Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > POF sending fake 'meet me' notifications?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mr_Chatterbox
Msg: 1
POF sending fake 'meet me' notifications?Page 1 of 1    
Good afternoon,

Before I start I would like to say that POF is my #1 choice for online dating. I have used this website on-and-off for nearly 15 years and I've had a marriage and lots of short term relationships let alone met people who are still friends. I have always had a good experience and I've never needed to pay to upgrade.

That being said, what I'm about to say is based on plenty of experience and one of my biggest gripes about POF. I get a lot of 'meet me' requests and most are obviously fake and intended to try and make people upgrade. When you search for the profile via username or image match, they don't exist. In fact I've had notifications from someone I was actually dating when clearly she didn't send it. It's more noticeable when you join/rejoin, which I have done plenty of times over the last 15 years.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this and I'm not prepared to upgrade just to prove a point. It would be nice if POF offered some kind of trial for those who have had an account for a set amount of time. That way you are more likely to keep them as paid users.

Alternatively, being able to have access to the upgraded features for a smaller amount of time (e.g. 1 week) at a higher premium (e.g. £6) would work for a lot of people who are new or don't want to spend every day on the website.

Your views please.
 Elektro523
Msg: 2
POF sending fake 'meet me' notifications?
Posted: 9/3/2018 3:26:27 AM
If you would do a search you would find several topics about this already. Its well known to regulars of this site that Meet Me does this. I have been messaged by people claiming I hit yes to them on Meet Me, I don't use it. I have messaged people who supposedly said yes on Meet Me, they claim they don't use it. One time I had a subscription and was able to see the time and date a person was last online. I noticed that several profiles that supposedly said yes to me on Meet Me hadn't been active in months and years.
 cutestud1980
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/10/2018 10:17:40 AM
So what if he has posted this when already been posts!
It’s clearly a problem more posts aboutnit the better, oh and let’s not get started on the fake profiles.
 FurballZen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 6:48:15 AM
Sometimes, the spam bots send me a Meet Me, which i can see on the WM10 app without paying, usually these accounts get deleted before you can view them. Other times ive received one from a real user, but didnt see them in my list, looked them up manually and saw they were real, i guess somehow "unclicked" the meet me. I will say that with the amount of non-responses and lack of profile views, there are a LOT of fake accounts that arent spammers, meant to pad the results or some other reason. Ive been on here myself off and on since 2004 i believe and this is more apparent now than back then. I used to never have a problem getting responses, even if they were "no" or "nty" now the emails just go unread forever.
 Natey2
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2018 7:00:09 AM
I've resorted to letting the user know that I got a Meet Me from them.
If the user claims they didn't initiate the Meet Me, it is kinda awkward because they may not have liked me.
 Junrei
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2018 5:32:37 PM
If they are doing this this is illegal actually. Law suits have been made about that.
 profedf
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Your message about pending lawsuits for fake "meet me's"
Posted: 11/6/2018 11:02:33 AM
That's good to know but can you provide more information please, such as;

Are these in federal court or state court?
Are any of them class actions that the rest of us can get in on or are they individual lawsuits?
Do you have the names or citations for the cases so we can read about them and consider joining them?
Have any of them gone to judgment yet, and if so, what were the results?

If the rulings were in favor of the plaintiffs, I would like to request a refund of what I have been paying POF for "fake" services.

Thanks!
 profedf
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Paying POF to not send fake meet me's
Posted: 11/6/2018 11:07:14 AM
Sorry to tell you, but I AM a paying member and I seem to be getting as many, or more, fake "meet me" emails than before I was a paid member. It is becoming so frustrating to get those and not know if they are real or not, only to waste time trying to find out, that I am just about ready to cancel my paid membership. I figure that if I am going to be the victim of repeated frauds, and treated so disrespectfully, why pay for the privilege!
 cnuccio
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2018 6:31:05 AM
i keep getting fake profiles with the same MO. first the username is always some variant of

bonnixhsgd_bamajdhrhrj

and its always one, very nice, obviously fake pic, IF you can get to the account in time its been removed.
they obviously use english as a second language and have preposterous account details.

like for work she's a surgeon but for type its student.

they say they are 48 with a pic of a 22 year old.
its the same shit every time.

if i even look at the app i get a few right away.
such an obvious bot or scam. im letting my membership expire because there is no way to
contact anyone who would do anything about and the phone number is well known fake shit they
never answer.

this site is essentially a giant scam. **** the owners and my sympathies to the actual real users.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > POF sending fake 'meet me' notifications?