the case that some mathematical tools can give useful approximations when applied in scientific endeavours.
 DDSearle
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What Constitutes A Science?
Posted: 8/22/2018 6:12:27 AM
It's less difficult to state what isn't rather than what is a scientific body of thought. And it's easy for me to see that the presentation by the media etc of, say, Law, as an academic study is flawed. By similar means, the impressionable come to accept that Environmental Science or even Politics is a science. And so, they come to inhabit a world in which just about any subject is a science; and, in which it's increasingly hard to pick out the real sciences
Posted: 8/25/2018 8:06:34 PM
I think I'd say that math is a tool. If and when that tool is developed further, there may have been some science done there.
 dolatar
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/26/2018 4:22:16 AM
^^^^your definitions of science very narrow notwithstanding, this board once so good has hopefully hit bottom.
 aremeself
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2018 10:45:46 PM
What the hell, deduction, experimentation, observation!!!!

Your're getting pretty serious here!

That narrows it down a little too much to fit most peoples worlds......
 apriloveswhiteroses
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/13/2018 8:33:49 AM
https://youtu.be/wrlhIjHeIuw
 DDSearle
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2018 9:12:54 AM
What a good video. And the man that made it would have more talent in the tip of his little finger than obtains in the soul of those that will pretend to be a scientist. In other words, critics of a pseudo-science can be as caring or ecological as those that'll make a show of such qualities
But why the white roses? These are more, for me –
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEuuIsajrWk
 _Batmån
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2018 12:19:55 PM

Non sequitur.

In other words, critics of a pseudo-science can be as caring or ecological as those that'll make a show of such qualities.

Spake the renown pseudo-intellectual.
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2018 12:48:42 PM
To heaved used "spake" correctly in a sentence.
The poet.
 apriloveswhiteroses
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/13/2018 2:16:58 PM

Non sequitur.

How so?
 aremeself
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2018 1:00:57 AM
I saw the video in message 8.......

We need

Guidance,

You think?
Posted: 12/28/2018 8:19:32 PM
To defer to guidance
is to deny your own responsibility and capacity
it can even be to feign innocence when guilty

- Me
 aremeself
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2018 6:39:21 PM
I wonder how bad we have to f- it up to admit we are not qualified as humans.

I do hear of those with their heads where they shouldn't be saying that things are actually progressing, as in, getting better.

It's a pride thing, I guess.....
Defiance.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Which Subjects Are A Science?