Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Can An Idea Be A Thought      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A ThoughtPage 1 of 1    
I think not. And the widespread overuse of the word may be weakening its meaning and blunting the language
An idea is just something that enters the mind, though without being in the setting of words that would make it a thought
And so an idea is a fleeting concept that can evoke an emotion &c; but a thought shall stand on its own
The idea is only a word or phrase. And it requires minimal effort to utter. However, thoughts are the application of thinking. That they tend to be expressed in a sentence shows something of the work that goes into them
 DDSearle
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Can A Thought Be An Idea
Posted: 9/11/2018 12:42:45 PM
On thinking about it,
Oughtn't I have entitled this as 'Can A Thought Be An Idea'?
 _Batmån
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Can A Thought Be An Idea
Posted: 9/11/2018 2:10:49 PM
I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 9/11/2018 3:50:26 PM
so did you concoct this crazy idea and thought to post it here or you thought this up and the crazy idea to post it. I have given this some thought but still have no idea what you mean.
 DDSearle
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Can A Thought Be An Idea
Posted: 9/12/2018 1:22:05 PM
In the U K, has arisen a (probably self-appointed) body that's called 'The Academy Of Ideas', which has been described or presented as a 'think-tank'. But why, that of 'Ideas'? I think, that if it's to be taken at all seriously, it ought to be called 'The Academy Of Thoughts'. And as to whether a bunch of pseudo-intellectuals (and less-than academic poseurs) has a right to call itself an academy should also be discussed. Theirs was, by no-means, what they'd call 'a good idea', nor what I'd call such a 'thought'
Can A Thought Be An Idea
Posted: 9/13/2018 6:44:16 PM
I thought that I had an idea once.
 LovingLoner2
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Can you be any dumber DDSearle?
Posted: 9/14/2018 2:40:30 PM
Seriously dude, get a life and stop revealing how dumb you are here.
 justinelle
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2018 2:50:54 PM
An idea or opinion is produced by thinking, or occurring suddenly in the mind.

Thinking is an activity of an existential value for humans, there is no consensus as to how it is defined or understood according to WIKIPEDIA

So its a chicken and egg situation where meaningless is the name of the game.
 pfif
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2019 10:20:15 PM
Thinking is a process (and a verb):

"I thought nobody was home."

(Surprised, I discovered Ellen was there, too)

An idea is a possession and an entity (a noun; it exists externally once I share it with someone else):

"John gave me an idea: remove the light bulb only after pulling the main fuse."

Now I have John's idea, too.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/10/2019 5:05:56 AM

Can An Idea Be A Thought. I think not.

An idea Is a thought.

An idea is just something that enters the mind, though without being in the setting of words that would make it a thought

First, an idea is something that is spawned within the mind. Second, a thought does not require it being in the "setting of words". We have sub-conscious thoughts all the time. In fact, most of our thoughts are sub-conscious. But if you're just talking about conscious thoughts -- they don't need a worded script in our heads. Following thoughts thinking about said initial thought(s) will usually be put into words in our heads once we start churning about it.

And so an idea is a fleeting concept that can evoke an emotion

An idea doesn't require evoking an emotion. Something that isn't an idea may or may not evoke an emotion. An idea is putting together thoughts to make a new one, that reaches some sort of conclusion that wasn't consciously realized at the time.
 pfif
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/13/2019 1:26:49 PM
I think not said Descartes .. who promptly disappeared.
 lnitia
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/14/2019 9:55:37 AM
as far idea's being a new conclusion- not necessarily often we have "ideas" of what things are supposed to be. These supposed held ideas-indeed were not with us at our blank slate of birth: so in that aspect many new conclusive thoughts do arise from, cultural, social, familial programing, therefore indeed, new yet beyond that ??? and any challenge or "new" we may not allow to permeate or occur in our mindset-we do combine our own existing ideas/thoughts to formulate "new".
There is no "new" objective ideas from/for individual humans: As we can only stand as subjects to our personal life and experiences, then express from that particular space..We may challenge such, we may create ideas that function within it, or offer ways to understand our own concluded ideas- I must iterate our thoughts "ideas" only can be from our personal understanding of our own experiences-so certainly individuated ideas that may offer a "fresh" , refurbished, reconstituted (etc) outlook - but new>>?
If i am open and not closed to others ideas i will see their fresh idea as new! but it is not new for them it has been brewing simmering for their whole life.. a good stew!
 backcreek7
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/17/2019 8:43:20 AM
..... I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat .....

..... ^ saw wee ^ ..... ( couldn't help myself )

..... heart / Puddy Tat / sun .....
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/17/2019 2:21:42 PM

as far idea's being a new conclusion- not necessarily often we have "ideas" of what things are supposed to be. These supposed held ideas-indeed were not with us at our blank slate of birth: so in that aspect many new conclusive thoughts do arise from, cultural, social, familial programing, therefore indeed, new yet beyond that ???

The (sub) conclusion doesn't have to be definitive. All an idea is, is a thought that puts two previous things (thoughts) together to make a new one. A new thought Is the "conclusion" -- the "new thing", or thought.

We just call a new thought an "idea" when it has some "newness" zing to it.
 DDSearle
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/17/2019 4:10:13 PM
Can a thought be formed without language? I think not
Can an idea come to mind without words? I believe that it can
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/17/2019 4:49:40 PM
even plants communicate.
are pheromones language?

or how about a night or two later after you rearrange your funiture...
the thought and idea might both have been there but you still kicked the "not there"
coffee table

my toes are riddled with this complaint.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/17/2019 5:53:44 PM

Can a thought be formed without language? I think not

Yes, of course it can. A thought is the by-product of any thinking. By your rationale, if you have no set language to go by, you do not Think. LOL. I just thought of an apple. I just thought of some fruit I don't even know the name of. This thought is of that fruit, and I'm wondering (thinking; thoughts) about how it tastes. No language required, except to Explain it To You.

An idea is just a type of thought. Riding on other thoughts.
 lnitia
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Can An Idea Be A Thought
Posted: 1/17/2019 6:04:55 PM
^^Exactly the whole experience of shared languages lol!! Simple!! Easy Peasy the algorithm of the cave! lol or allegory if you think of it! Plato, Socrates, Aristotle?? who cares we know what I am going for here!!! Check your shadow what is it thinking , what does it represent, what is it saying-asking?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Can An Idea Be A Thought